Is it time for a new board? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

New Board? » Is it time for a new board? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Board Administrator
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Usage of our board is dropping, in part because of the effect of social media, but also because our software is only partially functional. If we had a rich, fully functional experience, would that make any difference to your interest in posting? If so, do you have any software you might recommend? We would leave the old board as an archive, but the new one would obviously start from scratch, as we cannot get any response from our current provider, Parachat and their software is, obviously, a big part of the problem.

Whitley Strieber
Username: strieber

Post Number: 832
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

My two cents: there are also posters who have been methodically attacking others, not enough to trigger our rules, but enough to drive a number of people away who have written me expressing their disappointment. So should we also change our posting rules? If so, what do you think needs to be done?

man in
Username: thirdpal

Post Number: 667
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Posting rules can be a bit too strick. For instance I've been on this board on and off for over 10 years (or there about) and I've never even had a warning. At Graham Hancock's forum I was kicked off twice, once for insinuating a curse word and the other time was a very minor infraction. I quit going there. There were several board moderators and they are Nazi's.

The board administrator here is much more tolerant, and though it can get heated, especially in the Political threads, I usually back off before things get too far gone. Anyway, I like the board tolerance here, but the fact that so many folks can not handle it after they are attacked or feel they are being attacked is sad and some of them are greatly missed.

Maybe the moderator should just be slightly more aggressive in serving warnings, or come in with a hand slab every once in a while.

Second Wind
Username: second_wind

Post Number: 5856
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 1:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Admin says:

"We would leave the old board as an archive"

I think that is valuable, and I appreciate that.

--------------------

I personally have no problem with the software issues. Those are VERY minor annoyances, IMO.

I have made my position clear on other threads, FWIW.

Whitley, are you sincere in asking what should be done?

You seem to be, based on what you posted above. Yet, you did not respond to my post to you on the "UC message board a ghost town?" thread.

Yes, there are those who methodically attack others.

Should the rules be changed? Only if there is ADMIN who will fairly enforce them.

"Rules" are pointless if nobody enforces them, and Admin should be active enough to KNOW when and how the "rules" are being violated, either in spirit or in the letter of the "law".

I understand the need for admin as a "go-between", but to not have any way to contact you, Whitley, by either PM or by email, is frustrating.

You said, Whitley, that some have written you to express their disappointment over the fact that there are those who continue to get a pass for attacking others. I wonder, how did they write you? Your profile does not accept PMs.

There are some things I would say to you privately, if I knew how to email you or PM you, and knew that you would actually see it.

You ask:

"What do you think needs to be done?"

I have suggestions....but do you want to hear them?
"In the end, only kindness matters."

Whitley Strieber

Post Number: 833
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 3:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I thought I did respond to the ghost town comment. Maybe not. So consider this my response. Please send your suggestions to the admin. In the end, it will be up to him. I wish that I could respond personally, but if I get involved in disputes, which I will if my PM is opened, that's a can of worms none of us needs.

Second Wind

Post Number: 5857
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Oh.

OK.

But you said:

"but enough to drive a number of people away who have written me expressing their disappointment"

So, I interpreted that to mean you were saying a number of people had written to you personally about it.

My mistake.

bean
Username: tina

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 7:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm thinking along the same lines as man in.

Bob Friedman
Username: bobufo

Post Number: 5419
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 8:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I don't have answers , but only know that this messageboard is important to me and the rest of us all here, and hope it will continue with or without changes, ....when I see posts I disagree with, I let them go, and as far as personal attacks , I figure the attackers will be either called -out, sent to the corn-field, or ignored into the world of irrelevance. :-)
"it's the cracked ones
that let the light in"

Mama Shine
Username: mama_shine

Post Number: 15003
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I agree with Bob.

The attackers speak for themselves.
Even if they do get by with it, they
have made their impression.

I have a big post count but most I say
rolls as one liners, songs or
pondering. I have no answers either
but I enjoy being here with like minded
people and appreciate hospitality.
I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. ~William Blake

Kokopelli
Username: auriga560

Post Number: 811
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 1:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

What are the software issues? I have never had any problems with it. As far as posting, I dont post here nearly as much as I used to, but I still pop in and read quite often. Why it is that I post so rarely now is hard to say - but I have noticed that there are fewer posts overall lately and maybe that has something to do with it.
Knowing is arrogant; not knowing is stupidity; the way is far beyond both of these.

john
Advanced Member
Username: zentarantino

Post Number: 300
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 8:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

If newer software greatly increases the need of memory, processing and connection speed on the client end, then I would rather not have it. This seems to be the trend in the past few years on the internet.

I do tend to believe in people having the freedom to say what they want. I have difficulty in seeing how you can enforce rules on a message board and expect a lot of posting at the same time.

I'm not sure though how important the message board is to me though for my own use, I'm not really that social and I tend not to make very good connections with people.

There is one nagging thought though. There are probably a number of people who leave here who never say to anyone why.

(Message edited by zentarantino on December 15, 2011)

Second Wind

Post Number: 5858
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 9:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

john, I agree 100% with what you said about any potential change in software!!!!

As for enforcing rules......well, you might be right that enforcement of "no attacks" rules might result in less posts/posters.

However, the NON-ENFORCEMENT of "civility" rules most definitely HAS resulted in fewer posts/posters.

Freedom of speech should not include unkindness.

Besides, there are more ways to deny "freedom of speech" on a message board or in "real life", than to fairly enforce "civility" rules.

It's a lot like the law of "right to work" states; a person can be fired for ANY or for NO reason, with NO notice, and NO avenue for redress. If the boss doesn't like you, for WHATEVER reason, you can be fired legally. Of course, they might just try to make you miserable enough to run you off first.

I feel similar to you about the "not being social" issue.

If I say the board is important to me, that would only be partially true.

If I say it does not matter to me anymore, that, too, would only be a half-truth.

I do know one thing for certain; it is human nature, after a period of time being attacked (in one way or another) to begin responding in a similar way to one's attackers.

How sad is that?

ariez
Username: ariezx51

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 9:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I haven't noticed much of a problem with the board software, but since it's been mentioned I'll assume there's something to that.

There are other social outlets out there, but do people go into the kind of detail as openly as they do here on the board.. some maybe, but not as much, I would guess

Activity here dwindles and that seems to create a domino effect. A lot of folks are still reading the posts, but there's less to respond to.
It's a bit like the 'chicken or the egg' question. Is the message board the problem, or are posters less inspired to post?

I agree with those that feel a stricter moderation of the board may not help much. It's a bit tricky and can squeeze the life out of the message board experience. However, since I've been here, 4 years now, some posters have been a bit over the top and should have been dealt with sooner than they were. Then, there are those who shadow certain people and badger them.
I think a moderator would have to weigh things and decide whether a poster is just having a bad day, or if they're a bigger problem.

In any event, I feel you don't want to inhibit the passion of discussion here.

It isn't clear to me as to why the slump. The times we're living now can drive people to distraction. I know my focus is somewhat scattered these days.

Working towards a solution is appreciated, but it's really up to each and everyone of us.

wolfshadow
Username: wolfshadow

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm just giving my opinion on why people leave,after awhile I think that the negative energy becomes too much and drags a person down.

As for the board again I'm just giving my opinion yes social media may have a part to do with it but at the same time I kind of like the board the way it is.For the most part it is easy to navigate there are good references to different topics,and if I want social media I'll go to FB.Somteimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Jimmy
Username: chippyo

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Put another board up but no politics thread.
problem solved.
"Don't take life to seriously;no one gets out alive."

Second Wind

Post Number: 5861
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Politics is NOT the only source of friction on this board.

However, the friction on the politics threads is the primary reason I stay (mostly) away from them.

Of course, I try to stay mostly away from politics, period.......since it's all about the "theatre" of divide and control.

(Message edited by second_wind on December 15, 2011)

fortwynt
Username: john_doe420

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

well im going to chime in (imagine that)

What I've noticed during my somewhat long time here is that there are indeed certain posters who have a very arrogant and pushy attitude towards most other posters...or, at least towards those posters who disagree with them in a semi-fundamental way.

For instance...one that comes to mind would ALWAYS, instead of sticking to the facts or ideas, when presented with opposition, would most generally respond by leveling a bit of personal insult towards the other person. To the point where it got ridiculous for me to read this board and not shake my head wondering if they were an administrator or something explaining why they were never banned.

Then another comes to mind who seems to want to be here only to espouse their almighty inarguable version of reality and our place in it.

Generally speaking, im not sure people violate the "rules" so much as they just violate general courtesy rules...and then when you call them on it, you are considered a "troublemaker" or "trying to have an argument"...and believe me it isnt relegated to the politics thread.

its okay to speak your mind, and trust me im all about freedom of speech....but one needs to speak to others in a way that doesnt come across as holier-than-thou...its very easy to agree to disagree and leave it at that.
================================
http://www.facebook.com/fortwynt
http://www.youtube.com/fortwynt

fortwynt

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

And then, of course, there seem to be certain topics around here that while arent necessarily taboo, are generally derailed right off the bat...any ideas what sort of topics im referring to? I'll let you figure that one out.

Stephen in AZ
Username: stephenm

Post Number: 2765
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

There have been some problems with some message board users, over the years, that have caused some people to leave, and some to be banned. And banning, while toning things down for the moment, has sometimes caused problems of its own, both because of questions as to whether a user should have been banned and because of some users leaving in protest over the banning. Not banning or otherwise dealing with what is perceived to be a problem has also caused some users to leave or at least not post.

Facebook and Twitter have probably reduced the number of posts here, and maybe texting of messages, and even YouTube, but some other things happened when the new Unknowncountry site was put in place that made a big difference.

One was the apparent installation of a different copy of the board software, which acted differently. All the threads and the topic areas are now always refreshed every time they are viewed, including the archives, whether they have changed or not, and copies of the threads are no longer kept in the temporary files folder, apparently because they are set to expire immediately. However, this is not the case with the list of topic areas, and that screen sometimes has trouble with showing updates, and there is the problem with the cookies not working right. There is the problem also, apparently related to the cookie problem, of the user name and password not being retained, which causes users to have to put them in again for each post (although in some cases browser or other software has saved the password, helping a little). The more trouble it is to post, or to see if updates have occurred, the less incentive there is to use the board.

There is also the new ability for subscribers to be able to comment directly on news stories and Whitley's Journal and Anne's Diary, which can remove the need to start threads about them here on the board. I think this has had a greater effect than people realize. And if people have been commenting to Whitley's Facebook postings, and whatever other places he posts, that also reduces the need for them to post here.

If a new board is put up, I hope it will be simple and uncomplicated, and not require a lot of memory or computing power, and will be something that can be easily used by older computers. We don't need to have the power of a full-fledged word processor. Look at how popular texting is, and people are just typing with their thumbs.

I don't think we need such things as nested comments or abbreviated comments with the user having to click on a link to see the rest of it. Whatever has been typed in to make a post (and even if nested posts are used), I hope that all will be displayed without having to take any other action, until reaching the end of the display and having to click a link for the next page of it, if a next page exists. Clicking on a link to see the rest of a post, or comments to a post, is just an aggravation.

I also hope that the new board will allow much greater numbers of threads than the current one, as many pages of them as necessary to accommodate all of them.

Stephen in AZ

Post Number: 2766
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I was writing my previous post while fortwynt was writing his, and my post should not be considered a response to his posts.

Steve DoD
Advanced Member
Username: stevedod

Post Number: 316
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 8:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

When I first logged to this web site there were thousands signed up but I remember asking where is everyone a long time ago. The reason people sign up is to learn, understand and question but what they found was attacks, laughter and ridicule. After that there are only appox 20 people who write all the time. People gave up.
Steve

Mama Shine

Post Number: 15012
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 8:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

There's a many a time I've
had my finger on the delete
button when I've been put down
and preached at. But a little
voice in my head sez
don't give 'em the satisfaction. Now I
best shut up and go eat before I say
what I really want to. lol

p.s. started to spell satisfaction in a way
that may have zapped me in the cornfield
so I thought twice yet again.

Steve DoD
Advanced Member

Post Number: 318
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 9:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mama Shine,
Never hit that delete button. I for one have always enjoyed your writings. As I know so many others also have. Staying strong is not always easy. But there are times when this must be what happens.
Take care my friend
Steve

animalspirits
Username: animalspiritstalstarcom

Post Number: 10383
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yes, I would love new software.

The topics do not show the last person that posted unless you refresh the whole thing and then sometimes that doesn't even work. It is tiresome and, I believe shows a need a more modern message board. If you aren't subscribing to get emails on all the new posts, you have a difficult time finding what has been posted. Some of you may not have noticed this problem, but I sure have and don't post here as often because of it.

Go have a look at the forum/message board over on Avelon and you will see what I mean. It shows all manner of things and gives people more options.

At some point this one is just going to stop working.

IMO, it is giving people a sense of the old and not necessarily the current...and for a message board that is never a good thing. People will move on to newer places.

With new beginnings come a dropping of the past and room is made for the wonders of the future which are rapidly coming.
Understand that all things are sacred--yet nothing is sacred. ~Yotee Coyote

Blog: http://animalspirits--withoutfear.blogspot.com

Jimmy
Username: chippyo

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

What we really need is a block so that posters can't copy & paste arguments in other people's words ... Oh and long song lyrics! OY VEY! LOL

Then all would be unicorns & rainbows!
"Don't take life to seriously;no one gets out alive."

Mama Shine

Post Number: 15013
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I think new software would be
fine.

mthood
Username: mthood

Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Message boards everywhere are slowly dwindling, almost exclusively because of social media sites. People are already there, and so they don't have to go anywhere else. Marketing and reaching out to new people is much easier on Facebook or twitter, simply because people are already there, so you go to where the people are.

Really, the arguments here were pretty tame compared to other places. Sure, you can take the high road all the time, but lets be honest, it's fun not to sometimes. Take a browse on reddit and see what you come up with. There's always a danger in posting opinions or viewpoints, and accepting that not everyone is going to agree with you. What would be helpful is an "ignore" options, available elsewhere. That means, if a post or individual who posts truly offend you, you can hit "ignore" and all of their posts disappear, so as to not to continue to offend the offended.

In the end, I had the view that Whitley's site was mainly for unknown/alien/ufo topics (which historically get very little posts here), and anything else (re: politics, religion, etc...) is a sideshow, not to be taken to seriously.

Sites like boingboing or dailygrail have no "message boards", only comments on articles and the option to create and submit user content. Maybe an interactive site like that would be a better step than trying to preserve a message board.

miaree9
Username: miaree9

Post Number: 4855
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 12:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Wolfshadow and mthood, so nice to see both of you!

fortwynt

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 9:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

absolutely, its nice to see both you folks back!

wolfshadow
Username: wolfshadow

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 9:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thanks miaree9 or as I always like to call you the oracle

Thank you Fort.

I know it's been awhile since I've been around.

mthood

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

well thanks fortwynt and miaree9. I'll try and behave myself this time, at least a little.

In regards to software, I guess I don't see the big deal about moving to another platform, and if you're going to do it, I would do it now while use is at it's ebb.

I suppose you have to ask what gives the best user experience. The main site already incorporates user comments within the stories and items posted by UC staff, why not open that up to people besides subscribers and add a platform for people to submit content. ala http://www.dailygrail.com/

Personally, I think that's the way to go, but I understand people like the simplicity of an old message board like this.

Obviously being able to embed content would be nice. I'm not sure why that was ever disabled to begin with.

Ryan
Advanced Member
Username: ryan

Post Number: 431
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 9:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I keep tabs on the board; waiting to read about contact starting up again.

I've written an amount over the years here with the feeling of sometimes preaching to the choir, and sometimes speaking to either an audience that can't relate, or to one who knows no more then I or who also lives and exists with their hands tied.

Just a long list of questions and unknowns that we all have and can't answer and can't get answers too.

Maybe make an attempt to make an audio archive in chronological order as best you can from the start till contact ceased in an attempt to find some meaning in it or trigger or release information that is locked away in your subconscious? Do more hypnosis sessions? Do one concerning the time you met the master of the key in an attempt to get more information? I've read that book many times. How was he going to help us not be "chained to the ground"?

As it is now. I exist, am currently existing, and I only exist. That is the extent of my existence. Progress is nil at this point.

sahgwa
Username: sahgwa

Post Number: 599
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

As someone in their twenties who still does not have a facebook account and does not use twitter, I would love to see this place continue to flourish. I have always operated in a textual and written word world, as a voracious reader and aspiring author, so message boards are a big part of my enjoyment of the internet.
That said, sometimes there is simply no news or new ideas for people to post so it stays quiet.
I think Stephens point on the commenting on the news pages directly leading to fewer posts here is correct.
But i love it here and wish more people were around and that no one felt like leaving! And the software is generally fine for me. Sometimes it is inaccurate on what is new and what isn't but that's about it.
Observation convinces me that there are beings of intelligence higher than human and that the only chance for mankind to advance as a whole is for individuals to make contact with such Beings.Crowley

lisa
Advanced Member
Username: thunderchicken

Post Number: 238
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 9:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Is there someway to integrate this board with Whitleys Fan Page on FAcebook? That way, if people are already on FAcebook they can easily post on the fan page. I know I find myself looking for the LIKE button on several posts - LOL!
The circle of life sure has some sharp edges!

rhetorician
Advanced Member
Username: rhetorician

Post Number: 435
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Since my awakening I have tried to express myself mainly about Whitley and William Henry as teachers that have brought me this far for now.

I think the problem is politics because politics reflect what is going on with our sick, dysfunctional, and failing Congress.
Joie de vivre

xretsim
Username: xretsim

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 5:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

>We would leave the old board as an
>archive, but the new one would obviously start
>from scratch, as we cannot get any response from
>our current provider, Parachat and their
>software is, obviously, a big part of the
>problem.

you don't have to start from scratch.

the vbulletin board software imports posts and members seamlessly from other bulletin board systems (including discus).

it's also really good. give it a try.

http://www.vbulletin.com/

susi
Username: etsi

Post Number: 5078
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 5:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

it may be hard to accomodate everyone's concerns or suggestions but the input is good.

personally this is my 2 cents:

*i'm a computer moron so i can't suggest anything about updating or changing the board. computer talk is greek to me.

the only thing about the physical board that annoys me is searching every thread to find a new post rather than in the past, new posts were lit up. it's also annoying because i have an ancient machine on it's death bed and it takes forever to go from one action to another so searching the threads alone is a pain in the butt. i know, my problem, not the boards.

*as far as improvements in the way people post or don't post; although there may be several other reasons contributing to why people leave, i still firmly adhere to the main reason being butt head posters who attack personally, slinging insults and snotty remarks. even if one isn't the object of the attack, it still creates a negative board. i've had past posters email me basically saying, 'i don't have to deal with this-enough is enough', and they delete their profile. it's ironic, even then you have posters attack that person for deleting their account! lol can't win for losing.

i wouldn't know, but it's possible this board has had more than one moderator, therefore each having different tolerant levels and different amounts of time to peruse the board. that can be handled simply by emailing the ba and directing them to the problem. this is a big board to monitor.

the focus of the ba should be whether the heat of the discussion is about topic or personal; as soon as a person starts insulting someone because they don't agree on something is the time they should get a warning. after that, temporary banning. after that, premanant banning.

*don't know if this would help the board, but it's just annoying:

posting whole stories or whole songs. save the space and post a link. those who are interested can click on it.

refer someone to so and so's post # rather than reprint their entire conversation.

perhaps before whit makes any changes, he'll bring them to the board so we can see them and perhaps have input.
sure you can trust the government....just ask an indian.

Steve DoD
Advanced Member

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 5:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Good post Susi,
Steve

susi

Post Number: 5081
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 5:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

ack! now that i complained about new posts not being highlighted, i see that they are! lol

Steve DoD
Advanced Member

Post Number: 322
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 5:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yeaaaa, the power of Susi :-)
Keep it up.

susi

Post Number: 5083
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 5:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

hehe i got my mojo workin'!

Steve DoD
Advanced Member

Post Number: 324
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It seems you do, now if we can just get that computer of yours working at warp speed life would be great. How's the snow there? None here, how odd.

susi

Post Number: 5084
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 5:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

monday i took my daughter and grandkids (from florida) up to mt lemmon. about a foot of snow and snowing. had a ball!

i live in the valley about 35 minutes from there, where it was cold and rainy but not freezing.

it's all in the altitude.

the locals say this heavy snow is early. weather's changing everywhere.

Steve DoD
Advanced Member

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 5:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I bet they had a blast. Ah to be young again. It was a good thing to take them there.
The weather is changing as it always does, ups and downs, sometimes it just seems odd, I wonder what 2012 will be like?

Steve DoD
Advanced Member

Post Number: 327
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 5:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Not being on here for awhile I have noticed that there are new people posting, that's great. I see most of the long term writers are still here plus a few have left.

allen
Username: eastsider01

Post Number: 2686
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 7:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I would love to see an ignore button, and highlighting of new posts. I come here almost every day and read the new postings. many times i don't post anything because I'm tired of the arguing and bickering that goes on. It seems there are those among us that see the world as black or white, with no shades of grey in between.

xretsim

Post Number: 1525
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 7:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

vbulletin has an "ignore" function, and hightlights new posts in several ways. you can also assign points to a post, and users can have a credibility rating.

such features are found on all "modern" boards, more or less. you can also have special sections for certain (paying?) members, or make them more privileged.

Stephen Tenacé
Username: manymansions2

Post Number: 1898
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 1:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thanks for bumping this Topic Forum to the top.

Personally, I am in total agreement with ManIn's post #667. In fact, I'm in agreement with all who have posted.

I had issues with how posts are designed and seemed pretty old school to me when I jumped on board in 2007/08. It stopped me from joining way back in 2001.

I have found that monitoring this message board tolerates quite a bit, and that's a great thing. I do have a problem with some usage of words such as, "azzess," and wouldn't mind that option taking a hike. We're all adults here. Those that have went over the top with ruthless attacks have been dealt with. As for the ignore button... I'm on the fence with that one. I like reading posted thoughts whether I agree or not. Subjects that don't interest me I ignore on my own, same with posters. I'd really like to see a "Conspiracy Thread." A few have left because when I see conspiracies I challenge them. Where's the "real proof?"

I'm all for a brand new Message Board.

"Fear is the Thief of Dreams" - unknown author "If you have a golf ball sized consciousness, you experience a golf ball size reality." - David Lynch

MintMMs
Username: mintmms

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 6:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I don't post as much as I used to, but I've been off and on this site for nearly 10 years. I'm all for updating the message board software.
"And so it begins...."
-Ambassador Kosh

Aquarius
Username: aquarius

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 2:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Too difficult to post on this board, limited to what you can do, hope you change it soon.

anna
Username: anna

Post Number: 3473
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2011 - 4:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'd like to see a newer type of software, that would allow video's to be embedded, photos easily posted. They would be nice feature, as well as photo avatars for members (people can post clip art) if they wish. More multimedia features would be nice. I find the whole visual look of the message board pages really boring. Just a list off the side. It's just getting old looking, beige and beige.

As far as "rules" go, I would ban people who routinely attack others, as sport, or as their job :-) You know who you are.

I would archive this site, a lot to gold mine here.

I would NOT link this to Whitley's "fan" page. Being a fan of his writing (which I am) can be much different that have strange experiences. Facebook is not the place for that IMO.
Energy-Creations.com

http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/

john
Advanced Member
Username: zentarantino

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2011 - 6:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Possible changes: abandon frames, they don't work on the Kindle, they don't seem used as much on web sites any more; use links to facebook, twitter etc., no need to re invent social media and I think they have ways of being used from other sites.

Sharon2
Username: sharon2468

Post Number: 4068
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 9:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I signed up in '04' and felt I had finally found a group of people with the same interests.

I agree with Animalspirits and Susi about not being able to find the latest posts. Whenever I would look at the main message page, the same names would appear for about a week (it seemed). So I wouldn't even bother to click on them.

It's a minor thing but it doesn't pull you in like it used to.

I still enjoy seeing my online friends and reading their posts even if I don't post that much anymore.

Happy New Year's Eve, Everyone! 2012 should be interesting!
Our life is determined by the choices we make!

susi

Post Number: 5135
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 9:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i just hope it doesn't get too technical.

remember and have pity on those of us (me) that are computer morons.

Stephen Tenacé
Username: manymansions2

Post Number: 1938
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 2:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I've been wanting to convey this for awhile.

ShirleyMacLaine.com's Message Board, they call it the Encounter Board, has always been fairly easy to use, the overall use of the entire website has become rather convoluted; but posted links with pictures appear, icons are more appealing to the eye... there's a list of good things about posting with the software they have used. Their 'search' is easier therefore, finding topics of old, subjects archived since their conception, are a breeze to find and are easily bumped back into current conversations.

With that type of system and how this Administration observes and monitors our conversations; UnknownCountry's website could easily be back to number 1 in paranormal discussions.

That's my nickels worth!

"Fear is the Thief of Dreams" - unknown author "If you have a golf ball sized consciousness, you experience a golf ball size reality." - David Lynch

Mama Shine

Post Number: 15139
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 6:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Whats with the "new" thing? I thought
someone said it was fixed but the other
morning nearly every thread was
and I wondered so when I clicked on some were
even 2 days before the day I was in and showed
up new. Now I still have to 'refresh' a couple
times after I make a post for it to show up.
If I miss responding to someones post its because its hard to wade though every thread wondering if anything new is there. If this is just happening to me then ignore my whining and I will just deal with it.

Thank you.

Steve DoD
Advanced Member

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 7:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm testing it for you Mama Shine.

So far my posts have showed up ok in two diff areas. Your post came in fine and you name showed up ok as a new post.

Keeping my fingers crossed all will be ok.
Steve

Jeremy
Username: jolly_lama

Post Number: 955
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 1:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's sad to think that posting is down. I'm sure it's mostly because of Facebook. Probably more people follow you, Whitley, on Facebook and post there--but I hope the board keeps going strong. Although I don't post here every day, I check the website about every day and read other posts and love it.

I've also been attacked here on this board quite a bit and even threatened subtly over the years--and I'm sure there are elements here that are part of the coverup/harassment folks, and I agree, they are probably chasing people away. Still, I wouldn't get too strict with the posting rules. Maybe there could be a complaint button on each page that contacts the Administrator and people could get a friendly warning to play nice.

Here's a suggestion to increase posting:

You could have a notice on the landing page that says when new posts have been made, and under which heading--and this could update automatically. It's a lot to sift through every page to see "New" posts, and it's the new posts/responses that people are looking for usually. You could have links that take you directly to these posts.
I believe in the fundamental truth of all great religions of the world.

-- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Second Wind

Post Number: 5927
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 7:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Nice post and good suggestions, Jeremy.

As for looking for new posts, if one does not want to get individual emails of new posts, then one can simply come to the board, and click on "Last Day" or "Last Week" under "Topics" on the left. Any new posts will show up in each category that has new posts. I use that feature for the topics that I did not choose to get emails for.

Still, I do like your suggestions, both for new posts, and for "complaints".

Jeremy

Post Number: 956
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 6:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thanks, Second Wind!...I've been looking at this website since the late 90s and this is the first time I've noticed this feature....hahaha!

That really helps actually. Maybe this could be on the landing page in some form or another, especially since the functionality is already there! :-)

-- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Second Wind

Post Number: 5929
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 8:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi, Jeremy!

I feel kinda dumb, because I had to google "Landing Page"!!!

I now know that it is similar to "storefront".

I have the link below (the message board index) saved in my favorites. I always go to this page first, and if I want to go to the UC home page, then I click on the UC LOGO in the top left.

http://www.unknowncountry.com/board/index.html

But I agree with you that for those who go to the UC home page first, it WOULD be good to have a notice there linking directly to "Last Day", or "New Posts".

Anyway, I am glad I posted again about the "Last Day" and "Last Week" links on the board index page, and I am glad you find it useful, as well!

Second Wind

Post Number: 5930
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 8:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I also want to comment, FWIW, that Xretsim has mentioned twice what seems like a really good option for a new board.

I have been on several boards using vbulletin, and they are very user-friendly. The only one I have posted on was a DIY board for HVAC issues.....(go figure???), but it was super easy to use and had great features.

Anyway, just wanted to give a shout out about Xretsim's suggestions!

(And to you, sir.....may I please refer to you as MrX in the future? Talk about "easier"!!!)

allen

Post Number: 2729
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 9:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Second wind, I too, was completely unaware of these options. They do work really well. Thanks for the tip!
The intuitive mind is a gift and the rational mind a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift

Albert Einstein

Second Wind

Post Number: 5933
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Jeremy

Post Number: 957
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Funny Second Wind. You're right. When I said landing page, I meant the homepage, or the main page, or whatever the Unknowncountry main screen is called. This page:

http://www.unknowncountry.com/

hahaha!

It would be helpful to have Message Board updates, with links to new posts, on this page :-).

-- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Second Wind

Post Number: 5938
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 2:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Will Bueche
Advanced Member
Username: willb

Post Number: 494
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Some boards let you mark a comment as thumbs up or thumbs down, and then that comment will be hidden if many people have marked it down. Usually the comment can be seen if you click to unhide it.

Granted, that marking system can be abused - Amazon's forums are horrible because mean people mark any comment they disagree with as unhelpful - but with some tweaking (hiding the number of thumbs down until it reaches a significant amount, perhaps), that concept can work.

It is designed to automatically hide any comment that received more than x-amount of unhelpfuls, thereby making moderation less necessary.

Will Bueche
Advanced Member
Username: willb

Post Number: 496
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 5:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Maybe a reason why board activity is down is that it is hard to find a link to it from the front page.

Buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 4879
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 8:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

some time ago posters were banned
so the subject matter and the
followers dwindled and the friends
of those posters also left..
I'm just guessing
OKAY

Steve DoD
Advanced Member

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 9:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

At one time there were thousands signed up on this site. Now no where near that number. Why? It is kind of easy to figure out. Even with the number that is still signed up only appox 20 write all the time. Most people signed up to learn, to understand, what they did not understand or know but what they received was hits, punches, no knowledge, no forward thinking, no answers. People moved on. This was very easy to see and realize what happened. This is a very good site for friends to write to each other about a wide range of topics. which is really good because a lot of good information that people could use on a daily basis is here, but it is no longer a learning site of the unknown the unexplained. With that said, does the board need changed? Or is it time to really start questioning, learning and understanding the unknown here?

Second Wind

Post Number: 5973
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 9:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mama Shine

Post Number: 15184
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I second SW's

NATiVE ALiEN
Username: blue_screen

Post Number: 4396
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Most people signed up to learn, to understand, what they did not understand or know but what they received was hits, punches, no knowledge, no forward thinking, no answers.

isn't that the master plan Steve DoD?
"This gets me to a question that returns to my mind practically every day of my life: what are the visitors?"

Whitley Strieber

Steve DoD
Advanced Member

Post Number: 338
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 7:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi my long lost NATiVE ALiEN,
It is always good to hear from you. Truly.

The master plan is not this, but I will agree with you that this does happen, but it is not a plan it is a fact of humanity. People have always beat down the people that have a different thought, feeling, view then the main stream and I can say it is not a plan it is what people do. The sad part is we sit back and let it happen and we do not need to do anything. You do it to yourselves. There is so much more that can be said but I know you, NATiVE, understand what I am trying to pass on. Learn.
Steve

NATiVE ALiEN

Post Number: 4397
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 7:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

People have always beat down the people that have a different thought, feeling, view then the main stream and I can say it is not a plan it is what people do.

i agree and i consider that kinda behavior as extraordinarily bizarre ...and i'm being kind...its illogical and smacks of mind control.
"This gets me to a question that returns to my mind practically every day of my life: what are the visitors?"

Whitley Strieber

David W. Chace
Username: david_w_chace

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 5:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I bump some of my favorite the old threads to keep the archive alive. I occasionally need to refer an experiencer to past discussions here to see that he/she is not alone in having had such-and-such an experience. When threads drop off the current board I don't know where they go or how to access them. Board software that would keep its own archives alive and searchable would be useful. Seemingly obscure experiences like time travel and time slips may be important later on, especially if contact increases.

David W. Chace
Username: david_w_chace

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 5:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

And I think stricter posting rules as far as "stop attacking each other" would be useless, because people are people, and enforcement would be a pain. I met Kenny Bakeman at John Rhodes' reptoids.com discussion forum back in the nineties, and after that I figure the forum had served its purpose. John eventually had to shut down that part of the site, because the arguments and personal attacks got out of hand. So far this board hasn't gotten that bad. One just has to accept that in order for people to have a certain degree of freedom and ease of use, a certain amount of bad behavior will have to be tolerated as well.

I don't see any way around human nature. If there was an easy solution to this problem, perhaps war would be a thing of the past, and the visitors wouldn't feel the need to be so secretive. :-)

Buddie

Post Number: 4892
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 8:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

There is far worst war play
going on at my work place
than is going on in here..

The SOURCE..they just FLOAT
to the surface again and
AGAIN..

NATiVE ALiEN

Post Number: 4406
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 7:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

its not time for a new board...its time we all get aboard.

Now departing for Unknown Country...Climb aboard... no passports or slick techno gimmicks necessary.

Whitley Strieber

Buddie

Post Number: 4907
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 8:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I agree with No need For
a New Board..Sure it might
seem like 72% of posters
would prefer it if things
could go right just this
one time without something
inevitably coming along and
screwing everything up.
The remaining 28% agreed that
everything was just fine..
and wonder why would this even
be a question someone would ask
in the first place?

Gruvkitty
Intermediate Member
Username: rega

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I think a new updated board would be good. This one feels a bit clunky, and it can be tough to find comments, as some have mentioned. I think people will move on to other places if this gets too "out-of-date" feeling. I also agree that we should embrace the new and roll with the newer technology. I'm not sure why so many seem fearful of letting go of this one. I'm assuming it can all be archived and saved or some such thing - right?

I say go for it. It's my experience that in general folks resist change, but once it's done, they embrace it.
"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Ben Franklin

bean

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm kinda of the opinion of....if it aint broke...don't fix it.

I don't have a problem with the set up of this board at all.

we are here to discuss...bells and whistles are not gunna make for better talking.

animalspirits

Post Number: 10501
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Here's my suggestion:

Make this board "read only." That way all of the previous content is preserved.

Create a new, more modern message board that is easier to post to.

It should not be hard to transfer all of the registered posters from the old board to the new one.

It would make for a fresh start for 2012.

Blog: http://animalspirits--withoutfear.blogspot.com

bean

Post Number: 1961
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

How will making a more modern board easier to post to.
this one is pretty darn easy!

Second Wind

Post Number: 6005
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 2:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

As I have stated before, I feel the same as Bean.

The technical aspects of the board are just NOT an issue for me. I have NO inconvenience or difficulty with it whatsoever. That aspect of this board is the LEAST of the problems associated with posting here.

skeptic tank
Intermediate Member
Username: skeptic_tank

Post Number: 162
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 4:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

This is literally the first time I've posted on the board in years. (My loss in interest in the site isn't due to any problem I've had with the site or board. My life just got kind of screwed up.)

There is one reason and one reason only that I absolutely insist that a new board happen. The current board does not save threads that get pushed off the bottom of the board. That has always bothered me a lot. There were conversations I took part in that are gone forever because of this. And when I was active on this site and participating in a thread, in the back of my mind was always the thought, "These words are only temporary. After I type them, they will eventually be lost as well."

Even if everything else is kept the same, please make it so old threads are archived like other boards do.

Sharon2

Post Number: 4114
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi Skeptic tank! I remember you... because I always loved your name! I hope your life is better now. It can be a 'beach' some times.

I have saved pages from threads that I like and post to. My biggest complaint is that the main page does NOT show the latest posters. But I click on them anyway and am surprised when there has been activity.

It's good to 'see' you again!

skeptic tank
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 3:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi Sharon. Things are slightly better now, thanks for asking. It's nice to be "recognized," especially when I didn't participate in as many discussions as some did. (You didn't used to have a "2" in your name, I don't think.) I remember there used to be a great poster, Thomas. I guess he's not around anymore?

(Message edited by skeptic tank on February 19, 2012)

Sharon2

Post Number: 4115
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 8:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Skeptic T, I used to go by Sharon2468 but there was another Sharon with no number. She doesn't post very often.

Thomas left suddenly after saying goodbye. I think most of us were sad to see him go.

It's been pretty quiet around here, lately.

Tashina
Username: tashina

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sometimes change is good. A new board would be great, archive this board and start everyone from 0.

Steve DoD
Advanced Member

Post Number: 339
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 4:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I agree with you Tashina, perhaps starting fresh is a good idea. Food for thought.

karl
Username: karlk

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

quote:

you don't have to start from scratch.

the vbulletin board software imports posts and members seamlessly from other bulletin board systems (including discus).

it's also really good. give it a try.

http://www.vbulletin.com/

If vbulletin imports discus, then I'd try that first. I've used vbulletin before, and it works well. It's still actively developed and security and other updates released when needed. And if importing works that's a big plus.

Buddie

Post Number: 4927
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2012 - 8:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Whitley B/M
I hope the new Board has page
numbers..when I post I'm never
sure what page people are on..
mostly I'm not sure what page
I'm on..so Then we (I) could
just check the top corner of our (my)
post to find out..
Page Numbers only in UC

(Message edited by buddie on February 24, 2012)

NATiVE ALiEN

Post Number: 4469
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 7:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Whitley's silence is deafening...is the end near?

Whitley Strieber

susi

Post Number: 5280
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2012 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

no, the end is not near.

just change. no ending.

Tashina
Username: tashina

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2012 - 1:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's not an ending , it's a new beginning. We'll all enjoy the new board.

Ldyhawk369
Username: ldyhawk369

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2012 - 7:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The only thing I wish could be fixed is that new posts could be found more easily, without having to search through everything. That was the way it was before and would be wonderful to have again. I enjoy the variety of subjects. I know this a place to come to when something unexplainable happens and Not be afraid to discuss it. To me this place feels like the bar in Cheers, where everyone knows your name lol.

Buddie

Post Number: 4970
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I have no complaints at all really..
I see all new posts and everything
runs smoothly from my end.. I'm all
for new though.. it always takes time
for these things to unfold and even
when its up and running we are bound
to still have difficulties working
out the kinks.. that being said read
Ldyhawk369 post and what she said ..
we are all here and I'm sure we will
help each other adjust..

Second Wind

Post Number: 6071
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2012 - 2:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ldyhawk369,

Regarding being able to see new posts easily and quickly, please look up above in this thread to my post #5927.

I hope it helps you. There were others who did not realize this simple option is there!!

---------

Just in case any of you have not already done so....IF there are posts, or threads, anywhere here on the board that matter to you, I suggest that you start NOW to copy these things to your computer. I have been doing this almost from the beginning of my time here, back in 2006.

Yes, it's time consuming, but if it matters to you, it's worth the time.

I cannot tell you how many times I have gone back and re-read archived threads, and I am always amazed and so glad that these archives exist.

But I, like several others, have always known that there is a good chance the archives won't always be here.

And with the supposed change coming in June, who knows if they have firmly decided to either keep this board for the archives, or to use a new software (like what xretsim suggested) that will allow for ALL of the contents of the board to be moved over to a new one.

Save what matters to you on your computer or onto removable storage. Better to have it, and rarely use it, than to wish to use it, and have no access to it.

skeptic tank
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 7:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

PLEASE make sure that the new board can accomodate (and save) as many threads as people create. I just remembered another reason why I hate that the current board just seems to make threads disappear as soon as they scroll off the bottom of the page ... It actually inhibited me from creating new topics. Yes, I think this board's trait of making all "old" threads disappear actually inhibited conversation.

Jeremy

Post Number: 964
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 8:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I like that idea, skeptic. The board should archive all of the posts so they can be accessed.
I would love to be able to read my early posts from almost ten years ago (probably not possible now, unless these are saved somewhere).

I also remember in the early days there was a "like" button with a 5 star rating system for posts. This could be brought back. It was kind of fun. At the very least, maybe the colors could be changed to match the rest of the site, like light blue.

Also, just curious, how much has user-ship declined? Can the board administrator post some percentages?

-- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Buddie

Post Number: 5011
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 2:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Jeremy asked ?
Also, just curious, how much has user-ship declined? Can the board administrator post some percentages?

I would like to know this also?

Lets not dump all of UC into one
basket..we could Actually be the Future :-)

Jeremy

Post Number: 968
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 5:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

If this is personal, no biggie :-)...I was just curious. And I hope the site itself is doing okay. I honestly look at it every single day. There is no other website like it on the internet, even after all these years.

-- Mohandas K. Gandhi

Yobbos1
Username: yobbos1

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 6:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Look at my join date and my post count. I never could stand this software. I come here often but posting is such a pain I generally don't bother, shame, this is one of the best resources on the net.
-"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
None but ourselves can free our minds."
Bob Marley

Second Wind

Post Number: 6094
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 2:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sorry, Yobbos, but it is my opinion that you are way too hard to please, and maybe even a bit lazy, if you find posting here "a pain".

Or, perhaps there are other reasons you have posted so little, and yet, here you are now......

JMO.

skeptic tank
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 168
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm just itching to post a long thread about why I think the aliens are basically evil. (If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck ...) And that people's deification of them come from a wholly irrational place--the tendency of all beings to project their own assumptions and hopes onto those that are more powerful than them--even if it forms one hell of a cognitive dissonance.

But then I remember that these forums can only hold a handful of posts, and I am reluctant to push off a thread into permanent oblivion.

Buddie

Post Number: 5055
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 9:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Go for it
I'll File your post I still
have a few neurons left :-)

blue
Username: jennyblue

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2012 - 7:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i love you guys :-) change is good, i keep telling myself (and then I have an experience like yesterday's saga about a new mop and me just wanting to wash the bathroom floor) . . . but i digress . . . its hard for me to imagine that our board community can survive to be quite the same with a new board. I will miss the way it is (for better and for worse). I just wanted to say that. Think I will paste and copy this to The Pond. I hope no one minds.
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Hopi Elders 2001.

to be a rock and still to roll . . .
change we can believe in is here -- The Ed Show
Love is the Way ~ Jesus of Nazareth

Mab
Username: mab

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The archive thing was always kind of ominous to me and made me think twice about adding my personal comments, now that it's been mentioned to archive the old board.

Also think avatars are kind of cool on message boards. I would maybe not say anything at all but this is the only alienish sort of board I ever participate in.

I'm back from Hawai'i. Turned out to be a wrong move. It is as bad as they say, regarding the meth and the racism. Anyway... sobering, nonetheless.

Incidentally, left "The Key" there, on the fictional farm I was supposed to living on.

Cheers, all.
http://riv3t.tumblr.com/

allen

Post Number: 2931
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 1:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mab, what island?
The intuitive mind is a gift and the rational mind a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift

Albert Einstein

Cook
Username: cook

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It would be good to be able to upload larger photos to the profile page. It seems hard to believe that 125 X 125 pixels is the maximum size.

Buddie

Post Number: 5197
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2012 - 3:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi Cook .. welcome
yes that bugs me too

Whitley Strieber

Post Number: 841
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

If we move to new software, we have to completely abandon this board. The company that produces it has not kept up with the times, and they are really being killed by FaceBook. My worry is that a new board will not get the level of participation that this one has. Also, we lose our entire archive. Of course, we'd keep the software running so that people would have access to the archive, but it's a real quandary.

I can't find board software that's all that much better, either. The entire field has been hit by FaceBook, not just this board. We are actually one of the more active ones around, because of all the people who participate in the site.

I've been distracted by FB, too, and have not kept up my participation here. And yet, this is far more satisfying. So what I'm going to do is three things: first, I'm coming here more often than I go to FB. Second, I'm going to try to get my FB audience to move here. Third, we're going to start advertising this board.

It is an extraordinary place with a long tradition of excellence. I want it to stay that way, and to grow rather than decline.

susi

Post Number: 5441
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 3:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i like this board the way it is. :-)

the only thing that would make it perfect is if new posts were signified by 'NEW' so i don't have to open every thread.

Ldyhawk369
Username: ldyhawk369

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ditto, see above post!

Buddie

Post Number: 5207
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Dear Whitley..
I was being fecetious
with Cook..I have NEVER
put my photo online so it
is NOT a BOTHER

my system still gets the
so I just refresh..I don't like change

Cook

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 9:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's just that I wanted to put up such a good picture I had of a scan I did of a postcard about Hanging Rock. 125 X 125 is incredibly small. It seems more appropriate to go by file size rather than picture size. The software must be coded for picture size on the HTML pages, as well as being for a small database I'm assuming. The software could still force the display size to something specific on the HTML page. That's enough from me.

animalspirits

Post Number: 10690
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 9:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It can be a pain, but I sure don't want to lose all the archived posts for so many years.

I guess the best thing is to keep this one running for as long as it will.

Blog: animalspirits--withoutfear.blogspot.com

Steve DoD
Advanced Member

Post Number: 340
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Of course this board is not going to change. Anyone with advanced computer knowledge would have known that if this board was to be changed it would and could have been done months and months ago. But it is cheaper/easier to leave it as is and just move on. Which is what is going to happen. But it was great reading everyone's ideas for updates and changes. There were great ideas but this is not the time or program to change. All past archived writings will be there as long as no hick up happens to the program.

animalspirits

Post Number: 10691
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Steve,

That is my concern...the giant, fatal hiccup...and we all just disappear.

animalspirits

Post Number: 10692
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Whitley,

You do keep this site backed up I hope?

That way you want put it up again in case something really bad happens.

Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2012 - 1:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The site is backed up, yes.

Second Wind

Post Number: 6330
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2012 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Dear BA:

Would you mind commenting on what Steve DoD posted in his post #340 above?

Is what he posted correct?

Is this board going to suddenly disappear? I'd like to know ahead of time, since I am a paid subscriber, on automatic renewal.

Heinrich Moltke
Intermediate Member
Username: heinrich

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 6:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I've been a bit confused on the issue of whether to update the board here -- that it's even an issue. In fact, that this broken board has gone for so long is unique in my online experience.

First off, I don't think it's necessarily accurate to say use of this board has dropped off mainly because of Facebook and Twitter. I suspect if it has dropped off it is mainly because it is broken. For one, Facebook and Twitter are very different venues than a discussion board rooted on a site. They offer much less room to express thoughts. On Twitter you only get 140 characters. On Facebook you have to expand comments to view them: this is a chore, and along with other reasons, means comments are usually just one or two sentences long.

Second, the group that follows Whitley on Facebook doesn't perfectly overlap with the group that is signed up to participate on this board. In fact, I would bet they are even mostly different. So it is not as if those who posted here in the past now choose to post on Whitley's Facebook page instead.

Third, the archive argument mentioned here again and again doesn't make sense to me. Old threads, once they get pushed off the front page here, disappear forever. At least, there is no way for ordinary users to go back and look at them. Likewise, a couple weeks ago I tried to search for an old post of mine. It was impossible. Somewhere between a half and a third of my old posts are accessible by search. The rest are not. So: archive of what?

I have seen plenty of sites that are less popular and less commercially viable maintain (and upgrade) discussion boards with success. So again, what's the issue? If it is not a priority because the discussion board is not a revenue stream, fine. But there shouldn't be any great 'debate' about what to do. Replace it or get rid of it altogether.

animalspirits

Post Number: 10703
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 9:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

HM,

I totally agree with you.

Board Administrator
Board Administrator

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 8:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

This board cannot be changed. The software is fixed in stone. As the world of social media came along, the developers were left behind, and the board software is not going to be updated by them anytime soon.

To make a change, Steve DoD, we have to deploy new software from a different company. We would then freeze this board, and leave it as read-only for a time, as we migrated to the new board. But we would not be able to move your accounts. You would have to start new accounts of the new board.

Whitley will be glad to do this. He's wanted to ever since the new site was finished, and, in fact, planned to at that time. But then we got so many emails protesting this--many of them very nasty in tone, to be frank--he just went on to other things.

I know that Whitley prefers the board to FB, but he has been really upset by the way certain users on the board snipe at people, but never go far enough to violate our posting rules. They aren't trolls. They're just mean. So he has a tendency to minimize his time here. In that, he's no different from many others. There is one poster alone who has probably driven away at least twenty formerly active members. But never by egregious posting, just by being a charmless know-it-all. So what am I supposed to do? Ban this person for being an unpleasant human being?

In any case, I will bring up moving to new software with him again.

Gruvkitty
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Personally, I think "banning for being an unpleasant, charmless, know-it-all" is completely okay. Seriously, if there's someone who consistently drives away others, then why shouldn't they be "politely asked to leave the site"?

I know people will complain and complain and complain if a change is made- just look at all the hand-wringing that goes on over at FB when they make a change. I know I grumble for a few days, but eventually, we all adjust and get on with it. If it needs to be done, then why wait? The only constant is change.
"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Ben Franklin

Second Wind

Post Number: 6366
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 1:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Finally, it dawned on me that the Message Board is not tied to the UC website.

"Freezing" this board during the transfer to a new board, is a whole separate issue from our status as paid subscribers to UC.

Right??????

Second Wind

Post Number: 6367
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 1:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

"Personally, I think "banning for being an unpleasant, charmless, know-it-all" is completely okay. Seriously, if there's someone who consistently drives away others, then why shouldn't they be "politely asked to leave the site"?"

I agree. And I think that has happened.....even, just recently.

However, there have also been unjust bannings......

But, nobody ever said that life was fair.

Second Wind

Post Number: 6368
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 1:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

"I know that Whitley prefers the board to FB, but he has been really upset by the way certain users on the board snipe at people, but never go far enough to violate our posting rules. They aren't trolls. They're just mean.
There is one poster alone who has probably driven away at least twenty formerly active members. But never by egregious posting, just by being a charmless know-it-all. So what am I supposed to do? Ban this person for being an unpleasant human being?"

That is worded as if the posters you are referring to are still here and active on the board. ARE THEY?

In my opinion, anyone who fits that description, or even comes close, should be given a private FIRST warning by Whitley or Admin, with SPECIFIC references to offending posts.

If they persist in being mean, they should be given a SECOND direct and PUBLIC warning following a "sniping, mean" post.

If they persist, then they should be banned, and the BA or Whitley should make a post announcing the ban, and explaining why.

(I could be wrong, but since I joined the board in early 2006, I can only remember ONE instance when either the BA, or Whitley, have posted about someone being banned, and why.)

New software with a "report this post" button would help the BA to make such decisions.

JMO.

(Message edited by second_wind on May 16, 2012)

karl
Username: karlk

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 5:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

In case you're considering vBulletin here are the systems it can import:

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_tiershttps://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_tiers

Here's what the tier levels are:

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_systemshttps://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_systems

(Message edited by karlk on May 16, 2012)

Heinrich Moltke
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 6:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well, is the problem new software, losing the not-such-an-archive, or one crappy forum participant?

vBulletin was mentioned above. But phpBB is a free alternative that gets a lot of use. The "Binnall of America" podcast where Whitley was interviewed not long ago fronts a phpBB forum that seems robust enough.

http://www.theusofe.com/

I think it's important for people not to underestimate the trouble of implementing a new board. It isn't a wave-a-magic-wand affair. Every board software has its own thick user manual on how to admin it which must be learned and mastered. -- This, after just getting the board off the ground, which involves a lot of man-hours. Man-hours mean pay and a lot of investment.

But by the same token, it's what websites do. If UC.com is committed to having a board, for whatever combination of reasons, it can and should be done. Spending nearly two years in the head-scratching phase doesn't make any sense.

phpBB also apparently has Facebook and Twitter integration, so concerns about social media might be eased -- they might even be used to boost participation here on the board.

Re: disruption on the board. This board has crazies like other boards, along with its fair share of histrionics. You're stuck between the rock of mob rule and the hard place of forum guidelines when it comes to booting somebody out. Still, this is the cost of doing business when you have a forum open to the public. Especially when it comes to the topic of UFOs and abductions, which draws the crazies out of the woodwork. Either assert the (tyrannical) right to remove anybody from the board at any time (some boards do) or perhaps make the board subscriber-only, which may have the desired effect. Bullies are a problem, but it's also true that everybody can't be a sensitive plant. Anyway, this is a problem without a real solution other than not to have a board, which is a bit like cutting off the nose to spite the face.

(Message edited by heinrich on May 16, 2012)

xretsim

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 6:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

online converting service: http://gconverter.com/discusware-to-phpbb/

Second Wind

Post Number: 6373
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 6:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

To Whitley, the BA, and Heinrich.......anyone else who has an opinion about moderating behavior on the board:

I would like to ask you all point blank, if you can tell me if you see anything negative in the suggestions I made above in my post 6368?

If anyone thinks they are not reasonable suggestions, 'd like to know why you think they would not work.

(It would also be nice if anyone who thinks they were reasonable suggestions, would say so.)

Thank you.

Mama Shine

Post Number: 15590
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 7:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

SW,

I think your post 6368 offered
reasonable suggestions.

Thank you.

Stephen in AZ

Post Number: 2832
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 7:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

First, I would like to say that the threads and user profiles from the present board should be converted, as much as possible, to the new board. Some users have already reported here on other board software that can make whole or partial conversions. Even if the conversion is not to a type of board that the management here wants to use, perhaps it can be considered an intermediate step, and the converted files can then be converted again to the desired board format.

To take a message board that is already in sharp decline, and then present the remaining posters with an unfamiliar board, containing little or no threads, and little or no users to talk to, and then force them to actually re-register, is one of the most unfriendly ways to do it.

Second Wind,

To some extent a lot of what you have suggested has been done at times, though not consistently.

Sometimes in the past the BA has stated that such-and-such user has been banned. And sometimes the BA has stepped into conversations, warning the users to tone it down.

Sometimes Whitley has personally stepped in. He made several posts, at various times, about the banning of onesmartrat (the banning itself occurred in 2004), and onesmartrat was warned more than once to tone it down, by him or the BA, before she was finally banned, for inappropriate remarks made on a thread mourning the loss of John Mack.

A lot of the time though, it's other users who report that the offending user has been banned. They evidently get their information from the BA emailing them about it, in response to a complaining email of theirs, or perhaps they got it from a friend who made the complaint. Alternatively, they may have simply checked to see if the user's profile still existed, though not all bannings have resulted in the removal of the profile.

It should be noted that a private warning to a user would, by its nature, not be known to other members of the board, unless that user decided to communicate it on his or her own. Thus, even if the user was warned, it may appear to the rest of the board that nothing was being done about the user, since they would not know of the warning. I suspect, though, that this situation has already existed, and has for a long time, though some users have disobeyed the rules to such a degree that there was apparently no warning, just the banning.

Should the board always be publicly informed of a banning and the reason for it? Well, in many cases the reason is pretty evident. In some cases saying more about it might be viewed as public humiliation, and overkill. However, in some cases, due to specific circumstances, giving specific reasons might be necessary, so that the situation is fully understood by everyone.

Have the rules been enforced consistently? Almost certainly not. But few rules are. And when you try to, there comes the danger of zero tolerance, and all the nonsensical things that have come from that. But without some degree of consistency, the issue of fairness comes to mind. I would hope that some mechanism might be in place for a user to protest what that user perceives as an unfair banning.

Should users have an option to report specific posts? Some software allows this. A danger exists, though, that it will simply be used to harass specific users. Some kind of rule would have to be put in place to handle that, with banning as the ultimate solution for users who consistently misused it in this way.

animalspirits

Post Number: 10708
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 9:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

...my 2 cents worth. Use it if it helps you, disregard it if it does not..no worries from me.

People posting here need to understand that not everything posted in disagreement with them is not a personal attack.

Not much of real substance is being posted anymore as others have moved to better boards or FB.

In the end, this board will die as newcomers realize that there is little new substance being posted, especially by experiencers/contactees...which is where the action is right now.

Fear is a path stopper and the sooner one is able to climb out of that box, the faster they move.

Second Wind

Post Number: 6379
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 11:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mama Shine, thank you for coming forward!

---------------

Stephen, thank you, as well, for your input, and for addressing my questions.

You said:

"It should be noted that a private warning to a user would, by its nature, not be known to other members of the board, unless that user decided to communicate it on his or her own. Thus, even if the user was warned, it may appear to the rest of the board that nothing was being done about the user, since they would not know of the warning."

I understand and agree, and also agree that just that very scenario has taken place in the past.

That is why I suggested that the second warning be public.

In other words, when a poster is hateful or disrespectful to others, they should be reported with a copy or link to the offending post or actions. Once the BA has been alerted, then the poster should be warned privately, and pointed to the offending word/actions.

If the offender repeats the behaviors, they should again be reported in the same way, and then the BA should warn them puplicly, IN the thread with the offending post, if applicable, and point out the offending words/actions that prompted the complaint and the warning.

If it happens a third time, it should again be specifically reported, and the user should then be banned.

I also think that when a poster is warned and/or banned, the BA should make a post to that effect in an archived thread devoted to that purpose. It could be called very simply and directly, "Warnings/Bannings". That way, there would be a clear history of any actions taken by BA.

I don't believe that a system of reporting has to have as a consequence, the system being used just to harass specific users. In fact, the system is being suggested as a way to LESSEN the harassment of users who are being bullied.

You know, it seems to me that, too often, supposed "adults" are just big children, and trying to moderate a message board is a lot like trying to run a kindergarten, or to be a chairperson on a committee, or manage a group of employees.

If the children/committee members/employees are not all held to the same standards, and expected to follow the same set of CLEAR rules, then the atmosphere and function of the group will suffer, and usually, INNOCENTS suffer while the guilty go unpunished.

And if they are not all held accountable for breaking the rules, and if the rules are not consistently and fairly enforced, then there will be MUCH stress and strife and petty arguing and hissy fits, and good and fair-minded people will leave the groups, or just become discouraged and disinterested.....or worse, because oftentimes, when someone experiences bullying for too long, they end up resorting to bullying behavior.

-----------

One more issue that the BA brought up above, I want to comment on.

BA, you said:

There is one poster alone who has probably driven away at least twenty formerly active members. But never by egregious posting, just by being a charmless know-it-all. So what am I supposed to do? Ban this person for being an unpleasant human being?"

Well, since we have no context with which to evaluate your characterizations of this "one poser", it's impossible to evaluate.

However, I will say that your terms "charmless know-it-all" and "unpleasant individual" sound like expressions of your own opinion of this "one poster".

And even if you were to NAME this "one poster", I would bet a small amount of money that this poster you also has supporters on the board. Your characterization of this poster would probably not be agreed upon by all other posters.

So, no, you should not ban a person because of anyone's opinion about their personality, yours or anyone else's.

However, if that "charmless, unpleasant know-it-all" poster you refer to is hateful, sarcastic, and dismissive of other posters, then that SHOULD be considered a bannable offense.

We might not be able write a concise definition of "hateful, sarcastic and dismissive", but I know it when I see it. I know that any reasonable person does, as well. And if I were a moderator, there are at least 3 posters I can think of that would have been banned a long time ago.

Finally, I have no doubt that there are some posters here now, and in the past, who consider me to be a "charmless know-it-all", and/or an "unpleasant human being".

But I, too, have my supporters on the board. Some support me on the threads, and many have supported me privately, because they have not wanted to put themselves in the line of fire (of certain posters) by supporting me on threads.

More importantly, I have rarely, IF EVER, been deliberately cruel, insulting or dismissive of anyone.

The closest I have ever come to that on the board, was to say that I thought someone was behaving in a certain way just for attention. That was a long time ago, and I do regret posting that.

I go out of my way to think before I post, and to ask myself how what I might say will make someone else feel. If I can do that, and if certain other posters I can think of, can do that, then all posters should be able to do the same.

Those who cannot, should have to face warnings and banning.

Second Wind

Post Number: 6380
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

"People posting here need to understand that not everything posted in disagreement with them is not a personal attack."

In response to that, I will repeat what I said above:

We might not be able write a concise definition of "hateful, sarcastic and dismissive", but I know it when I see it. I know that any reasonable person does, as well. And if I were a moderator, there are at least 3 posters I can think of that would have been banned a long time ago.

"Not much of real substance is being posted anymore as others have moved to better boards or FB."

That is another example of an opinion being stated as fact.

I don't doubt that there is "not much" being posted that is of interest to you, and perhaps some others, or that you consider "not much" that is being posted to be of "real substance".

However, I know that I am not alone when I say that I still find many posts that are of "real substance" here.

And if the "contactee/experiencer" subject were the ONLY one that is valued here, then not only would there be no activity in other areas, but the UC site itself would not cover any other issues.

An interesting thing can be seen when one clicks on the "last day" or the "last week" buttons on the left, and then expand topics.....one sees very clearly what topics are being posted to the most. And the ones that have the MOST posts, have them for very specific reasons, both topically and psychologically

But over and above that, one can see that there is very "substantive" stuff being posted, at least to those posting and responding.

If only all of it could be done with respect for everyone's opinions and feelings, then the board would GROW.

allen

Post Number: 2979
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Being sarcastic and dismissive has always been a component of debate. Hateful, on the other hand, has no place in any healthy debate. What one person see's as a negative comment, another might see as constructive. It's all in the eyes of the beholder. I have minor issues with the board's functions, but it still works well for me.

Albert Einstein

animalspirits

Post Number: 10711
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 8:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

SW posted:

quote:

People posting here need to understand that not everything posted in disagreement with them is not a personal attack."

In response to that, I will repeat what I said above:

"Not much of real substance is being posted anymore as others have moved to better boards or FB."

That is another example of an opinion being stated as fact.

I don't doubt that there is "not much" being posted that is of interest to you, and perhaps some others, or that you consider "not much" that is being posted to be of "real substance".

However, I know that I am not alone when I say that I still find many posts that are of "real substance" here.

And if the "contactee/experiencer" subject were the ONLY one that is valued here, then not only would there be no activity in other areas, but the UC site itself would not cover any other issues.

An interesting thing can be seen when one clicks on the "last day" or the "last week" buttons on the left, and then expand topics.....one sees very clearly what topics are being posted to the most. And the ones that have the MOST posts, have them for very specific reasons, both topically and psychologically

But over and above that, one can see that there is very "substantive" stuff being posted, at least to those posting and responding.

If only all of it could be done with respect for everyone's opinions and feelings, then the board would GROW.

Gee...you left out the first paragraph of my post:

quote:

...my 2 cents worth. Use it if it helps you, disregard it if it does not..no worries from me.

Then you preceded to dismiss my post paragraph by paragraph.

Hummmm....wonder why?

Heinrich Moltke
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 9:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The fact that this thread is now becoming a pissing contest on how the discussion board should be moderated doesn't say much for the idea of having a board.

But there are some good reasons for having a forum rooted on the site and available for people who visit this site specifically. One is that topics germane to the podcasts or news stories or Whitley's books can be discussed with a fair amount of depth.

I think whoever moderates the forum here has done a pretty good job. When people get banned willy-nilly it often does more harm than good. There's no real way to run a board other than to post very clear guidelines and go from there. You can't ban-by-vote as some seem to be implying here, or on the basis of alleged emotional distress. When it comes to moderation, this board works very well. The wheel doesn't need to get re-invented in this thread.

animalspirits

Post Number: 10712
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 9:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

HM,

I agree with you.

Gruvkitty
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

So what's next, then? Is this board going to change or is this discussion all just theoretical?

I appreciated hearing more from the BA about how things are run. I love this site, and I hope the board can be reinvented to reflect the swirl of ideas that flow around here in a more modern and fresh way. The clunkiness of the current system is a bit of a turn off.

animalspirits

Post Number: 10713
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 9:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I don't know if others are having this problem, but I can't put a "smiley" in the middle of a paragraph unless I format it myself.

They are all appearing at the end of anything I post.

Anyone else having this problem? I am using Google Chrome.

Gruvkitty
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

AS,

It's done that to me before, but I can't figure out why or why-not.

Buddie

Post Number: 5243
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 7:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I Lve you AS
like this?
Oh paragraph I have everything
running WAY OVER TO THE RIGHT and
sometimes skip over that corner of
the post like I just did ..
Maybe if they can't IMPROVE the Board
they should stop messing with what
already works?

(Message edited by buddie on May 17, 2012)

fortwynt

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 8:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

What irritates me is that when I click the "B" or the "I" or the "U" to do one of those functions, it, instead of placing the code precisely where my cursor rests, places it immediately at the end of the last bit of text typed so then I have to copy and paste the code (or just type it myself) where its supposed to be.

Sharon2

Post Number: 4183
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 9:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi Animalspirits, My emoticons appear where my cursor is flashing. I don't know why they don't work for you.

Fort, Have you tried clicking before and after the section you want to highlight?

For example... if you want to 'bold' your name, put your cursor in front of your name and click the 'B'. Then place your cursor after your name and click on the 'B' again.

animalspirits

Post Number: 10714
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 9:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Whippersnapper,

That is exactly what it is doing for me also.

I usually just wind up formatting it myself.

Driving me nuts...

ma

animalspirits

Post Number: 10721
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Buddie,

Yep.

Second Wind

Post Number: 6392
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2012 - 4:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sharon, I know you were not addressing me, but thanks for the suggestion about using bold, italics, and underline.

Sharon2

Post Number: 4184
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2012 - 9:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

susi

Post Number: 5543
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2012 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i know for a fact that private warnings are issued through email.

i know because i once received one.

susi

Post Number: 5544
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2012 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i also see no legitimate reason for the ba or whitley to 'publically' call down anyone. seems like a private email would suffice and if they're banned, again, in an email.

the only reasons i can see to announce it publically is either to embarrass them or satisfy the curiosity of other posters.

we'll know they were banned or deleted their profile by it not being there...and if they were a pain in the butt, it really doesn't matter how they left, does it?

susi

Post Number: 5545
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2012 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

as far a sarcasm goes...why i LOVE that in a person! lol c'mon, sarcasm is and should not be a banning offense. if that were true in the real world, 80& of the population would end up with their mouths sewn shut.

i think one can get way to technical about moderating boards.

in my history (12 yrs) here i have only felt one out of all the ones who have been banned was banned unfairly. i think that's a pretty good record. the ba does a good job.

xretsim

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2012 - 7:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i've been blocking email and private messages for many years now. those i did get were all friendly and interesting, but i had to stop. whatever may have been sent later, i haven't seen it.

also, i often go away, and don't check to see what was posted more than a week ago.

Second Wind

Post Number: 6397
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 4:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well, I have never received any warnings since I joined in 2006.

However, I WAS unfairly banned, without warning, back in 2007.

And I was also called out publicly when the banning took place.

When all was said and done, I was allowed to rejoin.....with the condition that I change my handle..

Cook

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I like charmless know it alls, I feel less alone. I'm not entirely convinced the software is set in stone, but I'll accept it. I once had a large web site dumped on me in PHP and MySQL and I managed to make any modifications to it I wanted. Even not knowing a proprietary language used isn't really an obstacle.

Mama Shine

Post Number: 15605
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 9:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The "know it alls" that I know and
have known usually have the "it's my
way or the highway" attitude as well.

So wouldn't it be appropriate to
just wish THEM bon voyage.

(Message edited by mama_shine on May 20, 2012)

Cook

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

But how is everyone so separate? Is them us as well? You can always send them to the mud universe until we all eventually follow. Then it's all a case of wanting to have been instead of being.

Mama Shine

Post Number: 15607
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Cook,

You have a point. I appreciate that
thought.

So, I'll continue to do my own thing and
follow the golden rule...err I mean mirror.

Cook

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 1:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I have no resolution to go with my comment Mama Shine. I don't know what following the golden mirror means.

Mama Shine

Post Number: 15616
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 8:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Cook,

I post impromptu sometimes and don't
always know why I say what I do.

Lemme see...hmmm, golden rule is
'do unto others as you would have them
do unto you.' So perhaps in my minds eye
I saw a golden mirror and thought 'we mirror
each other.'

Buddie

Post Number: 5289
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 4:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Cook

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I thought about it Mama Shine. If 'others' were yourself, then it would be the golden mirror.

rhetorician
Advanced Member

Post Number: 474
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2012 - 3:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Okay a New Board if Whitley wants to allocate funds for one.
Joie de vivre
Nobody living can ever stop me,
As I go walking that freedom highway;
Nobody living can ever make me turn back
This land was made for you and me.

Enrico

Post Number: 518
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I just hope the software works though. this current software use to work just fine. It is only of late that the back button does not work on any of the browsers. One always(constantly) has to clear the cache and refresh the page to see any post updates. It isn't that important though, I just don't spend that much time here anymore. If it were not for some of the posters like Bob, Whitley, and Susi (a handful of others) I wouldn't bother at all. BTW, I thought I would mention that I do not know why the "Fundies" bother to post here at all unless they just want to try and annoy people. Oh well, there are far more important issues than wasting time on "them".
Joie de vivre

susi

Post Number: 6244
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

dogs against romney

Alfred Lehmberg
Username: lehmberg

Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2012 - 3:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

In a word -- yes!

Stephen Tenace
Username: ascension1

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2012 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

skeptic tank
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2013 - 1:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I just stopped by again (after nearly a full year of being away) to reinterate just how much I feel Unknown Country NEEDS a new message board.

Make no mistake. I don't care about bells and whistles. But one thing I have always disliked about this board--and it definitely makes me feel discouraged from posting--is that nothing is archived. I mean, when you compare it to just about any other message forum on the internet, the unknowncountry board has relatively few "topic slots" available. And once they get pushed off the bottom, they're gone forever.

I've heard before an expression that goes something like, "Once something appears on the internet, it's there forever." However, from my time spent on UC, I know this isn't true, because I have tried in vain trying to find past UC threads through Google, and they just don't exist anymore. They disappear completely into the ether, and it's pretty annoying. It almost feels like, "why bother posting?" when anything you write will soon be gone forever.

Also, the fact that any topic you create will push off an older topic into oblivion FOREVER is a huge deterrent. It actually discourages people from discussing things or striking up conversations.

(Message edited by skeptic tank on January 25, 2013)

skeptic tank
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

... A few days later ...

So yeah. I get the impression that there is no real motivation to create a new board at UC. In light of that, I can't help wonder why the question was even broached in the first place. If it's been acknowledged that the site is less popular, and anyone with two eyes can realize that this board has some glaring deficiencies, why after two years is nothing being done?

In another thread I expressed frustration over why (again, after years) it's never been addressed that many people cannot sign up for a paid subscription. Not only am I saddenned that this has not been addressed, but I am a little surprised as well.

I can only assume that the people at UC have sort of resigned themselves to disappearing, as there seems to be no action or urgency displayed on their end towards fixing these very basic things. (And they are very basic things. Having a larger message board that archives things and fosters a virtual community is not asking for miracles; in fact, it is the norm. And fixing a technical issue that prevents a pay site from acceptaing payments--especially after a couple years--is not some unachievable ideal.)

If unknown country goes the way of the dodo, it shouldn't be a mystery as to why. It's one thing if a site/community isn't successful because of elements beyond their control (tough economy, competition, etc). But to seemingly surrender simply out of what I perceive to be apathy--well that just seems vexing and sad.

Heinrich Moltke
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2013 - 4:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

skeptic_tank:

I came to these conclusions a year ago. Like you, I was baffled that the question was even put to the few left on the board whether the board should be overhauled. The handwringing was a bit bizarre, especially when it included claims that this board is an archive or that maybe it shouldn't be done because people are rude.

The website does seem to be in decline, which is a shame. Dreamland has been shortened by half. Linda Howe used to be a fixture; now she shows up only occasionally. Strieber's work is still better by far than anything else out there; but even his own website doesn't provide a place to discuss it.

I used to like getting on here and posting long-ish messages getting into detail about ideas. Those mostly were misunderstood, led to silly spats, and rarely led to stimulating conversation. So I've moved on. Most of the energy behind the contact phenomenon as it exists on the internet has moved to blogs and DIY podcasting. Experiencers are recording their own experiences, interviewing each other, and even self-publishing accounts. I even started my own publishing service to help experiencers spread their own writings. I edit and format them, and produce ePub and print versions for Amazon. Many people get a real satisfaction out of having their own book, even if it's not a NY Times bestseller.

I'm not sure whether this site is making money, losing money, or anything else. I think like most who come here I'd like to see it thrive. The strange situation with the board (going on three years) isn't a good sign.

skeptic tank
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 6:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Heinrich, nice to know that at least one other person in the world has noticed the obvious. I was considering posting a third comment, sort of jokingly, basically saying the most outrageous thing possible to see if anyone at Unknown Country would even respond. So convinced of their disinterest was I, that I was betting that nothing I could type would provoke a response. Death threats, likening someone to Hitler, confessing to having sex with animals, just anything.

I figure there are two scenarios going on behind the scenes:

(A) There is an air of not really caring what happens to this site. This is the more likely of the two options.

(B) They're wringing their hands every night hoping the site will magically become more successful. And to remedy the situation, they are hoping real hard... and that's it. I can imagine phrases being spoken like, "Please, please, God, make the site more successful. Sure, we could fix the technical glitch that has prevented people from becoming paid subscribers for over two years, but that would be too obvious a solution. Also, we could update the message board to something more in line with post-1995, but no, that would be silly. We will however create the illusion we're actually considering making the board usable by proposing such improvements on said board, but we have no intention of actually following through on it."

You know, reading the above I realize that maybe I ended up posting that third comment after all.

(Message edited by skeptic tank on February 12, 2013)

Mama Shine

Post Number: 16577
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 2:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

skeptic tank,

My comment was rude, had a bad day.
I'm sorry.

flushed it.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return.
~Nature Boy

Mr. Mthood
Advanced Member

Post Number: 472
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2013 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It certainly seems as if Whitley himself has completely disappeared from this message board.

I understand people being on facebook or twitter, and finding an audience, but I don't see the point of utilizing such an old software system just for the sake of saving some threads.

I think the corners of the internet that used to foster so much great discussion on alternative subjects are all in some kind of downward spiral.

Lily
Advanced Member
Username: lilaclily

Post Number: 291
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 4:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I think the membership is a little high. Things are tough now. Also, the fact that if u want to pay one year at a time without a commitment you have to pay even more does not help.
-:---.God and the Universe Love and Adore you, bringing you Mystical, Wonderful Gifts each moment :-...

bean

Post Number: 2333
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 9:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I don't think changing the board with new software will make for more enlightened posts or better communication between posters. Time is an issue for me....and maybe for others as well.

Mthood....good point about a downward spiral....kind of like being in the eye of a storm...waiting for.....the next phase..?

kathy decker
Advanced Member
Username: fand

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 3:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I guess I have just lost interest in a lot of the topics. I like an active conversation, devoid of the nit picking and constant argument that seems to be going on a lot these days.
I have spent a good portion of my life trying to understand the experiences that changed my perspective on spirituality and alien life, and I found thus forum to be a great place for open minded discussion.
That seems to have changed.
People are frustrated and irritable, understandably so in these uncertain times, and seem to be shouting over one another just to get their own views heard. That does not make a great conversation.
I would also like to see more archiving done here...

Steve DoD
Advanced Member

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Good, very early morning, my time, all.
I was surprised that people on this thread still are asking about this board. This question was asked almost a year and a half ago and no changes, so let's go with the assumption it is not going to change since this is now 2013.

Kathy Decker,

I agree with your post above: "People are frustrated and irritable, understandably so in these uncertain times, and seem to be shouting over one another just to get their own views heard." ....That has been going on here since I first signed up on this site. That also, sad as it is, not going to change. I have learned that when I read odd over bearing people, the delete button works great vs email back. After awhile they get tired and hopefully they move on.

Take care
Steve

skeptic tank
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 174
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 4:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

"I don't think changing the board with new software will make for more enlightened posts or better communication between posters."

It might not turn water into wine, but what could it hurt? Like Heinrich, I cannot understand the (fairly popular) idea that this board couldn't (even shouldn't) use an overhaul. (And I don't mean to single anyone out, as a lot of people seem to feel this way.) To reiterate, I'm not looking for some crazy futuristic thing with Skype/Chat/Twitter/god-knows-what. Just the basics. Like topic threads that are archived forever. (Or in the least, extend beyond one page.) This is something that 99 out of 100 message forums have, particularly forums that people actually want to survive and/or thrive.

(Note: If people are afraid of losing the threads that remain here, maybe the site could simply leave it up as an archive that people could read. But the way things are set up now, those threads will eventually disappear forever anyway.)

What about the suggestion that the "sign up" page for new subscribers actually functions? I'm assuming no one has a problem with that idea.

Again, the apathy or disinterest implied by the fact that these things never get addressed by the people behind the scenes is kind of disconcerting. Why would anyone expect people to flock to a site that the very administrators of said site seem apathetic about?

(Message edited by skeptic tank on February 23, 2013)

(Message edited by skeptic tank on February 23, 2013)

skeptic tank
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 7:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I did want to post a positive thing about Unknown Country (which I think only serves to show how baffling the other site problems are). There has been at least one noticeable improvement since when I was a regular a couple years ago. The news section actually seems like someone on the site is trying to post things that they feel are significant. (Previously, the "news" felt like the blurbs from the lifestyle section of a newspaper.) And the front page looks much more "busy"--and I mean that in a good way.

Similarly good is the (relatively) new section "Out There." On Out There, there is clearly someone who cares about the subject, taking the time to post the links, etc. And there are even the ocassional comments under the videos. Those are signs of a site that hasn't been completely ignored by its creators. A site in which is trying to remain active from within.

And that makes the other things so baffling. This message board is so deficient that I just recently discovered you can't even navigate it using a handheld device. (Or at least not on mine.) And unlike "out there" there seems to be no attempt being made at trying to make the board relevant, popular, a place to foster discussions, etc.

And the fact that the subscription page after two years has not become functional for new subscribers. Again, this is what you would expect from a site that already has the intention of not going on anymore, and they just haven't directly told anyone yet. This implies a totally different attitude than the presense and maintainance of "Out There" does.

(Message edited by skeptic tank on February 24, 2013)

Mr. Mthood
Advanced Member

Post Number: 487
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2013 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It is difficult to navigate the message board on any kind of mobile device, but then it utilizes software that was designed long before explosion of smart phones and tablets.

@skeptic: what part of the subscriber page doesn't function?

I've said it before, message board/forum type sites are in major decline, and have been for the last few years, especially ones that cater to the alternative subjects. There are just other options that people are using, like Facebook.

The majority of "discussion" often times here occurs in the Politics section, which really isn't that unusual.

I have a feeling that since there has been no upgrade, which really isn't that difficult, that at some point, it will be shut down.

skeptic tank
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 5:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mr. Mthood, the page that allows you to actually become a subscriber never works. It hasn't for about two years now. I'm not the only one with this issue, as there are a couple different threads about this in the subscriber section. The fact that it hasn't ever been fixed indicates to me that perhaps they don't care, which is kind of disturbing.

I personally don't feel it's enough justification that this board isn't being improved upon (or even simply helped to survive) simply because of the proliferation of things like Facebook. I frequent many different message boards, many of them with very rudimentary tech running them. It's possible that they're not as trafficked as they were, say, 7 years ago, I don't know. But they're still plenty busy. This includes niche forums about baseball (where they talk pretty analytically, the sabermetrics of one particular team), to forums related to just the "adventure" genre of computer games (which is considered a dying/dead genre, by the way). Even the (mostly awful and juvenile) Godlike Productions forum gets regular traffic. Given how popular "alternative" topics are, I actually think the argument can be made that the topics Unknown Country deals with have more popular interest than the baseball and adventure game ones I mentioned.

All of those sites have relatively simple navigation, yet seem like something out of The Fifth Element compared to the Unknown Country board. The UC board is like something from the early 90's when the internet was this new concept. Honestly, it's ludicrous how rudimentary (and I would argue, virtually unusable) the UC board is. Those sites also differ from the UC one in that there is some indication that people behind the scenes actually care about the forum/community thriving and/or surviving. There are moderators who are also forum members who seem just as interested in the discussion of topics as anyone. There are polls posted, etc.

The only reason the UC board will die (and maybe the UC site itself, given the subscriber issue never being fixed) isn't going to be for some inevitable "time marches on/what can you do?" reason. It will be because of the baffling disinterest or apathy from the UC staff itself.

Gruvkitty
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, March 04, 2013 - 9:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Personally I don't like discussing these topics on FB. I'm very private about these topics, and FB is too public for me. And though I read often here, I don't post frequently, mostly due to time constraints. I'm a slow typist and it takes me a long time to arrange my thoughts carefully. I don't care for the "drama" so I try to steer clear of that, and I see it often here as with all boards.

I agree with skeptic tank that the subscriber page rarely works and I often get messages that my subscription has run out when it hasn't actually done so. It's a bit frustrating, but someone has always eventually gotten back to me and "fixed" my problem.

I do think this board should be updated. I know it would cost money, but this board is really old fashioned. I want to read it on a smart phone. It seems like it could be re-imagined in a way that would better fit the times. I would be very sorry to see it go.
Blergh!

Mr. Mthood

Post Number: 512
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I've been a subscriber off and on for years and never had a problem with it.

Buddie

Post Number: 6150
Posted on Monday, July 15, 2013 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I LOVE the fact its remained
the way it is.. who needs
an App for UC..
Not me
Thank You Whitley x 1000

sahgwa
Username: sahgwa

Post Number: 664
Posted on Monday, July 15, 2013 - 5:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

You know WHY i think msg boards are better than face book, and this board in particular is the best? Because of the simple format, with the check of the non instant posting, it makes people THINK and really write something that matters. Facebook is too fast and plastic and after being on it for about 10 months total, and then quitting cuz i wasted time 'surfing' it, I don't miss it at all- and it was a huge time waster. This is like the Hardcover deluxe version of unknowncountry, while the fb version is the macdonalds french fry box. So I say keep it as much the same here as possible and draw users from fb to here. PLUS these people aren't saving all your data for the d*** NSA ;)
Observation convinces me that there are beings of intelligence higher than human and that the only chance for mankind to advance as a whole is for individuals to make contact with such Beings.Crowley

da~an
Username: daan

Post Number: 7086
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 6:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

true... that!
"up"

Second Wind

Post Number: 6904
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2013 - 6:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

http://www.kaarpaaj.com/Da-an.JPG

YAY!!!!!!!

Sharon2

Post Number: 5089
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2013 - 9:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

After I read the 'online' news and check my emails I come HERE.
It's been a part of my life for nine years, now!

Long time, no see, Da~an

xretsim

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 - 6:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

the blogs that heinrich mentioned.. which are they? links?

Harper
Username: harper

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 8:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The board seems fine to me , if something works why change it.

anna

Post Number: 3580
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 9:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'd like to see a richer software myself- there's no avatars, no way to embed videos, post photos, etc. Compared to other places it's pretty boring looking. I have no problem with the way the admin does things, but I'm also not aware of how that works. Archiving would be an excellent idea, as there tons here to benefit from...
http://energy-creations.blogspot.com/

To insist that the only reality are phenomenon that can be submitted to the paradigm of classical science is itself a religion- Dietrick Thomson

anna

Post Number: 3582
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 9:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

And add some google features- g+, etc....

To insist that the only reality are phenomenon that can be submitted to the paradigm of classical science is itself a religion- Dietrick Thomson

Linda Morrison
Username: aspecialpower

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 1:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I have been a member of Unknown Country for quite a while and will be for the remainder of my days... I have never used the boards because it is a little archaic to what I am used to and an update would be great. I am not that computer savvy, though I find my way just fine around Facebook. Here I am just a bit overwhelmed and never figured out how to join a chat or the meditation group. If there was a way to make it easier of course that would help people like me. I don't have a clue what is out there to use, but I know this all looks very 1990s to me.

anna

Post Number: 3590
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 6:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Linda, to join a chat or meditation you need to become a subscriber. I've been one for years and there's tons there to access....

Buddie

Post Number: 6511
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2014 - 7:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

OR Linda you can just drop in..
very old school hands on site
rite click ..... blahhblahhhblahhh
username
password
I can't but wonder where I'm bound

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: