Archive through May 15, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Psychology, Sociology & the Mind » Sourdough Sal’s Insomniacs paranoia café » Archive through May 15, 2006 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brighid
Username: brighid_moon

Post Number: 866
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

*Murmurs from under the blanket which has become her cocoon*

Still here, still listening, still sending love to you all... just in a state of dormancy right now. *HUGS*
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--From Hamlet (I, v, 166-167)

"Watakushi wa shishi desu"
--From Harley

buddie
Advanced Member
Username: buddie

Post Number: 379
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thats awsome Susi.Hugs

All this has changed my plans..
I'm living alone until I'm 65 ,
then I'll hook up with a 50 something
who better stay healthy..

Lab hubbie may change after he feels more
like his old self..He needs some type
of exercise..
Come visit Toronto and I'll show you
the Town..we'll eat out every day
and you won't have time to think " old age "
I promise.. :-)

L. A. B.
Username: leathab

Post Number: 5977
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

(Hums to self "Oh Canada...") We were a few years ago, thinking of doing the "train" across Canada, but that's out now. Ah well, one day at a time. Susi is a saint, know where she's at, with two children who were disabled myself. Caregiving forever is a hard old path. Sometimes one gets a little selfish. Was so looking forward to a little time for something else. But it's back to the grindstone. (Grabs blankie, stuffie, and crawls into corner.)

L. A. B.

Post Number: 5978
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hey, completed all 24 puzzles. Probably at the bottom of the bottom, but at least they're done.

(Message edited by Leathab on May 10, 2006)

susi t learn
Username: etsi

Post Number: 12865
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

check this out, it brought tears to my eyes.

http://members.aol.com/DEMP12/ermabombeck.html

Patricia Davis
Username: patricia

Post Number: 9951
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

susi, I ***love*** that Bombeck piece--thank you for posting it! She has (had? is she still with us?) such a rare gift for storytelling and in that brief piece, she just shines. And so do all the Moms of special needs kids, too.

This AM I went to iTunes and got the "DaVinci Code" movie soundtrack and it's some of the most beautiful classical music I've ever heard. Wish I could share it with all of you! I'll listen to it as I work today and perhaps it will rescue the small painting that I started last night in painting class and really screwed up
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935

susi t learn

Post Number: 12866
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i used to have a book by her, (she's passed) about the different kinds of mothers. one thing that always stayed in my mind was her idea that down's syndrome children were in fact angels sent here to teach us love.

L. A. B.

Post Number: 5979
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Erma left us all April 1996.
http://www.cnn.com/US/9604/22/bombeck/

Her books saved my life, when I was a harried housewife. Her humor was so "on." Miss her terribly.

Thanks for reminding us of her wisdom, Susi.

buddie
Advanced Member

Post Number: 383
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Brig..Hugs ..for wtnss.to abduction post.

Pat..I'll be buying the soundtrack once it's
released Thanks.

Lab,Susi..you are both(from what I read)
in Erma's piece The chosen ones .You both
have this incredable spirit of life on
the bright side ( as far as I see your personalities )

You are both Caregivers because you
still do it in here from spime to time.

I remember a book by her ..
perhaps because it became a movie??
The grass is always greener over the
Septic Tank..I read the book and she
was certainly ahead of her time..Laugh
out Load is what I did..
But I know she wrote pieces like this
one and she was special..

Lab you finished Congrats..Tell me if
you got a mention..I'm now on 14 so only
14 more..I really only have the incentive
on the week-ends .Can't get into it after
work..I look forward to it Off and ON the
whole week-end..I like that it has a
time frame.I never use any other games
as such that are there forever type thing.

Sal..Your Today Special in a bag got to run.
(so glad Sal's not into styrofoam containers)

buddie
Advanced Member

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 7:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Oh..I meant to say... Susi!!
" Cut and Paste " I'm impressed.

I'm working on it,I know the
functions but still scared to do
it over here in case I mess up
someone's Thread..

You snuck that in at Sal's :-)
Your my cut and paste Hero...

Sal, susi gets a gooey or spicy thingey
of her choice.. add to my tab.

buddie
Advanced Member

Post Number: 393
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Gee the place is empty..
I must not be good for Business ??

Sal..I love your screen door..
It has the springs that close
behind you and that little metal roller thing
that snaps the door closed..
That door only swung one way.Inside you
pushed it open and Outside you pulled it open.
Narrow minded door but great memories :-)

Leaves Hug Bubbles for anyone who may need one.

Wax Tadpole
Username: waxtadpole

Post Number: 894
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 6:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sourdough Sal, won't you come out tonight
Come out tonight, come out tonight,
Sourdough Sal, won't you come out tonight
And let us in your old greasy spoon!
"When Waxism came to the Internet, it was wrapped in a Day-Glo zebra-striped serape and carried a plunger." - Sinis Lewclair 2263

Mark
Username: mark

Post Number: 2122
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 8:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Being a caregiver for my mom meant wearing many hats.
chauffeur, chef, janitor, interior designer, accountant, auto mechanic, social director, medicine man, raconteur, and later, an arm to assist 24/7, until her passing 2 years ago.
I can say that this may have been the best thing I will ever do ...enabling her to stay in the home she loved. And even though anyone who accepts this challenge themselves may feel overwhelmed at times, it's well worth it.
After all, who took care of you when you were little?
Eh?
...sometimes I feel certain that this was part of the agreement in my being here. It's an everybody wins situation.

Enough of that.

susi t learn

Post Number: 12885
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 8:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

mark

Brighid

Post Number: 869
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mark, I'm so glad you wrote that. I have many mixed reasons for being here and helping my Dad (as much as he'll allow), but that truly hits it to the core.

"I can say that this may have been the best thing I will ever do ...enabling her to stay in the home she loved. And even though anyone who accepts this challenge themselves may feel overwhelmed at times, it's well worth it.
After all, who took care of you when you were little?"

I only wish he'd have allowed me to help him care for my mother as well.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

--From Harley

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6004
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

My parents didn't really want their children when they came along (my brother and I) I still took care of them, an autistic son, an epileptic daughter and now my husband. Burn-out isn't an option. We trudge on.

Thank heaven for Sal's, the place with the bottomless pots of coffee/coke/tea etc. etc. And the "horn-o-plenty" food. Valhalla lives!!

John
Username: johnalbert

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mark you took care of your mom. that is awsome and i have new found respect for you. that is a good soul you have.

John
Username: johnalbert

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

sal responds,
waxy tadpole make us some art
make us some art
make us some art
waxy tadpole wont ya make us some art
give our eyes a delight tonight!

sal brings out a large pot of chilly Verdi and home made tortillas and behind her john is holding 4 pictures of freshly made margaritas

suddenly a band appears and the horns start to blow and the lead fiddle drops his fiddle and starts singing

return return return.
wish I knew Spanish better.

Mark
Username: mark

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thanks...but,
it's no big deal. Not extraordinary at all... think alpha wolf ethics here:
survival of the pack, all the time, no matter what.

Love may be the basis, but a certain ruthless persistance is indispensible when that is what's needed to get the job done.
It was my pleasure.

nadm
Advanced Member
Username: nadm

Post Number: 433
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i was thinking the same, Mark. when loved ones are in need we do what we can to help. it's our nature. and you're right, that it is a very meaningful sacrifice which winds up returning more than we give, at least on the level of spirit.

LAB, i agree with you, but at the same time, burnout can happen. i have hit the wall with chronic issues more than once. the lesson for me was that *if* burnout is not an option, best find ways to nurture myself through all the caretaking. i guess it works differently for different people. personality no doubt plays a role, and maybe also the question of how much caretaking is part of one's "normal" routine. for me, that's a generous helping on a good day, so if i have emergency caretaking duties as well, it can be a challenge. but when i decide to just ignore my own needs, i pay for it in the long run.

speaking of which, time for my workout. just as soon as i down this espresso...

buddie
Advanced Member

Post Number: 401
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I could swear I heard Banjo Music as I
"drove up" .
I admire and respect you all.
My mother passed away 2 years ago
while under the throws of full Blown
Alzheimers.
I live away so it was my siblings who
bore the greatest load.Even after she
was admitted for round the clock care
my sisters were there for all her baths
(she would have HATED Anyone bathing her)
and her meals.They tucked her into bed every night up until the end.4 years..

Well my big brother is in town this week-end
and I'm invited on Saturday to stay at the Swankiest Hotel this side of Lake Louise..

Oh how I want to soak up the opulence. :-)
Sal I'll be back Sunday for a Hang over Fix.

Lab I ordered "the magdalene cipher" perfect
timing too.I couldn't get it any cheaper
under $12.00 shipping from Flordia..
I got a used one..

susi t learn

Post Number: 12894
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

mi gusta margueritas!

todo es bueno!

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 9968
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Margueritas--*YES!*

I want to read that book too, L. A. B., but I won't have a life again until June. As it is, the last 3 books I've bought are sitting collecting dust

I'm so depressed today that I'm pulling out the Big Guns--a Harry Potter movie--just got "Chamber of Secrets" last week on sale. That's guaranteed to cheer me up--anyone else who wants to watch also gets a large cat draped across their lap for no extra charge (otherwise, all three will be trying to occupy me at once)
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935

susi t learn

Post Number: 12898
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

patricia

if you want to laugh, watch 'the burbs'. it's laugh out loud funny. bruce dern was hilarious.

and 'what about bob'.

i'll take a cat that doesn't claw. (still nursing wesa's latest wounds.)

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 898
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

PD, I have a "big gun" right here! I've finally done an angel pic that's worthy of Mom:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c129/RealWaxy/Cathetel.jpg
"When Waxism came to the Internet, it was wrapped in a Day-Glo zebra-striped serape and carried a plunger." - Sinis Lewclair 2263

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 899
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It was a deliberate name choice this time - a quick web search gave me the following name and description:

"Cathetel inspires humans to love, appreciate and attune to Nature."

moonhowler
Advanced Member
Username: moonhowler923

Post Number: 495
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 3:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

This is a difficult weekend for me. My Mom passed in 1982, and my Grandma in 1984. I miss them both ever so much. Mom was my best friend, always, even though I had "best friend girlfriends". I can't go to the cemetery to visit the graves there: Mom, Nannie [grandma] and Memmaw [great-grandmother]. I cry and cry and cry. When will this grieving ever end?

I'm just glad my son won't grieve so much for me. It isn't his nature. He still misses Mom and Nannie, but he no longer grieves.

Happy Mother's Day to all, and especially to those who've lost their Moms already - whether or not you have kids of your own. Blessings for all.

May I have a platter of roast beef with mashed potatoes & gravy, with early peas and fried okra? And a big glass of strong iced tea. For dessert, I'll have, please, a huge slice of raspberry cheesecake. Remember, there are no calories or fats in foods here at Sal's. It's virtual food. Patricia told me that. yum yum.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The older the fiddle the sweeter the tune.
... Irish Proverb

susi t learn

Post Number: 12904
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

moon

i too miss my mom. mainly her laughter. after she passed i started 'writing her letters' to express my grief. whenever i feel the need to talk to her, i write her a letter.

motherhood is not for wimps! kudos to all. :-)

mmmmmmmm.......cheesecake........drool...mine with caramel sauce please.

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 9970
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Waxy, that's a beautiful, beautiful angel! I began a series of pencil drawings of archangels many years ago, but never finished it. The names were so evocative....Wonder what ever became of the drawings??

susi, I've only watched a couple of comedy movies in my *life*--for some reason, I never feel like going to one and neither does The Skeptic. But seeing a drama-type movie always pushes my emotional 'reset button' and I feel better afterwards, so I watched "Chamber of Secrets" before going to bed last night and it really helped.

It's a hard weekend for me, too--had serious problems with my mother and so many unresolved feelings about her when she died that even now, a couple of years after her death, I'm still very conflicted about her. And when you combine that with having lost my only son and no Mother's Day cards or flowers most years, it makes for a sad weekend.

Some years, The Skeptic remembers to give me a card "from the kitties" and a small bouquet, but not every year. And this year he's away rafting, so....But the lovely woman who owns the Curves that I go to bought a huge bouquet of pink roses and gave one to each of us, Moms or not, as we left, yesterday. So I have it in a bud vase beside the computer and I smile each time I see it

I think I'd like a fancy brunch buffet tomorrow...any chance we could talk Sal into laying on a nice one, complete with ice sculpture and Mimosas??

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6007
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

(Throws in "Ghostbusters" for the laughs) Party time!! Balloons, drinks on the house, sandwiches (even cucumber for the Brits) with deviled ham, cheezes, roast beast. Sal's off today. Chips and dips on the bar. Grab your poison and play!!

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 901
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 4:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Belgian Waffles! I haven't had one in far too long!

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6010
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

For those who cannot wait for "Dead Man's Chest" here's the theatrical trailer. It's great!!
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/piratesofthecaribbeandeadmanschest.html

buddie
Advanced Member

Post Number: 407
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 8:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Happy Mothersday..

Me gustan margueritas una buena cantidad.??
del todo estar de buenas. ?????
lol ??

Gets icepak crawls back on couch !!!!

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 912
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Waxy don't speak Ess-Pan-Yowel! . He got in trouble an' hadda stand in the corner when he wuz a kid because he did't want to learn it (they teached in inna gradeschool in Texas). Waxy wuz excared of German too, and him Momma don't let him forget it even to this day

Waxy gustatory corn cake!

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 913
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

ˇEsperanzas cerosas que el buddie será agradable y traducirá la Ess-P.an-Yowel para él a veces en Canadá con los otros wiminses lindos! [see: http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr]

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6015
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Be sure and tell them "Spanish to English."

Happy Mother's Day all those who nurture!! Be happy, joyful and loving. (Passes out one rose to each at Sal's.)

Brighid

Post Number: 874
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ahhhh Babelfish! *shoves one in her ear*

Happy Mommy's Day to all Mommies!

Today is Mother's Day Brunch at Sal's.

Swedish Crepes, Eggs Benedict, French Toast, Sweet Potato Pancakes, Crab and Swiss Omelettes, Spinach and Mushroom Quiche, Juevos Rancheros with Chorizo, or you can order whatever your hearts desire ... and lots and lots of champagne and wine to go around!

*puts flowers on everyone's place-settings*

--From Harley

buddie
Advanced Member

Post Number: 409
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Waxy .. say what ?? I added the site to my
fav's , once I'm over my Fear of Cut and Paste
it will come in handy.. I don't think what
I said makes too much sense in Spanish ..
Some where in the vacinity of drinking too
many margueritas last night....

the place looks lovely but no food for me
and I have a huge aversion to spirits today..

susi t learn

Post Number: 12916
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

mmmm...juevos rancheros & chorizo for me. add tons of green chilis. pop a corona to go with that. lime on the side.

buddie
Advanced Member

Post Number: 412
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Lab..have you been back into the
Da vinci Quest site ?
I can longer find the game?
I think they junked it , getting ready for
the new one. " sniff "

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6021
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Actually, it was completed after May 11. (Didn't know this??!!) I finished the 24 puzzles. They will notify me tomorrow if I get to "play on" for the finale or not (more than likely not.)

Brighid

Post Number: 883
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

OOOOO Good luck, LAB!

--From Harley

moonhowler
Advanced Member
Username: moonhowler923

Post Number: 497
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 9:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Happy Day After Mother's Day. Back to the old grind. Ugga.

Ms Davis, after your show, can you post some of your paintings to share with us?

Going back to bed now. Spent yesterday consoling friends who could not be with their kids. Man, it wore me out. I had planned on a day of sleep & it didn't work out. Celebrated Mom's Day on Saturday with son & his wife. The Master doesn't celebrate Mom's Day. Grrr!

Nighty nite. *pulls blanket over head and begins to snore gently*
The older the fiddle the sweeter the tune.
... Irish Proverb

susi t learn

Post Number: 12929
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i spent mother's day with my buddie whose son has advanced cancer and mercury poisening. he's supposed to fly here wednesday. along with the joys of motherhood also come the heart wrenching times.

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6028
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Blessing and meditations for your friend's son. Are they trying to get rid of the Mercury poisoning, or is he too ill to do that procedure which is so dangerous?

You were wondering where he might have gotten the mercury poisoning? If they lived in an old house, the plumbing might contain both mercury and lead fittings that were saudered together with those materials.

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 10001
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

And I'm happy to report that The Skeptic did not, after all, forget Mother's Day and slipped a card from our 3 cats under my studio door late last night when he got home from rafting. And even nicer, Sheila Na Gig created and sent me a link to a wonderful card for those of us whose children are on the Other Side. So my Mother's Day ended much more happily than I expected it to

And I'll be off now to browse the left-overs from yesterday's brunch....

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6037
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well, I think I get to play the "Final Challenge" (it's still a bit unclear, but it let me in and I read the rules, the last part doesn't start until 19th of May.) So maybe.

One caramel macciatto latte please.

buddie
Advanced Member

Post Number: 421
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It did not let Me in..(14 out of 24)??

Lab I'm sure you made it.
Dam you think !!
Let me know !!!
I'm Excited ..Too Cool..

buddie
Advanced Member

Post Number: 422
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I told Waxy's little Girlfriend about the
the contest..she had already read the book
got right into it ..
Told her today it was over for US..
NOT FARE !! LOL

L. A. B.

Post Number: 6038
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 7:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thanks Buddie, just wasn't sure, no e-mail was sent, just the little "love" note at the bottom of the game that accessed the next "instruction." So maybe I get to play?? It will be five puzzles (argh!!) that have to be completed in two days. The winner is the one who does each one in the shortest time.
Which means, food must be put where I am, water too, (wondering about bathroom breaks.

If I don't get the "official" notice, wonder if I still get to play?? Friday will tell the tale.