Introvert or Extrovert? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Psychology, Sociology & the Mind » Introvert or Extrovert? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sharon2
Username: sharon2468

Post Number: 5235
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 1:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm pretty sure I am an introvert. At least in social situations, I don't say things just to be making sounds with my mouth. That would be 'death' to a party, though. Parties depend on small talk and noise.

I've always wondered why most people are so uncomfortable with silence? I love silence.
I also suck at small talk.
Our life is determined by the choices we make!

Stephen in AZ
Username: stephenm

Post Number: 3068
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I would have to be classified as an introvert, too.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5236
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I read something that said years ago the silent types were held in high regard. Today, it is the opposite. It's the person with the 'gift of gab' that is admired.

Sometimes I think I must be the only one that thinks it is obnoxious (to never shut up).

Silent waters run deep....
The empty vessel makes the loudest noise....

Buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 6337
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 8:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

optimisticly introverted :-)
I dislike attention..
I dislike blushing..
I dislike being Shy

(Message edited by buddie on November 17, 2013)

Buddie

Post Number: 6338
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 8:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Oh Ma Gawd..
How I dislike small talk..
and people do it every morning
on my Bus route..you saw them
yesterday..what is it that you
want to say that everyone has
not yet heard..ahhhgggggggggggggg

Mama Shine
Username: mama_shine

Post Number: 17951
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 8:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I can be either.

If I'm quiet, it's my choice.
I have never been shy. If I choose
to be in a social situation I enjoy
conversation.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return.
~Nature Boy

Sharon2

Post Number: 5241
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Actually, I enjoy 'one on one' conversations. It's the room full of people that makes me sooooo uncomfortable. It must be that feeling of being on-stage like I have to perform and am being judged.

Buddie, I know exactly how you feel about the small talk. One of my co-workers talks non-stop. Inside my head I am saying, "Shut up, shut up, shut up."

Mama Shine
Username: mama_shine

Post Number: 17952
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sharon,

If she/he asks you a question
then answer with impromptu interpretive
dance.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return.
~Nature Boy

Sharon2

Post Number: 5242
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 6:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi Mama, I wish! My co-worker doesn't need to be conversing. It is usually a monologue.
I discovered early on that any input on my part results in a (loud) sermon. So basically, I just nod and do my work. I try and tune her out.

We think she might be bi-polar. Don't know for sure.

blue
Username: jennyblue

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 5:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm not sure where I first read about the following way of thinking about introvert/extravert, but it is one I subscribe to (more or less) from Wikipedia:

Extraversion and introversion are typically viewed as a single continuum. Thus, to be high on one it is necessary to be low on the other. Carl Jung and the authors of the Myers–Briggs provide a different perspective and suggest that everyone has both an extraverted side and an introverted side, with one being more dominant than the other. Rather than focusing on interpersonal behavior, however, Jung defined introversion as an "attitude-type characterised by orientation in life through subjective psychic contents" (focus on one's inner psychic activity); and extraversion as "an attitude type characterised by concentration of interest on the external object", (the outside world).

I used to think I was an extravert. I love people, and I love to talk (and, unfortunately, am guilty of being a monologuer (not surprising, eh?) -- tho people often compliment me on being a good listener. How well I listen used to depend whether or not I was experiencing ADD to the extent that I could not "listen" to someone because I couldnt remember what they said at the beginning of the sentence by the time they got to the end (usually during extreme bouts of PMS which was 2 1/2 our of every 5 weeks). It also happens when I become anxious. I can be very social, but I am not so much any more because I dislike being the center of attention or being completely ignored and I rarely seem to be in situations in which I get to be somewhere in the middle. I also rarely can find people who converse about the same things I like to talk about anymore (present company excluded) . . . . and when I do chime in to other people's conversations (in my now feeble attempts to socialize), I become rather parrot-like and get myself in trouble because I tend to take whatever it is a few steps too far (even if its not what I really think(sigh). I have great sympathy for people that have characteristics similar to mine.

But according to Jung, I am an introvert because my world is formed from the inside out. I dont rely on what others think, regardless of whether they are experts, popular, or whatever. I do my own synthesis, form my own opinions, and have weathered many a storm of opposition not particularly caring whether or not I was "right" or not. In my old age I have gained confidence in myself and my stubborness because I do often turn out to be right (not that anybody remembers by the time everybody else finds out what I knew all along . . . .) My creativity comes from within and while it can sparked by something "out there" it is only because it touches something inside me that set me off on my own journey. I tried to fit in when I was little, but I began to think it was a losing battle when as a sophomore in college someone commented that I was just one of those people "who march to a different drummer." I was devastated. But I finally came round decades later to thinking she was probably right. I never relished being "different" and I rather distained my "artist friends" who seemed to go out of their way to be different. To me, they werent nearly so different as they wanted everyone to think they were, and I really couldnt understand why they wanted to be different in the first place. I just wanted to fit in.
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Hopi Elders 2001.

to be a rock and still to roll . . .
change we can believe in is here -- The Ed Show
Love is the Way ~ Jesus of Nazareth

Sharon2

Post Number: 5244
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 6:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Me too! LOL

But seriously, Blue, you summed it up very nicely.

Scientists, artists and a lot of creative people are mostly introverts. Maybe because they are comfortable by themselves (with solitary endeavors) and inside their heads, thinking, meditating and pondering.

Extroverts are more comfortable outside themselves. They are in sales, public relations and professions where they have excellent people skills. Going inward is not something they enjoy or seek, usually.

Buddie

Post Number: 6450
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 3:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi blue I copied your post and
sent it to a friend of mine..
BEAUTIFUL just BEAUTIFUL is how
she related to your words ..
Thanks from both of us :-)

Mark A. Foster
Username: markfoster

Post Number: 689
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 9:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The Myers-Briggs test can measure introversion/extroversion (at least to some extent):

http://www.kisa.ca/personality/
http://www.keirsey.com/sorter/register.aspx
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm
Cheers, Mark
Portal to 29 domains: http://www.markfoster.net
Radio Show: http://www.markalanfoster.com

bean
Username: tina

Post Number: 2712
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 9:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Introvert or extrovert?
Well,... at this point in time I wonder...."Who Cares???" I mean really,.....what's the point to it?? Ya wanna put a label on yourself...go ahead....I guess....

bean

Post Number: 2714
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 7:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

My above post sounds kinda crabby....didn't really mean it to be that way....I guess I'm noticing more and more how we get bombarded with labels. All stuff fits into a particular box.....except that it doesn't...

Sharon2

Post Number: 5525
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 6:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I recently read this book.

Quiet: The power of Introverts in a world that can't stop talking.

http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-Power-Introverts-World-Talking/dp/0307352153
"I believe in the sun even if it isn't shining. I believe in love even if I am alone. I believe in God even when He is silent."

blue

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Enjoying this topic -- had missed some posts . . . Funny title, Sharon :-) I wonder . . . do introverts write more than they talk? in general . . .

I dont think people who feel they are extraverts shld suddenly feel like they have to be on the defensive or that they are somehow less artistic -- or whatever -- Altho I do understand how many introverts -- so long considered to be meek, anti-social, or not strong are finally getting to understand and appreciate themselves and garner more respect in the general psyche. We all need to feel comfortable celebrating ourselves -- just the way we are becaise we need all kinds of people and points of views to make things work right :-) ==
Hopi Elders 2001.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5527
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 3:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I bet they do, Blue... because writing is usually a solitary endeavor.

I would bet that most extroverts don't fret about being social or being the life of the party. I would imagine that they feel very lucky. But on the other hand, they need to be with other people and are uncomfortable being by themselves for long.
"I believe in the sun even if it isn't shining. I believe in love even if I am alone. I believe in God even when He is silent."

Buddie

Post Number: 6455
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 9:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

bean ..
I don't know don't care ..
I did not invent the box ..

S2 ..
yes it seems they NEVER
stop talking for talking
sake in our company kitchen

Hey There World ..
I have a quiet personality and I'm picky
in who I choose because I feel more than
hear words

(Message edited by buddie on May 07, 2014)

Sharon2

Post Number: 5528
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Buddie, I like your personality

bean

Post Number: 2715
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Buddy.....hummmmm...and I also like your personality, though I don't always understand it !!!

Sharon....." They need to be with other people and are uncomfortable being by themselves." THAT"S what I'm alluding to....This across the board generalization of a particular style of being, that to me carries a MUCH broader....or complex... reality.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5529
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 6:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ok, I stand corrected. (MOST) of the outgoing people I know, seek out others. The outgoing people I know personally, say they are bored when left to their own devices.

bean

Post Number: 2716
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sharon,

Honestly, I was not about trying to correct you. The point I was trying to make, ( and your post gave me an example to use..) was...is...that we seem to want to pigeon hole others and ourselves into little reference boxes...which leaves out a lot of room for greater understanding. I DO IT TOO! I've been noticing this in my reality and thought to add a disclaimer to the notion that if this is this, then that is that....which doesn't leave much wiggle room for further contemplation or explanation....in my mind anyway.!

Introvert or extrovert is not the issue I was concerned about. I do not care. My post was having concern for this human tendency to put eggs in a carton and close the lid.

I expect my post is a reminder to me, more than anyone else. OK Bean, remember and apply!

Sharon2

Post Number: 5530
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 2:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Gotcha....

Buddie

Post Number: 6456
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 8:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

bean .. thank you :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCUmSijiWxA

Sharon2 .. Ditto

blue

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 8:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

:-) Its wonderful to witness misunderstandings clear up ;) So much more uplifting than posters hurling insults at each other. A little effort and communication and everybody ends up smarter!

Bean, I think labels can be confining and cause problems, too -- but when you think about it -- that's what words are -- labels for concepts/things that we use to communicate verbally (does verbally include the written word?) with each other. I like your analogy about using labels to put things/people in a box/carton and close the lid. Definitely happens too much.

ps. Sharon and Buddie -- thanks for letting me know my post made sense and was helpful :-)
Hopi Elders 2001.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5533
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 9:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Right on, Blue! We are ALL nice people!

Its just too bad that the opposites on the spectrum are seen by most people as bad and good rather than just variations in the tapestry.

Like one is better/more acceptable, than the other....
fat and thin
short and tall
introvert and extrovert
gay and straight

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: