Archive through June 17, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Psychology, Sociology & the Mind » Sourdough Sal’s Insomniacs paranoia café » Archive through June 17, 2006 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 740
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 6:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Lab how's the puzzel going?
Is there a co.name on the game..I could
check into it.I'd sooner the Rosslyn
game.

L. A. B.
Username: leathab

Post Number: 6471
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Warren Industries makes the puzzles, but they don't have a "website" per se, just various companies selling the things.

My daughter and I finished the puzzle Sunday, it was great, then used the "blue light" to read the hidden paragraphs, one of which I did not know about. (William St. Clair, riding horseback, carrying Princess Margaret of Norway to marry Malcolm of Scotland, she rewarded him with lands and became her cupbearer. She brought the "Holy Rood" to Scotland (piece of cross or she was a Merovingian descendant or both.))

What happened to it after that, no one knows for sure, as it was captured and returned many times, which may be the reason why Rosslyn was built 400 years or so later by William's namesake, William St. Clair. That may be the "secret" of Rosslyn. Lots of fun!!

(That paragraph about bringing her to Malcolm was very hard to decipher on the puzzle, hardly readable.)

buddie

Post Number: 743
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thanks,I'll check into this ..
I'm getting a (10gig)?? harddrive
from work real soon so I'll be able to play.
Good going!! :-)
I'll remember that paragraph "when"
I finish! Must be positive :-)

buddie

Post Number: 747
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 8:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Lab in Doug H. Thread about Crop Circls
he's talking about Knights Templer
and the Music connection..IE: Rosslyn????
Would you check it out..you know music..
June 11 I think close to the bottom..
Never heard that contact before..

Patricia Davis
Username: patricia

Post Number: 10160
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I want John to come back pronto--John, are ya out there??
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6479
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Have checked it out, some "musicalogists" went up to Rosslyn, and saw that the "little carved boxes" on the ceiling, were actually ancient musical notes, and they made a song. (It's fairly boring.) But for the 1400's it was pretty racy.

Where did Waxy go too?? Hey, we need another painting Wax!!

(Message edited by Leathab on June 13, 2006)

moonhowler
Username: moonhowler923

Post Number: 528
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 5:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Pat, John^ came back, but went away again.

And, could somebody tell me what a Waxy Tadpole is? I like the postings, but does the name have a "significance"? It it's a Waxy Tadpole, does it mean it came from a Candle Toad?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~ Misery loves company. ~~ Wanna hang out? ~~

Wax Tadpole
Username: waxtadpole

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Patience, dear L.A.B, patience! I found a 'barebones' kit on a comp-equipment website that I couldn't resist so I've spent the last few days doing the usual come-on-work-dammit-why-do-I-always-torture-myself-with-upgrade-headaches routine that has become a sort of tradition for me.

Anyway, barring the manifestation of any other problems I shall now be somewhat better equipped for 'graphicing'
If you lived in this posting
You'd be home by now!!!

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

moonhowler, it means I used to be a chatroom addict! I wanted a catchy ice-breaking handle since I tended to be quite introverted back then, even with Net-anonymity, as well as one that said something about my taste for unintentional humor. Now, here's the best explanation I've found for the origin of the phrase itself:

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tadpole.asp
You'd be home by now!!!

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm not an Ozzy fan (though the uncharacteristically 'soft' "Shot In The Dark" was a fave), but this song keeps coming to mind when I read *your* handle. I used to watch lots of MTV in the 'Golden Age', and I think this one got a good bit of airplay, hence my recollection. Anyway:

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/o/ozzy+osbourne/bark+at+the+moon_20103936.html
You'd be home by now!!!

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6485
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Whew! Thanks Waxy. Was gettin worried the "fan club" had scared you away!!

Belly up to the bar, boys and girls. Free Chocolate sodas (for those who remember them) on the house.

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 10163
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I know, moonhowler. He made a very disturbing post to the Witness thread and then vanished without explaining who or what, so I emailed him, but have had no reply, which is unlike him.....hence the shout.

I remember chocolate sodas! Pour me one, woncha? And add a lemon-poppyseed muffin.

Today I'm starting on making one of the props I need for a painting--a vaguely medieval dress with a train. Got the fabrics yesterday (ouch! $$) and now I need to remove all the padding I stuck on Brunhilda, my trusty dress form, back when I was 50 lbs. heavier and last sewed. Then I'll drape and pin on the dress, photograph it and use Photoshop to put it onto Lily (who I'll pose in Poser 4).

All that before I can even begin on the painting, since I just am not capable of visualizing folds of fabric well enough to paint them--!
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935

buddie

Post Number: 754
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Waxy & buddie pull Salt & Pepper Wigs
over head and order chocolate sodas .

Looking forward to Lily.. Pat

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6487
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Pat, fabric is the most "boring" thing to sketch or paint. Leonardo spent weeks practicing painting folds, in different light. Also "flooding" (drawing black dresses, pants etc.) eats up ink and takes "sooooooo" long. (Gripe, gripe.)

Now I know why Hirschfeld and Picasso did what they did (simple lines.)

Chocolate sodas with "real" whipped cream, hand-dipped ice cream and hot fudge syrup (vanilla or chocolate,your preference) buzzed up with "carbonated water." (Old Soda Jerkess here.) Yummy.

(Message edited by Leathab on June 14, 2006)

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 10170
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I have a feeling that this painting is going to drive me to drink with all it's fabric folds. And it doesn't help that the fabrics are both shiny and one is iridescent...! [Arrrrgh!] And the lighting is very low and shadowy. Why don't I ever get ideas for simple stuff--you know, an apple on a plate on a table?!

buddie

Post Number: 760
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ah..good luck Pat.

Hot fudge chocolate syrup real whipped cream
and hand dipped ice-cream "Faints" !!!

Makes me drool almost as much as the
Half Dressed Italian Soccer Team
E-mail I got today !!

buddie

Post Number: 763
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sal,when waxy and his widdle friend
come in ,I have booth # 1 all set up..
Play theme from "Cats" on the Juke !!

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ah, a woman to my own heart! To me the absolute ultimate sin-food is a hot fudge sundae! I would add crushed pecans or walnuts and the traditional cherry, or if I'm in the mood some crushed up chocolate toffee candy (the D'aim brand candy sold at IKEA is the best I've tasted)...
You'd be home by now!!!

buddie

Post Number: 765
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

IKEA..?? I'll be checking that out..
I have a nasty sweet tooth..also salt
occasionally..
Chocolatepeanutbutter anything..
my insides are candy coated .

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6493
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

They just said on the news that "fish/omega-3's" don't help people with heart disease any better than "placebo/sugar pills." Hubby came over and said, "when they say corn syrup is healthy for you, it's time to turn off the TV." (But....who knows??"

(Message edited by Leathab on June 14, 2006)

buddie

Post Number: 768
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Just what is wrong with corn syrup?
It's a waste product I think?

I understand the take but we have way
too many people being paid to
do survay's?? as well...

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6494
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's in every "goodie" from twinkies to coke.

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 10171
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

And people don't realize it's extremely high in calories, so they eat way too much of it. We've just about gotten rid of it around this house, but it seems like most processed foods contain it, so you really have to read the blankety-blank labels

What made me aware of it was having a doctor warn me that with high blood sugar, I had to start avoiding it as much as possible. Some people blame corn syrup for the obesity epidemic.

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

High-fructose corn syrup: I was under the impression the body can't metabolize it well

Omega-3: I was under the impression it was more important in terms of metabolism, sort of an 'opposite number' to partially-hydrogenated poiso...umm, I mean oil!
You'd be home by now!!!

Brighid
Username: brighid_moon

Post Number: 955
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 2:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The body doesn't metabolize corn products at all. I tried to teach my Dad that, but he doesn't get it. I'm not sure what NA tribe it was (or possibly it was Mexicans or South Americans), but they discovered that, through studying their food, the only thing that seems to make corn digestable is when its made into flat bread or tortillas and made with lime. Something about limes reacts with the corn and makes it able to be digested. *shrugs* Corn tastes good, but what a waste of space.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--From Hamlet (I, v, 166-167)

"Watakushi wa shishi desu"
--From Harley

buddie

Post Number: 771
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 4:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Guess it's in Ice-cream & chocolate too :-(
I never eat sweets at home it's
all work related and I hate soft drinks.

Though Ive been know to by pass food
for lunch and eat dessert instead.
I have my mothers genes and never
had to worry about my weight ..
Looks at chicken legs and.. sighs..
need to get the bike out..

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

buddie, I've never seen ice creams and chocolate listing it on their labels unless they had some sort of add-in candy bits. Anyway, I currently find myself in a situation where I don't feel any particular desire to eat sweets so WTF (did I just use a naughty? )
You'd be home by now!!!

Brighid

Post Number: 956
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

\/\/4Xy, d00d, wtf? omg r u 1337? rotflmao u pwn!
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

--From Harley

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 10172
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Brighid, dear, you're not speaking English....?! Care to translate for the elderlies?

If corn syrup isn't metabolized, then why were the doctors so insistent that diabetics should avoid it? And why, when it showed up in most processed foods a while back, did we begin our national obesity epidemic here in the States? Coincidence? Enquiring minds want to know....

I'm sure Sal uses the Good Stuff (real cane sugar) for sweetening, right Sal? Remember back when Coca Cola switched from cane sugar to corn syrup? *BLEH*! Tasted awful for a while, until my taste buds adjusted. But maybe only addicts like me noticed

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6497
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Native Americans also do not process "potatoes" very well. Corn meal was better metabolized. Potatoes put on the pounds. They are also (along with African Americans and Asian Americans) only 10% able to digest milk products (lactose intolerant.)
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/grocery/dairyprimer.html

Brighid

Post Number: 959
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Patricia:

*shifty eyed and mysteriously vague*

Only 73h 1337 would know...

(I learned 1337 from younger posters on forums and in chats... a nebulous new computer "language", at best... quite amusing!)

Leet

--From Harley

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6498
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hey, anyone notice it's another 6/6/06 day (June 15, 2006) Add the 15 together for the 6. (Sheesh, not even a whimper of the rapture!!)

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 10179
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thanks, Brigid---I live and learn!

Those darn Rapture dates just keep comin' and goin' by without the darn Rapture. And here I am, waiting to get my hot little hands on all their STUFF, too

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 10180
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Since a couple of Sal's regulars are artists, I thought I'd post a link to an article about a recent art auction where Maxfield Parrish's masterpiece, "Daybreak" sold for a record $7,632,000. One of the prints made from it back in the 1920's hangs to my left on the wall over the fireplace as I type. According to the article, there was one in 1 out of 4 American homes of the day...not certain that's true, but my grandma's generation certainly loved his work.

Even better news, Alma Gilbert, an old friend of mine and one of the greatest promoters of his work, will get $300,000 of the purchase price to ensure that the museum she founded will have a permanent home

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6507
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Waxy, I found a website for you!!
http://www.dreamspell.net/LKS/eris-frame.html

When you click on the pix, it's very "surreal!!"

It's a coloring book based roughly on "The illuminati" books of Wilson and Leary.

buddie

Post Number: 791
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Lab..that is such a great site!
how do you find these things!

Pat..Daybreak is a beautiful painting OMG!!
and I forgot my print at work..Crap !!

buddie

Post Number: 792
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Wax I don't know if that was a final
Ado song in the Beer Thread,
Or if you are all sitting around
clinking glasses ??
Watch the "Lameness" it's real close
to my name there Bud :-)

susi t learn
Username: etsi

Post Number: 13302
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

righid

i-thought-you-were-makig-fu-of-me.lol

i-get-my-s-c-a--e-r-tomorrow!the-i-ca-add-to-the-wall!

will-it-oly-sca-photos

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

???

Buddie, you're losing me!
You'd be home by now!!!

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

g-pic-on-omebody-.you.own-size!
You'd be home by now!!!

buddie

Post Number: 793
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Waxy ..never pick..
the ditty over in the If Beer did not
have blah..blahh..
Since your friend left and GOD only KNOWS
where John is I thought You were leaving.??
Do The Words "never mind" help..
Chow..

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 10184
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 9:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yay, susi! Now if you can just snag a new keyboard... Actually, I've adjusted and my mind now reads your missing letters OK, so no rush. But it has to be frustrating.....!

I wish John would come back too. I miss him and especially here--this is *his place*, you know? I walk in and it just doesn't seem right to not see him behind the counter.

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Only way I'm leaving is if th' Good Lawrd decides I cain't have no more money t' pay fer computerizin' or an' act a Gawd strikes me down!
You'd be home by now!!!

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 12:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm having a rather challenging week of 'computing'. First my upgrade results in the unintended death of two components, and now I'm discovering almost by accident that I had a few spywares hiding on my drives! Grr! I feel so unclean when I find new ones, especially since I *thought* I was protected. I can imagine a day where I'll need a dozen different blockers running simultaneously just to be sure they have each other's back!
You'd be home by now!!!

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Heh. I just remembered this place is named the "Paranoia Cafe". How apropos of my last post...
You'd be home by now!!!

moonhowler

Post Number: 531
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 9:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi, ko-ko-ko-la, Waxy Tadpole to the rest of us. What a neat handle to pick. Where ever did you find that info?

And I didn't know there was a "bark at the moon" song. I missed that period of music altogether. Son had the damn music up so high it hurt my head and I would literally have to go to bed, shut the door and put a pillow over my head and ears. MTV was his thing and there was usually a battle over who got what TV. Two TV house, but three people lived here. No TV for me! Well, I'd rather read anyway.

Susi t, I'll be so glad when you got your new stuff. I, too, can make out your "writing" but it's tough. I need new glasses desperately. My left eye sees everything wavy due to the ruptured blood vessels which were lasered. Reading a whole lot is beginning to make me seasick!

Pat, it is a very small world. When I was a kid growing up in Coconut Grove, our next door neighbor was Steve Parrish and his wife, Edna. (Mr. & Mrs. Parrish to us kids!) It was just post-WWII, and I was about 3 when we moved to the Grove. Edna had 3 kids by her first husband, who was killed in the war, and married Steve, and promptly had three more. And, guess who the granddaddy of my Parrish friends was. Yup, Maxfield Parrish !!! Oh, I knew he was some kind of important person with all the fixings and dealings that went on when he came to visit. I remember only one visit, though he could have come more often. I doubt it though. Steve and his father did not get along.

It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I discovered Mr. Maxfield Parrish was THE accomplished artist.(I've only had a passing acquaintence with "art" in my life, though I know what I like when I see it.) Edna and Steve's last son was named Maxfield, in the grandfather's honor.

We kids were just told to just stay out of the way, and not come in and bother the man unless he called us. What did we care? We were kids. Who wants to hang around old men when you're a kid of 7 or 8 or 10 or however old I was. None of Edna's children by Steve inherited the gift of "art", but the son of Edna's first husband was a gifted oil painter and had no lessons until he was a teen. He was "slow" so no one paid much attention to him. Just wanted him to make it through school. But he and I were buddies, and he had a "studio", (which was just a lean-to shed with shelves for his paints and canvases, etc.) He would paint and I would "play" (as best I could) my guitar, and sing. Steve's woodworking shop was a little distance away, and we never seemed to bother him.

Steve, on the other hand, was a very accomplished "artist" with woodworking. Me made some really beautiful things. And he drove a foreign car, a Carmen Ghia (?) when no one else in Miami or Coconut Grove or Coral Gables drove foreign cars. Strange man, Steve, very strict with the children - and me!

So...I had a brush with celebrity when I was young and didn't even know it. We,my family, were invited to his "dinner" and I "had" to go, so I was told. Didn't care. They had tender steak, and we didn't have steak very often!

moonhowler

Post Number: 532
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sorry, I got so carried away. Visiting the old neighborhood in my mind made my tongue wag. blah, blah, blah. Sorry.

John, come back please. Find another mailbox to use: hotmail.com, yahoo.com, myway.com, excite.com, there are many, many freebies.

Bye all, I'm off to bed. Everybody else has already gotten up and I'm just going to. And that's the way it is for me. That's why I howl at the moon. I must hide from the sun!

zzzzzzzzz

buddie

Post Number: 795
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Waves at Moonhowler..Very interesting story!!
Sleep tight!!

Waxy I guess I was a "tad" paranoid yesterday
too it's good to hear your not leaving.
I hope John is OK..Pat or Lab have you heard
from John?? Yah he belongs here ,I was going
to say maybe he's busy in the summer and will
come back in the fall/winter..
but just remembered he lives in California. :-)

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 10188
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Cool, moonhowler!! I SO wish I'd been able to actually meet MP. His kids and he had uncomfortable relationships due to his having a live-in mistress, Sue Lewin, in his art studio (for most of his life) while his wife Lydia lived in the big house with the kids.

John's BEEN back, just not often and not to this thread And he's not answering my emails, either

Waxifrid Tadpolsson

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

moonhowler, I do a fair bit of reading myself, and have always had a fondness for lost-in-translation stories. Check out Engrish.com if you want to see a site devoted to the Japanese contribution to this grand international unintended-humor effort!

Also, ever heard of Reminisce magazine? They **publish** stories like yours! I borrow issues from my folks to get my fix of "swellness" now and then.

(Message edited by waxtadpole on June 17, 2006)
Swedish Chef