News Stories

You Could be Allergic to Your Cell Phone

There are lots of reasons that cell phones can be dangerous, but here's one you never thought of: You can be allergic to them!

Many of us are "allergic" to hearing so many inane cell phone conversations going on all around us, but we're talking about real allergies--to nickel or cobalt, the primary metals in many phones. As you hold them up to your ear, they can cause a rash on your cheek or chin.

ABC News reports that when allergists tested mobile phones for the two allergens, they found that roughly a third of all Blackberries contain nickel. And nickel was found in about 91% of flip phones, while cobalt was found in 52% of them. Droids and iPhones contain neither metal.

The thing that gets us all itchy and twitchy is the fact that so few of our listeners support us. Yet despite having no advertising on other media, we have 60% more readers and listeners than we did a year ago (NOTE: Subscribers can still listen to this fascinating show), through word-of-mouth alone. Now if only more of them would subscribe, there's a chance we might still be here tomorrow (and new two-year subscribers get a coupon for a FREE crop circle calendar--but onlywhile supplies last!)



Subscribe to Unknowncountry sign up now