Archive through December 29, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Psychology, Sociology & the Mind » Sourdough Sal’s Insomniacs paranoia café » Archive through December 29, 2006 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

TheLabRat
Username: thelabrat

Post Number: 871
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

"I'm so hard to handle. I'm selfish, and I'm sad."

(from Buddie's new favorite song, and one of my oldest faves!)

I would like, please, to order some blackeyed-peas and cornbread, with some of those sliced tomatoes, and some cottage cheese. And some chammomile tea.

Yes, I, too, was feeling sorry for myself cause I am now on a deadline to get the last "stuff" done, as the furniture movers are coming Monday. And I am not feeling well at all....been running fever again......I am sure it is just the stress knocking me back a step or two.

But then, I read about what you, kd, and you, MS, are still going through......and I realize it's time to count blessings again.

MMMMMM, Josh Groban!!!! Makes me get all teary!
"In the end, only kindness matters."

buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 2924
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

L... you found Sals..:-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
Does HAPPY DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Qua da di

TheLabRat

Post Number: 876
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well, I think I have been here once, or twice, before, but it's not on my "usual route".

But I was in the neighborhood, and was in need of some comfort food, as well.....so.....

I would join you in the happy dance, buddie, but the old bones are screaming.

Sal, today, I am in need of a cup of.....something with some serious caffiene....to get me going.

Patricia Davis
Username: patricia

Post Number: 11066
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

FINALLY got my boxes for the Back East contingent mailed off yesterday--!!! Yay! What a feeling of blessed relief that always engenders

Of course, this time it was tempered slightly by The Skeptic's sudden memory of the fact that he's invited a dozen people over for *tomorrow* (for a book club meeting) and my house hasn't been cleaned since the buying/packing/shipping frenzy began

Oh well.....[sigh] Sal, I think I need some kind of a pick-me-up too--how about a double shot of espresso in a big glass of steamed milk and a slice of that double chocolate cake? THAT should be enough caffeine to get me off my *ss and wrestling with the sweeper for a couple of hours

LabRat, just keep reminding yourself that if you manage to pull off this move properly, you can stay put for the duration. That's all that got me though the move here.
"When power depends upon lies, then truth is made a fugitive" - me, 2006

TheLabRat

Post Number: 882
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well, Sal, I need some medicine that you probably don't offer here.

Three days away from being out of this mobile home......and now (at 9 pm central tonight), I have a water leak from the hot water heater. I am posting to a mobile home repair forum right now, and a person responded and is trying to rustle me up some advice.........

buddie

Post Number: 2935
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 3:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Will a ((hug)) do L. That really sucks
Sal I'll have a hot white chocolate with
sprinkles..I'm ready for bed ..been to a
house party and well it's way past my
bedtime but it was FUN lots of acoustic
guitar playing and singing ...maybe I'll
curl up by the fire
Qua da di

Hale
Username: hale

Post Number: 534
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

As i read through this thread (never been here before), something springs to my mind.

I have a young chocolate labrador retriever. I can't think of ANYTHING as calming as that mellow fellow. Really. Something about his presence is extremely calming. Maybe I am a lab kind of person. However, this is our second, and I can testify to the calming energy of these creatures.

And if you can't grab a lab, then have a nice hot cocoa on me. Well maybe not ON me.....walks away mumbling, trying to pull foot out of mouth...

::sigh::

Okay, just thought I'd pass that on for anyone at that point in their life where they are ready for another pet. Our lab likes to be inside, but goes outside to sleep since it seems too warm for him. I guess it has something to do with being bred up in Labrador....funny how that works. But our dog is as close to being like a big bear as you can get (and he does not bite or even snarl).

Oh, and Buddie, nothing better than curling up next to a REAL fire. Really, not much better to get you close to the elements. Soothe the body, soothe the soul.

Later taters.
"No Guru, no method, no teacher, Just you and I and nature"- Van Morrison

Mama Shine
Username: mama_shine

Post Number: 762
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hale,

Welcome. We have stuffies in here (stuffed animals) Buddie has two bears, I have a stuffed gargoyle name Grayfuzz--don't know all the others.

Labs are good dogs--Hale get you a lab dog stuffie when you need to come in in need of comfort.

Poor lab Rat, I feel sorry for your troubles--you got the right to sing the blues.

I just want apple cider hot and a box of Cheeze-its.
Like a bolt out of the blue,
Fate steps in and sees you through.....

buddie

Post Number: 2949
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

:-) Hale,Mamas..
Sal wants a personal glass blow souvenir.
Labs do love the outdoors.
We always had one in my family..black
golden then came Tippy..a little Shepherd
something or other..the temperament of a
german shepherd but smaller.. Whoa :-)

My eyelids are getting heavy by the fire..
Playes "River" one more time
Qua da di

TheLabRat

Post Number: 884
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hale, I love Labs, as well! I might consider that, if and when I decide to get another dog. I am still not quite over losing my little Rocky Dog on Nov. 5th. And the 6 cats are wonderful family!

But I did have a black Lab when my son was small. Her name was Sugar....and she WAS!!! They are really sweet dogs, all the ones I have encountered!

Oh, and thanks for the hot cocoa! I will do my best not to spill it on you....or on myself!

Mamas.....thanks for commiserating! I am feeling much better about the latest crisis. Seems, once again, DESPITE ALL THE HUMAN INTERFERENCE IN MY LIFE, God has watched over me and my pets yet again.

I was questioning WHY this latest crisis had to happen NOW, when I am only days away from being outa this mobile home.

Now that I have been able to investigate the situation fully and handled the situation, I now see that if I had NOT discovered it before I moved out....it could have been a much bigger catastrophe!

It was a leaking hot water heater......and the floor under it is caving in. Had I not discovered it now, then it would have continued to leak after I was out of the MH....and would have finally fallen through the floor, ripped open the gas lines, and.....BOOM!

THANK YOU, GOD! Yet another lesson to teach me that he DOES protect and guide me.....even through all the MC and other human nastiness in my life.

And....he always has.

So, I'll take that hot cocoa, and sit with you all by the fire for a bit.

And I have brought this Lop-Eared Cowboy Bunnie stuffie to add to the stuffie menagerie! His name is Tex Ritter!

Hale
Username: hale

Post Number: 536
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Lab,

I was just writing to someone about mobile homes. You know, they build the floors with this press board, and when the water gets into it, they soak it up and lose all strength! I wish they at least used something a little more stronger. You are lucky, so there is THAT. Coulda been much worse.

Hot cider and chezze-its.....Mama, I am gonna have to try that combo myself soon, and then we can COMMUNE.

I'd make something cosmic, Buddie, but no one would be able to see it. Maybe something more down to earth would be better. Maybe earth encased in glass, but like an earth we'd imagine if we but could. Too bad no pics here, otherwise I'd post one up for the sake of it.

Be good, all of you.
"No Guru, no method, no teacher, Just you and I and nature"- Van Morrison

buddie

Post Number: 2952
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hale we have the biggest art wall at Sal's
Please post it..check out Pat,Lab,Wax,kathy
and Mark I think thats it..some of Shiela's
stuff is too funny..mostly back in the
archives I'm afraid..but if you post I'll
put it up then you can see all the other
art .. take care everyone just watched
a Charlie Brown Christmas..Sweet !!
L glad it worked out in the end but a
hinderance just the same..

Tex Ritter Awwww :-)
Qua da di

TheLabRat

Post Number: 887
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hale, you are so correct....the floors are just like sponges, and they have been previously damaged from a roof leak, sooo.....needless to say, I am grateful as all get-out to be getting out!

Yes, buddie, it was a hitch, but....it's all good, and I am glad (now that it's over) that I discovered it before I was moved out! Everything is a lesson!

Yeah, Tex is a cutie! He looks just like the drawings of The Velveteen Rabbit, except he has a cowboy hat and a bandana around his neck!

OH, and A Charlie Brown Christmas.....gosh, that is one of my favorite holiday programs, and that brings back SUCH good memories from my childhood! (Well...I was 12 when it came out!)

Cheez-its! YUM! I could eat a whole box......along with a bag of Goldfish!

Nothing for me right now, Sal. I've had over my caffeine quota, so.....well....maybe...on second thought, a hot cocoa and a slice of chocolate cheesecake...to go! WHEEEE!!!

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 11077
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hale, welcome to Sal's, the best diner on the internet If you can take pics of your glass creations and get them onto your computer, then upload them to a free photo place online (I use ImageShack myself) THEN you can post the link to them here and we'll all be able to see them.

LabRat, that's the great thing about virtual caffeine--you can have it right up to bedtime and not worry about being insomniac as a result! And those wonderful virtual calories just evaporate, instead of heading straight for our, er...derrieres

moonhowler
Username: moonhowler923

Post Number: 611
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 3:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Shucks, I just wrote a longie of a note here and mush have hit a wrong key or something because I lost it all. Gonna try again.

Welcome Hale. Glad you found Sal's. It's nice to come here to get away from all the stress of the "real world" and hang out with good folks. We talk about our problem in the real world and get comfort. I love dogs. We had a black Lab who grew up with our son. He was the best dog I ever had, and it broke all of us up when he died of heart failure at age 18 1/2. We still miss him, though we've had two older dogs, who were "throw-aways" and we took them in. Funny, the both of them are/were black also. Now have a black Belgian shepherd, and although he is very gentle he is not as sweet-natured as our Lab.

TLR - glad you will be moving into your new digs soon. You made it! Good for you. We're all with you, you know.

I have a friend who has the opposite problem. She had to leave a nice sturdy, comfortable house because her ex-husband was always threatening to throw her out because she got sick and was unable to bring in a paycheck. She was afraid she was going to end up as a baglady under I-95. (I would never have allowed that to happen!) She now lives permanently in a mobile home on her own lot and nobody can throw her out, unless she can't pay taxes on the place. She is now on permanent disability - she told the ex- she was really sick - and is just thankful for a roof over her head. Now we have to keep the hurricanes, windstorms and floods away from her place!

A week and a half after I first saw the peacock in our neighbors yard, my husband woke me very early one morning and made me go outside to "see something" - the peacock. When I told him I had seen one that I told him about he told me I must be hallucinating! So, he has to wake me up out of a very sound sleep (which I do not often achieve) to show me the peacock. Grrr. Then, two days ago, on a drizzly, overcast gray day I was driving one street over from our block, and there is Mr. Peacock again, strutting down the sidewalk pecking bugs out of yards as he went. He must belong to someone around here, and I hope no one hurts him, or calls the county to come take him away.

I'll have some eggnog, Sal. 'Tis the season and all that stuff. Happy days to everybody at this time of year. (((hugs))) to all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~ No good deed goes unpunished. ~~

TheLabRat

Post Number: 891
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 7:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi everybody!

Just stopping by for a quick cappuccino and some red beans and rice, with some sliced tomato and avacado on the side! Thanks, Sal!

AHEM!

I AM MOVED INTO MY NEW HOUSE!!!!

KITTIES, AND ALL!!! (Of course, they are hiding under the bed and cedar chest.....but that will pass!! I'm keeping them sequestered in the "Cat Room" and my bedroom, and will slowly introduce them to the rest of the house in a few days.)

I will be sleeping there for the first time tonight!! I still have some odds and ends to carry over from the MH, and then I am going to rest until after Christmas!

Then, I will start the process of getting the MH cleaned up.......

Well, that's my report for now. I am frickin' TIRED, but so, so relieved! It's only taken me nearly 2 MONTHS!!

Oh, and Sal, I'll have one more cappuccino to go! And take care of Tex Ritter for me!!!

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 11084
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

You DID it!!! Congratulations! May you live long and prosper there And may the kitties adjust quickly--good idea to keep them in one room and let them get used to it first. Kitties do NOT like changes!

Next round of hot drinks is on me, in honor of LabRat's new digs I'll have a nice tall hot chocolate with lots of whipped cream, Sal. And maybe some Scottish shortbread to dunk in it....*Yum*

buddie

Post Number: 2975
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 5:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Grabs Tex and does a quick round dance :-)
Thats the right idea L rest up for awhile.
I'm so relieved for you and the kitties
will come around..once they are settled
they will love exploring their new home..
Toasted western and cold milk to go Sal
Qua da di

TheLabRat

Post Number: 892
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Just another quick hello!

Thank you both, Patricia and buddie!!!

You would NOT believe!!!!!

My kitties are settling in SO WELL!

They demanded to be let out of the sequestered area last night!!! So....I let them come out and explore the house.

After slinking around for a while, and a little bit of howling on the part of 3 of them, they are now acting almost like they have lived there for weeks!

I think they were just relieved to realize that they were not being given to some new owner!!! BOY, were they lovey-dovey last night!!!

Gonna hafta cat-proof all the cupboards and cabinets, though! They LOVE to open them and climb in and knock stuff over!!!

All my electrical work is DONE as of today. Cable (and internet) will be transferred this Friday. I will be moving my computer equipment either tomorrow or the next day. (I decided I wanted to do that myself!)

Alrighty.....hug Tex again, and have another dance with him for me!

Sal, may I have one large cappuccino to go?

buddie

Post Number: 2986
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

YeeHaw..Kitties would not do that
if the Vibes weren't good no matter
what.They know your devoted and this
is home to you too..gives Tex a huge
hug and flings him in the air then
sits him gently with gargoyle the
bears and all the rest :-)
Qua da di

Mama Shine

Post Number: 808
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Lab Rat,

You did a good job, you must be proud, I don't know if I could have done it. to you and Tex. Wonder what Tex and the bears and my Grayfuzz gargolye talk about when we're gone?

Has Buddie left--goes and hugs her bears and kisses Grayfuzz .

Later ya'll

moonhowler

Post Number: 612
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 2:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Glad you're all moved in and the kitties are making themselves at home. HOME. What a wonderful word. Know you must be exhausted, so a nice rest is the best tonic you can possibly have. Enjoy, and don't feel guilty for resting. You deserve it!

Here's a toast to you and your new home, and to all of us for a happy holiday season, no matter how we celebrate, and for a healthy, prosperous, HAPPY new year.

Blessings to everyone. - from one who howls at the moon with her dog!

(Message edited by moonhowler923 on December 21, 2006)

buddie

Post Number: 3009
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 6:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Joins Moonhowler in a toast to all us
Odd Balls whom I've become so attached
to.. lets put on some tunes moonhowler.
Sal is it too early for some rum punch
Ah Wooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!
Qua da di

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 11108
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Nah, it's NEVER too early for spiked punch--Ooh! look over there!!! [pours a bottle of cheap vodka into the punch bowl on the end of the lunch counter]

I think we all deserve a toast (or three) and a few minutes to catch our breath and warm our toes in front of the fireplace....I think Sal's may be the only diner in the world with a real fireplace--! Cool, huh?

Mama Shine

Post Number: 832
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Help me folks I got an oak log--special for today.

HAPPY WINTER SOLSTICE

Now put it in the fire. Mama's wet, got on raincoat and boots, raining on the bayou, lots more in store for us.

Can't stay, just wanted to put the log on. Be back later.

Waves to Pat, Buddie and Moonhowler

buddie

Post Number: 3036
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Gets stuffies ready for Mamas..fire is
a cracken'..
I'm waiting with Greyfluff
I forget his name..and the bears..
It's ok I have the feelen' I'll be here over
the holidays..Hey I'm off tomorrow..
Sal another glass of Punch thanks :-)
Qua da di

kathy decker
Advanced Member
Username: kat

Post Number: 351
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

oh, i would love a glass of punch.
i brought cookies!
so tired rom all the running-after the holidays i might settle in for a long winter's nap!
travelin saturday, but home for christmas, and hopefully, more time to visit here.
mmmm fire is nice, so is the punch.
thanks sal.
Happy Holidays everyone, i love u all
Humans believe they are devils pretending to be angels when, in fact, the reverse is true.

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 11111
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Cookies!!! Hot-burning, crackling oak log!!! Looks like a good night at Sal's kathy, naps are a hallowed tradition at Sal's--that's what that big fuzzy blanket is for over in the stuffies corner It's a magical sound-dampening blanket that completely blocks out the sound of the juke box, even when it's really cranked up. Wish I had one like it for when The Skeptic gets to snoring

buddie

Post Number: 3093
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Oh!! Sal lets wait for Pat..
there are earthquakes going on
in her area :-(
Brings in more oak logs and has
a glass of Pinot Grigio waiting
Qua da di

Mama Shine

Post Number: 865
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Pops in for a second to tell Buddie what Pumpkin just did.

I'm sitting here at the computer doing nothing and hear a sound , it's daylight-no way...all of a sudden Pumpkin comes crawling out the back of the desk all sleepy faced. He scared the ever lovin' crap out of me. He has never slept back there. Don't know why he has taken to hiding in small unusual spots.

Don't want to order, I'll be back later....

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 11124
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm glad that Sal's in in no-Earthquake country, because we had yet *another* one this AM in the same place on the Hayward fault--a 3.5 this time. That makes three of them over 3.0 (plus a 2.2) in a very short time, which is kind of unusual. The epicenter is just a couple of miles from where I'm sitting and each quake has been one of the abrupt "BANG!/crockery-rattlers" variety (what SC calls "big truck" ones), with this latest one having a slightly longer duration. Personally, I much prefer the "rollers" where your house gently lifts and falls with each wave that passes through the ground where you are. They have no sound and frighten me much less.

I need a *drink* Sal! How about a nice Stoli on the rocks with a big wedge of lime. For me, that's a pretty major drink--strictlly medicinal in nature, of course! I brought my gifts along to wrap in front of the fireplace and I have a long tradition of having a drink as I do that, so I have a back-up justification in case the quake one isn't acceptable

Mama, we have a hide-y cat too--Nimitz, the giant gray fluffball. He can simply vanish into our cellar. I've spent ages blocking every single hide-y-hole I can find, but he seems to locate new ones every time. I was scooping out the litter boxes late one night before bedtime and he took a couple of years off my life by seeming to materialize out of the shadows a foot away!

buddie

Post Number: 3095
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ok Sal I'll have the Pinot Grigio
and help Pat wrap..I love wrapping :-)
Qua da di

kathy decker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 354
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Better stock more pinot, sal, I feel like having a glass myself. i have one more gift to wrap and can relax.
buddie, guess what? i was sitting in the den a few nights ago and received an early christmas present. i looked down the hallway, and there sat my old friend buddy the cat, who passed over last year! he only stayed for an instant, but it is the first time since he passed that i have seen him when i was wide awake!
Cheers! Have yourselves a merry little.....
Humans believe they are devils pretending to be angels when, in fact, the reverse is true.

buddie

Post Number: 3111
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

OMG!! kathy how fantastic a gift,I recall
how upset his passing was for you..he's
probably on to bigger things now and popped
in for on last good bye to his most beloved
friend.. how wonderful is that :-)
Qua da di

kathy decker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 358
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 7:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hey everybody! i can't eat another bite, but i would love a small glass of coke with a lot of ice.
I had a great Christmas. All I wanted was my bathroom finished, and my refrigerator and range hooked up, and I got that, so we had our first home-cooked meal in the house today!
Bill got me a starter oil painting set, since I lost all my art supplies in the flood. It has everything i need to start with, and an amazing assortment of brushes!
I might be able to squeeze in a few of those cookies, sal, and maybe a chocolate or two. It is a holiday after all, and calories don't count here at sal's.
Now, to settle in dressed in my robe and slippers, and wait for the snow to fall.
Of course it will snow here, anything you need or want can be found at sal's.
mmmm.....

Thomas
Username: thomas_j_veil

Post Number: 6038
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Kathy Decker said:

quote:

I had a great Christmas. All I wanted was my bathroom finished, and my refrigerator and range hooked up, and I got that, so we had our first home-cooked meal in the house today!

That's great news; congratulations, Kathy! What a long road you've had.
“What I perceive, I also create.”

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 11134
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Great news, kathy! I'm like you--until there's a "hearth" of some kind, it's not "home"--even if it's a new-fangled electric or gas range. And I'm so glad that you got art supplies!!! I used to think I was the only idiot who hauled tons of boxes of arts and crafts supplies around with me on multiple moves...but then a woman I knew (who'd been even poorer than I was) told me she'd done the same thing.

She said that it was like her "dragon treasure"--something to be hoarded even if it wasn't often used. She just needed it to be there. The thought of all those paints, clays, fabric, rhinestones, feathers, beads, etc., etc. was just comforting to her. A disaster like a flood would be so devastating to "treasure" like that.

Sal, I want one of your mouth-watering breakfast scrambles--eggs, chicken-apple sausage, onions and spinach--and a huge latte, with a big glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice on the side. And thick-sliced whole wheat toast

And isn't it nice the way the weather here at Sal's is always perfect--today it's snowing big fat flakes and the front windows are all steamed up, so that the neon "OPEN" sign is reflecting in them. And I think L. A. B. sneaked in last night, because there are old-fashioned Xmas light strings up that I don't recall seeing here yesterday....?!

moonhowler

Post Number: 615
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 3:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Glad you got your art supplies, Kathy. I hope everyone got at least some little something they wanted or prayed for. And hope everyone had a nice holiday.

Best wishes for the New Year - if we can make it through the upcoming week OK.

Nothing for me today, Sal. Just stopped in for some company. Sal, was Santa good to you? Hope so. You do us all so many nice things, you deserve the best !!!

kathy decker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 361
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hey Sal! How about some of that vegetable stew, and a side of cornbread, and a big glass of milk? Thanks.
Santa was certainly good to me, and I am glad to hear you got all of that new silicone bakeware you wanted to try, Sal. The red color is especially nice this time of year!I am loving your new apron, too!
I have a little something for you. Yes, that's right, it is a Swarovski crystal star, just so you always remember you are a bright light for all of us here at Sal's.

MMm...that stew is good. Listen, I got a digital camera also for Christmas, so soon I hope to post some of my artwork here at Sal's.
That is, if there is any room left on the walls!

kathy decker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 362
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

(flops down on the floor and grabs a stuffie) aarrgghh
I just tried to figure out the camera, and the software is broken in the package, so back it goes to Circuit City!
I'll get another one, but I am so hopelessly technologically incompetent-I hope I can get everything working so I can post my pictures and artwork.
(brightens) hey, I know-lets have a new Years eve party here at Sal's!
Where has John been lately? Have I missed something?

kathy decker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 363
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Oh, i see he is not here anymore. Anybody know what happened?

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 11139
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

That's the wonderful thing about virtual walls--they're like Dr. Who's tardis walls and just go on and on and on and-- [slaps self]
ALWAYS room for more creative stuff

I got Sal a spiffy new copy of "The Joy of Cooking"--her old copy is so grease/batter-spattered that it's a wonder she can read it! Now if I could just figure out where to get her a cute young sous chef to help out back there....!

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 11140
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sadly, he had one of his sudden periodic descents into paranoia and it happened to be directed at me Tried to fix it, but no luck The place just isn't the same without him....

Sorry about the software SNAFU, kathy--techy stuff like that drives me right up the wall. Wish I could help more than just to offer another stuffie and more of the blankie in the corner, but I'm tech-impaired myself

kathy decker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 367
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that about John.
I'm sorry for whatever he put you through, too. Sometimes our poor minds are so messed up we don't know who we can trust.

Bill returned my camera and brought me back another one today. Hope I can figure it out-I am so insecure about this stuff.

Hey, Sal-the Joy of Cooking, Huh?
I bet there will be some tasty specials coming up soon. Just the thing to help us through these long winter months.

We actually got a little snow here yesterday. Just enough to enjoy watching through the window as I sat by the fireplace....
Maybe we can make what we envision here at Sal's a reality in our "real" lives.....

I'm willing to give it a try.

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 11148
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'd like to think that, kathy. But I'll be satisfied if Sal's just continues to be a "place" to escape to where the company is laid back and the virtual food puts no calories on the parts of me that least need them

Re: the camera. I'm a non-tech savvy person too, but I've managed to get a couple of digital cameras figured out enough to take good pictures with them. If you run into a snag and I'm clueless (not uncommon), there may be an online forum of photographers who would help you out. That's the only way I ever learned the computer art programs that I use--by asking embarassingly newbie questions of pros at a message board

You might try a search for digital photography message boards/forums if you get really stuck. My experience has been that people are amazingly helpful and kind to newcomers to their field...maybe not all of 'em, but certainly ones who bother to hang around the tech forums seem to be.

And if you can't find one, I'll ask The Skeptic if he can figure it out. And if he can't, I just reconnected with a nice guy who's a really good photographer at a party on Xmas Day. He'd help. Just don't give up!

kathy decker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 368
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thanks Patricia . I am sure it will be ridiculously simple, but it is a geat idea to look for message boards.
I am lucky that my eldest daughter is a professional photographer, I just hate the way she lords it over me when I think I can't do something technical.

I'll give it a try tomorrow, when I am alone and can concentrate.

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 11152
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Oh, lucky you! An in-family tech support person! My advice is to grit your teeth, suck up the "more tech-savvy-than-thou" stuff she'll dish out and count your blessings *LOL* That's what I do when I'm forced to ask The Skeptic for tech help

And I also have this weird "fear-of-learning-new-tech-stuff" that is almost paralyzing. I'm now *3 versions* behind in Poser due to that. I have the upgrades, instruction books and manuals, but I'm completely boggled by it. Everything I've tried to do has failed to work and now I'm *STUCK*. A friend is going to tutor me in January, though, so there's hope

Sal, I need a humongous bowl of tomato soup (made with milk), those little oyster crackers for in it and a double latte--got a construction project to tackle and I'm rusty as heck. Comfort food is indicated, methinks!

sharLr
Advanced Member
Username: sharlr

Post Number: 351
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Kathy, I have an online photo album with www.flickr.com . As well as being able to store your photos there people can comment on them and you can email back and forth within the Flickr system, which might come in handy if looking for advice with your camera.
"Be excellent to each other...." Bill 'n' Ted

buddie

Post Number: 3181
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

New Years Partie..I'll be dropping in :-)

HEY YOU..P.Floyde

Hey you,
Out their in the cold
Getting lonely,getting old
Can you feel me ?

Hey you,
Standing in the aisle
With itchy feet and fading smile
Can you feel me?

Hey you
Don't help them to bury the light
Don't give in without a fight

Hey You,
Out there on your own,
Sitting naked by the phone,
Would you touch me?

Hey you,
With your ear against the wall
Waiting for someone to call out,
Would you touch me?

Hey you ,
Would you help me to carry the stone?
Open your heart I'm Coming Home.
Qua da di

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 11163
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

You guys will have to party without me--we're *always* home on New Year's Eve, but this year we've decided to travel down to San Jose to a friend's party. I'll be thinking of Sal's with longing, I'm sure--I have social anxiety disorder that makes it very difficult for me to "real world party down". But I want to try to do this.