Archive through June 12, 2008 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Psychology, Sociology & the Mind » Sourdough Sal’s Insomniacs paranoia café » Archive through June 12, 2008 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

kathy decker
Username: kat

Post Number: 793
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 1:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi Sal. Sure is good to see you tonight. I'll have a hot chocolate with marshmallows, and a big pan of unpopped popcorn. I am going to stoke up this fire and get that corn a-poppin, I am so happy to be home.

The last few months I have felt like an orphaned child without a single place to hang my hat. The danged contraption we call a computer had blocked me from coming here for so long I feel like a newbie.
I have the problem licked now, though and this is the first place I thought I'd come.

(Thanks, Sal, the fire is hot enough to get it poppin now)

I have been living with a flood warning the past few days (it's cancelled, now, but not before it the river rose up in the fields behind me).

Fields. I call them fields, but once there were houses there, and yards, torn down just this past year after they were ruined in the big flood..

Anyhoo, I see that the normal spring flooding is enough to upset me still, and I have decided that one day we will definitely move away, find a house on a hill.Can't now, though, broke and in debt, this house is all we can call our own. at least it is finally paid for....

Oh, well, enuff whining. Speaking of wine...we need to have a party again sometime soon and bring some life back to Sal's. Buddie, do you remember the good old days when unmentionables wound up on the chandelier? heh heh

And speaking of buddies-remember my cat Buddy that died a few years ago? Well, I was astral traveling and was being bothered by some lower form of "wildlife", suddenly there was a great slashing and the "wildlife" was no more. Now back when I used to travel a lot, I seemed to have a large bird as my animal protector. Apparently the bird has been replaced, by, you guessed it-my old friend Buddy the Cat.

Boy was it great to see him. I hadn't seen him since right after he died, then this September I got a Christmas card from him-an artist's rendering of His Fierceness himself, a little reminder that he was around, received right around the anniversary of his demise.

I get the feeling he was in some kind of a training program to become my totem, anyhow, he is back.

(pours melted real butter and sprinkles salt on the popcorn)

Crazy stuff, you say? Well, Sal, only here can I speak my truth. Only here.

Who is still here? Who has left us? Is Susi still around? Who is new? I know Mama, Buddie and Moon are still here, but it is going to take me a while to catch up.

God, it's good to be home. (Munches popcorn)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Humans believe they are devils pretending to be angels when, in fact, the reverse is true.

buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 5997
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

do I ever remember that party
kathy we sure had a blast back then..
guess the timing was just right.. you guys
And Sal were the very first people I ever
felt attached to over the internet..it was all
so new :-)
Ohhh I'm so happy Buddie came to you ..
I did have my cat Bonnie who used to visit
but I was so freaked out by things back
then I guess she decided to leave well
enough alone and sit back and watch me
somewhat evolve LOL

a we n' de yauh ho. eh

buddie

Post Number: 6000
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Lets bring down the Disco Ball Sal
Com'on kathy :-)
http://pop.youtube.com/watch?v=8yRdDnrB5kM
a we n' de yauh ho. eh

moonhowler
Username: moonhowler923

Post Number: 870
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 5:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Just dropping in to say howdy. Gotta go get back in bed. This dang "kiddie virus" surely does play havoc with this old body. Feel like I've been sick forever. Grandson is now terrific, just Momma, Daddy, Grandpa and Grandma are bedridden!!!

A toddy for the body x 4 please, Sal. Ain't comin' in all the way. Don't want to expose anyone else. G-R-O-A-N !!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~ No good deed goes unpunished. ~~

kathy decker

Post Number: 798
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

A toddy sounds great. I'll have one too, Sal. I am sorry you are feeling under the weather, Moon, but one of Sal's hot toddies will knock that ole virus right outa you!

Buddie, I wish we had that old Jerry Lee Lewis back again. I saw him last night at the Grammys, he can still sing but age has taken some of the the zip out of his zipper,haha.

The Grammys depressed me a little.So many of the icons I enjoyed during my teens are now old and gray, but then, I am not the charming little beauty I once was.

Aah, youth. Too bad we don't appreciate it while we've got it.

Got the disco ball going, now, it was a little dusty, but it shined up right purty with the windex.

(Shake it baby, shake it-whew- just looked at my rear in that mirror over there-whooole lotta shakin goin on)
Humans believe they are devils pretending to be angels when, in fact, the reverse is true.

kathy decker

Post Number: 799
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Oh, look! Our shiny disco ball has attracted some wanderers. Do you think they might be time travelers?

http://pop.youtube.com/watch?v=LyKWSCi5uSo

kathy decker

Post Number: 800
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Look-more time travelers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VSuCtebBT0

kathy decker

Post Number: 801
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Holy Toledo Sal- I knew this place was on The Edge, but you need to explain to me why, when I opened the door to the kitchen, I saw this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx8NAi0L3fA

moonhowler

Post Number: 871
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 5:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I gotta find a way to get DSL. Takes me tooooooo long to download youtube.

Hey,Mama Shine, I forgot to give you congrats on the new grandbaby. So...CONGRATS. Can you post a photo? I tried to post mine, but screwed up, as usual. Back to the drawing board!
(Dang virus still hangin' on!)

buddie

Post Number: 6024
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 6:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hope you feel better soon moonhowler
Whewwwww!! goes into Quazzie Trance
from the Disco dance floor lights
a we n' de yauh ho.

Mama Shine
Username: mama_shine

Post Number: 5489
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Peeks in..lawds, this place is jumping! Grabs Buddie and does a 2 step across the floor. Whew, Sal, give me a club sandwich and coffee hmm, naw, make that hot tea. LOL

Thanks Moonhower. My daughter has her hands full because she is breast feeding and has to do all the work. She is trying to get on a schedule but no luck so far. Daddy is good with Dustin and he really helps her a lot, but she has to be on call for the feedings. LOL

Kathy, glad to see ya back.
I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. ~William Blake

fortwynt
Username: fortwynt

Post Number: 4452
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I don't miss those days...I realize the doctors and nurses are very adamant about breat feeding, but honestly they take it to an almost religious level, and treat you like cr*p if you don't do it....when my childs mother was in there, she had a really scary emergency just after birth, that pretty much caused her to not be able to immediately start breast feeding and they just kept bringing the baby around to her as if she should just "suck it up" or something....so the baby was started on forumula and ended up on it exclusively, though a little from time to time for the first few months she'd get breast milk...it's just remarkable how they treat you if you act like you don't want to breast feed....it was quite eye opening to me.
http://www.myspace.com/fortwynt

I love to add new friends!

Mama Shine

Post Number: 5490
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

You are right Fort, I had that happen to me, because I was unable to feed one of my kids naturally. I was made to feel worthless. My daughter had a hard time of it too and had to have an emergency c-section so she couldn't breast feed at first either. They gave him a bottle but later when she got home her milk came through. I told her if it didn't, so what. Damn pressure on new Moms..people need to mind their own business.

fortwynt

Post Number: 4454
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

and that isn't even mentioning the WIC people...now there are some folks who almost want to FORCE the issue of breastfeeding...maybe well meaning perhaps, but I wasnt breastfed and i turned out pretty much healthy (as far as i can tell), not to mention they demonstrated that all the studies saying how drastically better breastmilk is from other things was somewhat flawed...not that i dont realize that the best thing is breastmilk by far because its only natural, but clearly there are safe alternatives.
http://www.myspace.com/fortwynt

I love to add new friends!

animalspirits
Username: animalspiritstalstarcom

Post Number: 2316
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Fort,

now there are some folks who almost want to FORCE the issue of breastfeeding

I hope not. My kid would have starved to death.

Understand that all things are sacred--yet nothing is sacred.

~Yotee Coyote

Second Wind
Username: second_wind

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

My kid would have starved, too! I tried so hard, for nearly 3 weeks, to breastfeed him. But he was not getting enough nutrition, and was never getting satisfied, and I was never getting ANY sleep.

However, it wasn't all that much better after he went on formula. I didn't get but about 3-4 hours sleep a day, for nearly a year after he was born. I am not exaggerating!

I won't even go into what it was like when trying to get my milk to dry up.....the Army docs would not give me meds to dry it up.....it was not fun.

Sal, I'll take a Corona with lime, and some chips and salsa.

Sure is quiet around here!
"In the end, only kindness matters."

moonhowler

Post Number: 872
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 4:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

My daughter-in-law breast fed for three months and began immediately after a C-section. She had to go back to work, so Steve only got 3 months of "mother's milk". And that little sucker has grown like a weed - with only 3 months of "natural nursing".

And Fort's right, the original studies on the subject were (and current ones still are) flawed. In "the old days" breast feeding was probably the best way to go, but with all the additives and crap they put in ADULT food these days, the babies are being exposed to the toxic effects from day one. Mommy's immune system isn't what it was 50 years ago because she has too many things to fight off, and little baby isn't getting that much benefit from Mommy's immunity and/or nutrition.

I think I'll have a tall glass of WHOLE milk, Sal, with a roast beef sandwich with all the fixin's, with ice-cream with red raspberry sauce on top. (What's a little more mucus when fighting the kiddie virus!!)

SW, we're all too tired right now to get up an move around much. Cabin fever?

Second Wind

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 6:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I sure do hear ya, Moonhowler! Both about our immune systems, and about Cabin Fever!

And Sal, this time, I'll have whatever you suggest is best tonight/this morning! Unless, of course, I don't like it!

moonhowler

Post Number: 874
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 3:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Today's Feb. 25. Where is everybody? Sal? Are you still here? Getting spooky here all by my lonesome. Hello. Hello. (echo) (echo).

Gawd, did the aliens come take everybody away?

Second Wind

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 5:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Moon, I'm sorry you are feeling spooked by being here all alone!

I will sit with you a while! (Hugs)

Sal, may I please have whatever you've got that will ease my racing heart?

Mama Shine

Post Number: 5674
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Walks in with a hood over my head because I
am wanting to be hooded...I don't know...
Sal please give me a pot of hot chocolate and a mug. Grabs my Greyfus stuffie and some blankies.

Settles in a corner covered in blankies and hugging my stuffie and sipping hot chocolate.
Nothing makes any sense to me...

Second Wind

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 1:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

me either, Mama. What the hell is going on?

I really am not a "born pessimist". People used to call me "Sunshine" and "bubbly".

But things just don't feel good.

Sal, I'll take some of that herbal tea that gives a feeling of well-being, with no hang-over or other potential consequences!

moonhowler

Post Number: 875
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 2:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yes. Exactly. Things just don't seem right. It's so difficult to find anything positive happening...just goes from bad to worst (Not really "worst". I never want to see "worst".)

(Walks over and puts in some change in the jukebox.) Here's some happy music to cheer things up. Wish I knew how to get music to this site, but just pick out your favorite happy song and hum it in your head.

Mama Shine, what's the matter, honey? Tell us all about it. Maybe we've had similar and can help. (Moonhowler plops her butt on the floor near Mama Shine, prepared to listen.)

Mama Shine

Post Number: 5675
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 2:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Dunno whats the matter Moon..just a feeling. It's not really depression, hmmmm, not enough anger to muster up a hissy, no big worries about making ends meet or anything.....something just seemed to creep over me, I don't feel like playing my piano, I'm just listening for something and I don't know what.

SW, may know what I mean...I almost hope she doesn't cause that would mean somebody else feels like this. A feeling with no name.

You're kind to listen Moon...sips hot chocolate and wonders.

moonhowler

Post Number: 877
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 3:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well, MS, we've got to take care of each other and if that means just listening, that's what we need to do. I hope the feeling goes away soon. Had myself a good cry in the wee hours of what is now yesterday morning because I just "had that feeling" too. Don't know if it's the same feeling you're having, but I guess the cry did me some good.

And then yesterday we had the blackout. Was the feeling a premonition? I don't know nuttin' for sure anymore. (When the "officials" swear there was no "criminal or terroristic tactics involved", my radar screen lights up.)

Wait. I'll go find my old guitar and sing you a song. It will either cheer you up or send you into great fits of laughter at what a horrid performer I am.

Second Wind

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 4:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mood music...........

Killin' The Blues

Through The Mornin', Through The Night

And, this one, especially for you, Mama.

Mama Shine

Post Number: 5678
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thanks SW..."Make Levees, Not War".

kathy decker

Post Number: 803
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Leap Year Day. Oh, Boy.
My 28 year old daughter is moving back in with us today.We have no place for her to sleep, so she will get the couch, she has fallen on hard times.

My poor baby.

She is putting most of her stuff in storage and will stay here until she can get back on her feet.
I got roadrunner today. I will be able to visit much more often, now. Listening to the Robert Plant, I love it.
It is freezing out,the snow is covering the ground, and I am wishing I had a much bigger house, one with a furnace and three bedrooms and and a good roof.
My daughter moved her kitties into the basement two weeks ago (they don't get along with my cats and dog) and we are using the kerosene heater down there to keep them warm.I hate the thing, it stinks.

We have so much more work to do here still, and now the roof is leaking.

I would love a hot toddy, Sal, and my monkey stuffie. Oh, and is anyone using this big old quilt? I need to snuggle.

Sure is nice to be among friends again.

Mama Shine

Post Number: 5700
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Kathy,

Sorry your daughter's having hard times, bless her heart. My daughter had the same and had to move in with us after Katrina and a failed relationship. But things took a turn for the better and now she has a fiancee and a brand new baby and they have bought and are re building a damaged Katrina house. Things were real bad for her but look what happened.I hope things get better for your daughter.

Feeling kinda blah today Sal, don't feel like food. Grabs my Grayfus stuffie and hopes theres room under that quilt, Kathy.

kathy decker

Post Number: 804
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

There's always room for you, mama. I am glad your daughter is doing well now, hearing that gives me hope. I remember you mentioning her and her little cat.
The snow is blowing and drifting outside now. My husband is out there somewhere with my daughter and a big truck, moving her things into storage.
I made a huge pot of vegetatian chili, and when they get home I'll ladle it steaming into bowls,and we'll sit around the fire and look out the front window at the fat flakes falling down on the pine tree outside.

(Message edited by kat on February 29, 2008)

moonhowler

Post Number: 878
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 4:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sorry Kathy and Mama Shine for the problems you and your families are having. But so glad you stopped in to be with us. Having friends around helps a lot.

Sending good vibes and light, love and prayers. (Grabs a blankie and sits with Kathy & Mama.) Come on you guys, lets make big circle around Kathy & Mama. We'll all meditate.

buddie

Post Number: 6108
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Plays A7 on the Juke Box ..
grabs bear and plops self next to
Sal and some of the sweetest kindest
people I know ..
Beatles Across the Universe :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbirjVeI_Pk
a we n' de yauh ho.

Mama Shine

Post Number: 5710
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Moonhowler,

My daughter's problems greatly improved and I was telling kathy I pray her daughter's do as well. But I'll share the love and light, you're a generous soul Moonhowler.

Waves to Buddie...I posted that last month in the science box...great song.

moonhowler

Post Number: 879
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 3:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

A tiny piece of good news. Our neighborhood peacock is back in the neighborhood! I thought perhaps somebody had turned him in to animal control because I've not seen him in so long. It was SO good to see him back.

And some mockingbirds have taken up residence in the neighbor's side yard. Haven't seen too many birds of any kind in a while. Guess maybe they had to go farther south this year or something.

Anyway, it's good to see SOMETHING seemingly come back to normal.

Love, light and all those things still going out to those who are in need of them. Hang in there. Despite it all, better things are on the way. (A little birdie told me so!)

kathy decker

Post Number: 805
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

That's great. A neighborhood peacock!

We are settling in fine here, thanks for all the good things you always send my way.

Right back at ya!

Sal, I will have some of your whole grain pancakes with walnuts, lots of real maple syrup and a big mug of coffee. MMmm

Supposed to be 50 degrees today, right now the sun is shining, but another ice storm coming tomorrow.Brrrrrrr...

Mama Shine

Post Number: 5828
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I am hoping you'll see this Kathy as you know how this type thing can affect folks after going through a disaster Sorry to complain.Sal, I'll pass on the food for now.

-----------------------------------------------
Feeling relieved today.Day before yesterday
my husband had pains in his chest and arm and feared his heart. The doctor took him immediately and ran all tests even kept him overnight last night to monitor him.He finally checked out awhile ago and is okay...I hope. God the stress of going through Katrina , on so many levels ..well I feared it has taken its toll on him. Many in my neighborhood alone have had heart attacks and worse as a result of the trauma. I was really scared there for a bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Message edited by mama_shine on March 08, 2008)

animalspirits

Post Number: 2571
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mama,

I am so glad he checked out and is fine.

Do you think he could be have post traumatic stress syndrome related to Katrina?

~Yotee Coyote

Mahalla
Username: robin

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I am sure that was very frightening for both of you Mama. I sure hope if there is a prob they find it quickly, better yet, hope he doesn't have a prob at all. I recall you saying he was working on a boat recently? Could he maybe have strained a chest muscle? Even certain foods can trigger that kind of pain, gastro probs, etc. My mom has a bad heart and my dad died from a heart attack, so I remember these things and the process of eliminating causes. Stress can also cause these pains, even when it is not a real attack and so can a bad gall bladder. I sure hope he will be okay! I am sending prayers. You know we all love you!
huggg
Robin

Mama Shine

Post Number: 5829
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

AS, Thanks..I know the after stress of Katrina has taken its toll on both of us. The insurance man came by the other day taking pictures to see if we built back to specifications. My husband has done most of the work himself..if it doesn't check out, we can't get insured again. Hell, They're even kicking poor folks out their trailers now..sorry, times up.

Mahalla,

You are so sensitive to remember about him working on the boat. I watched that position he was in working bent over on the floor of the boat and i thought..how painful that must be. I didn't say when he was scared about his heart that it might have been that..wierd you would remember...Thank you so much for caring.

Hugs back,

Gail

animalspirits

Post Number: 2574
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mama,

The insurance man came by the other day taking pictures to see if we built back to specifications. My husband has done most of the work himself..if it doesn't check out, we can't get insured again.

That would increase my stress level through the roof. I hope it all goes well...you will let us know won't you?

d

~Yotee Coyote

kathy decker

Post Number: 807
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm sorry about your hubby. mamas.

Could very well be anxiety.

My heart was racing this past weekend due to spring flooding, even though the water did not come near the house. I told everyone I was fine, thought I was, you know, but then the nightmares came back, the ones about mold and worms and mud.

Now, with our insurance, when we had a mortgage, the bank released the money gradually as the work was deemed up to spec. This time, the bank took the money to pay off the mortgage and only gave us what was left over. We had to borrow the rest through the SBA in order to make the house livable again. We kept all receipts, but if there is another flood we will have to prove that we used at least 35,00 to repair the house, even though we had to borrow most of it. We managed to get out of this mess without a mortgage or any lien on the property, but the work was exhausting, and we are now deep into our tax return because the bedroom hasn't been repaired yet, or the porches, or the roof, which now leaks. Our savings are long gone, as well as any further borrowing ability.

Stress has done a number on all of us the past few years.

Mama-can you and hubby get away, go somewhere else for a weekend ?
We did it, so did our neighbors, an off season coupla days in a hotel, it makes the real world come back into focus when you forget the house and let yourselves rest and be together as you once were.

Second Wind

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

God, my heart goes out to you who have been through the flooding.

All I have to do is listen to the news, to know that, anymore, none of us, regardless of where we live, are immune from this kind of thing. Weather tragedies are becoming more and more widespread, in places that have never experienced them to this degree before. This has even happened, though on a much smaller scale, where I live in the middle of the West Texas desert.

There, but for the Grace of God, go I.

Sal, I'm buying a round of whatever everyone wants, in honor of the brave souls who have weathered these storms, and continue to be so strong!

Mama Shine

Post Number: 5870
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thanks for your compassion SW.

Kathy, my husband seems better now just getting the check up may have helped but he still feels the toll of it all as I do. Getting away doesn't work for us...seems weird but we are both Cancers. We are homebodies and feel safe and
protected "at home". Also my anxiety attacks won't let me go anywhere. We are fortunate that we live near the water that we love and have the wonderful birds and ducks and geese. Also, we never spend much cause we neve go anywhere. Heck I used to go a lost and had a great wardrobe of clothes...now I'm happy in jeans and shirts from Wal-mart. Maybe I'll get over it and will venture out more...ain't going to press myself. Lawds, when my ip number got banned yesterday I thought...yikes, I've lot my good friends. Didn't realize how much ya'll all mean to me.

Thanks for letting me yak. Sal I want a big glass of iced sweet tea and some cheese-its, if ya got some.

kathy decker

Post Number: 810
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I understand, mama. I am a homebody myself. Its very difficult to get me out of here-I haven't left the house since last Friday, and that was just to get groceries. My hubby likes to go, though, so he gets me to go too.

I had a huge wardrobe before the flood, now its tees and five dollar sweats from K Mart, and I am happy.

You know, Sw, that is what I always say.

There, but for the Grace of God, go I.

None of us is safe. The weather is all riled up, and I knew hard times were coming a long time ago. there are wildfires, and flooding, tornadoes and earthquakes, hurricanes and volcanic eruptions. Where do you go?
My answer is to stay wherever God plants me and hope that grace will pull me through.

So far, it has worked. I have learned a lot from the experience, and I think there is a lot more to learn.

The key is sharing.

Without the community, we would be devastated. Our little neighborhood pulled together, just like we do here in this little online community, helping and sharing whatever we have to offer..

Love is the only way.

Sweet tea sounds good to me, too, and some crackers to go with that excellent cheese, thanks.

fortwynt

Post Number: 4791
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hey Sal, how about some powdered doughnuts?? Maybe an ice cold coke-cola too.
...CALM LIKE A BOMB...

R.A.T.M

Mama Shine

Post Number: 5896
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Look Sal, Fort's got powdered sugar all over
his face. Needs to come to New Orleans and
try some beignets at the Cafe du monde. I'm in the mood for some tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich. Lawds Fort, thought I wuddent be eating in Sals no more..hehe, but here I am. Miss posting links but better not push it fo they slap me down again.

fortwynt

Post Number: 4792
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

yeah ya gotta watch postin underlined words that change the cursor, apparently they don't like that! HA!

YUMMMMM Grilled Cheese, now that sounds like a damned fine idea...MAKE IT TWO DJ SAL!
...CALM LIKE A BOMB...

R.A.T.M

Mama Shine

Post Number: 5898
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 2:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Fort,

Hehe, didn't mean to be a buttinski down in the spiritual box. Guess Native must be a writer or something. Sho is quiet on board this morning, ain't it?

fortwynt

Post Number: 4795
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 2:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yup sho is mama. Bums me out a little I must say...but hey, if people don't wanna talk, whaddya gonna do?
...CALM LIKE A BOMB...

R.A.T.M

moonhowler

Post Number: 888
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 5:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I wanna talk, I wanna talk, but I'm having trouble with my telephone line and can't seem to get a repairman out. Supposed to come around noon today. Please, Lord, let them get it fixed RIGHT this time!

Puppy Dixie is doing well. She was "fixed" on Tuesday, and had her dew claws removed. She was a little groggy from the anesthesia, and the pain medications, but came through like the trouper she is. Don't remember if I told youse guys, but she's a Chesapeake Bay Retriever mixed with Shepherd. Was worried for a while there she might have some pit bull in her, but vet says no.

However, she chews EVERYTHING. Unbelievable. She was even eating the mail when we put it on the credenza, so obviously we had to find a higher place to put it. And she chews on me and hubby and whatever else she pleases. We continue to try to be patient with her to get her manners up to speed. She can't get to meet grandson until we're sure she won't eat him up - he's sweet as sugar, ya know !!!

I'm glad you guys are here. MS (and all the others) I'm glad you guys weren't really "banned". Wasn't online for several; days and thought Armageddon must have hit when I wasn't looking.

Food and drink for everyone on me, Sal, and I'll have some of that wonderful tasting raspberry wine. Hugs to all.

kathy decker

Post Number: 811
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Now, raspberry wine-that sounds good and reminds me of spring.
Shoots are coming up in the garden,and I went to the cemetery today to put some spring flowers and a palm cross on my dad's grave. Hard to believe he's been gone over a year-his birthday was Thursday.
I have this thing I do when I go to visit the grave-I say"Daddy, sing me a song" and it is amazing what I get on the radio. Once it was Frank Sinatra's Summer Wind-on a rock station!Dad loved Frank and was listening to him the day he died.
I got My Girl, and a lot of other songs that are meaningful to me.
When I went up to the cemetary on his birthday I was still reeling from the flood warnings of the past week-After my visit I got into the car and turned on the radio and right away the song came on-

I can see clearly now the rain is gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright, bright sunshinin' day

Oh yes, I can make it now the pain is gone
All of the bad feelings have disappeared
Here is the rainbow I've been praying for

Look all around, there's nothing but blue skies
Look straight ahead, there's nothing but blue skies

I can see clearly now the rain is gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Here's the rainbow I've been praying for
Real, real, real, real bright, bright sunshinin' day
Yeah, hey, it's gonna be a bright, bright sunshinin' day

Made me feel better.

Second Wind

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 3:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Kathy, that is such a cool story!

My mom used to send me songs, but it hasn't happened now in a long time. She died in 2000. I cannot believe it has been that long.

Today, March 15th, The Ides of March (yesterday, now), is the anniversary of the day she told me that she was dying. She died on April 28th.

There was one particular song that she sent to me several times over the first couple of years after she died. It was just about her favorite song, and became one of mine, as well. Even though it is technically about a romance that ended, it has still proven to be really appropriate for her to send me, when I am missing her really bad, and really "want my mommy"!

Don't look so sad
I know its over
But life goes on
And this old world will keep on turning

Let's just be glad
We had some time to spend together
Theres no need to watch the bridges that we're burning.

Lay your head upon my pillow
Hold your warm and tender body close to mine
Hear the whisper of the raindrops
Blowing soft against the window
And make believe you love me one more time
For the good times

I'll get along
You'll find another
And I'll be here
If you should find you ever need me

Don't say a word
about tomorrow, or forever
There'll be time enough for sadness
when you leave me

-------

We have been having wind warnings and fire danger warnings. It is not that it's that unusual to have the wind warnings, nor is it that unusual for the conditions to be so dry as to be ripe for fires. But I just cannot remember, in all my memory of living out here all my life, that there was this FOCUS on local news about wildfires, as there has been in the past couple or three years.

Then, last spring/summer, we were 11 inches over normal rainfall. We certainly need rain now. Seems to be either feast or famine.

Well, speaking of feast, Sal, I'll take one of everything. Feeling a hunger and craving that only your menu can satisfy!

Blessings, everyone!

Mahalla
Username: robin

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Kathy, Second Wind,
The song has happened to me so many times after I lost my brother. He loved certain songs and everytime I go to the graveyard, or if I am on my way to see my doctor, one of his favorite songs comes on the radio. It is like he is right there with me when I am afraid or visiting his grave. It's nice to know others have this happen.

kathy decker

Post Number: 812
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It is nice, isn't it? I feel connected when it happens, and to know that it happens with others reinforces the feeling that it is real, not just my imagination working overtime.

I'll have a fried egg sandwich on whole grain, with soy sausage and a big glass of V-8. Thanks, Sal.

For many years I have been wrestling with my thoughts on God and hell and all that stuff, and I have a new theory where everything fits.

This is Hell. This is as bad is it is ever gonna get.

You know, all those thoughts about,if God is so good, how come there is so much horror here on Earth.

Well.

It fits.

There is horror because it is Hell, but God is so good, He provides glimpses of the beauty that is heaven in nature's beauty, and the kindnesses we receive from others. By doing good here in Hell, we can redeem ourselves and actually move on to better realms, eventually all ending up in heaven. If we refuse to do good in this sojourn in Hell, well, we will just have to come back again.

Reincarnation.

Hehe,just musing by the fire, here, chewing on my egg sandwich.

Second Wind

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I find your musings VERY interesting, Kathy. Makes really good sense to me, and is certainly just as possible as many other "scenarios" that people believe in (or imagine)!

I have already had lunch, Sal, so I will just have whatever is on the menu today for dessert!

Special Brownies, you say?

Now, that's what I'm talkin' about!

moonhowler

Post Number: 890
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 7:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi, all - The peacock is back in the neighborhood again. This time he's taken up residence in the backyard of one of our " backyard neighbors". We seldom see him in the daytime unless he has to become airborne to get away from harassing cats or dogs, but he's really quite a squawker in the darkness. He usually cranks it up after midnight and doesn't quit til dawn. No wonder Janet Reno's neighbors were so provoked that she had about a half-dozen or so inhabiting her several acre plot of land in South Miami-Dade. (Her Mom made the home they lived in BY HERSELF because she wanted to. Reno's Dad made a good living, his wife was just a little "tech ed" in the head and very independent. The house was made out of Dade County pine - which is termite and bug resistant, but does not exist in any appreciable amount anymore. Typical South Florida home for the time -20's & 30's - with a screened porch all the way around so there was always plenty of breeze to cool things down. The area she lived in was not too far from the Bay, which made for even better breezes but also tons of mosquitoes.)

My Mom used to let me know she was around by the fragrance of her perfume - Shalimar. But I've not smelled it for many years now, though I'm sure she must be over at our son's house keeping an eye on her great-grandson. I can't go to the cemetery to visit her grave, and the graves of my grandmom and great-grandmom. I cry my eyes out, I miss them all so much. I'm going to be cremated, with my ashes scattered in Coconut Grove. No matter where I live, Coconut Grove will always be my home. My Mom's been passed over since 1982, way, way to young to pass.

Now I've gone and made myself cry-faced, so I'm going to bed. I hate to cry.

kathy decker

Post Number: 822
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Aww, moon that's too bad. How sad for you.I can't seem to get over losing my Dad, either, when I visit his grave I always have tears.

A peacock! Are they wild where you live? How marvelous, although I am sure the noise must drive you crazy.

Well, I started Weight watchers with my sister last night. The good news is I weigh twenty pounds less than I thought I did, but I still have a lot to lose. we are planning a family trip to the Jersey shore in July, I sure would like a new swimsuit.

buddie

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hugs Moon.. thank you for your story
and missing my Folks can at times bring
tears to my eyes.. us children keep a
smile though.. like how after we got a
bathroom installed dad refused to use it..
So the day after his funeral Mom said
Burn that eyesore.. My brother and I did
just that.. and folks were still coming
around to visit .. here I was in Dads Big
rubber boots with my brother watching it
burn and sharing a glass of wine each..
Poor Dad was out voted .. Dad and I we had
much contact after his death.. he came for
one last visit it broke my heart at the time
but I do know he's always around ..
Mom also but not as much as Dad.. one of my
nieces ( the first born ) Grans Fav.. had
the perfume experience it would happen when
she sat and played the piano not sure if it's
still going on.. I think Mom knows we were
sad and glad when she passed with AlTZ ..

Moon I do wish you could view some videos
online .. there is a lot out there it's
kind of new to me too :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8rD31zusOc&feature=related

On the Wings of a Dove ..
Ferlin Husky

On the wings of a snow-white dove
He sends His pure sweet love
A sign from above (sign from above)
On the wings of a dove (wings of a dove)

When troubles surround us, when evils come
The body grows weak (body grows weak)
The spirit grows numb (spirit grows numb)
When these things beset us, He doesn't forget us
He sends down His love (sends down His love)

When Noah had drifted on the flood many days
He searched for land (he searched for land)
In various ways (various ways)
Troubles, he had some but wasn't forgotten
He sent him His love (sent him His love)

buddie
Advanced Member

Post Number: 247
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sal it's so foggy and rainy
here I think I'll play A1..
How 'bout some bluegrass..
http://absastro.tripod.com/bluegrass/foggymtn.htm

kathy decker

Post Number: 838
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hey, Sal. I think I'll have a big glass of white wine, and just relax here by the fire. Still a bit cool in the evenings.

I went to my hometown on Mother's day, and came home with a parking ticket. How things have changed there- NY city folk bought up all my relative's houses, and don't want us around any more. Seems like they are trying to make Cornwall-on-Hudson a gated community or something.
Cop that issued the ticket never heard of my father, even though he was on the Village police force for years.
See, we weren't parked, just stopped to pick up a friend, but got ticketed just the same. Never even turned off the car motor.

Oh, well, sad, but whatever. They ticketed my daughter, too.

Funny how you can grow up in a town, like your daddy and granddaddy before him, and no one is left to remember.They've stolen my hometown away, paid big bucks for it, too.

Snobby wench from the city told my grandson they didn't want his kind around, he didn't belong there 'cause he was poor.He was only 14 at the time.

Ah, well.

Say Goodnight, Kathy.

Goodnight, Kathy.

Mama Shine

Post Number: 7061
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi Sal,

Long time, no see.
Just an order of french fries
and a Mountain Dew for me.

Walks over and checks on my
Grayfus stuffie.. ((hugs))

animalspirits

Post Number: 3323
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sal,

Stopping by...you still open?

~Yotee Coyote

buddie
Advanced Member

Post Number: 493
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

AS whats your stuffie :-)

animalspirits

Post Number: 3334
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

FOOD! I'm on a 12 fast to have lab work done and I'm starving!

~Yotee Coyote

buddie
Advanced Member

Post Number: 497
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Here Sal I'll get this one..
gives animalspirits.. water
lemon on the side with ice?

Sal said she has an open kitchen
once she sees your Lab results ..
Or you can order specials ..
Sals is a magical place :-)

animalspirits

Post Number: 3344
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

buddie,

Water with lemon on the side sounds heavenly!

Its hot down here in the South.

~Yotee Coyote

Mama Shine

Post Number: 7269
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Wow, I saw the lighs on in here. Got to where
I almost stopped checking anymore.

Buddie, AS...nice to see ya'll.
When ya going on ya trip Buddie?
Didn't know you were having tests made AS.hope it
ain't serious.

animalspirits

Post Number: 3345
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mama,

Me too. Should find out in a couple of weeks.

~Yotee Coyote

Native Alien
Advanced Member
Username: blue_screen

Post Number: 467
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

a music gift for Sal

From his friends at the Pub.

Enjoy
You don't want another Enron? Here's your law: If a company, can't explain, in ONE SENTENCE....what it does....it's illegal.

Lewis Black

buddie
Advanced Member

Post Number: 500
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 5:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Steps one off to the Chieftains
grabs Mamas an spins around the
cafe..
Mamas I'm zooming away early
Saturday morning Yippy Skippy :-)

buddie

Post Number: 501
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 5:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

AS I know your going to be fine..
but waiting for test results
really bites

edited for missing word

(Message edited by buddie on June 12, 2008)

Mama Shine

Post Number: 7273
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Buddie,

Going to Virginia, aren't ya?
My oldest son lives 4 miles off the Blue Ridge Parkway in Asheville, N.C. My daughter used
to camp in the Shenandoah Valley. Its a beautiful area..I've spent lots of time in Asheville. Bonnie brought me lots of rocks from
Virginia and I have them in my gardens and back porch. Katrina didn't wash them away.

Mahalla
Intermediate Member
Username: jean

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hey yall, I live in ole virginny and been on the parkway many times. Great places to view the stars up thar.

Mama Shine

Post Number: 7275
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN86d0CdgHQ

Mahalla
Intermediate Member
Username: jean

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Use to play that on my guitar for my Mamaw. When she passed they played it at her funeral.