Dentists are likely to suffer memory and kidney problems from long-term exposure to the mercury in tooth fillings. A study of 180 dentists by researchers at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary in Scotland found they had up to four times the normal level of mercury in their urine and nails and had more kidney disorders and memory lapses than the general public.

“We found several differences in the health and cognitive functioning between our dentists and the control group,” says Dr. Ewan Macdonald. “These differences could not be directly attributed to their exposure to mercury, but as mercury exposure at higher levels is known to cause similar health effects an association cannot be ruled out.”
read more