Introvert or Extrovert? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Psychology, Sociology & the Mind » Introvert or Extrovert? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sharon2
Username: sharon2468

Post Number: 5235
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 1:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm pretty sure I am an introvert. At least in social situations, I don't say things just to be making sounds with my mouth. That would be 'death' to a party, though. Parties depend on small talk and noise.

I've always wondered why most people are so uncomfortable with silence? I love silence.
I also suck at small talk.
Our life is determined by the choices we make!

Stephen in AZ
Username: stephenm

Post Number: 3068
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I would have to be classified as an introvert, too.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5236
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I read something that said years ago the silent types were held in high regard. Today, it is the opposite. It's the person with the 'gift of gab' that is admired.

Sometimes I think I must be the only one that thinks it is obnoxious (to never shut up).

Silent waters run deep....
The empty vessel makes the loudest noise....

Buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 6337
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 8:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

optimisticly introverted :-)
I dislike attention..
I dislike blushing..
I dislike being Shy

(Message edited by buddie on November 17, 2013)

Buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 6338
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 8:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Oh Ma Gawd..
How I dislike small talk..
and people do it every morning
on my Bus route..you saw them
yesterday..what is it that you
want to say that everyone has
not yet heard..ahhhgggggggggggggg

Mama Shine
Username: mama_shine

Post Number: 17951
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 8:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I can be either.

If I'm quiet, it's my choice.
I have never been shy. If I choose
to be in a social situation I enjoy
conversation.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return.
~Nature Boy

Sharon2

Post Number: 5241
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Actually, I enjoy 'one on one' conversations. It's the room full of people that makes me sooooo uncomfortable. It must be that feeling of being on-stage like I have to perform and am being judged.

Buddie, I know exactly how you feel about the small talk. One of my co-workers talks non-stop. Inside my head I am saying, "Shut up, shut up, shut up."

Mama Shine
Username: mama_shine

Post Number: 17952
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 9:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sharon,

If she/he asks you a question
then answer with impromptu interpretive
dance.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return.
~Nature Boy

Sharon2

Post Number: 5242
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 6:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi Mama, I wish! My co-worker doesn't need to be conversing. It is usually a monologue.
I discovered early on that any input on my part results in a (loud) sermon. So basically, I just nod and do my work. I try and tune her out.

We think she might be bi-polar. Don't know for sure.

blue
Username: jennyblue

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 5:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm not sure where I first read about the following way of thinking about introvert/extravert, but it is one I subscribe to (more or less) from Wikipedia:

Extraversion and introversion are typically viewed as a single continuum. Thus, to be high on one it is necessary to be low on the other. Carl Jung and the authors of the Myers–Briggs provide a different perspective and suggest that everyone has both an extraverted side and an introverted side, with one being more dominant than the other. Rather than focusing on interpersonal behavior, however, Jung defined introversion as an "attitude-type characterised by orientation in life through subjective psychic contents" (focus on one's inner psychic activity); and extraversion as "an attitude type characterised by concentration of interest on the external object", (the outside world).

I used to think I was an extravert. I love people, and I love to talk (and, unfortunately, am guilty of being a monologuer (not surprising, eh?) -- tho people often compliment me on being a good listener. How well I listen used to depend whether or not I was experiencing ADD to the extent that I could not "listen" to someone because I couldnt remember what they said at the beginning of the sentence by the time they got to the end (usually during extreme bouts of PMS which was 2 1/2 our of every 5 weeks). It also happens when I become anxious. I can be very social, but I am not so much any more because I dislike being the center of attention or being completely ignored and I rarely seem to be in situations in which I get to be somewhere in the middle. I also rarely can find people who converse about the same things I like to talk about anymore (present company excluded) . . . . and when I do chime in to other people's conversations (in my now feeble attempts to socialize), I become rather parrot-like and get myself in trouble because I tend to take whatever it is a few steps too far (even if its not what I really think(sigh). I have great sympathy for people that have characteristics similar to mine.

But according to Jung, I am an introvert because my world is formed from the inside out. I dont rely on what others think, regardless of whether they are experts, popular, or whatever. I do my own synthesis, form my own opinions, and have weathered many a storm of opposition not particularly caring whether or not I was "right" or not. In my old age I have gained confidence in myself and my stubborness because I do often turn out to be right (not that anybody remembers by the time everybody else finds out what I knew all along . . . .) My creativity comes from within and while it can sparked by something "out there" it is only because it touches something inside me that set me off on my own journey. I tried to fit in when I was little, but I began to think it was a losing battle when as a sophomore in college someone commented that I was just one of those people "who march to a different drummer." I was devastated. But I finally came round decades later to thinking she was probably right. I never relished being "different" and I rather distained my "artist friends" who seemed to go out of their way to be different. To me, they werent nearly so different as they wanted everyone to think they were, and I really couldnt understand why they wanted to be different in the first place. I just wanted to fit in.
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Hopi Elders 2001.

to be a rock and still to roll . . .
change we can believe in is here -- The Ed Show
Love is the Way ~ Jesus of Nazareth

Sharon2

Post Number: 5244
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2013 - 6:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Me too! LOL

But seriously, Blue, you summed it up very nicely.

Scientists, artists and a lot of creative people are mostly introverts. Maybe because they are comfortable by themselves (with solitary endeavors) and inside their heads, thinking, meditating and pondering.

Extroverts are more comfortable outside themselves. They are in sales, public relations and professions where they have excellent people skills. Going inward is not something they enjoy or seek, usually.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: