Lessons from unexpected places...... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Psychology, Sociology & the Mind » Lessons from unexpected places...... « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 31, 2010Roxie75 3-31-10  8:20 am
Archive through April 27, 2010Roxie75 4-27-10  8:17 am
Archive through May 10, 2010Sharon275 5-10-10  3:07 pm
Archive through February 27, 2011Buddie75 2-27-11  2:37 pm
Archive through July 22, 2011susi75 7-22-11  10:04 am
Archive through May 23, 2013allen75 5-23-13  1:20 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 6010
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 8:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

SW I'm so relieved to have you
posting.. I just figured you ran
off with Mark.. who left just after
or was it before you left..
The Mark who used to post in here..
the guy who used to correct proper
English and spelling mistakes ..
That was my mind set when most of
your friends were very worried about
you :-(

allen
Username: eastsider01

Post Number: 3316
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

SW I'm kinda slow, if ya know what I mean, so can we maybe skip the switch? I know, I know, I can be frustrating but I do catch on, usually. I get it now, mostly anyhow. Peace+Love=Happiness!
I have never experienced another human being. I have experienced my impressions of them.
Robert Anton Wilson

Sharon2
Username: sharon2468

Post Number: 4868
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 8:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Second Wind, like Buddie said -
when you suddenly dropped off the board, we were worried about you.
Some of us tried to contact you but we heard nothing back...
so we are glad you are posting again.
Our life is determined by the choices we make!

Second Wind
Username: second_wind

Post Number: 6661
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Buddie, I DID get which Mark you were referring to! I laughed when I read your post asking if I married him!!! I understood!

--------------------

Wow, I know better than to compose on the board rather than compose in notepad or something first..............But I did it again. I composed on the board, and then hit a wrong key and closed out my browser and lost a long post.

So, I am going to take it as a message from the universe, and shorten it.

For now, I will just say that, back on June 9, 2012, before I left the board, I sent PMs to 8 different people with my email addy.

I sent out one batch, and then discovered I had made a typo on my email addy.

So I sent out a second batch with the correction.

I won't say anything else about that right now, except to say that I did just discover today (when I looked back on my old computer at my saved posts and PMs) that I got confused between "Sharon2" and "Rose of Sharon".

Sharon2 got the original PM with the typo.

Rose of Sharon got the "Correction" PM.

Sorry about that mistake.....

But I most certainly made the effort to let those who I believed cared, and who had been actively posting at that time, know how to contact me.

I had elaborated a lot more in the post that I just lost, on who responded to me, and what happened over time.......but I am going to leave all that out of this post.

-------------

"As long as I have the energy, I'm gonna be a provocateur, and a complainer, and someone who tries to make things different than they are, because, as everyone knows, things can always be better than they are."

Todd Rundgren

From the album "2nd Wind", recorded before a live audience, at The Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco......a place that I have vivid memories of from a childhood trip to SF.

Change Myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v10gEIUcK70

Half of me wants to knock you out
Half of me wants to tell you that I'm sorry, so sorry
Meanwhile, half of the world wants to scream and shout
At half of the world
Just like you and I
Just another fact of life
We plan and we scheme
'til there's nothing left of our little dream
But half of the time I can't decide and
Half of the time I'm petrified

I want to change the world
I want to make it well
How can I change the world
When I can't change myself
Try again tomorrow
I'd love to change your mind
Capture your citadel
How could I change your mind
If I can't change myself
Try again tomorrow

Both of us want to win this fight
Both of us think the other is mistaken, so mistaken
Meanwhile, everyone wants to take up sides
So everyone helps us to fall apart
Just another fact of life
It's hard to play fair
And it's so easy to pretend to care
But if nobody wants to share the blame
Then everyone gets more of the same

I want to change the world
I want to make it well
How can I change the world
When I can't change myself
Try again tomorrow
I'd love to change your mind
Capture your citadel
How could I change your mind
If I can't change myself
Try again tomorrow

If I want more peace in the world
Then I must make peace with myself
If I want more trust in the world
Then I've got to trust in myself
If I want more love in the world
I must show more love to myself
"In the end, only kindness matters."

allen
Username: eastsider01

Post Number: 3317
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 5:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

SW, did you not get any of my emails?
I have never experienced another human being. I have experienced my impressions of them.
Robert Anton Wilson

Second Wind

Post Number: 6665
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 7:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

allen, I got a couple of PMs from you right before I left, and I got ONE email from you to my yahoo addy, which I sent to you in a separate PM from the ones I talked about above, but during the same time. I saved that email from you, as well.

I also remember distinctly (and have saved) the last several POSTS you made to me right before I left.

I will try to get a PM or email off to you within a day or so, if not sooner.

Buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 6015
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 7:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I don't need an answer :-)
except that I am
.. a woman
what do I want?
...I don't know
when do I want it?
...NOW
alls good NOW :-)

I missed you though
like I would miss some
others .. my virtual
family

Second Wind

Post Number: 6669
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 7:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Stephen in AZ
Username: stephenm

Post Number: 3065
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Stopping by...

Second Wind

Post Number: 7045
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 2:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Stephen is an angel......

***sigh***

Second Wind

Post Number: 7056
Posted on Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 4:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I made a request for prayers tonight on the "Prayers Needed" thread.

After Mama's reply, I feel compelled to make some comments.

In your response to me on the prayer thread, Mama, you said:

May you receive Divine guidance
through peace of mind.

This will be a long post, and I doubt that anyone will be motivated to read it all, due to it's complicated nature, and the fact that it doesn't affect any of you personally.

I feel I must point out a truism, that peace of mind is a PREREQUISITE for the ability to be able to receive divine guidance.

I quoted the wisdom of "Festus Haggen", who said:

"The more a feller's got on his mind, the less time he's got to think on any one thing."

That was an over-simplified and straight-to-the-point way of describing the more complex concept of "Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs", which points out that the most basic human needs must first be met, before any kind of "enlightenment" or "divine guidance" can be achieved.

In other words, if a person is completely overwhelmed and constantly preoccupied with struggling for simple survival, then there is no time, or energy (physical or emotional) for anything else.

This whole concept is also hinted at in Whitley's "Master of The Key"'s assertion that Sin is the denial of the right to thrive.

In warfare, "the enemy" is broken and defeated by being attacked repeatedly and constantly, on all fronts, psychologically, physically, emotionally, financially, etc., to the point that "the enemy" never has a chance to mount any effective defense strategy. It involves using the superior resources of "an elite" to overwhelm the vulnerabilities of a weaker group.

"Enhanced interrogation", which is, of course, a euphemism for TORTURE, is an outgrowth of the studies of the Military Maniacs, and is designed to break human beings on all levels.

This is reality, on an individual level, for anyone who has been "targeted" for experimentation in such studies, past and present.

Unrelenting stress exponentially impairs, or even destroys, an individual's ability to COPE in any meaningful way.

But even worse, unrelenting stress can KILL YOU.

Long-term unrelenting stress (distress) is linked to six of the leading causes of death: heart disease, cancer, lung ailments, accidents, cirrhosis of the liver, and even suicide.

To paraphrase the suicide note of a British comic who was popular in the 50s and 60s:

"Things just went too wrong, too many times."

Short of suicide, unrelenting stress can kill you............

Seven Ways in Which Too Much Unrelenting Stress Can Kill You

http://www.mydailymoment.com/diet_and_fitness/mindabody/seven_ways_in_which_too_ much_unrelenting_stress_can_kill_you.php

Long-term stress causes all of these:

Diabetes
High Blood Pressure
Weight Gain
Immune Deficiency
Depression
Cardiovascular Diseases
Cancer

Here is a good article about what happens when a person experienced unrelenting stress from being constantly bombarded by situations over which they have little to NO CONTROL:

http://www.geftakysassembly.com/Articles/Perspectives/Stress.htm

How the General Adaptation Syndrome "Burns Up" Your Brain

In 1956, the endocrinologist Hans Selye became one of the pre-eminent pioneers of stress research, when he wrote the first major book on the damage that stress does to the body. In that book, The Stress of Life, Selye described how stress gradually assaults the body, through a mechanism that he called the "general adaptation syndrome," which is the broad set of changes your body goes through when it is chronically subjected to the stress response.

There are three stages to this set of changes. The first is the "alarm reaction," when you secrete adrenaline and cortisol, causing your entire body and mind to spring into action against the stressor. The second stage is the "stage of resistance," in which your mind and body try to pinpoint the threat, and activate only the most appropriate resistance mechanisms. During this phase, the secretion of adrenaline and cortisol decreases, while the "battle" against the stressor is fought only by the most appropriate organs or systems. Then, however, comes the most insidious phase: the "phase of exhaustion."

During the phase of exhaustion, the specific, appropriate organs or systems that are "fighting" the stressor wear out, and become depleted. Your mind and body then "draft" other organs and systems to "join the battle." When this happens, there is again a surge in the secretion of adrenaline and cortisol.

During the exhaustion phase, most of the organs and systems in your body are affected, and some are badly harmed. Often there is substantial enlargement of the cortex of your adrenal glands. There is also often a shrinkage of your thymus, spleen, and lymph nodes. There is generally a decrease in the number of your immune system's white blood cells. Excess stomach acid is secreted. As a rule your blood pressure increases. Your sex hormones almost always decline.

Of course, when these changes occur, illness often follows. It's common for people who suffer from the general adaptation syndrome to have chronic high blood pressure. It's also common for them to develop minor illnesses. Sometimes, high levels of chronic stress can even contribute to catastrophic illnesses, including heart disease and cancer.

Mortality and illness among the chronically stressed rises sharply. For example, an older person who has lost a spouse is ten times more likely to die within one year of this loss than an older person whose spouse is still alive. Similarly, when a person gets divorced, his or her probability of significant illness over the next year increases by 1,200 percent.

Even recovery from injury is hampered by chronic stress. In one recent study, skin wounds among highly stressed subjects took an average of forty-nine days to heal completely, while skin wounds among non-stressed subjects took only thirty-nine days to heal. Research even indicates that stress can significantly increase levels of "bad" LDL cholesterol.

It's not only the body that suffers from stress, though. The brain does, too. When the exhaustion phase of chronic stress hits, learning ability and concentration nosedive, partly because of the effects of cortisol. In one revealing study, students with high levels of chronic stress scored 13 percent lower on IQ tests than students with low stress.

High blood pressure caused by chronic stress also reduces cognitive function. As I've already shown, "What's good for the heart is good for the head." And few things are worse for the heart (and the head) than high blood pressure.

In addition, the exhaustion phase of the general adaptation syndrome causes a deficit of the important neurotransmitter norepinephrine--particularly in the frontal love of your neocortex, where much of your abstract thinking takes place.

Chronic stress causes norepinephrine to be shunted away from your limbic system. As you'll recall, your limbic system controls your emotions. Because of this lack of norepinephrine in the emotional center of your brain, chronic stress can cause you to experience biological depression, anxiety, and malaise. If your chronic sress lasts long enough, it can even biochemically create anhedonia--the inability to feel any emotional pleasure.

Another unwanted mental effect of chronic stress is its influence on brain waves. A person experiencing stress has a predominance of "uptight" beta waves, rather than "calm" alpha and theta waves. Beta waves are also less conducive to learning and concentration than alpha or theta waves.

Finally--and most harmful of all--chronic stress creates oversecretion of coritsol. And cortisol, as mentioned previously, wages a "three-stroke attack" on your brain: It starves the brain of its only energy source, glucose; it interferes with neurotransmitter function; and it leads to the eventual death of brain cells.

Another tragic consequence of unrelenting stress is its assault on the mechanism that naturally shuts off your cortisol production. This cortisol shut-off usually occurs when the threats against you have passed. When your limbic system's hippocampus is healthy, it has the ability to give your endocrine system "feedback," and tell it when to quit producing cortisol.

But when your hippocampus becomes damaged by chronic stress, this feedback turns into the destructive "feedforward mechanism." The feedforward mechanism keeps demanding that you secrete more and more cortisol, even when you no longer need it. This unfortunate phenomenon is especially common in older people, whose hippocampi have been compromised by many years of stress. When the feedforward mechanism occurs, a degenerative cycle is created.

As you can see, chronic stress is a killer. It kills the body, the intellect, and the emotions.

---------

This is where I am. In addition to all the things I have described about my life on this board over the past just over SEVEN YEARS(!!!!), and all the things I have NOT posted about, I am now faced with going blind.

This first began in December 2010, with sudden loss of vision in my right eye. It happened two days prior to a scheduled trip to see family.

It was later diagnosed by my Therapeutic Optometrist as Central Serous Retinopathy. He referred to to an Ophthalmologist, who diagnosed it as Branch Retinal Vein Occlusion.

There SO MANY other possibilities/probabilites as to cause.

Disorders associated with retinal vasculitis:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2855661/table/T0001/

Infectious disorders

Bacterial disorders

Tuberculosis, syphilis, lyme disease, Whipple's disease, brucellosis, cat scratch disease, endophthalmitis, post-streptococcal syndrome

Viral disorders:

Human T cell lymphoma virus type 1
cytomegalovirus, herpes simplex virus, varicella zoster virus, Epstein-Barr virus, Rift Valley fever virus, hepatitis, acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, West Nile virus infection, Dengue fever virus

Parasitic disorders: Toxoplasmosis

Rickettsial disorders

Mediterranean spotted fever, Rocky Mountain spotted fever

Neurologic disorders

Multiple sclerosis

Microangiopathy of the brain, retina, and cochlea (Susac syndrome)

Malignancy

Paraneoplastic syndromes

Ocular lymphoma

Acute leukemia

Systemic inflammatory diseases:

Behçet's disease
Sarcoidosis
Systemic lupus erythematosus
Wegener's granulomatosis
Polyarteritis nodosa
Churg-Strauss syndrome
Relapsing polychondritis
Sjögren's A antigen
Rheumatoid arthritis
HLA-B27-associated uveitis
Crohn's disease
Postvaccination
Dermatomyositis
Takayasu's disease
Buerger's disease
Polymyositis

Ocular disorders:

Frosted branch angiitis
Idiopathic retinal vasculitis, aneurysms, and neuroretinitis
Acute multifocal hemorrhagic retinal vasculitis
Idiopathic recurrent branch retinal arterial occlusion
Pars planitis
Birdshot chorioretinopathy

---------

Can you imagine how much success someone with GOOD health insurance would have in diagnosis?

Then, imagine how someone with NO health insurance, no financial resources, and/or only Medicare, could ever find a definitive diagnosis, much less treatment?

So, in addition to a multitude of other issues that seem to have no solutions, I am recently faced with the fact that I am now ALSO LOSING VISION IN MY LEFT EYE.

I don't know what is more pathetic and tragic....the position I find myself in, or the fact that the only possible resource I have to reach out to for comfort/prayers/advice/support, is this board of anonymous posters, who may or may not really care.

Ldyhawk369
Username: ldyhawk369

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 6:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sending prayers for healing of eyes, that you see clearly.

Second Wind

Post Number: 7057
Posted on Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 6:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Do I still write in my "gratitude journal"?

Absolutely.

As I have said many times before, counting my blessings is OFTEN the only thing that keeps me going.

Do I realize there are untold numbers of people worse off than me?

Absolutely....and I grieve for them on a daily basis; so much so, that my "family" tells me that there is something wrong with me because I feel so deeply for their suffering.

I know that, compared to so many, I am blessed. I know that I have been "protected" so many times, despite the fact that I have been "targeted" all my life.

Right now, I am terrified and near despair.

If I was blind
Would you be my eyes?
Or hide everything you see
Pretending to care about me
When all the time
You're just wishing I'd fade away
You can't bring yourself
To care about me

-Todd Rundgren

Second Wind

Post Number: 7058
Posted on Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 7:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thank you, ldyhawk, for your prayers............

-----------

Interesting........

Your Cancer horoscope for today:

Saturday, November 30, 2013

'Is that your final answer?' Game show contestants often squirm at being asked that question. We sympathize with the fact that they might suddenly doubt a choice they made that appeared and felt right. You appear to be needing to make more than one important decision now. Whilst what you decide is undoubtedly far-reaching and involves at least one other person, you can trust that you will make very much the right choices. Listen to your heart and you really won't go wrong.

----------

I hope and pray that it will be as simple as that!

Sharon2

Post Number: 5268
Posted on Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 9:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Second Wind, I care! You are A SENSITIVE! Your family is not.

Bluntly, they are insensitive, especially to you.

You said your eye problems started two days before you were to visit your family. I see a pattern.

It's hard to see who you really are when the mirrors around you are distorted!

You are a nice person, a worthy person and a caring person. Find the help you need. Call an outreach program and see if they can direct you.

Stephen in AZ
Username: stephenm

Post Number: 3076
Posted on Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 1:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Second Wind,

Regarding your eye problems, you might want to check out PreserVision by Bausch & Lomb, which is based on the AREDS clinical study (Age-Related Eye Disease Study). It's a special combination of vitamins and minerals, with a lot of vitamin A (beta-carotene), vitamin C, vitamin E, zinc, and to a lesser extent copper. If for some reason you can't have a lot of vitamin A, they have an AREDS II version substituting other things for it.

My experiences are based on the original, AREDS, version.

One night a few months ago, I started having a lot of floaters in my right eye. When I looked in the mirror, I saw that the colored part of my eye, the iris, had spilt in a place under the pupil and off to the side a little, the split leading to the pupil and the pupil actually spreading apart slightly at that point. When I looked again a little later, it had closed back up, but you could still see a mark where the split had been. My eyes had also been aching off and on for a few days before that.

A few days after that, I starting looking in stores to see what they might have in the vitamin section that might help. I remembered seeing things for eyes in the past. I eventually, maybe a week or two later, bought the PreserVision AREDS vitamins, and started taking them. The next morning my eyes felt much better, and the floaters were noticeably reduced in intensity. As the days passed, the floaters continued to fade. Before I started taking the PreserVision, they had been getting worse.

I did eventually go to an eye doctor. After looking at my eyes, he said it looked like the gel was trying to separate from the back of my right eye. He said I didn't have macular degeneration, but it might be a sign that I might get it in the future. He said the problem with the gel was harmless, but I would probably see more floaters. He said my left eye had some yellowish spots on the back, he didn't know what they were, but said it might be possible that I might get macular degeneration in it later, he didn't know. He said the PreserVision was for macular degeneration, which I didn't have, and he discounted the effects of it, at least regarding me. He said it wouldn't hurt any to take it, but he didn't think it would make any difference. He also appeared not to believe me about the iris splitting and closing back up.

The PreserVision apparently is intended more for macular degeneration (the package says "Medical experts recommend an AREDS vitamin for ALL people diagnosed with moderate-to-advanced AMD"), which I don't have at this time, but I have continued to take it, and the floaters have continued to fade, even though the doctor had predicted that they would increase.

In any case, I hope that your eyes will get better, and that you will find all the help you need in this and other areas of your life, and that everything will go in your favor. I will pray for you, too.

Second Wind

Post Number: 7059
Posted on Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 4:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sharon2, thank you so much for the support and concern, and for the sweet things you said.

Can you tell me more specifically what you mean by "an outreach program"? What am I looking for, either in the phone book or in an online search?

I had started on Friday to look for resources in my phone book, but being the day after Thanksgiving, everyone was closed. I will start again on Monday.

I'm going to see if I can get an appointment with a different Ophthalmologist for a second opinion (actually, it will be a third opinion, if I count the diagnosis by my optometrist).

The metaphysical implications (of the sudden vision loss just prior to a trip to visit family) are not lost on me.

However, I am more inclined to look at it from the standpoint of the common causes of the two different diagnoses that were offered.

With Central Serous Retinopathy, the most commonly assumed cause is high levels of stress, and/or high levels of cortisol, which is caused by stress.

With Branch Retinal Vein Occlusion, the most common cause is believed to be high blood pressure, which can be caused or worsened by stress.

In addition, BRVO is associated 4 of my previous medical diagnoses.

So, given the association with my chronic illness, added to the amount of stress I experienced prior to the trip (both the stress related directly to the trip, and the constant stress NOT related to the trip), I understand how this vision loss in my right eye happened when it did,

As for the progression into my left eye at this time, I am not really surprised, because my primary illness has worsened significantly in the past year, which has only increased my stress levels caused by daily life issues.

On the other hand, prior to the vision loss in the right eye in 2010, and learning about the probable causes, this is NOT something I would have ever expected to happen. In the realm of what I saw as likely health-related events, vision loss was never on my radar. Now, of course, I realize that is was likely all along.

Getting back to the metaphysical perspective, I have to admit something that also has not escaped my notice relative to this vision issue.

My mother used to use lots of "expressions" that I stole from her. One of them was something we would say when we were looking for something, and couldn't find it, even though it was right where we had looked. (This was especially common for she and I to say when hunting for things in a store.) When someone would point us to what we were looking for, we would say, "Well, I'm blind in one eye, and can't see out of the other."

My mother ended up with cataracts! BUT, her surgery for them was successful, so she lost very little of her vision.

Second Wind

Post Number: 7060
Posted on Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 4:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Stephen in AZ, thank you so much for sharing your story with me! VERY interesting! The thing with your iris sounds similar to iritis.

Thanks for the info on PreserVision!

I have been taking this product for over a year:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ocuvite-antioxidant-vitamin-and-mineral-supplem ent-with-lutein-tablets/ID=prod5081-product

Unfortunately, it has not helped with my issue.....although it's not intended to help with retinal vasculitis. I still take them anyway.

Thank you so much for your response, Stephen, and especially for your well-wishes, and your prayers.

Second Wind

Post Number: 7061
Posted on Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 4:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I went to the grocery story last night.....and I could REALLY tell how much worse my vision has gotten, now that the left eye is affected.

I was a grouchy and frustrated shopper, needless to say.

(Message edited by second_wind on December 01, 2013)

Sharon2

Post Number: 5271
Posted on Sunday, December 01, 2013 - 8:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi Second Wind, I'm not sure of your location but found this to start.....

http://www.yellowpages.com/austin-tx/outreach-health-services

Share your story and you should get some leads.

Second Wind

Post Number: 7067
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 8:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I spent several hours doing research about the vision issues related to my "other" medical diagnoses.

I did find some leads to people to contact locally for advice/resources/information, etc.

Then, I decided to come to the board to do a search for something specific. What I was searching for is no longer that important.

Two things that became clear to me during the process, however, are:

1. How much I miss the intense and interesting conversations that have taken place in the past here on the board. Despite many conflicts, and instances of being attacked here, I often re-discover that there have been so many substantial conversations, so many deep and meaningful posts. I am grateful for that.

2. The interesting fact (which I had not truly noticed until now) that this board is one of the EASIEST for me to SEE. In other words, I don't have to do any zooming or using magnifier, in order to read this board. I just now compared it with several other web pages I had open on other tabs, and confirmed that there is a distinct difference in my ability to easily read the board as is. I'm grateful for that.

Now, if I can just get turned back around to a period of being on "days" with my crazy sleep/wake cycles.......perhaps I can make some of the calls that I need to make, to address pressing issues.

-----

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Second Wind

Post Number: 7068
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

To the board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZPtrWvlFRU

See me, feel me, touch me, heal me

Listening to you, I get the music
Gazing at you, I get the heat
Following you, I climb the mountain
I get excitement at your feet

Right behind you, I see the millions
On you, I see the glory
From you, I get opinions
From you, I get the story

Sharon2

Post Number: 5276
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

You sound like you are feeling better. That's good.

I'm not sure if you know this, but you can increase the font size on you computer.
On my computer, it is the upper right corner. There is a house, a star and a gear. Click on the gear. Then go to 'zoom' and put in the percent that you like. 125% is nice but you can go bigger if you want.

Second Wind

Post Number: 7070
Posted on Monday, December 09, 2013 - 3:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Been offline for a while, trying to put out multiple fires, which have interrupted my time and energy to seek out resources to deal with the vision loss.

Sharon, I use two "aids" when on the computer. First, I use Chrome for my browser, and I use the zoon feature often.

I also use "magnifier" that came with my operating system. Magnifier is not particularly easy to use, but I guess it will get easier with practice.

Using Zoom in Chrome works pretty well, but it's not perfect either. But I am grateful to have both of these aids.

I also often copy and past things I want to read into Notepad, using a large bold font, and read them that way.

Thank you for thinking about me.

Second Wind

Post Number: 7073
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 5:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Funny how songs that had so much meaning for me over the years, can take on a whole new meaning due to current circumstances......

Given all the issues with my house lately, on top of "everything else", and my attempts to find contractors to make "repairs", in addition to my own attempts to make whatever "few small repairs" I can make on my own............well.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVZIpUIlbAQ

Sunny came home to her favorite room
Sunny sat down in the kitchen
She opened a book and a box of tools
Sunny came home with a mission

She says "Days go by, I'm hypnotized
I'm walking on a wire
I close my eyes and fly out of my mind
Into the fire"

Sunny came home with a list of names
She didn't believe in transcendence
"It's time for a few small repairs", she said
Sunny came home with a vengeance

She says "Days go by, I don't know why
I'm walking on a wire
Into the fire"

Get "the kids" and bring a sweater
Dry is good and wind is better
Count the years, you always knew it
Strike a match, go on and do it

Oh, days go by, I'm hypnotized
I'm walking on a wire
Into the fire

Oh, light the sky and hold on tight
The world is burning down
She's out there on her own, and she's all right
Sunny came home

Sharon2

Post Number: 5294
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 6:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi Second Wind,
Is there a local church in your area that might be able to help?
Most churches love to help, if they can. It doesn't matter if you are a member or not.

I am trying to think what I would do if I were in your situation and it DOES sound VERY overwhelming!

Mama Shine
Username: mama_shine

Post Number: 18021
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2013 - 1:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Second Wind,

I read every word of your post
and I'm at a loss for anything to
say that wouldn't sound trivial.

Love and blessings to you and your kitties.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return.
~Nature Boy

Second Wind

Post Number: 7076
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2013 - 2:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thanks to both Sharon2 and Mama Shine.

Believe me, I am aware that there's not much that any of you can say. That's why I took down my long post. I really should not have posted it, and I regretted it when I woke up today.

I'll get it all figured out somehow. I think I have someone I can trust to take down the problem tree, and I will try to schedule a plumber to come out next week to take care of the plumbing problems in my main bathroom.

I also found another source of information and possible help through http://www.211us.org/.

They should be able to help me directly with a couple of issues, and then they should be able to refer me to the resources I need to try to untangle this knot, and make some kind of plan for my life.

Now, if I can just manage to get "rolled over" on my sleep/wake schedule, so that I can be "on days" for several days in a row. That is yet another stumbling block for me, in dealing with ANYTHING.

I've not given up! I am not prepared to believe that I have no options. There's got to be some solutions.

Thanks again to both of you for posting.

bean
Username: tina

Post Number: 2634
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2013 - 7:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

SW,

I'm surprised your city power provider doesn't step in...have you called them? They might have some kind of help program available especially when it involves power lines. ?

You mentioned people not being able to afford housing. Have you considered getting a roomate?
The right person could really help turn things around money wise...and be helpful for housekeeping, grocery shopping etc.
A house mate that could be available as a care giver, considering your health issues, could be a huge plus....which you may need in the future anyway. Develope the relationship now, before the "need" is critical...

Well, these are my thoughts so far. Your thought to sell and get into something smaller and easier to manage is not a bad thought. The plumbing would need to be fixed properly in order to sell, but it is a consideration.

Don't give up!

bean

Second Wind

Post Number: 7077
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2013 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi bean!

Yes, I did contact my power provider. Their rep/technician/lineman/whatever came out several days ago. He came at the same time as one of the tree removal contractors I had called for an estimate. It was getting dark, and I was creeped out by the tree guy. The two of them stood on either side of me in my back yard, in the near-dark, and they argued WITH EACH OTHER over the best way to deal with the tree.

The only "help" that the electric provider rep offered was that they can come out and disconnect my electric wires on the day I have the tree removed, and then supposedly reconnect it after the tree is down.

This scares me, because I am afraid that they might not make it back to get the power reconnected.....and one of my greatest fears is to be without power during cold weather (even though I am "somewhat" prepped for that.

Plus the fact, my telephone land line services, and my cable (TV and Internet) service is installed just underneath the electric lines. So, the logistics of trying to coordinate the disconnection of all those services on the same day as tree removal is more than problematic.

Here is a pic on my flikr page, for perspective.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35598970@N07/3297100892/

If you click on the pic itself, it will enlarge. If you look in the upper right top, you will see the lines for power, phone and cable. The power line is the top one, that connects to the tall metal pole on my house, left center top. Just under the power line you see the cable and telephone lines. The problem tree is the large one in the upper left corner. The photo was take right after I had gotten the tree trimmed, and the canopy raised off the lines and roof. It is now overgrown and top-heavy.

I took pictures of the tree during the ice storm. I need to get them uploaded onto my computer and to flickr, but that is a task that is just low down on my list of things to spend time and effort on right now........

The electrical lineman offered no other help, and just kind of snickered when I told him that the reason I called him was that the provider website said that they (the electric distribution provider) would help with tree trimming and removal of trees that threaten the power line. He just kind of smirked, with a look that said, "yeah, the website says a lot of crap."

The idea of a roommate is just NOT feasible for me, for many reasons.

Yes, selling seems to be what I NEED to do, because I don't know if my remaining vision will hold out until I could look into a reverse mortgage (after July 2015).

I own my home outright, but as I pointed out before, given our crazy housing shortage (in a town with not that much to offer in terms of condo or townhouse-type homes), and the fact that I could not afford/would not quality for a mortgage on a smaller property to move to, even if one were available....I just don't know yet what the answer there might be.

Even storage facilities are full with long waiting lists for units to become available, due to people that have come in from all over the country over the last several years, for the oilfield jobs.

That is one of the areas that I need to find someone who knows the current housing market, and can help advise me.

I also need to try to get in to see another retinal ophthalmologist for a second opinion, and an exam of my left eye that is now being affected....but I will probably have to travel to some other Texas city for that, which is a HUGE problem, both logistically and financially.

I better stop now..............

Thanks for listening.

bean

Post Number: 2635
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2013 - 7:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Get back to the distribution provider...the lineman does not know everything. If the electrical lines are an issue due to the tree, the electric company will have some responsibility if anything untowards happens. Put it in writing and send it so they have to sign for the letter...call too..let them know of your deep concerns and inability to fund the project....Put that in the letter also.

If you were able to sell the house...is there
a LLC care facility that you think you could get into? With your medical issues, you may qualify for help in that area. If you have to move to another town, would you be open to that?

I understand that you are reluctant to have someone in your home.......paticularly because of all the bs with you know what. But, you ARE going to need help at some point...I think it a good idea to consider all options....again!

Hang in there my dear
bean

bean

Post Number: 2637
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2013 - 8:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The link you posted above said page not found...??...so I didn't get a look at the situation.

Ldyhawk369
Username: ldyhawk369

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2013 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sending prayers Second Wind!

Second Wind

Post Number: 7078
Posted on Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 8:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sorry I posted that flickr link incorrectly.

Here is the link to my flickr page.

My Tree/Power Lines

Like I said in my post above, that pic was taken in 2010, right after I had gotten the tree trimmed, and the canopy raised off the lines and roof. It is now overgrown and top-heavy.

Also, bean, here is a link on the subject from my distribution provider:

http://www.askoncor.com/EN/Pages/FAQs/Vegetation-Mgmt-8.aspx

To quote them:

"The service line runs from Oncor’s pole across your property to your home. While only Oncor is allowed to prune from distribution and transmission power lines, keeping tree limbs away from the service drop line is the responsibility of the homeowner. You should call a qualified tree trimmer or arborist to prune and remove the tree limbs from your service line.

So, that's the situation I am faced with.

-----------

Last night, when I was doing laundry, I got sidetracked again, and my washer overflowed all over my garage, and I slipped on the wet concrete and went crashing to the floor.

It could have been much worse, because as I went down, I grabbed onto the washer and broke my fall somewhat. That caused me to fall onto my left hip and elbow and shoulder, whereas, if I had NOT grabbed onto the washer, I would have hit on my tailbone and perhaps even hit the back of my head on the concrete.

After I spent 2 hours getting the water cleaned up with my wet/dry shop vac (a small, cheap one which I bought just for this purpose), I then went to take a hot bath in my "problem" bathtub.......and then after I drained the tub, I forgot to wait a while (I've been through this before, as well) before flushing the toilet in that room.........so my lines clogged up and the toilet overflowed all over the bathroom floor.

Today, my hip and elbow are bruised, the hip worse than the elbow. Thankfully, I have a LOT of padding on my hips! Surprisingly, they are not as sore as I thought they might be. I know the hot epsom salts bath helped with that, but I'm not sure it was worth it.

Meanwhile, my vision gets worse by the day. I had to move my chair up closer to the 32 inch TV in order to be able to see it. Even then, I cannot read the info craws on The Weather Channel or CNN, and reading the cable on-screen guide, without great difficulty.

I'm still struggling to get turned around to "days", so I can deal with some of these issues.

------------

Thank you, Bean, and Ldyhwk, for your prayers and concern.

Second Wind

Post Number: 7079
Posted on Sunday, December 15, 2013 - 9:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

OMGoodness!

"Hi, Cancer!

Here is your Daily Horoscope for Sunday, December 15

It's easy to miss out on the big picture when you're swamped with details, and that seems to be happening late today. Try to keep focused on what's most important so you don't have to backtrack."

Mercy!

bean

Post Number: 2639
Posted on Monday, December 16, 2013 - 6:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I love your back yard....What a lot of work to keep it up!

Well, I guess you are just going to have to pay someone to come out and remove those branches. ( someone you feel good about) From what I could gleen from the info, it seems that they can coordinate the off and then back on part of the issue if given a few days notice..

Where I live, we don't have any power lines overhead....they are all underground. I'm glad about that...but you do have to know where NOT to dig!

Geeze SW....Would you PLEASE be careful?
If you had hit your head instead of your hip you could still be on the concrete in your garage. Do you have a medical alert neclace or bracelet? Another expense, I know...but very effective in emergencies...Do you have a neighbor who would know to come and check on you if they hadn't seen you for a day? Even just have a neighbor whome you call once a day just to "check in"... If they don't hear from you they could call or come over. I don't know...there is much that seems vulnerable in your situation.. Please be careful.

Prayers for you.
bean

Second Wind

Post Number: 7081
Posted on Monday, December 16, 2013 - 8:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Bean, thank you for the compliment on my yard.

I went and looked back at the dates on my actual picture CDs, and the photo I posted was actually from 2008!!!

I cannot believe it has been that long since I had the "problem tree" trimmed and the canopy raised!!!! (This tree, by the way, is a "volunteer" from who knows where, and is considered a "trash tree", a VERY invasive species.)

That was only two years after I moved here, and not only was I personally doing better physically, but we had been having record rainfall then.

I was living for the moment then, and planting stuff a little at a time, because I could do a little with no deadlines, and then rest for DAYS afterwards. Little did I know the monster I was creating in terms of maintenance, especially given the record drought over the past 2 plus years, and the deterioration of my health.

Anyway, as I mentioned above, I do think I have found someone to take down the tree, and I will figure out how to deal with the issue of the power, cable and telephone lines, somehow.

Again, the problem I have now is deciding which issue is most important.

Part of me thinks I should put the tree, the plumbing, and anything else on the back burner while I deal with the vision loss issue, and plan for a future where not only can I not see, but I can no longer take care of this house.

And yet, the constant threats from things like ice storms bringing down branches over my power lines, and constant plumbing problems, well.......I think you get the picture.

And then, again, as I said, my sleep disorder makes it damn near impossible to deal with these issues, because I can't manage to be awake during "normal" daytime hours, except for the brief and unpredictable times when I "roll around the clock" and am on "days" for a few days.

It's on those days that I try to cram in ALL THE THINGS THAT MUST BE DONE DURING DAYTIME HOURS. This results in yet another kind of "overload".

Yes, I have been giving some thought to the whole "medic alert" thing. But it's just one of many things I must think about, relative to future plans and available funds. In other words, "it's on the to-do list".

As for my neighbors, the basic answer to your question is NO. The only neighbors who are friendly, are two widows (next door and across the street) who are in their mid-to-late 80s. and WAY more frail than me. Then, the young neighbors next door, after initially being friendly for about a year, quickly became less and less friendly as the began to realize that I might need occasional help. They made it clear (although in a passive agressive way) that they don't want the obligation of worrying about me, or any other neighbors. Neighbors are just not what "they used to be", I guess. I have tried to be a good neighbor, to the extent that I am physically able. But they all have regualr contact with family (either onsite or regular visits), whereas, I do not.

I think you probably know the situations with my own "family". .........

As for my fall........at this point now, I realize I am a LOT more sore than I was initially. Strangely, the MOST sore place is my left breast, which kinda got smashed by my arm as/when I tried to break my fall by grabbing onto the washer with my left arm as I went down backwards. But again, that is what prevented me from crashing down to the floor even harder.

I think that remedying that problem needs to climb up my priority list. There is an old non-funtioning water softener attached to my plumbing right next to the washer, and I am convinced that it is affecting the function of my washer, as well as water pressure issues in my house, as well as SEVERE salt accumulation on my faucets that leak. The salt is so bad on the bathtub faucet leak that it has literally eaten up the spout and overflow cap. They are crumbling away......

I have learned to do a LOT of my own repairs and home maintenance projects. I have installed faucets and fixed MANY leaks and plumbing clogs over the years.

I have more tools than the average woman, and I even bought plumbing tools and a plumbing snake several years ago, after learning how screwed up my plumbing is. (Boy, would I like to get my hands on the "home inspector" I hired before I bought this house!!!
)

I maintain my own lawn mowers every year, including cleaning, draining oil and replacing each year, ets. I have done all of my own computer maintenance and troubleshooting for the past 13 years. I am way more willing and INTERESTED in doing these things, both due to necessity, and INTEREST. But my limitations have always been physical and financial. There is little I cannot learn to do (and enjoy doing it) in these areas, given the money, the right tools, and the physical ability. I am definitely not ALL GIRLY GIRL about these things, and am definitely NOT LAZY.

I spend COUNTLESS hours on the internet and youtube, researching how to do stuff, from computer-related issues, to home repairs. I have learned so much....and I have to say, I enjoy learning, and the feeling of accomplishment when I solve a problem without having to pay someone else to do it.

But when I am confronted with SO MANY SIMULTANEOUS issues, in addition to being confronted with the limitations of my physical ability and my financial limitations, then it becomes a huge frustration.

And here it is, another morning, 7:32 a.m., and I am reaching the end of "my day", where I am like "normal" people are at 10 or 11 p.m. after a long day at work.......I'm ready to hit the sack (only in my case, it's the recliner, since I can no longer sleep in either one of my beds without severe pain).

Oh, good Lord, I need to shut up.

Blah, Blah, blah blah blah!

(please overlook typos or spelling errors......I make more of them now, and I don't have the energy to to back and correct them...)

blue
Username: jennyblue

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Monday, December 16, 2013 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

my heart is aching for you, Second Wind. My prayers for you are prayers of healing -- healing that will bring you the peace you need to deal w/all the difficulties you are having at this time. As for eye issues -- I helped my eyes enormously when treating a UTI a few years back. Unfortunately, I undid all the good I did for my eyes when treating a toothache about 6 months later (long story). Bilberry and Vit A strengthen the eyes. Eyebright tea (or capsules?) (I need to get in the habit of drinking it myself) seems to help my eye-brain connection/coordination. I make tea from the bulk tea (and not teabags -- tea leaves go to compost). A supplement I have hesitated to mention is Rutin -- the reason being that dosage probably varies from person to person and too much can be worse than none at all. Rosehips contain Rutin and might be the safest way of supplementing if you have access to powdered rosehips. I have had increased ocular pressure and nosebleeds when taking too much Rutin (1000-1500 mg daily). So if you try it, use caution. You are in my prayers daily.
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Hopi Elders 2001.

to be a rock and still to roll . . .
change we can believe in is here -- The Ed Show
Love is the Way ~ Jesus of Nazareth

Second Wind

Post Number: 7084
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 4:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Dear Blue,

Thank you VERY MUCH for the suggestions. I am still planning to go to the Natural Foods store, as soon as I can, and talk to the owner about Bilberry and eyebright.

I did research on both, because of your suggestions, and was very VERY interested to learn about the possible use of bilberry for retinal vasculitis, and also for chronic diarrhea, which is one of my most constant problems.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate these suggestions you have made!

I am praying daily for both the guidance, and the DISCIPLINE to make even more changes to my diet. I cannot exercise like "normal" people, so losing weight it extremely difficult. And making the changes to a diet that is good for the things that ail me, is proving to be very difficult. But I am making changes, a little at a time.

Getting my weight and blood pressure under control are probably two of the most important things I can do, to prevent further blindness, and PERHAPS even restore some of my lost vision.

I am also going to ask at the health food store if they know of a local nutritionist who I can check into, to help me design a regular way of eating that I can handle, given all my specific issues AND finances.

Supplements I take: Vit. C, CoQ10, B-Complex/B-12 sublingual drops, Calcium Citrate, Posassium, Flaxseed oil and a probiotic.

I cannot take magnesium supplements, because they worsen the diarrhea. So, I do both epsom salts baths, as well as epsom salts foot soaks.

Of course, one of the best things possible for improvement of all my health issues, would be stress reduction. I do the best I can in that regard.

I use deep breathing exercises and progressive relaxation. I use music. I use laughter (watching "The Big Bang Theory" is one of my favorite stress relievers!) I pet and brush and love on my sweet cats. I pray. I do a lot of things to try to calm myself, and to try to compensate for the stress.

Anyway.............blah, blah blah again!

Second Wind

Post Number: 7085
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

At about 10 p.m. last night, I went out into my back yard to look at the full moon.

I was confused when I looked at it, because there was a portion of it not full. So, doubting my own memory, I went in the house and turned on my cell phone to double-check the day/date.

Then, I went to my wall calendar to double-check the date of the full moon. As I struggled to read the tiny print on the calendar, it hit me.......

The moon is, indeed full.....but my vision has deteriorated so much in less than a month, that the full moon looks to me, the way it looks to normal people about 4 or 5 days before the full moon.

This hit me right in the heart. Being a Moonchild and a sky-watcher all my life, it broke my heart. Between that sad realization, and the usual influence of the full moon on my emotions, well, I cried like a baby for nearly 10 minutes.

I am so glad I got to see some incredible full moons in my life. I am especially grateful for the incredibly beautiful ones I saw this past summer, particularly in June and July.

I'm grateful beyond measure for all the amazing beauty I have seen during my life, from Mother Nature, to artwork and movies, to great books, and all things visually beautiful.

.......and I can't believe I found this guy just now............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPwJPxWRKS8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD98GcosBtg

I needed to find that guy......and I only stumbled across him when looking for "moon" songs...........

His videos are hilarious, as well as beautiful, and I needed the uplift!

Thank you, u-tube!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: