Archive through April 02, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Psychology, Sociology & the Mind » Sourdough Sal’s Insomniacs paranoia café » Archive through April 02, 2006 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

L. A. B.
Username: leathab

Post Number: 5485
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Gelfling, you were "900" on this thread, congratulations!!

Re: What movie character would I be?? Nimue in any of the "Arthurian" movies (Excalibar, Mists of Avalon, Camelot, Merlin etc.)

gelfling
Username: celine

Post Number: 3642
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

What do I win??

A big bowl of soup?

L. A. B.

Post Number: 5490
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hot coffee and pizza with everything!! Extra cheese of course, and a plate of cinnamon balls!! Enjoy!!

buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sal has Enterprise shaped soup bowls for her
Shatner soup.
I have my Vibrating massaging slippers on
and they tickle..

L. A. B.

Post Number: 5493
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

(The "soup nazi", "No soup for you!!! No pon phar either!! Just gotta wait another 7 years, mooohhhhhaaaahaaa!!) Guess I'll put in those "Classic Trek" DVD's and laugh at "Spock's Brain" and the "Trouble with Tribbles", cry for Kirk in "The Paradise Syndrome" when Miramanee dies, bleed for "Bones" in "The Empath" and shiver during "City on the Edge of Forever." (Holds her "IDIC" close to her heart and her "Spock" bear!!)

buddie

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Spoken like a True Trekkie..Spock Bear ??
way before those "other bears " which I have a trunk full.The nieces were into them and I got
a hankering for them too..then the nieces out grew them ??
Wish they had of multi-marketed? Tribbles in Canada I loved them.

Patricia Davis
Username: patricia

Post Number: 9588
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thanks for the Jimmy Stewart Museum link, Sheila--I went to school with the guy who put the museum together. And my Dad and uncles went to school with Jimmy. His Dad had a hardware store on our main street and he had a display in the window of memorabilia from Jimmy's life, including his Oscar, for many years. I hope some of the photos made it into the museum. Not sure which of his many movies was my favorite, but "Bell, Book and Candle" stands out the most, I think....well, it and the Hitchcock-directed ones.

I think I need a hearty bowl of veggie soup today, with a side salad and some dinner rolls. [scarfs up some cinnamon balls, while Sal ladles up the soup n' fixin's]

Lately I've kept quoting that gosh-awful Classic Trek episode a lot, L. A. B.--"Brain, brain....where is brain..." as I forget stuff right and left and lose things daily

buddie

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Scarfs ..teee..hee..
OMG..Jimmy Stewart..
I love the one where he is broke and all his friends get together and make the place look like a Get Away Vacation..but it's raining and messy
and his wife has a special corner tucked aside for their meal then he gets a job .

buddie

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ya I know I talk too Muuch..
turns on mirror ball.grabs fav teddy and just wants to Chill..
We need a B.Davis movie.

Sheila Na Gig
Username: wimminsknickers

Post Number: 534
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Pat, that's neat about the Jimmy Stewart connection. My all time favourite movies of his are 'Rear Window' and 'It's a Wonderful Life.' Love Bell, Book And Candle too with Kim Novak as his co-star. I always imagined her to be such a tortured soul in real life for some reason. And speaking of that movie, I used to have a siamese cat that I named Pywacket.

Waxy, I'm passing out those buttons to all my friends! Here's a 'cheeky' little greeting from me to you! A Big Irish Hello To The Waxster!
Pog Mo Thoin.

Wax Tadpole
Username: waxtadpole

Post Number: 689
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

L.A.B. I'd read that the IDIC was just a crass, tacky attempt to milk the then-dying Trek series for merchandising dollars...

PD, damned if you didn't beat me, so I'll just have to go with less-ready-to-mind quotes from that ep: "No, you must not take Controller! [whine]" and "[awed tone]Ion power...". Gimme some o' that pain-and-delight

buddie, Spock Bear???

"I AM KIROC!!!!"

SNG, don't make me sic the Bringloidis on you!

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 690
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

BTW, they're pogs. Get it? "Pog" Mo Thoin?

So you are not merely a person, you are an Event! But why is there no Sheila Na Faq?

Oh, and why do the Irish spell it "Oirish"? That fascinates me...

(Message edited by waxtadpole on April 02, 2006)

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 9596
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sheila, you are *BAD*! Can't wait to see Waxy's reaction to THAT bit of naughtiness

I actually met Jimmy Stewart one day as I walked my new puppy in the snow--I was 12 years old--what a handsome man he was! And he came to my grandfather's funeral, I remember. My Dad and uncles looked so much like him that I always figured we crawled out of the same gene pool at some point. When The Skeptic met my Dad the first time, he couldn't get over it--they even talked the same, he said

He and Bette Davis actually did a made-for-TV movie together--"Right of Way"--maybe we can watch that tonight? If so, I think Sal should whip up some Chocolate Decadence Layer Cake and we can squirt whipped cream all over it and wash it down with decaf mochas
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935

Patricia Davis

Post Number: 9597
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Talk about instant gratification--?!
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 692
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Talk about inspiring my new signature!
"When Waxism came to the Internet, it was wrapped in a Day-Glo zebra-striped serape and carried a plunger." - Sinis Lewclair 2263

susi t learn
Username: etsi

Post Number: 12339
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 1:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

hey guys! thought i'd drop in for a night cap after ceremony. don't drink before it. very strong vibes tonight.

i know i haven't been in awhile...just too much going on with the kid. i'm sending him to florida on the 10th to see his old neurosurgeon. i will NOT give up.

plus i've been thinking about taking a break from uc, at least for a short time. i haven't been my usual positive self and i don't want it to spew over onto the board. that only fuels others. i'm guilty of it, i know.

so, how 'bout a coors lite?

Sheila Na Gig

Post Number: 536
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 8:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

susi, I'm sending lots of positive energy your way and will keep you and Bryn in my prayers. Sometimes it just feels like life has landed a ton of bricks on our heads. I know that feeling. But as they say, 'this too shall pass.' Not a great deal of comfort at the time, I know. And susi, you're ENTITLED to spew all you want. So spew right ahead. We're here and we're listening. And we love ya girl!

Sal, make that two coors lite would you and double helpings of your best comfort food.
Pog Mo Thoin.

Sheila Na Gig

Post Number: 537
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Pat, wouldn't it be something if it turned out that you and Jimmy Stewart were actually related.
Such a nice man he must be too I have always thought. Yep, I'll watch a movie anytime starring him and the tres magnificent Bette Davis. And lay that chocholate cake right on me!

Pogs, Waxy. I forgot about the pogs. Now I get it!
Pog Mo Thoin.

Sheila Na Gig

Post Number: 538
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

L.A.B. slaps her hand to her forehead and exclaims, "Dear God, there's two of them on the thread now!" (Meaning of course Sheila Na Gig and Waxy Na Tadpole).
Pog Mo Thoin.

buddie

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Gonna Be A Bear

In my next life I'd like to come back
as a Bear.
When your a Bear,you get to hibernate.
You do nothing but sleep for 6 months.
I could deal with that.

Before you hibernate, your supposed to eat
yourself stupid.I could deal with that too.

If your a mama Bear everyone knows you mean
business.You swat anyone who bothers your
cubs.If your cubs get out of line,you swat
them too.I could deal with that.

If your a Bear your mate EXPECTS you
to wake up growling.
He EXPECTS that you will have hairy legs
and excess body fat.

Yup,gonna be a Bear...

L. A. B.

Post Number: 5497
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

(Looking at the "wrinklies" with the green tattoo) Who got in my loo!!! Those photos are contraban!!

(Dang those leprechaun aliens!!) Guess we'll throw in "Finian's Rainbow" with Fred Astaire, Petula Clark and Tommy Steel as "Og" the leprechaun. Worst musical ever made, but the songs are great!!

Easter is coming, so no more "greeny" frogs!!!

Susi, you are no worse than anyone else, you have a "BS" moniter on high, just like me.
Please stay with us, but only if you're feeling stronger. Bryn is in our meditations and blessing prayers. He'll finally get help, I just feel it!!

(Message edited by Leathab on April 02, 2006)

Wax Tadpole

Post Number: 694
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

L.A.B., are you saying I need to do a pink Waxy with big ears and a basket full of eggs (frog's eggs, naturally)?

She called me NA!!! [swoon]

Sheila, being serious for a moment (yep, I can be!) - are you of Irish descent or do you actually hail from that wacky green isle? Also, what do "Pog Mo Thoin" and "...Na Gig" actually mean? Do you speak any Gaelic, or are you just paying respect to your ancestors?

[FWIW, Waxy's paternal grandmother had a bit of "Bohannon" in her, according to a genealogy book I got to look at once or twice...]

(Message edited by waxtadpole on April 02, 2006)
"When Waxism came to the Internet, it was wrapped in a Day-Glo zebra-striped serape and carried a plunger." - Sinis Lewclair 2263

John
Username: johnalbert

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

susi, absolutely do not leave us.

morning all, I waxy is not the only Irish with a wicked sense of humor here.

day light savings time today the computer said so if its not will some one tell me. for some reason when I bought the calendar this year it dose not have moon phases or the holidays. its PC I guess.

if the famous person question is still up ill be Billy Zane. I know he did not do much or get too famous but at least I would look like Billy Zane.

Sheila Na Gig

Post Number: 540
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

(Looking at the "wrinklies" with the green tattoo) Who got in my loo!!! Those photos are contraban!!

/^^^^\
|------- |
-)-|| o (*)=||
|_ ..|___|
| __ |
\____/
_|__|_ (0)
_||____|__oo__|___|_
/ ||-----------------| \
/ ||(0) |__oo__| (0) | \
|---||____| || |_____|
|---|| || | |

Prepare to be assimilated!
Pog Mo Thoin.

L. A. B.

Post Number: 5503
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

(And a dancing banana back to you!!!)[IMG]http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/910/banana157iw.gif[/IMG]

Waxy, would love to see cadbury "bunnies" handing out frog's eggs!! (Isn't that caviar?? No wait, that's sturgeons.)

Foie Gras uck!! Just light scrambled eggs on buttered toast and a latte please!!

L. A. B.

Post Number: 5504
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

[IMG]http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/3645/dancingduck5md.gif[/IMG]

gelfling

Post Number: 3647
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Waxy, take a good look at that there photo Sheila gave you, and you get an idea of what pog mo thoin means. LOL.

buddie

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

susi ?? HUGS and all things positive are sent to You and Bryn.I'll miss your feedback on American Idol though!! plus many many other things.
Please stay if your up to it at all.

gelfling

Post Number: 3648
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

First Nomie, then Susi, huge bummer.

Take a break if you need to Susi, but hurry back here when you can.

Sheila Na Gig

Post Number: 541
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Waxy, I do indeed hail from the Emerald Isle itself. I grew up in Dublin and London (England) until I was 15 and came to live in Canada. And I'm not going to say how long ago that was! 'Sheila Na Gig' is the name of an ancient Irish Goddess who used to run around old Ireland exposing herself to all and sundry. The original dirty old lady you might say.
"Pog Mo Thoin" pronounced 'Pogue Ma Hone' means "Peace Be Yours." Try saying it to a person from Ireland when you meet them. I'm sure they'll be thrilled!
Here's a live webcam link to part of downtown Dublin. City Of Dublin
Pog Mo Thoin.

gelfling

Post Number: 3650
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Wow, rainy there. One of the branches of my family tree came here from Dublin. That was a few generations ago though.

Naughty Sheila, you're gonna get Waxy in trouble.

Sheila Na Gig

Post Number: 542
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

You know, believe it or not that's one of the things I miss about Ireland, the rain. Especially in the Spring. I could wax poetic but I'll spare you all.

I am always amazed at just how many people have Irish ancestors. Of course it's always the more interesting, beautiful and fascinating people that do wouldn't you agree. If you ever make it over there for a holiday Gelf, make sure you visit County Clare (that's actually where I was born) as it's quite possibly the most beautiful county in Ireland.
When I go home for a visit this is my local watering hole, good old 'Durty Nelly's' pub right next to 'Bunratty Castle.' Durty Nelly's
Pog Mo Thoin.

L. A. B.

Post Number: 5505
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

(Warning, nudity)Wiki has some nice photos of Sheila Na Gigs, they were carved in old Celtic churches all over the UK.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheila-na-gig
She is some gal, gets around alot!! My heroine!!

Isn't "Dirty Nelly" the Queen of Spades in "Hearts??"

(Passes out the cards and waits for the gaming to begin.)

buddie

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sheila Love your photo what contrast.
I was in Ireland when I was 6, family trip.
Dad wanted to go to back to his roots..
something Brae (Family last name).
I also know we went to County Clare..My sister went back for her Honeymoon.

gelfling

Post Number: 3652
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 4:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Actually I have Irish on both sides of the family, so yeah. It's pretty amazing that for such a small country they really did a good job sowing their dna everywhere.

But personality wise, I'd feel much happier in a sunny place like Spain or the south of France. Put in a place that's dark and rainy for too long, I WILL get depressed. Guess it's good for me my ancestors left the rain.

I remember Frank McCourt talking about (did you read Angela's Ashes?) coming in from the rain to sit by the fire, and people's clothes just steaming.

gelfling

Post Number: 3653
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

OMG! I just checked out the na gigs! *faints*

Sheila Na Gig

Post Number: 543
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Gelf, there are so many Irish living in Spain right now, you wouldn't believe it. They've even got not one, but several pubs over there called 'Durty Nelly's.'
Russia has quite a few Irish pubs too!
'Angela's Ashes,' yeah read that and saw the movie. Part of the book is set in Limerick, Co. Clare and I'm from a town just outside there called Ennis. Never remember me clothes steaming though.

L.A.B, those were great Sheila (Sheela) Na Gig Links!
Here's the story of Durty Nelly. The Story Of Durty Nelly
Pog Mo Thoin.

Sheila Na Gig

Post Number: 544
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hey buddie, County Clare eh? Hope you managed to bring a few memories of the trip back with you, even though you were only six.
Pog Mo Thoin.

gelfling

Post Number: 3654
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Gah, I'm reading about Durty Nelly and I can't get the image of the Sheila out of my head!

Especially when they mention paying the toll 'in kind'....

gelfling

Post Number: 3655
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

MAKE YER OWN

buddie

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

tee..heee..gelfling
Sheila..I'm tacking The Durty Nellie Story on the wall..It's a lot like Sal's story..

gelfling

Post Number: 3656
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Did you know that millions chose to go hungry rather than eat potatoes which were brought from the new country? I have the History channel on right now. They were called the 'devils root'.

The Germans eventually accepted it because invading bad guys who would burn crops and starve people, couldn't burn them. (being underground).

French people clung to their ways, wouldn't accept the potato. Eventually they faced a famine, which was one of the catalysts of the Revolution.

Interesting little tuber.

Not to mention the 'lumper' eaten in Eire.

buddie

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Silly. choice for France ?
love the little tuber..
have to ask ?? lumper ..grease and wood ??

gelfling

Post Number: 3657
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

No they just said that's what taters were called back in the day in Ireland.

Initially people didn't want to eat potatoes because they were used to 'grain'. Their crops were all grain and they were used to eating bread. Plus potatoes are all dirty and you have to dig them out of the ground.

I'll have a big pile of home fries, with bits of onion and bacon in there. Mmmm.

French people you might say are 'tradionalists'. Or you could say they are stuck in their ways. They still are that way, heh.

buddie

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well Bud the Sud has come a long way..
big pile of home fries for me too Sal.

donnawa
Username: donnawa

Post Number: 2333
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Wasn't ergot or mold found on potato skins? People had LSD reactions from potatos then.

L. A. B.

Post Number: 5507
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

THought Ergot was from bad wheat/oats?

Treakle is molasses, in case you are looking for it.
Think whiskey that tastes like gingerbread.

(Hands out the gingerbread cookies and thinks of Waxy.) Coffee and warm gingerbread. yummy (with a nip in the cup.)

gelfling

Post Number: 3658
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Some kind of rot blighted the potato crop which led to the great potato famine, and tons of people died. I don't know about the ergot.

donnawa
Username: donnawa

Post Number: 2334
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Maybe this is what I meant:

"... When exposed to light, the potato produces a keloid called solanine which can cause... psychotic symptoms, including hallucinations...."

http://www.schizophrenia.com/New/schizup.dec.12b.htm

gelfling

Post Number: 3659
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Blech, can't stand whiskey. Can't tolerate Guiness either. What kind of Irish decendant am I?

And, did you also know, that because of the 'mini ice age' that harmed crops in mostly northern European countries, that those folks came in a big wave here. The Germans, Poles, Dutch, Scot, etc., they came before people from the sunnier Med. climes. Well, that explains our beverage preferance, meaning that most Americans drink (when they drink) beer or shots much more frequently than wine. The people from the warmer countries are the ones that drink more wine.

Except don't try the wine from Greece, its terrible.