Survival kit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Living Off The Grid » Survival kit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

esotericha
Intermediate Member
Username: esotericha

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2010 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

post your list - everybody's is different, but this might give new ideas

dry clothes and shoes
a big tent and groundcover
large aerobed, pillows, sheets, pillowcases, blankets
money
meds
sterilite uv water purifier and batteries
camper potty and tp
chairs
flashlights and lightsticks
big tarp
rope
radio

Jimmy
Username: chippyo

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Iodine tablets
2k in cash
Fast Car
Rand McNally

(After 911 this was de riguer here in the NE)
"Don't take life to seriously;no one gets out alive."

Skin Shed Mon
Username: shedmyskin

Post Number: 3298
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 5:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I would recommend www.firesteel.com I have one, works very very very well. You will never have to worry about a fire. Also take some cotton balls, and a small jar of petroleum jelly. You can then soak the balls in there and use the fire steel to create a fire. Or just use dry materials you might have, the cotton balls work though if you have nothing dry to start the fire with.

If you dont mind guns.....and this is for a long term survival in my mind btw....having a rifle with a lot of ammo makes hunting for food a lot easier if you are figuring your survival situation will be out in the wild. A Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30 can be had for around 100 bucks, its a russian military surplus rifle, very reliable, very powerful and surplus ammo is dirt cheap. It offers protection from a bear and it will bring a big buck down and then some.

Also Jimmy you should put some spikes and nitrous on that fast car.
In spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart. I simply can't build up my hopes on a foundation consisting of confusion, misery and death. -Anne Frank

anna
Username: anna

Post Number: 3246
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 8:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I would say a map is really good in your car, since there's a whole generation whose refuse to use one and rely on gps or mapquest. Use the side roads and keep the lights off...
"To insist that the only reality are phenomenon that can be submitted to the paradigm of classical science is itself a religion" - Dietrick Thomson, Science Magazine

Energy-Creations.com

Jimmy
Username: chippyo

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

beer or wine making skills
"Don't take life to seriously;no one gets out alive."

moonbeam
Username: mia

Post Number: 806
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Any or all the camping gear you can afford because I think many people will be on the move. I suggested a camp shower in the other thread too. That is if you are near water. Also, watch survival shows to pick up on ideas, because it might just save your life. Pack your stuff in easy to carry containers.

Victoria
Username: victoria

Post Number: 611
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 1:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Include several "dry bags."

These come in various sized, but large and medium are good. Dry bags are used in white-water rafting... to keep clothing and other gear DRY. They are stuff bags made of very heavy gauge vinyl and have a sealing top to keep out water.

When loaded with clothing, sleeping bags, tent... stuff you need to keep dry... and seal them up, they usually float. They have sturdy carry straps and can take a lot of abuse, ie, white-water rafting.

You don't want to stow any gear in them that doesn't need to be dry to function properly, like cooking utensil's, which would be too heavy to insure float capabilities, as in flooding or crossing streams or rivers.

Go to a local sports store, ie., REI, to get a feel for what will work for you, and ask about the gauge of the material. You may be able to get the same thing online cheaper, but the gauge is important to insure it won't puncture or leak easily.

They would work for food too, but try to use only dried foods, not cans.
Too many people enjoy the comfort of opinion
without struggling through the labor of thought. JFK

Victoria

Post Number: 612
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 6:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

SSM ~ Thanks for the info on firesteel.com -- I just ordered the Armageddon one and a magnesium bar. I used to backpack, cross-country ski and kayak white-water, so know how essential fire can be when Murphy's Law kicks in... and it always does! Matches always wimp-out, and lighters are temperamental in dire conditions (rain). This is a great remedy.

Victoria

Post Number: 613
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 7:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I would suggest to those really wanting to be prepared to find some books on backpacking, if you're feeling the need to head to the hills.

This is the fine-art of camping with the least amount of weight possible. All gear/food/protection must be carried in your own backpack. Lots of great ideas in Backpacker Magazine. Try the Library for books if you don't want to spend money.

If conditions get very strained, if you run out of gas and none is available, you'd be reduced to supplies/equipment you can carry... which ain't much.

Like I said... it's a fine art to down-size all that bulky stuff to carriable-weight and still be comfortable.

Right now, I have all the backpacker essentials, PLUS I have the "creature-comfort" gear of "car-camping" suggested above... and I keep the basics in my car, ready to go... (I live on an island with 1 bridge to the mainland and a big ol' volcano just off yonder, and the Juan de Fuca Strait a 1/2 mile away).

I know, I'm a dreamer!
Disabled 60 year old woman ready to go camping. I recently bought 2 comfy, light-weight camp chairs (keeping them in my vehicle)... just in case too. Don't want to be sitting on the ground. LOL

Victoria

Post Number: 615
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 7:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

One more place to check out

http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/

anna

Post Number: 3247
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 7:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

There's lots of cheap stuff in army navy surplus stores too...
"To insist that the only reality are phenomenon that can be submitted to the paradigm of classical science is itself a religion" - Dietrick Thomson, Science Magazine

Energy-Creations.com

Victoria

Post Number: 616
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 7:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

... and this too!

http://plentyofgear.com/

Boris
Advanced Member
Username: boris

Post Number: 367
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

A hatchet, with a wooden handle
Fishing line and some hooks that won't rust
flint, and a magnifying glass
knowledge which could come in book form includes;
wild plants and edibles of your area, how to build a sod house, lean too's etc, set up snares.
Bring some dry goods like seeds for growing beans, tomatoes Vit C, many other plants offer food and medicinal components.
Blesses,
Boris
Time is immaterial as is the soul

esotericha
Intermediate Member
Username: esotericha

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 2:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

one problem with all these is that everyone expects to be alone, but chances are minimal that will happen, also that all the prepared equipment will be still there when needed

anna

Post Number: 3252
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Books and games...

Energy-Creations.com

Mab
Username: mab

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001WC6MW
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003071007981&sk=wall

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: