News Stories

News Stories relating to "smoking"

Why It's Harder to Quit

Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances in the world. A reanalysis of amounts of nicotine in major brand name cigarettes sold in Massachusetts from 1997 to 2005 has confirmed what reseachers have long suspected: manufacturers have steadily increased the levels of this addictive substance in cigarettes, probably in order to make it...

read more

Cigarette Addiction INCREDIBLY Strong

We've asked this question before: why don't we make more effort to break our bad habits? A new study of 154 smokers who had surgery to remove early stage lung cancer shows that half of them STARTED SMOKING AGAIN within 12 months of their operation, and more than one-third were smoking again after a year. 60% of the patients who started smoking...

read more

Smoke in Your Car Can Kill You?or Your Kids

New research measured secondhand tobacco smoke in cars and found pollution levels that are hazardous to children?and to you. Two years ago, we reported that, contrary to popular opinion, smoking can MAKE you fat. Now it's been discovered that People who are both very obese and who smoke increase their risk of death by 3.5 to 5 times. We also...

read more

Smoking Menthol Makes It Harder to Quit

Big tobacco companies are reeling under a recent $200 billion class action lawsuit which says that they falsely advertised "light" cigarettes as safe, even though they were no safer than other brands. Most smokers are now desperately trying to quit. Menthol and non-menthol cigarettes appear to be equally harmful, but scientists have discovered...

read more

How to Quit

If Art Bell can do it, ANYBODY can. What's that? Why, you can STOP SMOKING, of course. How? Scientists say there's only one way: go cold turkey.

Robin Lloyd writes in LiveScience.com that a sudden decision to quit is two to three times more effective than planning ahead and cutting down gradually, despite the fact that, as researcher...

read more

Smokers: Eat Your Cabbage!

We've recently posted articles about how smoking makes you fat (contrary to popular belief). No one should smoke (and that means YOU), but if you do, start eating cruciferous vegetables: cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, turnips, collards, Brussels sprouts, radish, turnip and watercress. They may protect you from lung cancer?IF you have...

read more

How Can Non Smokers Get Lung Cancer?

Those of us who watched the heroic struggle of paralyzed Superman actor Chris Reeve have been devastated to learn that his widow Dana Reeve, who is only 44 years old, has lung cancer?even though she has never smoked. How is this possible?

This also happened to nonsmoker Alice Trillin, wife of writer Calvin Trillin, who is most famous for...

read more

The Most Sinful Towns in the US

Boston and Boulder, Colorado, share a special distinction:They lead the nation in marijuana use. Northwestern Iowa andsouthern Texas have the lowest use. The federal governmenttracks the use of drugs, cigarettes, alcohol andvarious other substances, both legal and illegal, so theycan figure out where tax dollars should be used fortreatment and...

read more

Why Nonsmokers Get Lung Cancer

Newswise - Talk about BAD LUCK: some people get lung cancer who have never smoked a cigarette! Lung cancer patients who have never smoked probably have one of two genetic mutations thatare linked to the disease. Scientists hope this will helpthem understand why the same program of chemotherapy and/orradiology works for some cancer...
read more

Smoking?Why It's So Hard to Quit

Newswise - Seven years after tobacco companies signed the MasterSettlement Agreement, which prohibited them from paying fortobacco brand appearances in movies, the number of tobaccobrand appearances in movies has decreased. Buttobacco placements in movies made especially for teens haveactually INCREASED. According to...

read more

Secondhand Smoke Kills Pets

Here's a new reason to quit: You're killing your pets. We'vereported here before that secondhand smoke cangive your catcancer. Now we've learned that a couple decided to stopsmoking because it was killing their parrot.

Kevin Bartley and Sharon Wood quit smoking after theirparrot Jay Jay had to be put on a machine to help himbreathe. They...

read more

Smoking: Cutting Back Doesn?t Help

Most smokers find it much easier to cut down their number of cigarettes a day than they do to quit smoking entirely. Now scientists know why: they're actually still getting the same amount of nicotine and cancer-causing agents because they've unconsciously changed their smoking style so that the inhale more deeply.

Cancer researcher...

read more

Why Teens Smoke More

Why do so many teenagers start smoking, when adults all around them are trying so hard to quit? It's not just because they're rebellious and more easily fooled by advertising, it's also because of the state of their developing brains.

Shaoni Bhattacharya writes in New Scientist that teens who start smoking are more likely to become...
read more

Safe Cigarettes Could Have Been Made Years Ago

A company is developing "safe" cigarettes that reduce the risk of emphysema, using research done by the big tobacco companies. Why didn't these companies use their own research to make cigarettes safer? They were afraid it would be seen as a confession that their other cigarettes were harmful, at a time when they were being sued by smokers.

read more

Time Slows Down for Ex-Smokers

People who try quit smoking experience a slower sense of passing time, just when they wish it would go more quickly. This may be due to the effects of nicotine withdrawal on the brain. Researcher Laura Cousino Klein says, "The time perception impairment that we observed in the abstaining smokers may be part of the reason they also reported...

read more

Proof that Second Hand Smoke Kills

Most people admit that smoking can kill you, but many of us are unsure about second hand smoke. Surely being in a smoky room can't be that bad for you?but a new study shows it is. The evidence was revealed unintentionally when Helena, Montana imposed a six-month ban on smoking in all public places. Doctors discovered the number of heart attacks...

read more

Bad Behavior Good for Parkinson's

People who smoke and drink coffee have a lower risk of Parkinson's disease. In a study by Harvard researchers, drinking coffee was associated with a 30% lower risk of Parkinson?s disease and there was a 60% lower risk of the disorder among smokers. In general, each additional cup of coffee lowered the likelihood of having Parkinson's by 10%,...

read more

Smoking Kills Your Pets

Smoking may not only kill you, it can kill your pets as well. "Cats that live with cigarette smokers are twice as likely to develop feline lymphoma," says Antony Moore of Tufts University. Feline lymphoma is a deadly cancer of the blood and immune system. "It was believed that the major cause of feline lymphoma was feline leukaemia virus," he...

read more

Smoking Mothers Can Make Daughters Infertile

If you smoke while pregnant, your daughters may not grow upto be able to have children of their own. Researchersbelieve this is because smoke from tobacco damages theirdeveloping fallopian tubes, where fertilization of the eggtakes place.

Researchers did a study of 239 women who were undergoingin-vitro fertilization and found that 68%...

read more

Smoking?Lung Cancer isn?t the Only Problem

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) of the World Health Organization warns that lung cancer isn?t the only type of cancer caused by smoking and passive smoke inhalation. Cancers of the stomach, liver, cervix and kidney and myeloid leukemia are also linked to smoking. They found no evidence of a link between smoking and breast...

read more

Smoking Kills Brain Cells

Nicotine can kill brain cells and stop new ones forming in the hippocampus, a brain region involved in memory, says Pier Piazza of France's National Institute for Health and Medical Research (INSERM) in Bordeaux. The finding might explain the cognitive problems experienced by many heavy smokers when they try to quit.

The team allowed...

read more
Subscribe to Unknowncountry sign up now