Archive through February 17, 2007 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Psychology, Sociology & the Mind » Sourdough Sal’s Insomniacs paranoia café » Archive through February 17, 2007 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patricia Davis
Username: patricia

Post Number: 11277
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

OMG, you're so pretty! I don't know what I expected--a bedraggled flood victim?!*LOL*--but you and your family look very prosperous and happy. And I'd say you look *spunky*! Mary Lou has my prayers for a full recovery.

I've GOT to find the courage to face a camera so that I can post a pic of myself here--I'm really, really camera shy, unfortunately

I'll have a glass of that wine--just finished packing for my wee trip and I'm *beat*
"I think it would be a good idea." Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization ;o)

kathy decker
Advanced Member
Username: kat

Post Number: 406
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I was looking like a bedraggled flood victim, but Lizzie's wedding helped pull me out of that. We adore her and her new husband, and the plans for the trip necessitated the buying of clothing, getting hair cut and styled, proper makeup, etc.
I had spent the entire summer and fall dressed in raggedy mud stained t-shirts and cutoffs and almost forgotten how to comb my hair.
This was such an important and joyful event in our family that it finally took the focus off of our misery and reminded us how great life can truly be.

The sad thing is, as soon as I saw my sister walk down the aisle as mother of the bride, I started crying, and did not stop. Off and on all evening the waterworks went.
At one point I looked around the table at my poor dad, suffering so much from his cancer, to my sister, bravely fighting hers, and just could not hold back the tears. It seemed as though a curse had been laid on our beautiful family.

Later, Mary Lou said she was feeling the same way, knowing we had lost so much, and dad, so ill.

Pat, I am so camera shy, there are very few approved photos of myself out there.
Humans believe they are devils pretending to be angels when, in fact, the reverse is true.

moonhowler
Username: moonhowler923

Post Number: 640
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 3:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well, I'm flat plug-ugly, so I'm NOT gonna post my puss on this Board. I let relatives take my photo in the hope that someday one will come out looking "good", then when they don't, I try to get the original and hide it away. After I pass, whomever finds my shoebox full of photos can then give the family a good laugh, and I will be laughing with them. My police ID photo (when you worked in the hospital I worked in, one had to have a police ID on file, as did anyone who worked in a place where drugs were dispensed) was soooooooooo bad, that I gave it as a gift to a co-worker when I left to work for another hospital. Every time she saw that photo she broke up with laughter, so I told her to pull it out and look at it when things got tough and she needed a good laugh. I wonder if she still hs it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~ No good deed goes unpunished. ~~

buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 3483
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 5:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

OH MoonH..that's great..
reminds me of a friend from 'down home'
she came to visit a few years back and
snapped a pic of me sleeping on my back
as a 'morning after' pic..well we both
add touches like a paper bra..or what
have you.. this is a waist up shot..
and mail it back and forth when the urge
hits us..So it's now 7 years she's been
in transit..
We gave her a name and sorry to say a
reputation along the way..the last my
friend told me she went missing 2 years
ago but low and behold this Xmas she
dropped in to visit via Xmas card..LOL

One quality thats a MUST in any friend I
have is they MUST be as WACKY as I am ...

This is Odd..I run from having my picture
taken also..and not to get all serious like
but it's very deep rooted
I do intend to put one here..one day when
I get enough memory to hold pictures..

Sal I'll have a big gooey fudge sunday..
with multi colored sprinkles

(Message edited by buddie on January 18, 2007)

Qua da di

kathy decker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 407
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi everybody. Sal, I would like a chicken salad sandwich and a big glass of chocolate milk. Mmm thanks.
I am making a cajun bean soup for supper, smells good.
Moon, I bet you are lovely, but like me, usually so unphotogenic your pics look like someone else entirely. I have many rotten photos of myself, now, if I don't like them, I throw them right in the trash.

My mom called me today. She heard about my ghost in the black bowler hat. Turns out my grandfather's uncle Johnny wore a bowler hat. He died in the house I grew up in, where my mom still lives.
My grandfather saved the bowler hat when his uncle died. and my mother still has the hat in the attic. I wonder why, if it is my great-great uncle's spirit I have been seeing, he would visit me?

My mom also told me my dad, who is in the hospital, told her that all his deceased brothers and sisters came to visit him. All twelve of them. He told her he showed them around the hospital.
My mom sounded scared-my dad is out of it a lot right now, just had more surgery.
Humans believe they are devils pretending to be angels when, in fact, the reverse is true.

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 11284
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

kathy--OMG--you've managed to ID a ghost! Do you know how rare that is?! Good on you! And the ability to be aware of the departed tends to run in families, too--so it's not surprising that your Dad saw his siblings.

I'm still phobic about having my pic taken--at the wedding in Nassau this past weekend, I kept trying to dodge the constant photography, but I'm sure I'm in some of them Thanks for the laughs, you guys--I needed them

SO jet-lagged today, Sal! I need some comfort food--tomato soup and crackers and tapioca pudding for dessert, methinks.....
"I think it would be a good idea." Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization ;o)

kathy decker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 415
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

MmM-I'll have some of that tomato soup, too, Sal.

My mom cracked up about the hat-she said I can have it and give it back to great-uncle Johnny.
Now how would I go about doing that? How do you return a hat to a ghost?
I know I will end up with the darn thing now.

My sis got my dad set up at er house with hospice today. We couldn't stand the thought of leaving him in the hospital to die, and my mom can't take care of him at home, she is too confused right now.
I leave tomorrow to stay for a few days or however long sis needs me-send me courage, everyone. The death of a parent is hard, especially for a daddy's girl like me.

We are trying to find out the name of the studio where dad cut a record back in the fifties-I wish I had found out when he could still remember. I would love to hear him sing with that beautiful voice once more. He sang at my wedding, but none of my kids remember his voice, they were too young when he stopped singing, The alcohol and smokes did in his voice, eventually,but he had a natural talent, and sang professionally for years.

kathy decker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I added a foto of dad singing back in the day to my album here:
http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/billnkatdecker

It is the first one-just click on the picture for a better view.
i think he was singing at Bear Mountain there-not quite sure. he fronted for some of the big bands now and then, the girls used to flirt with him, it drove mom mad with jealousy, so eventually he quit show business, lol.

buddie

Post Number: 3615
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Oh kathy,,we lost Dad with a massive
heart attack..and 3 years ago had the
reverse with mom's death..
she had to be put in a home to linger AZ.
Dad was gone Poof..and Mom lingered..
Psychologically they're both devastating !!
Your in my thoughts kathy decker
Qua da di

buddie

Post Number: 3616
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

That picture of your Dad..
Wow he was a nightclub singer..
Now thats cool..
it looks like something from an old
mafia movie..Please let there be
recordings of him somewhere ??
Qua da di

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 11295
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Oh, kathy--I'm so sorry I didn't check in on this thread for so long and missed your post. How sad to take this difficult step with your Dad. I hope he'll be comfortable there in hospice. It's what I'd want done for myself, having loathed every hospitalization I've ever had.

Loved that old photo of him singing! How great that you have it to enjoy, too--it's like a peek into a time machine, isn't it? When we lost my dear Dad-in-law last year, The Skeptic found all sorts of wonderful old photos of him...some in uniform in WWII and some in night clubs. I too hope you find a recording of him singing.

moonhowler

Post Number: 651
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 7:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Kathy, I, too, am sorry for your impending loss. To lose a parent is such a difficult thing. I hope his transition is easy.

I didn't know my biological father, only remember seeing him twice in my life, and my step-dad was a bona fide demon. But the loss of my Mom damn near killed me and her transition was difficult, in the hospital ICU hooked up to tubes and machines, and I promised her I'd not let them "hook her up", but she passed away out of town and she was already on the machines before I could get up to where she was (a city in upstate Florida). When she left she took a piece of my soul with her, and also left a huge hole in my son's heart. I mourn her this very day. I cannot fault those who allowed her to be hooked up, they thought she could be saved; but Mom and I knew better. So I had to tell the doctors to let her go. God, how that hurt me, but that's what she wanted. She lingered for a week, and was lucid for at least the first four days I got there, so we did get to say our good-bye's.

I'm sending you prayers, and prayers for all your family. God be with you, and with your Dad.

kathy decker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 419
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

My dad died Wednesday night at my sister's home. His family was with him, holding him as he died, and we buried him with military honors this morning.
I will miss him, but hospice was wonderful and I will always be thankful that I was able to be with him at the end.

Thanks for all your kind thoughts.

I appreciate them more than you know.

Mama Shine
Username: mama_shine

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Kathy,

Bless you and your family. I know you loved your Dad very much and will miss him.

My Mama passed away at home and hospice was great with it. Now that it's over and you feel lonely , we are here for you.
Like a bolt out of the blue,
Fate steps in and sees you through.....

zenith
Username: legolas

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Condolences Kathy.

susi t learn
Username: etsi

Post Number: 5384
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

kathy

i'm so sorry. but you wanted him at home and i'm sure he was happy for that.

hospice is wonderful. they took care of my mom.

bless you and your family.

miaree9
Advanced Member
Username: miaree9

Post Number: 445
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

God bless you and your family, kathy, as you grieve. And bless your father on his journey to the heart of the mystery.

starspirit
Username: starspirit

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

My heart is with you Kathy

God Bless you & yours

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 11314
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm so sorry, kathy. And so glad your family acted on their decision to get him out of the hospital and back into the midst of his family before the end. Now he knows what we all discuss here and wonder about....he'll have my continued prayers as he wakens over there. My son was still resting in a sort of convalescent building when I was brought to him in a dream a few weeks after his passing. I think that people who are very ill before passing here need time to heal on a soul level sometimes, so I think that the old practice of praying for the departed is a good one--we can send energy to them and continue to nurture them as they move into the new world they've been born into....Which is a gift for everyone involved.
"The puppet thinks: It's not so much what they make me do, as their hands inside me..." Charles de Lint

buddie

Post Number: 3670
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 5:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Love you kathy I'm so sorry..he sure
sounded like a loving and wonderful Dad.
Blessings to you and your family..
Qua da di

kathy decker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 420
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thank you so much, everyone. No matter how much time I had with dad, it could never be enough.
I don't know where dad is now, he hasn't contacted anyone yet, but I think you may be right about a convalescent type of place, pat.
I will continue to talk to him and pray for his freedom and healing.
I told him as he died that it was the hardest thing he would ever have to do, to relax and just let go.
I am sure he understood me, and he did just that.

You all are the best, and he told me he appreciated all the prayers and healing sent to him from here in the past few years.

moonhowler

Post Number: 652
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 2:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Please add my voice to the chorus of condolences. I'm still praying for you and your family and your Dad. I was so numb after my Mom passed that I wasn't able to "hear" from her for many, many months. I was busy trying to take care of my son, who was the apple of her eye, and all the others in the family. I didn't get to grieve when I most needed to, thus I am still grieving today. So, Kathy, do your grieving now and know your Dad will be in touch when the time is right for both of you.

Blessings to all.

buddie

Post Number: 3761
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 5:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Labrat is doing well and she should have
her Mobile Home sold by March..she's quite
busy though and has her hands somewhat full.
She says Hi to everyone and misses us...
Love and protection to you L
Qua da di

graciesmom
Username: jmb

Post Number: 628
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Kathy, love and hugs and please accept my condolences as well. I am so glad your Dad was able to pass to the other side at home, as my father-in-law did. My mother, who died two years ago last Friday, was too weak too bring back home, but she still had a dignified, peaceful, painless passing.

God Bless You. moonhowler, I, too, am still in the numb phase even after two years. I keep hoping she will appear one night, but I know it doesn't work that way for everybody. I believe she has already moved on to a new life.

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 11348
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

moon, that "delayed grieving" thing is very common in the women I've known. I tend to react that way too and as a result have to grieve longer, I think. But as my kindly shrink once told me, there is no one "right" way to grieve. Everyone's different and we shouldn't beat ourselves up if we don't process our emotions in the currently socially accepted, approved manner.

I even do it with pets--probably because I'm the one in this family who is always left with the decision of when to have one put down and that guilt interferes with fully being able to feel the pain and grief.

buddie, thanks for the update on LabRat--I tend to suspect the worst when any survivor of MC drops out of sight. It's good to know for certain that it's happy busy-ness that's distracting her--that's what I was feeling when I thought of her, but my paranoia overpowers my intuition sometimes
"The puppet thinks: It's not so much what they make me do, as their hands inside me..." Charles de Lint

kathy decker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 429
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi Sal-gee, where is everybody? Must be this heavy snow is keeping people away, or they are home cuddling in front of the fire with their honeys.

I think I'll have the spaghetti special with garden style sauce. Oh, and lots of warm bread with real butter.

(moseys over to the jukebox, plays Sweet Seasons by Carly Simon.)

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes the blues get ahold of you

OKAY! OKAY! I'll stop singing, can I just hum? mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Boy, that snow and wind just keep coming, think I'll put another log on the fire.

Hope someone stops by today...

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 11385
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hum away, kathy Me, I'm unusually busy on 3 boards online and also beginning a painting that's turned out to be much more complex/challenging than I thought it would be--so my time's been sparse for the last whole week. But I've thought longingly a time or three for the nice, warm, delicious-food-smelling atmosphere of Sal's...look at those condensation-covered windows today! They make the Real World so nice and Impressionist/blurry, don't they?

I think I'll have more of that tomato soup with crackers and a big mug of hot coffee--both with lots of milk. And chocolate pudding like my grandmother used to make (from Jello, of course, but not the instant, at least)

Maybe I'll soon have something new for the Art Wall...the spacescape that I've been dragging my feet on for the past 6 months is almost done and this new one is finally getting off the ground. I think it's finally sunk in on my Painter alter that she has to paint *every day* if we're ever to get a body of work together again. No more of the 'just painting in class' evasions that result in only a couple new works per year for us!

kathy decker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 430
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I hear that, Pat! I love painting so much, yet there is always an excuse not to get started on any given day.

MMM those chocolates are sooo good, Sal. How nice of you to offer complimentary chocolates on Valentine's Day.

My neighbors just stopped over a while ago-they had to come to the back door because the gate was snowed in and frozen out front. We have well over a foot of snow now.

We had red cocktails in honor of the holiday, and listened to some music. Bob is a musician, we seem to get along well with other creative types of people.

Since the flood they have been heating their home with a kerosene heater while working on the installation of the furnace.
They just finished their bedrooms and moved all their clothing into the house.
And then...the heater malfunctioned last week, and covered everything in the house with heavy black soot, even their animals (cat, dog and guinea pig)..

Anyhow they had to move back into the FEMA trailor.

They just can't seem to catch a break... maybe we are all just doomed

(hums along to In a New York Minute on the juke)

TheLabRat
Username: thelabrat

Post Number: 896
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi, Y'all! Long time, no type to!!

Sal, I will take a tall cappuccino, and a BLT with some of that tomato soup!

kathy, I haven't been here enough recently to get to know you well.....but I have been feeling deeply for you, with what you have been through. My heart goes out to you about your father. I went through a similar situation with my Mother, who died of lung cancer on April 28, 2000.

And today, I have been praying for everyone who is struggling to survive after "natural disasters", and all the people struggling with the most recent storms.

I have also experienced delayed grieving over my Mother. Sometimes, it really "sneaks up on me".

I have been re-experiencing it recently, due to dealing with the mobile home I just moved out of. It is incredibly sad to go back into the empty, old, falling-apart trailer.

I had an unexpected melt-down recently when going inside and trying to get some cleaning done. I know some of the intense emotions were suppressed grief for my Mother.....but there have been some other intense emotions attached to the MH, that I guess I was not expecting.

My Mother bought the MH in 1984, and left it to me when she died. If not for her, I would not have survived to this day.

I am babbling.........no surprise there!

Just thinking about you all, and wanted to touch base, and especially to tell you, Kathy, that my thoughts and prayers are with you.

"In A New York Minute" makes me cry like a baby, EVERY time!
"In the end, only kindness matters."

moonhowler

Post Number: 663
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 3:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Howdy. Just stopping in to absorb some of the warm vibes which emanate from here. It's a scary world out there and I need to feel safe for a while.

I would like a nice, big juicy steak, but think I'd better go with some roasted chicken with yellow rice and green peas. Need some country gravy on that yellow rice, of course. No dessert today, just some good conversation and few laughs.

Hugs to everybody.

kathy decker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 434
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well, I have a few pictures to put up here on the wall.
Now Sal, I know the reproductions are poor in quality, but I just haven't seemed to figure out how to get that camera to take the pictures the way I want.

The actual artwork is deeper in color and the details are finer, but this will give you an idea.

http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/billnkatdecker/

(Puts Van Morrison's Hymns to the Silence on the Juke)

AAhhh...how about a cup of that orange cappuccino, and a big sugar cookie. mmmm...so cold out, but the snow looks beautiful and peaceful.

Mama Shine
Username: mama_shine

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Kathy,

Your art is stunning, just what I love. The fairies are so loveable and sexy and they seem to have secrets and ooooooo, I love 'em.

Don't want anything right now Sal, want to go back and study Kathy's work.

Thank you Kathy!!!
Dancing is silent poetry...
--Simonides (556-468 BC)

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 11388
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

kathy, they're *BEAUTIFUL*! I love your faeries and flowers, especially...and in colored pencils, which are not the easiest medium, either--! You're inspiring me--I need to get some stuff finished so that Sal will have something new to look at

You mentioned wanting the photos to look more like the artwork--do you have an image editing program on your computer? The Skeptic has Photoshop, so I use that, but there are other less expensive ones too. If you play around with the image's color balance, contrast, and lightness/darkness, you might be able to get a lot closer to the original.

The last pics I put up here needed more color balancing work done on them and one of these days I'm going to open them back up and mess with them longer. There are books on doing it right, if you want to really get into it, but just sitting down and playing with the software (on a COPY of the image, not the original file!) will very quickly show you what your basic options are.

Also, I've heard that some photo posting places online have image adjustment tools for free use. And a lot of computers come with Photoshop Lite (or whatever they're calling the free, teaser version now) installed, so check--you might have all the features that you need already, without buying anything

kathy decker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 435
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thanks.I did some of the basic adjusting and it helped a little, but it still is disappointing. Time and practice, I guess.

I am in a pretty good mood. My sis just forwarded a letter from the mayor of my hometown , a letter to the editor of the local paper about my dad.

Dear Editor;

Our community recently lost Roy Kane, a quiet,unassuming man,who in my opinion was a real hero. Tested in battle during World War II, he returned to his village, took a job at the Press,and married his sweetheart, Dorothy Fanning. Together they raised three daughters and remained in our village for almost sixty years.
Roy joined Storm King Engine Company and was employed by the village Police Department.When I was first elected mayor, I went to the scene of a fatal fire at the former Storm King Arms on Bayview Avenue, where Floranne and I enjoyed our wedding reception. A place where many enjoyed happy times.
Roy was on duty as a police officer that night and responded first to the fire scene. Once he learned there were children trapped inside, his fire training kicked in. Somehow, he located a ladder and tried valiently to reach the children .Roy was driven back by the extreme heat, smoke, and flames, but kept trying until his brother firemen forced him to stop. As then Chief Bob Brophy tol me, Roy did all he could to save the children.
We will all miss Roy Kane, the quiet hero who lived among us.

Dad always was, and will always be, my hero.

kathy decker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 437
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hey, where is everyone? It's Friday! Buddie?....

Still freezing outside, I think a bowl of the pasta fagioli will be great, crusty bread and olive oil to dunk..and a big glass of wine.

Let's have a beach party tonight. We can put some summer tunes on the juke, drink umbrella drinks and dance all night. That is bound to take a little of the chill off.

(Skips over to the juke and puts a little Beach Boys on)

Do you want to dance under the moonlight
Hold me baby all through the night
Oh baby
Do you want to dance?
Do you, do you, do you
Do you want to dance

susi t learn

Post Number: 5506
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i love all those old surfer songs...being an old surfer myself. jan & dean, beach boys...

and i STILL love my hawaiian shirts. :-)

i'll bring the brownies.

kathy decker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 440
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Are they those "special Brownies" ???

I am downloading the little drink umbrellas...

Let's ALL wear Hawaiian stuff-i call the coconut brassiere 9love that word-cojures up memories of those old 50's style boulder holders)

(plays bryan Hyland Sealed with a Kiss)

The epitome of old summer songs

Though we gotta say goodbye for the summer
Darling i promise you this
I'll send you all my love every day in a letter
Sealed with a kiss.

susi t learn

Post Number: 5507
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

yeah, they're 'very' special.

let's go surfin' now,
everybody's learnin' how
c'mon and go surfin' with me...

my suit of the 60's was a coral colored crocheted bikini. of course now...it's a t-shirt and sweat shorts. lol

buddie

Post Number: 3811
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

OK dumps the sand .. Lets Twist..

The 60's had the best love songs..
Hangs disco ball that twinkles...

I loove when kathy brings her special
Special brownies :-)

It's been Freezen cold the whole month
of February but tonight we're Heaten'up
Folks.. Folks..folks thats a funny word
..Ahemm what was I say'en
"I know I did not come here
to be comfortable but to grow"..

Qua da di

buddie

Post Number: 3812
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

DO YOU WANT TO PARTY !!!

Qua da di

dirkwright
Username: dirkwright

Post Number: 994
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sure. I've got my Speedo on, let's play beach volley ball!
What, me worry?

susi t learn

Post Number: 5513
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

speedo???!!! ewww....i don't care HOW well built a man is...speedos should be illegal! LOL

besides, this is the 60's...find a pair of hibiscus print surfer shorts.

buddie

Post Number: 3814
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sal are speedos aloud ..
Okay dirk serves
All I can think of is
'Beach Blanket Bingo'
from Trivial Pursuit..

Party on !!!

Qua da di

dirkwright
Username: dirkwright

Post Number: 997
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I just wanted to get a rise out y'all. I just wear it for laps, which I haven't actually done in years but I'm about to get back into it soon. I don't think I look very good in it anyway. I need to loose another 10 lbs at least. I don't have any hibiscus shorts, but I have flower shirts...
What, me worry?

Southern Cross
Username: jolinda

Post Number: 2449
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ever notice how much the Europeans like their Speedos? They don't care what they look like, either.

moonhowler

Post Number: 667
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 4:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Neither do the European women. Bikinis on 250 lb ladies is definitely not a turn-on - except maybe in Turkey!

I had a nice leopard-skin print one-piece suit (too shy for a bikini), but never did attempt surfing because I'm afeared of SHARKS in the water. Gives me the shivers!

susi t learn

Post Number: 5520
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

moon

today i don't venture beyond my ankles, but when i was a kid, we used to surf at a place off jupiter, florida, called 'the shark pit'. when you're a kid, you just don't think about things like that.

Mark
Username: mark

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

...Worked all summer at a portrait gallery right on the boardwalk - S. Jersey Shore - cool gig:
lay on the fine sand beach during the day and do pastel/charcoal portraits 6 - 11 p.m. in the evening. Lifeguards and helicopters patrolled the deeper waters of the Atlantic and blew their whistles sending everybody back in occasionally. Maybe they saw a fin out there...Ironically, Jaws / the Movie was playing in the theater all summer.
bumbumbumbumbumbumpahbump...
There were plenty of obese French-speaking tourists around, from Montreal, who wore those minimum-coverage swimsuits.
Shamu!
I always figured any sharks would go after them first. Felt safe - but still...
Ever step on a Horseshoe crab?
Make ya jump, those serrated spines on their dinner-plate-sized backs. Related to scorpions.
Prehistoric.
The only surfing was body surfing, catching a wave and riding it 50 yards into shore, and then having to empty the sand out of your shorts.

Dirk wears a speedo for "laps"?
-- what, lap dances?
j/k
Speaking of prehistoric, in high school a friend - who made a pile of money getting odds on the 1st Liston/Clay fight - went down to Florida to surf. He won a Hobie surfboard (white with a blue stripe) in a movie theater lottery, and said the locals almost killed him when they found out he was from Michigan (no surf).
Then he started a garage band with me and 2 other guys - The Surftones - played Wipeout, Little Deuce Coupe...the girl next door was an early groupee wannabe. "They're better than the Beatles", she said.
No we weren't. Generally we sucked, but there were times we we found the zone and stayed there in it.
This guy I'm talking about tried to get the high school to show the movie "Endless Summer" but failed to get official approval.
Now, I read about skateboards in '65 in Surfer Magazine, and built one - crude, no turning capability on steep hills...Kamakaze.
Quazimoto. Hang ten, baggies, ho-dads, shootin' the curl, wahinis, woodies and knobbies.

susi t learn

Post Number: 5526
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

and we all revered king kahanamaku.

Mark
Username: mark

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

my suit of the 60's was a coral colored crocheted bikini. of course now...it's a t-shirt and sweat shorts. lol

Like, "I'm older and I have more insurance"
?