Living Out of The U.S. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Living Off The Grid » Living Out of The U.S. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

anna
Username: anna

Post Number: 3245
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 8:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I've been wondering where other good places to live below the radar might be- outside the U.S. and Mexico. Not a lot of volcanoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, etc. Somewhere green and temperate. I wonder how the U.K. would be in Scotland, Ireland, etc., or of they are too far north?
"To insist that the only reality are phenomenon that can be submitted to the paradigm of classical science is itself a religion" - Dietrick Thomson, Science Magazine

Energy-Creations.com

Nina
Username: nina

Post Number: 651
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2010 - 8:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Australia
Dona Nobis Pacem.

Jimmy
Username: chippyo

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2010 - 9:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Aussie...beautiful but very drought prone.

Anna check out this ex-pat site & magazine..I read & dream! My fave is pacific side of costa rica & belieze...

www.escapeamerica.com

Cheers!
"Don't take life to seriously;no one gets out alive."

Nina
Username: nina

Post Number: 652
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2010 - 8:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Not the whole of Australia....pick the best parts...
Dona Nobis Pacem.

anna

Post Number: 3249
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 7:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I don't feel like Aus. would be a good fit, too much U.S. military stuff going on there... :-(

I think there's too many U.S. folks going to Costa Rica and no volcanic, coastal areas for me, or small islands. Not safe probably...
"To insist that the only reality are phenomenon that can be submitted to the paradigm of classical science is itself a religion" - Dietrick Thomson, Science Magazine

Energy-Creations.com

xretsim
Username: xretsim

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 6:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

my parents live in spain most of the year. i'd like to retire there myself some day (but stay norwegian). i would not move anywhere outside the e.u. too many benefits to miss out on.

anna

Post Number: 3250
Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

yes, but if things get really ugly, there wouldn't be a e.u.

Energy-Creations.com

Jimmy

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 1:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

EU is great for bennies and the now. Regarding GCC, well it's way up past the ice front.
Europe sits very high up compared to the US.

For example, if I take a sailboat straight out of Philadelphia PA and sail along the same longitidual line, I will end up in Lisbon Portugal.

I think if an ice sheet line came down it would
freeze all of europe but sicily & crete. As for the US it would most likely extend to Kansas City.

xretsim

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 2:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

>i think if an ice sheet line came down it would
>freeze all of europe but sicily & crete.

sounds a bit extreme. here is a map of the earth during the last ice age at about the last glacial maximum. i don't know if you've been to the south coast of spain, but you can see across to africa on a clear day, and most of the days are clear:

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/spaceart/cylmaps.html

Jimmy

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

xertism...

That's a cool picture I guess they got there infromation from geological records. In the last little ice age during Dickins time it was brutally cold in London, so much that the Thames froze every year...extapolate from that and if it got really cold, I still believe most of europe and teh eastern US & Canada would be frosty. The food supply scaricity would be scary.
I suppose no one can say for sure where the ice sheet will extend. Our web host Whitley, proposed in his journal a "zone" that would be not to hot & not to cold. I do not know if this is based on the last ice age. If anyone knows I am curious to know...(not that I'd move in a panic) he said:

Below the 49th 0r 48th Latitude to above the 35th latitude. For the US that's Winnipeg Canada to Memphis Tennessee US.

Where is that in Europe?

Jimmy

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

xertism:

Check out the german map:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age

No pics of US.

xretsim

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 6:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

>Below the 49th 0r 48th Latitude to above the
>35th latitude. For the US that's Winnipeg Canada
>to Memphis Tennessee US.

>Where is that in Europe?

everything south of paris (48). more than half of france. switzerland (47-45), italy (47-37), spain (43-36), portugal (42-36), greece (41-34)..

anna

Post Number: 3251
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

In the past Whitley had said that the climate would shift south about a few hundred miles. So N. Dakota weather, for instance, would move down to about Nebraska, Nebraska weather would move down to about N. Texas, etc. Colder farther south...

Energy-Creations.com

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: