Consciousness Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Psychology, Sociology & the Mind » Consciousness « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mr. Mansions
Username: ascension1

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 9:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Physics, Light & God with Fred Alan Wolf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl_RylCVOE8
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
-Joseph Joubert-

Mama Shine
Username: mama_shine

Post Number: 16975
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We are becoming one mind!

btw, if you're wondering whose
hacking the matrix

you are right now...

AS YOU CONNECT TO OTHERS
SPREADING TRUTH AND LOVE!
The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return.
~Nature Boy

QuantumJohnny
Username: quantumjohnny

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

What I am going to write here is not of the ordinary. I had to decide whether to start an entirely new thread or continue on an existing one. The title consciousness seems to be fairly close to what I will describe.

To preface where my thoughts will lead, I shall mention first, that I had never heard of G.I. Gurdjieff until I read "The Path." At that point, it was just a name. With over a decade devoted to meditation as described in The Path, meditations posted on UnknownCountry and joining in the meditation group, I, as many who have found this place, have been on a journey. Each journey is unique and personal to each person here.

Over the past year, I was pointed to "In Search of the Miraculous," written by P.D. Ouspensky, a good starting place to understand the ideas of G.I Gurdjieff. I mention this because I think that was a beginning to unlock and unravel events in my life. I read it and absorbed the ideas. Many seemed to connect to something in me while others seemed to enter me but never surfaced to consciousness.

Who was G.I. Gurdjieff? Recently, I have read information about him and it seems that he was fairly mysterious. Everyone had a different impression of him. What were his contributions to society as a whole? That is also hard to answer, but the idea of "the Work" and many of his ideas have continued to be carried out even today. He wrote a series of books, one of which was left unfinished. I could go on, but anyone can find that sort of information.

What I should begin to describe now is the unusual part, a part that began in my early life and became a personal drive to understand this particular type of experience I have experienced a number of times, most recently this past Saturday.

Words aren't a very good method of describing this experience, but it is what I know so I can only attempt a description of this state of consciousness.

In these moments which last, usually seconds to minutes, are moments of complete clarity. All at once, the "normal" world in which I am aware is perceived differently. The awareness in this state feels like I am embedded in something greater than myself, but at the same time I am part of it. Again, words don't describe it, as there aren't words that can be used in that state. Words can be brought into the state, so can ideas, but what is in that state remains there. It does not necessarily come back out.

Something else that sticks out from these experiences is that my memory of these events is unaltered, even after 25 or so years. Every time that I have entered these states, I can recall very particularly what I was doing and where I was immediately pre-ceeding and immediately proceeding the entry into this greater awareness.

There are some passages in G.I. Gurdjieff's teaching that refer to moments as remembering the self. I just recently realized this startling fact. The fact, that what I may have been doing is precisely this, remembering myself.

What does this mean? I do not know. Although, I have begun to apply some of the ideas I have been reading about and they seem to be very fruitful so far. However, personally, it is extremely challenging. It is so mentally exhausting that I have decided to stop for a bit. It changed my sleeping patterns immediately and I had a powerful near-obe state where I became lucid then I remembered myself to reach this state I have described.

The ultimate struggle is to achieve a state of mind where the illusory world in which we are accustomed to, becomes just that, an illusion. Upon remembering that fact, it becomes plainly obvious that the world is really something else. Upon that realization, seeing the world becomes seeing it for what it is, not what we have become used to. It is just like remembering a name, a face. It is remembering "myself."

Has anyone here ever heard of or personally experienced this? It isn't just a moment of sudden clarity, this, to me, has seemed like if I could understand this, if humanity could understand this, it would re-define what we experience as life as we commonly know it.

Mama Shine

Post Number: 17979
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

QJ,

Very interesting post. Thank you.

You know me and my music. I don't set out
to meditate as a rule and yet I get 'there'
impromptu. For example I was talking on facebook the other night that I really needed to practice
Chopin: Ballade no. 4 in f minor. So I got off the computer and went to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br1HnIqflt0

When I got back to the computer I told a friend that I 'zoned out' toward the end and don't know how I did. I was joking about how it was probably just as well as it is difficult part. He said 'well maybe you were in the zone and that's why you don't remember.' This happens to me often, especially with piano playing. Wonder where I go?
~Nature Boy

Sharon2
Username: sharon2468

Post Number: 5256
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 - 9:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

When you do something you love, you loose track of time. That in itself is a form of meditation.
Its a wonderful ZONE to be in!
Our life is determined by the choices we make!

Buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 6357
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2013 - 9:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yes !!
or pay a therapists :-)

(Message edited by buddie on November 28, 2013)

QuantumJohnny
Username: quantumjohnny

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I have begun reading "Reality of Being" by Jeanne de Salzmann, a pupil of Gurdjieff. One passage seemed to strike me as relevant to the posts by Mama Shine and Sharon2. It regards the hypnosis of the mind.

"My usual attention is caught in one part and remains taken by the movement, the functioning of this part. For example, I think about what I am feeling and my thought responds in place of me. It answers with a knowledge that is not true, not an immediate knowing. My thoughts are merely the expression of what is stored in my memory, not revelations of something new. The thinking is enclosed in a narrow space within myself. Always preoccupied, it holds back my attention in this space, isolated from the rest of me, from my body and feeling. With my attention continually projected from one thought to another, from one image to another in a flowing current, I am hypnotized by my mind. These thought, all my desires, affections, fears- are connected only by habits or attachments, which link each one to the next. My attention is caught in this current because I have never fully realized that it was given to me for another purpose." -The Reality of Being, by Jeanne de Salzmann pg. 35.

Ultimately, I believe there is a truer level of reality, the real consciousness, unbiased by our attachments to life. What Whitley Strieber offers is a direct understanding to reach a higher level of consciousness.

Mama Shine

Post Number: 18237
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 7:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I looked around for a thread and this
one may be as close as I could find.

~~~

"I've had lucid dreams, but I have no technique for repeating them on demand. The dream state is possibly anticipating this cultural frontier that we're moving toward. That we're moving toward something very much like eternal dreaming, going into the imagination, and staying there, and that would be like a lucid dream that knew no end, but what a tight, simple solution. One of the things that interests me about dreams is this -- I have dreams in which I smoke DMT, and it works. To me that's extremely interesting, because it seems to imply that one does not have to smoke DMT to have the experience. You only have to convince your brain that you have done this, and it then delivers this staggering altered state.

How many people who have had DMT dream occasionally of smoking it and have it happen? Do people who have never had DMT ever have that kid of an experience in a dream? I bet not. I bet you have to have done it in life, to have established the knowledge of its existence, and the image of how it's possible, but then this thing can happen to you without any chemical intervention. It is more powerful than any yoga, so taking control of the dream state would certainly be an advantageous thing and carry us a great distance toward the kind of cultural transformation that we're talking about. How exactly to do it, I'm not sure. The psychedelics, the near death experience, the lucid dreaming, the meditational reveries ... all of these things are pieces of a puzzle about how to create a new cultural dimension that we can all live in a little more sanely than we're living in these dimensions."

~Terence McKenna...
~Nature Boy

Sharon2
Username: sharon2468

Post Number: 5434
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Interesting post, Mama.

I think we could all be masters of our own universe.... if we would realize it.

I get lost in my creative outlets. Either writing, sewing, beading, painting, etc.
If I have any aches and pains, I know if I start one of my projects, either the pain goes away or I am just not focused on it.

You can't focus on two things at once!
That was a wonderful discovery!
Our life is determined by the choices we make!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: