Large eyes: Motivation to care. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Psychology, Sociology & the Mind » Large eyes: Motivation to care. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

benign
Username: benign

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Cuteness
Lorenz proposed the concept of baby schema, a set of facial and body features, that make a creature appear "cute" and activate ("release") in others the motivation to care for it.
Hormones and cuteness variation
There are suggestions that hormone levels can affect a person's perception of cuteness. Konrad Lorenz suggests that "caretaking behaviour and affective orientation" towards infants as an innate mechanism, and this is triggered by cute characteristics such as "chubby cheeks" and large eyes.
Caregiving correlates to cuteness
Melanie Glocker (2009) provided experimental evidence that infants' cuteness [large eyes] motivates caretaking in adults, even if they are not related to the infant.

The research suggested that individuals' rating of the perceived cuteness of an infant corresponded to the level of motivation an individual had to care for this infant.

Furthermore, cute infants [large eyes] were more likely to be adopted and rated as more "likeable, friendly, healthy and competent" than infants who were less cute. There is an implication that baby schema response is crucial to human development because it lays the foundation for care giving and the relationship between child and caretaker.
- Cuteness Wikipedia article

benign

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 5:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Cute on the Brain
by Carlin Flora in Under a Friendly Spell, March 4th, 2008

Any infant left on a doorstep can safely bet that whoever finds her will be compelled to protect her. Nature cleverly designed babies to be super cute: They would be too much of a drag to care for otherwise.

As zoologist Konrad Lorenz first pointed out, we adults seem to respond favorably to the typical infant facial structure-disproportionately large heads and eyes, small noses, and chubby cheeks.

A new study out of the University of Oxford used brain imaging to reveal a glimpse of the biological basis of our collective cooing over babies: Morten Kringelbach and Alan Stein showed that a brain region associated with our emotional responses to rewarding stimuli lights up within a mere seventh of a second in response to pictures of babies, but not in response to shots of adults.

...we're all predisposed to feel warm and loving toward infants. [disproportionately large heads and eyes, small noses, and chubby cheeks]
[original article]
www.psychologytoday.com/blog/under-friendly-spell/200803/cute-the-brain

What does that make of people who demonize large eyes? o.O

benign

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

As posted @ 'The Pond'

The Book of Unwritten Tales   (trailer)

lolz :-)

RAWR!

Sharon2
Username: sharon2468

Post Number: 5161
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 9:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Cute and sweet never entered my mind when I saw the cover of 'Communion'!

Maybe the 'Grays' need chubby cheeks
Our life is determined by the choices we make!

benign

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

quote:

Sharon2: "Maybe the 'Grays' need chubby cheeks")

Like the Gnome in The Book of Unwritten Tales (Launch Trailer)

They have access to our Genesis. I can't seem to shake my religious upbringing from my interpretations.

This is all a dream. Let's change our genetic evolution. It can be done while preserving free-will. Anything is possible in a dream.

benign

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2013 - 8:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

If I'm completely bonkers, we can be bonkers together.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5174
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 9:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I just thought of something....

If I married benign, I'd be S2B9

benign
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2013 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z

B(2),9,S(19),2. Sum=32. I think that means we're compatible. :-)

Thanks for making me smile.

[EDIT: addendum]

2,9. Sum(11) 1+1=2
19,2. Sum(21) 2+1=3
2+3=5
I like five.
[1],2,3,4,[5]
[1],1,2,3,[5]
[A],B,C,D,[E]

(Message edited by Benign on October 26, 2013)

benign
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2013 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Kittens Slide Down Elephant's Trunk

Tiger’s exotic shorthair kittens were ecstatic when they stumbled upon a blue elephant on the jungle green floor. During their 8th week of life, the kittens befriended the elephant, earning them unlimited slides down the elephant’s smooth trunk along with free rides on its head and a new hiding place. Witness their excitement as they continue to explore their environment while hopping up and sliding down an elephant.
So cute ! :-)

benign
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2013 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Baby LED light suit Halloween costume (preview)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkBDRUO8hAo

Haha! :-) So cute.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5188
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2013 - 6:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Cute and Cute!

bean
Username: tina

Post Number: 2584
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2013 - 7:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Speaking of cute....reminds me of precious...which reminds me of the creature Gollom???? Was that his name? Geeze..no brain today. The one from Lord Of The Rings. ???

Kinda reminds me of a really bendable grey...hum....

benign
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2013 - 8:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

quote:

Sharon2: "Cute and Cute!"

Yeah :-) so cute.

quote:

bean: "reminds me of precious...which reminds me of the creature Gollom????"

I see. Well, good for you.

bean

Post Number: 2585
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2013 - 9:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ta Da....Me thinks I hear a drum roll...Hark!

benign
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2013 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Haha You're funny. :-)

benign
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 3:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

"In brightest day, in blackest night,

No evil shall escape my sight.

Let those who worship evil's might

Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!"
- Green Lantern Corps Version

"In forest dark or glade beferned,

No blade of grass shall go unturned.

Let those who have the daylight spurned

Tread not where this green lamp has burned!"
- Medphyll Version

"For hearts long lost and full of fright,

For those alone in Blackest Night.

Accept our ring and join our fight,

Love conquers all with violet light!"
- Star Sapphires Oath
greenlantern.wikia.com/wiki/Lantern_Oaths_(Disambiguation)

"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Rings_of_Power

I guess it's just the way of things... people see what they want to see.

bean

Post Number: 2586
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - 9:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

"people see what they want to see.."
I think "want to see," has it's part in truth. I also think each person assesses and combines experiences in a way that is unique to them.....making real communication so incredible when it actually happens!

It's like when I read a book, there might be parts of the story that I couldn't care less about.....I want to know what happened to...this or that....The Da Vinci Code was one of the best books I've ever read BECAUSE I was interested in every single sub plot offered. That's just me...........some may have been bored to tears. Oh well, just typing out loud, I guess.

"People see what they want to see."...is an example of the point I am trying to make. The other stuff you posted on post # 127.... good stuff....what interested me was.........people see what they want to see.....

benign
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 5:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm just reading the article New Form of Terrorism in the US? up on Unknown Country :: daily news and must say it is hilarious.
“the calculated use of unlawful violence or threat of unlawful violence to inculcate fear; intended to coerce or to intimidate governments or societies in the pursuit of goals that are generally political, religious, or ideological.”
This is what authority does every second of the day. You follow the party-line for fear of repurcussions.
"yet there are still ways to commit acts of terrorism without the use of force or bloodshed."
It's safer to make sure everyone is defined as a terrorist. It makes control easier.

Xerxes:   This is Xerxes. Primary Data-loop compromised, Primary Data-loop compromised.
SHODAN:   The transmission has been tampered with. No matter, we will destroy my creations right here. Stand by.
Xerxes:   Warning! Data-systems compromised. Harmful AI-eee...
SHODAN:   I have weakened Xerxes. I am accessing the Primary Data-loop. I am merging my entity with the ship. My glory is expanding, filling the arteries of this vessel. I am in control. I am...
- System Shock 2 - Weakening Xerxes

Oh! The ship's AI has been compromised.

quote:

bean: "people see what they want to see....."

I guess it's all a matter of perspective then. The only group who would have an objective 'perspective' would be the guys watching our barbaric activities off-world. It must be disappointing for the 'devils' here on Earth to sell their souls for profit only to realize that they aren't ever gonna be 'top dog.'

RAWR!

Mama Shine
Username: mama_shine

Post Number: 17884
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

'I guess it's all a matter of perspective then. The only group who would have an objective 'perspective' would be the guys watching our barbaric activities off-world. It must be disappointing for the 'devils' here on Earth to sell their souls for profit only to realize that they aren't ever gonna be 'top dog.'

In my opinion the off world watchers know that the
'devils here on earth more than likely do what they do because they enjoy it. That's probably subconsciously reward enough for them.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return.
~Nature Boy

benign
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

quote:

Mama Shine: "That's probably subconsciously reward enough for them."

Would you be so kind as to clarify that statement for me?

Mama Shine

Post Number: 17887
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

'Would you be so kind as to clarify that statement for me?'

Yes. I feel the 'devils that sell their souls for profit'(if they even have souls) do what they do for their own pleasure and gratification. They may expect a top job recognition but their basic
nature is what makes them do what they do. The watchers must know this.
~Nature Boy

benign
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 2:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

quote:

Mama Shine:   "In my opinion the off world watchers know that the 'devils' here on earth more than likely do what they do because they enjoy it. That's probably subconsciously reward enough for them."

- post 17884

This suggests you think the "watchers" (I assume you are positing the creepy, nasty ones painted by certain religious groups) get rewarded or feel rewarded by the activities of the corporate 'devils' here on Earth.

quote:

Mama Shine:   "Yes. I feel the 'devils that sell their souls for profit' (if they even have souls) do what they do for their own pleasure and gratification. They may expect a top job recognition but their basic nature is what makes them do what they do. The watchers must know this."

- post 17887

From what I can gather from your posts is that the watchers get 'rewarded' in some way from the behaviour of these 'devils.'

I find it dismaying to see creepy 'religious' interpretations of objective phenomena. Not too long ago it didn't take much to get a bunch of 'righteous,' 'puritan' "Christians" willing to burn a young woman alive... times haven't changed much. There are still sicko groups doing it.

It can be fun to yank their chain. :-) Ignorant as they are, they tend to foam at the mouth and snap at anything that moves.

However. Capitalists, even though they are following an ideology use quite a bit more of their intellect in justifying inflicting pain and misery on entire populations. They cannot really argue themselves to be 'religious psychotics' as some of the other groups could attest to being.

I do not agree with the creepy "Watchers" interpretation of the EBE phenomenon. It is a pretty funny, negative interpretation and reeks of social-programming. However, I believe many of the positive stories of angels and spiritual beings could very well be EBEs interacting with people.

At the end of the day 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder.' Kind of like looking at abstract art or Rorschach inkblots... what is seen is a person's projection of their own psyche onto the image. I find nothing 'beautiful' about capitalism and I really do hope either God or an advanced civilization punishes the people whom adhere to its barbaric principles. I can only hope, and anyway---to a capitalist anyone who doesn't agree with their little ideology shouldn't have a part in 'governing' society.

Considering there are advanced alien civs interacting with our planet, mostly keeping their presence and power in-check... I wonder what would happen if they suddenly treated us as we treat ourselves. The "strongest takes all," "dog eat dog," typical capitalist way of things. A type 2 or type 3 civilization would certainly have a right to ownership simply because we are in their territory and they get to demand whatever they want. We are type: 0.

A couple of self-righteous Christians calling the Visitors "Watchers" and insinuating they are "demonic" doesn't really amount to anything of consequence. Of course it is typical of certain religious 'groups' to try and find things to garner popular support, usually they sow seeds of fear to accomplish this. It would be typical if the EBEs turn out to have defended and helped us throughout history and a bunch of religious nuts shoot the first one that lands to say "hello."

When Jesus defended the woman about to be stoned to death for "adultery" by an angry mob... he had to be so careful... those psychopaths would have killed him and the woman if they thought they could get away with it by quoting an arbitrary line from the "Book." I wonder sometimes what he might have said differently if there wasn't that constant sword hanging over his head.

Mama Shine

Post Number: 17888
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 3:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

benign,

I feel that there my be a 'watcher group' that
control the greedy folk. I don't know what to call these watchers. The Visitors may have grown weary of us Earth ones and may be letting us have a go of it on our own. But in my heart there will
always be Angels. I'm not religious but I've known the grace of God. For this I do what I can
to help others if they ask. The self righteous groups didn't help me when I was down, they didn't want to be bothered. Odd you would wonder what Jesus would have done...I wonder as well. You know the expression people use sometimes in certain situations "what would Jesus do?" How does anybody really know?
~Nature Boy

benign
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 8:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

quote:

Mama Shine: "I feel that there my be a 'watcher group' that control the greedy folk. I don't know what to call these watchers."

That may be. I'm pretty sure you can't prove that, however. I'm pretty sure it's 100% assumption and speculation.

quote:

Mama Shine: "You know the expression people use sometimes in certain situations "what would Jesus do?" How does anybody really know?"

Yes, but I am not very familiar with the term. I heard it once. These past months however I have nearly forgotten my own mind let alone the picturesque portrayal of religious figures. I remember vaguely a personality that felt repugnance at the very thought of imposing its will on another, at lying. I like to think it is still there somewhere. I don't feel much of anything though. I guess only a shrink could testify to its existence.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5201
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

From my personal experience, I KNOW that someone who cares about my well-being has been looking out for me.

When I was in grade school. I was running ahead of my friends and turned around to urge them on. I was about to step off the curb when the word STOP was yelled right next to me. I froze in place! Then I literally felt the breeze from the car as it flew by me. I don't know who said the word but whoever it was, saved my life. Things like that have happened to me several times over my lifetime. The latest was last year.

So, I don't know if God intervenes or his angels or just someone (a deceased relative) who loves us.

benign
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 140
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 7:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

quote:

Sharon2:   "From my personal experience, I KNOW that someone who cares about my well-being has been looking out for me."

Yes, I feel the same way. :-) It's pretty amazing.

quote:

Sharon2:   "Things like that have happened to me several times over my lifetime. The latest was last year.

So, I don't know if God intervenes or his angels or just someone (a deceased relative) who loves us.
"

It could be all of the above. :-) I really feel that God is looking out for me, sometimes. I can feel His awareness. People spend years meditating to try and find God but do they really wish to connect to a being as powerful as that? Even if God withheld most of his power... would the strain not impact a mind as primitive and undeveloped as a human-being's.

You know... some days it feels more like an advanced intelligence. Something just so powerful to my primitive perspective I call it 'god.' Other days, it feels just like I would think of a 'being' as powerful as the Creator. I am not sure how I can entertain such opposite perspectives but if I don't think about it too much it doesn't create too many issues for me.

The spiritual side is there, the spiritual facet of these experiences. The positive aspect.

So not just the above--perhaps there are advanced intelligences taking care of us too, along with our loved ones and our angels.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: