Archive through July 03, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Psychology, Sociology & the Mind » Sourdough Sal’s Insomniacs paranoia café » Archive through July 03, 2006 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patricia Davis
Username: patricia

Post Number: 10264
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ooooh--Sal, please also give me a very long-handled fork, so that I can sneak stuff off kathy's plate

I've been distracted, too--joined the message board at a place that OSR tried (unsuccessfully) to get me to join years ago and now find myself in yet *another* community filled with interesting people with lots to talk about So my online time is split so many ways that I end up out of touch and missing out on whole threads. I need to clone myself, I think

(Message edited by patricia on June 26, 2006)
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935

Wax Tadpole
Username: waxtadpole

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 8:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I don't remember what the ad was for exactly, as it was from the late eighties or thereabouts, but what stuck with me was the fat San-Francisco-baker stand-in who kept going on about "THAU-A-DOE"[sourdough]. It bothered me the way he said it. "THAU-A-DOE"...

Whenever I see this thread I think "THAU-A-DOE"...Help me...
WILL POST
FOR FOOD

kathy decker
Username: kat

Post Number: 845
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Oh, Jeez, waxie, now you've gone and done it. I am not gonna be able to get that out of my head any time soon! .

I came "home" again to UC because I just got broadband and can finally view the videos on the subscriber page. Cool stuff, that.

I've been hanging out at the CtoC message board-not posting much, just reading.Those people are tough, man.I let my meaner side out a little the other day-then I took it back. See how I am?

I watched Broken Trail on AMC last night and tonight-interesting western with a different twist.Brutally graphic, though, at least to my tenderfoot likings.

MMMM-time for a snack. How about a big plate of fried clams and french fries-and a cold beer to wash it all down?
Thanks Sal, i knew you'd come through for me.
Humans believe they are devils pretending to be angels when, in fact, the reverse is true.

buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 924
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

OMG,, sniff..sniff..

Kathy..Hugg..
I think you liked Gordon Lightfoot.
A1 ..Sweet Gwenivere

buddie

Post Number: 925
Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sniff,,
Can't Sleep

buddie

Post Number: 931
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 6:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sal something strong with Coco..
Rushes out the door throws a stuffy
at waxy!

graciesmom
Username: jmb

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Graciesmom lets Gracie into the room to play with Tandy and EVERYBODY goes nuts -- plates flying, people getting knocked down and slobbered to death! I can see the headlines now ...

Yes, Gordo's singin' always makes me ...sigh...

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 10269
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

OMG--another friendly furperson joins the mix! Look at the mess! No wonder John doesn't want to come here anymore--he used to have to do the sweeping up

Sal, I need some major caffeine, followed by lots of protein--how about a nonfat triple latte and maybe a steak and eggs breakfast with a juicy tomato sliced on the side? And a humongous glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935

moonhowler
Username: moonhowler923

Post Number: 545
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 4:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Feeling really down. Somebody cheer me up, please. Jokes? Cartoons?

I'll have double order of grits with real butter, two eggs over light, four strips of bacon, hash brown potatoes, an order of buttermilk pancakes with raspberry syrup, a giant mug of strong coffee with whole milk and a bunch of sugar. Thanks.

*after gluttoning out, goes and grabs a stuffy and heads under the blanket*

OK, some jokes? Gotta get all that non-fattening food down.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~ Misery loves company. ~~ Wanna hang out? ~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nadm
Advanced Member
Username: nadm

Post Number: 480
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

here's a story for you, moonhowler.

From the Northwest Florida Daily News comes this story of a Crestview couple who drove their car to Walmart, only to have their car break down in the parking lot.

The man told his wife to carry on with the shopping
while he fixed the car in the lot.

The wife returned later to see a small group of people near the car.

On closer inspection, she saw a pair of male legs protruding from under the chassis. Although the man was in shorts, his lack of underwear turned private parts into glaringly public ones. Unable to stand the embarrassment, she dutifully stepped forward, quickly put her hand UP his shorts, and tucked everything back into place. On regaining her feet, she looked across the hood and found herself staring at her husband who was standing idly by.

The mechanic, however, had to have three stitches in his forehead.

L. A. B.
Username: leathab

Post Number: 6669
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Grits, eggs and reall butter (yum) someone is from the "South" who knows how to fix it!! A plate-full please, after the "battery" disaster yesterday, son called and said the "photographers" were acting out against doing his painting prints properly. (He's a perfectionist.) So he took his business elsewhere. Why are businesses getting so they do "shoddy" work just to get it done fast??
Quality isn't a priority. (Rant, jump up and down)
Need my snuffy now!! (Grabs the blanket from Brighid.) Hey kiddo, it's summertime (unless you're in Australia!!)

Brighid
Username: brighid_moon

Post Number: 981
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's not summer time in Washington! LOL

*Grabs the blanket back*

Here, it rains so much that the little sun you get only makes you rust. Brrrr Cold!

Think I'll have a thick mocha latte after being subjected to the chill! Real milk please!
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--From Hamlet (I, v, 166-167)

"Watakushi wa shishi desu"
--From Harley

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6675
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

(Hands Brighid a bucket) hope you are wringing out alright??!! (Builds up the gas logs!!) There, you get warm and I'll start cooling off, iced tea Sal, lemon and extra sweet!! (Moves over by the Swamp cooler.)

buddie

Post Number: 956
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 8:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Checks on Brighid & Tandy..
makes a space in case of emergency?

Visits Lab at the Swamp Cooler ??
It does feel fresher..??
I'm thirsty Sal more ice tea ..

susi t learn
Username: etsi

Post Number: 13490
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

upon coming out of a grocery store, an off duty cop notices some people gathered around a car. he walks over to see if he can be of help.

all the windows are up and the doors are closed and behind the wheel sits a pretty young girl, staring ahead but not moving.

he inquires as to the problem and one bystander says he thinks the girl has had a heart attack or seizure. he kept yelling at her to unlock the doors, and although her eyes moved toward him, her head did not. he said someone had already called the paramedics.

short time later, the emt's arrive and break into her car to administer to her. they couldn't find anything wrong with her. she was asked why she didn't respond.

she answered that she couldn't move because she had been shot in the head and was afraid if she moved she'd bleed to death or cause further injury.

the cop asked why she thought she'd been shot and she replied that she heard a loud 'pop' and felt something hit the back of her head and when she reached behind to feel it, she felt something moist, deducing she was bleeding.

upon further inspection, the examining emt burst out laughing.

it took him several minutes to compose himself to explain what he had found.

it seems, on this hot, summer day, a package of bisquits had exploded in the heat. what the unsuspecting girl felt was dough.

the cop swears this is true.

and yes, she WAS a blonde.

nadm
Advanced Member
Username: nadm

Post Number: 482
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

hey Susi, i read that story, and the additional delicious detail is that when she felt the back of her head, she felt something *doughy* and thought her brains were hanging out of the back of her shattered skull (wouldn't that hurt???)

so she not only sat stock still for an hour or so, she kept that hand right up there, to hold in her leaking brains.

susi t learn

Post Number: 13491
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 9:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

that's right...i'd forgotten.

paramedics see it all. my ex brother in law told us some great stories.

susi t learn

Post Number: 13493
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

'women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.'

-robert a. heinlein

buddie

Post Number: 969
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

A Huh Susi..
Heinlein is or (was) a wise man or (Dog)!!

buddie

Post Number: 970
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Waves at Pat :-)
Still working on your painting of Lily ?
Waxy did a new one he should
bring it to Sal's.It's called "Skiffyland"
I'm sure you'd like it.

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 10275
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Today I took some more photos for reference to help me do the stone floor and tomorrow I'll finally get a start made on the costume--long delay due mostly to having a sick hubby home underfoot I'm losing what's left of my mind

Once the costume is pinned onto Brunhilda The Dressform, I still have to light and photograph it (from above, on a ladder), then take the photo into Photoshop and get it "onto" my virtual 3D Lily, who will be standing in the lit scene in Poser....THEN I'll be able to make a reference photo of the dress and figure to work from. Oh, and I found a 3D virtual model of a banner (like the ones that hung in castles in Merovingian times that I'll put into the scene, too. I'm worn out and I haven't even started yet!

Sal, I need some comfort food--home-made meatloaf, mashed potatoes with gravy and carrots swimming in butter, methinks...and a nice iced tea w/lemon.

I'd love to see Waxy's new picture....Waxy???

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sorry... spent last night and today worrying over/trying to figure out bluescreen errors and other comp flakiness - do-it-yourself upgrades are always an adventure.

My 'box' is behaving for now, so I'll just whistle past the ol' graveyard and hope it's just a combo of scrambled software and new hardware breaking in...

This was something I tossed together to soothe buddie's jellyfish-traumatized brow:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/RealWaxy/Skiffyland.jpg
WILL POST
FOR FOOD

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6696
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Been working on a sketch of a young "Robert Redford" anyone care?? (Grabs a coke and popcorn.)

Brighid

Post Number: 982
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 1:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

LAB: Have to let us see it when it's done, so we can put it up on the wall too!

Today I need lots and lots of chocolate and milk and other comforting goodies. Billy Joe's "Innocent Man" has been running through my head for two weeks now! *DIES*
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

--From Harley

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 2:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

[Waxy whips up some of his once-famous Toffee-bits Brownies]
WILL POST
FOR FOOD

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 2:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm a bit rusty, but in the past I've also made pound cake, carrot cake, doughnuts, chocolate chip cookies...
WILL POST
FOR FOOD

buddie

Post Number: 975
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 8:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

ME..ME..I Care Lab !! Robert Redford yes..

Hangs Skiffyland on wall and eats way too
many warm Toffee-bits Brownies..
I could "probably" do that..when you
have time would you give the recipe
and how long and at what temp.
you bake them?

Waves at Brighid ,God Pat that all sounds
complicated ..

Sorry for blabbing I'm alone in my Dept.
today and have very little to do..Boring!!

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6697
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ok, here he is. (Never realized how much like "Brad" he looked like, until sketching him.)
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/7717/robertredfordi2rg.jpg

Anyone for "The Way We Were" in the DVD player?? "Memories, like the corners of my mind, misty water-colored memories, of the way we were...."

(Grabs stuffy and blanket.)

buddie

Post Number: 978
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Lab thats very,very good!!.looks just like him..
now that you mention Brad I see a resemblance
in my minds eye..chin,jaw something..

Finally Noon.. 3 1/2 more hours

"Hug" hope they are good memories

Brighid

Post Number: 984
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

WOO! LAB! That's awesome! You're most excellent! *HUGS* How could you ever think that what you do isn't as good as others'? My Gods, you do better realism than I do!

--From Harley

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 10279
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Waxy, that's gorgeous! The effect where the light hits the water is just beautiful!

L. A. B., that's a beautiful drawing! And I think it's something about the mouth that puts me in mind of Brad Pitt. You definitely captured Redford's "look" at that age--he was positively beautiful for a man, wasn't he?!

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6702
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

(Clicks the mugs) Thank you, appreciate the feedback. He was "gorgeous" when he was in "Barefoot in the Park" (first movie I ever saw him in.) His "moles" weren't as prominent then. He didn't do too badly for a "local boy" (after "Jeremiah Johnson" he stayed in Utah.) He and Whitley aught to get together and compare "environmental" notes.

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

buddie, years ago I was cooking stuff out of a series of books from Time-Life called "The Good Cook". In one volume was a brownie recipe from, of all things, the "Joy of Cooking"! Anyway, I took that recipe for "Brownies Cockaigne"* and made some experimental changes that worked out QUITE well. Here's my variants (if you need the original recipe, I'll see if I can scan and post it):

- Substitute brown sugar for half of the granulated
- Add in a teaspoon or so of cinnamon and 1 cup of toffee bits (or 'Bits O' Brickle', if you prefer and can find it)

That's it.

I should also mention that the bits make the brownies a bit sticky, so you'd be well advised to line the pan with parchment paper and/or extra butter/shortening...

*No, not THAT kind of "Cockaigne"
WILL POST
FOR FOOD

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

[bows deeply to Patricia] I used to make lots of images of that sort when first learning Bryce... Light and water combine nicely in this app.
WILL POST
FOR FOOD

buddie

Post Number: 980
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Waxy..cockaigne?
have you been reading new words,it's
Sharon's fault! :-)

Hangs Robert on wall next to Skiffyland,
Robert does his Sundance Film Festival
from there also right?
Utha always looks so beautiful..

Just resting my arms and ears from
Clinking mugs, Flag waving and Music that
started last night :-)

(Message edited by buddie on July 01, 2006)

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6711
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Before I went to "sleep" last night, I was (saw) this image. Have tried to "reconstruct" it as best I could, they were more silvery, but this was what I saw.http://img432.imageshack.us/img432/7518/aliendream5zh.jpg
Very strange, and fascinating.

(Message edited by Leathab on July 01, 2006)

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Neat! It looks like they don't have anywhere to hide and they're saying, "Hey, maybe if we don't turn around she won't see us!"

Maybe I'll try my own take on this...

(Message edited by waxtadpole on July 01, 2006)
WILL POST
FOR FOOD

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6713
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Please do. You might be able to capture the "shiny!!" It was a "group of head tops" that I saw, and they were being "energized" by those stripes of light in the middle.

The only way to describe how I perceived it was that it was like it was "emblazoned" onto my retinae. I was groggy and I'd close my eyes, and there they were, a couple of times, and then it disappeared. But it was hard to fall asleep after "they left.

It could just have been my "rods and cones" misfiring.

(Message edited by Leathab on July 01, 2006)

buddie

Post Number: 988
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I think it looks like Garlic Cloves..
Is it Harvest time ?.Can't account for the
light except if they were being Pulled??

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/RealWaxy/LABDream.jpg

I know I'm off with a few things, but to get closer to your pic would require alot more work than I can justify putting into this. Also, I can never see exactly what you saw. We'd have to do an extended collaboration for that!
WILL POST
FOR FOOD

buddie

Post Number: 993
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thats A Keeper!! makes me LOL !!!

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6718
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

That's very close, in the dream the tops of their heads were "rounder" somehow, but it's a good rendition. Nicely done.

buddie

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Are you sure it was not like this?
You were taken even though you had
children to watch .They did not listen
and took you any way??
I can't relate to the drawing though?

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6719
Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 9:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It was just a "flash" but very detailed. Cannot tell you if I was "taken" or if it was a "memory-imprint" that I wasn't aware was stored in me? (Hope that answers your question, Buddie. There are no "answers" that fit.) One cuppa Joe, extra sugar, bit o-cream

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 12:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Inspired by a scene from "The Black Box" Communion Letter:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/RealWaxy/BlackBox.jpg

I wanted to take a crack at making "webby ropes"...
WILL POST
FOR FOOD

buddie

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thats Cool waxy..
Thank you for taking the time Lab.

Sal, ever have instructions given to you
that don't apply to everyone and you find
this out "after" you post..
I'll have a Brownie delight Sunday..
Grabs teddy and goes of to Sulk !!

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6720
Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Waxy, it's the finale "missing scene" from Kubrick's "2001-Space Odyssey." You're channeling Kubrick!!!

buddie

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Great night for Fireworks Sal?
Pulls up comfy chairs and hopes
someone drops by?
I'll have the BBQ scallops shrimp & Chips.
Pinot Grigio to sip and water thanks.

Mark
Username: mark

Post Number: 2231
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

click on this link for a massive display of fireworks
Then click your mouse repeatedly in area above for a massive display of fireworks. And turn up your speakers, folks.

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6738
Posted on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hey Mark, that was fun!! (Starts the barby for the dogs and passes out the ice cream sandwiches.)