Welcome to Living Off the Grid Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Living Off The Grid » Welcome to Living Off the Grid « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Board Administrator
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Whitley thought this topic would interest a lot of people and help keep the discussion organized. It works just like our other topics areas, so feel free to get started and create your own threads.

Let us know what you think!

Sharon2
Username: sharon2468

Post Number: 3510
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 7:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Great Idea! I wish there was a "Solar Panels for Dummies" or "Windmills for Dummies". I have always wished I could live 'Off the Grid' but don't know how to begin.

Are there any books for the really technically challenged?
Our life is determined by the choices we make!

sahgwa
Advanced Member
Username: sahgwa

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 9:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We should have meet up spots for unknown country people with survival skills willing to share them and resources with others in case of no internet, state by state and country by country.
what do you all think?
Observation convinces me that there are beings of intelligence higher than human and that the only chance for mankind to advance as a whole is for individuals to make contact with such Beings.Crowley

John_Doe420
Username: john_doe420

Post Number: 742
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I have heard that certain elements of, say, solar powering your home, are a lot more complex than some think.
================================
http://www.facebook.com/fortwynt
http://www.youtube.com/fortwynt
================================

esotericha
Intermediate Member
Username: esotericha

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i have real-life experience in solar, wind and even hydro (short and long fall) energy production, hydroponic gardening and greenhouse management, and electronic water sterilization - i don't do septic or methane - oh yeah i forgot solar water heating (the burn-freeze shower!) - i suppose i should write a book on my experiences in learning 'what not to do' - 'living off the grid ain't for the faint of heart' would be a good title lol

the grid in this case is the public electrical grid - the delivered electric has so much more oomph than you can make yourself, and the first thing you have to do to make ends meet is lose the massive 'power-suckers' that modern cheap electric has saddled us with - there will be no central air or heat unless you have a huge solar farm to run it - think more 'mother earth news' with a corn-cob heater for winter and a evaporative ac or simple pumped-water heat exchanger, and these boxes they build now that they call houses are far too huge to heat and cool with solar or wind or even hydro, though the huge roof area is good for solar shingles, it would never be enough, especially if there are trees

if you have any questions, just ask

generate->waste->store->waste->convert->waste->use->waste - the problem is in the waste

just for kicks, get out your last month's power bill and see how many true kwh you used last month, divide it by how many days there were in the month, and compare that to the 3-6 kwh you can get out of solar per day if you cut down every tree for miles and covered your whole house and yard with multi-axis tracking solar panels, and see just how solar stacks up versus delivered electricity - its not bad, just not what you're used to, like checking the battery indicator and having to decide if you want to vacuum or watch tv tonight - only enough juice for one or the other cause there was one little puffy white cloud that got in the way

(Message edited by esotericha on August 31, 2010)

Jimmy
Username: chippyo

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thank you WS for taking my suggestion into action, I think this topic has finally found a home, and to think a journal entry spawned it!

Has anyone tried or have any experience with straw bale homes in the Mid Atlantic?

I'll take my answer off the air.
"Don't take life to seriously;no one gets out alive."

susi
Username: etsi

Post Number: 2829
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

jimmy

my friend built a straw bale here in tucson-she even wrote a book 'living off the grid'.

i've emailed her for her website so i can post it.
sure you can trust the government....just ask an indian.

man in
Advanced Member
Username: thirdpal

Post Number: 391
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 7:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

anyone with ideas about how to set up a waterwheel or water turbine in a river which can rise as much as 12' during a rain?

(Message edited by thirdpal on September 03, 2010)

Jimmy

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 9:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

thx susi...

Also as per eso's post: It's true it is hard to attempt an off teh grid lifestyle and commit to it. But I think teh term is a braod stroke:

Living off the Grid can be 20%...30% 50% or 80%..I think it is a gradual mind set and a work in progress.
Addtionally for clarity: What motivates one to "live off the grid" may be anything from retirement, living 'low' or anticipating climate changes.

My .02

Jimmy

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Options:

Ecovillages
If you want to live off the grid, but you don't like the thought of living in a location far removed from the rest of society, then an off-the-grid community may be the place for you. Dancing Rabbit, in Missouri, is quite possibly the most well-known such community in the world. The approximately 40 residents of this small village have dedicated their lives to building and maintaining a community equipped with cutting edge, off-the-grid technology. Food is grown in organic gardens, electricity is generated by an array of solar panels and wind turbines, drinking and cleaning water comes from a rain-collection system and buildings are made of earthen materials. Other such "ecovillages" include Arcosanti in Arizona, Cobb Hill in Vermont and White Hawk in New York.

esotericha
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

>>anyone with ideas about how to set up a waterwell or water turbine in a river which can rise as much as 12' during a rain?

aka short-fall hydro - its old tech - you make a dam with an overflow, then pull off a pipe of water from the lowest spot of the dam where there is clear bottom - might want to put a reclaimed concrete slab under the pipe so you don't suck up sediments if the flow gets too low - resize the pipe down to the turbine housing and outflow through a larger pipe - turbines are available in all sorts of sizes - turbine shaft goes to the gearbox shaft then to the shaft of the generator - the gearbox makes the generator turn fast enough - the turbine itself won't spin fast enough

sonorK
Username: sonork

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

One of my fellow ag guys over here just built a solar food dehydrator out of scrap lumber, metal roofing material and a piece of plastic. It's in testing now, but if it works, it would be a really nice way to preserve food without power.

I've already sent the photos and stuff home. Wish I could post it somewhere, but I don't have a place.
Universal Health Care: The DMV with wounds.

mikkyo
Username: mikkyo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 1:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hey, I live near Atlanta, Georgia. I'm learning about gardening, hydroponics, and living off the grid. I'm new, but I learn fast and work hard. If anyone wants to meet up, let me know!

mikkyo
Username: mikkyo

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 1:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Not that it matters so much, but I can also sing really well. Maybe that would matter a little bit if in a post-grid world, once the survival needs were met. LOL!

Quantum Cat
Intermediate Member
Username: msfox

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 4:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm not in a position to go completely off grid...but i've been plotting my escape via the Lehman's website.

http://www.lehmans.com/

Everyone should have an emergency supply at the very least. That is where I am at this point. Ice Storm 2009 (Washington County Arkansas) showed me what our family did right and what we needed to work on.
L
~Life ain't nothin' but a funny funny riddle~John Denver

anna
Username: anna

Post Number: 3227
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I did start these two threads quite a while back in the "Superstorm/Climate Change" thread-

one- Self Sufficiency for the Coming Times-
http://www.unknowncountry.com/board/index.phtml?winmain=main

I had started a thread too about things to stockpile on sale, etc. in the same area, but I can't find it under the search mode...
"To insist that the only reality are phenomenon that can be submitted to the paradigm of classical science is itself a religion" - Dietrick Thomson, Science Magazine

Energy-Creations.com

susi

Post Number: 2845
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 4:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

www.motherearthnews.com

bean
Username: tina

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2010 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mikkyo....Singing...a much valued ability always!

man in
Advanced Member

Post Number: 395
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2010 - 9:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thanks esoterica, the problem with my river is that when if rains the water rises anywhere from 1 foot to 12 feet about normal levels, AND it is full of sediments - muddy, in other words.

Also, my property line runs down the middle of the river, so building a damn might be frowned upon by my neighbors.

I'm thinking about something in terms of a waterwheel with floats that would bob up and down with the rising/lowering water. However, entire trees float downriver when it floods, so it would likely be smashed.

susi

Post Number: 2850
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2010 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

on the link i provided above, i forgot to say, type 'straw bale homes' in the search engine at the top of the page.

moonbeam
Username: mia

Post Number: 784
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2010 - 1:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

You can go to a plant like pepsi or coke and they will give you plastic barrels sometimes for free. They are great for storing water and other items and you are recycling them for good use. Of course, if you are going to drink the water make sure you clean them with bleach and you will have to know the amount of bleach to add to purify and keep your drinking water for long periods of time. They also make great rain catchers if you remove the top with sharp knife or saw. Also, if you need to store water then you can use two liter coke bottles and add the correct amount of bleach for storage. The barrels are good for planting herbs and tomatoes if you are in a place where you have no room for a garden. just make sure you have proper drainage, a few holes in the bottom.

moonbeam

Post Number: 785
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2010 - 1:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

p.s., just cut the barrels in half for planters

Mike
Intermediate Member
Username: xevious

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2010 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Great idea, but people have to remember it's gonna be basic survival, practical tips are going to be needed. If things fall, everything we take for granted will go out the window and your own neighbor could literally turn against you. I don't think people should take it lightly since what ever is presented could save your life, perhaps the survival of humanity. Just a thought.

esotericha
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 132
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

>>your own neighbor could literally turn against you

nothing like having a big store of food or gold or whatever to inspire jealousy and even outright attack

no place to hide when everyone is looking for a hiding place

ManyMansions
Username: manymansions

Post Number: 4505
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 3:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

...“Fear is the Thief of Dreams”...

Dancehawk
Username: dancehawk

Post Number: 697
Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

do not forget to compost everything that can be.
and you will need to rest planting areas. in the late fall spread compost and till the soil then spread a very light layer of straw if you have it, then retil in spring to keep your soil healthy and nurished.
ducks make really good slug getter's, when watering turn the ducks loose in the garden, extra po from them plus they eat the bugs, round them up when done. plant garlic to keep away fleas, marigals ward off worms on tomatoes, save your plastics try to seal them in a drum with a tight lid, cotton cloth in barrels with tight lids toss in needles thread and simple pattern's, dad had us also put shoes in barrels, trying to remember everything he taught us, ammo bury with a well oiled and wrapped gun in various place, they will search for those in your home, bury rice, non gm corn seed and other seeds in sealed glass jars, honey keeps so stock up on that.
and if you can get a root celler dug, it keeps thing grown longer and you can put your canning in there too.

are we prepared no we keep trying but keep getting knocked back 9 steps everytime we try, between hurricanes and family thats out of work.
dance
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak Kindly. Be part of the Solution instead of the problem

anna

Post Number: 3231
Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 9:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

If you use rain barrels, be aware- you still need to use a good filter BEFORE you drink it. All kinds of stuff runs down off your roof, etc. into that barrel. We got 2 molasses barrels for horses from a co-worker, free. Plumbed them ourselves :-)

man in- you might look into putting in a cistern for excess water...
"To insist that the only reality are phenomenon that can be submitted to the paradigm of classical science is itself a religion" - Dietrick Thomson, Science Magazine

Energy-Creations.com

anna

Post Number: 3233
Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 9:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Interesting website-
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/

Energy-Creations.com

anna

Post Number: 3234
Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 9:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Another interesting website as far as supplies go. I have bought his wicks for a couple of used kero heaters, great customer service!

http://www.endtimesreport.com/

Energy-Creations.com

moonbeam

Post Number: 793
Posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 9:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I am not a gun lover, so I would suggest if you are taking this seriously you should own a very large dog, to keep looters away. There are many people out there who are afraid of large dogs, and a good german shepard or rotty, might be the answer. These are very loyal animals. They do eat alot though and you should stockpile food in tight lid trash cans for them.

moonbeam

Post Number: 794
Posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 9:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

And don't forget an outhouse, and I think lime is what they use to put in them.

sahgwa
Advanced Member

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I do think it is a great idea to be prepared but I also wonder how much of a deadline people think is out there? When you should really start stockpiling and not waiting? Because there have been people doing this for decades and nothing happens. That's all I am saying I wondered if you all had a super rough estimate of a due date :-) Simply because although we can't predict the future most of you who are into this are already getting more information than me and the average joe for certain.
Observation convinces me that there are beings of intelligence higher than human and that the only chance for mankind to advance as a whole is for individuals to make contact with such Beings.Crowley

anna

Post Number: 3235
Posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The new non-fiction book "Cyber Wars" talks about how China could shut down our power in 2015, based on their technology, interesting...

(Message edited by anna on September 06, 2010)

Energy-Creations.com

sonorK
Username: sonork

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

folks, keep in mind that if you're stocking up on food - it'll be called 'hoarding' if things fall apart. You'll be a criminal and they will take it from you.

So, make sure you can hide it well. False walls, etc.
Universal Health Care: The DMV with wounds.

xretsim
Username: xretsim

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 5:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Why the Survivalists Have Got It Wrong.

Whitley Strieber
Username: strieber

Post Number: 697
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 2:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Two things to watch for. Obviously, the failure of the Gulf Stream. But also the release of methane gas from arctic methane hydrates underwater. When these hydrates melt, they will outgas trillions of tons of methane into the atmosphere. Over a few years, there will be a catastrophic heat spike. Right now, there is higher than expected outgassing, but it is not too fast for the atmosphere to absorb the methane, which breaks down fairly quickly, unlike carbon dioxide.

If the scientific press starts writing about methane hydrates melting, it's time to get far from the cities, arm yourself, make sure you have a good well that you can draw from, if necessary, without an electric pump, and prepare to live off the grid, but not like you lived on the grid. It will require a new frugality at every level of existence.

The key thing will be to stay alive and, above all, educate the children. After Rome fell, many villas did this successfully for hundreds of years, and became the great cities and towns we know today. But, for the most part, the empire fell into illiteracy and barbarism. Trade stopped. The use of money ended. Life span dropped from 50 years to 30 years. Roads became overgrown. Civilization did not return for nearly a thousand years.

I don't know how bad things will get, but I think that it is going to happen sooner than we expect. So keep a weather eye out. We certainly will here.

Right now, northern sea ice is so low that the Northwest Passage is open for only the second time on record. There is a tanker stuck on rocks in it now, and a luxury yacht started out to attempt it yesterday.

The fact that it's navigable should be big news, but politics keeps the media mum.

man in
Advanced Member

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

and politicians are working for the big corporations who are the "real" folks who want to keep it quite. Better to know what Paris Hilton is doing anyhoo, right?

man in
Advanced Member

Post Number: 402
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

learning how to grow food is important.

And what sonorK said about "hoarding" is probably going to happen. Though it was not illegal in New Orleans after Katrina. I do know of at least one case where the police decended on a crowd of people who were sharing food they found. The police treated those folks very harshly, took their food, loaded it on a truck and drove off.

Jimmy

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Two signs posts to observe:
1) Gulf Stream Failure
2) Methane Hydrates Melting

When?
I have heard anywhere from 10-75 years. 37.5 would be half of that, if I had to guess it would be 25 years from today. That's ~2036
(All conjecture)

Plan? One ought to be aware and begin now. I see another trend in the boomer crowd of living "off grid" google it and you'll see plenty of sites for solar, wind power, straw bale homes etc.
You'll have to intergrate it into a retirement or back to nature living, insteand of madly dashing off to the hinderlands and stocking up.

Another concern I have is where? We got some safe latitudes in this thread, can't be to hot or to cold (will the climate change?) Also what of the superstorms? Say you get a farm with 20 acres of woods and 5 acres of clear with a clean deep water well in the midwest away from both coasts, but mostly way from the NE corridor(1/3 the US population lives there)
Now you're living the 1860's lifestyle, but then huge superstorms annilate all you own!

I guess one will need a cave or basement.

Fascinating scenarios!

I wnated to retire & live low sooner than 65 and this just helps me along with my decison.

Jimmy

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Just thought of something:

An Unknown Country Commune!

sahgwa
Advanced Member

Post Number: 286
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

thank you very much for posting some signposts to watch for whitley :-)
And as far as hoarding being illegal that is so wrong...
and this 'I do know of at least one case where the police decended on a crowd of people who were sharing food they found. The police treated those folks very harshly, took their food, loaded it on a truck and drove off.'
that makes me so mad!!!!!!!!!! >_<
GAH -_-;;

Jimmy

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/fuel-tanker-aground-in-northwest-pa ssage/article1694366/

Diesel Tanker aground in the NW passage, ran aground on a sandbar this is incident #2...With the ice thaw has this becoem a regular route?

moonbeam

Post Number: 796
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 1:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I want to know what is going to happen in the East since I live in sw Virginia. I would thinking this would be a safe place to live here in the Blue Ridge mountains. There is alot of land and plenty of remote places still not on a gps. We also have alot of caves here and running creeks and springs. (Have heard it is safe to drink water from fast running streams if it runs over rocks). I have even looked at a few places that would be perfect on mountains here. Can anyone fill me in on why not here? BTW, anyone read the Foxfire books?

Jimmy

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 2:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Moonbeam..(nice name btw)

I am in the Philly suburbs about 15 miles from city hall in an old victorian RR suburb..rockwellian. This would not be so great being this close to the population centers. My guess is to be far from teh NE corridor of richmond to boston. This is wheer a 1/3 of teh us population lives. It's also the safest in terms of natural disasters. Only blizzards to worry about, no hurricanes, tornados are minmum, earthquakes scare....

I would guess that wheer you are in the spine of montains in VA or WVA would be good.

I'm guessing North Central PA...but this is still only 6 hours to 8 hours from Philly & NYC!!!

MB look at the begining of this thread, I did some latitude anlaysis...
does this help?

man in
Advanced Member

Post Number: 407
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 4:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

moonbeam, according to Edgar Cayce, Virginia Beach, VA will be one of the safe places to be. He was so confident in that prophecy that he moved his family and the A. R. E. there.
The Hopi claim where they live in the SW USA is the safe place to be.

But, really, who knows. I'll bear it out wherever I happen to be when and if the stuff hits the fan. Probably better off being around family and friends than in any other situation.

moonbeam

Post Number: 797
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 8:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Jimmy and man in, thanks so much for the help. I think I will take my chances right here in sw va. I know the land here and the mountains. I have a vermont cook woodstove and I'm about a mile from the river. There is a spring here on my property and I have several acres. I also own a weapon and may even buy a few more. My land is fenced. I have a wooded area and a good place for a john.

The problem would be the harsh winters here and we are in the city limits, but my husbands family taught me how to keep warm without electricity, and we own some land. We know how to can foods and chop wood, and have a great book on herbal meds. Infact, I have quite a library of good reads. I also have a great place to put a panic room and store food. My parents are right next door, along with my brother in law and sister, and they are gun lovers. So, I think we would be safe to some extent. We also prepared for Y2k, even though nothing happened it was a great survival learning experience and nothing went to waste.

I would rather not be here though, and am considering buying some property not too far from here in the mountains (I am in a valley) with running stream and a difficult place to find, no gps will find some of these places. I am keeping my eyes open for the right place and price. If I see the warning signs I will probably purchase.

My kids helped in preparing for Y2k. I know we have enough people to make a small community if need be. We have all had to work together in a family business and here on our property in the city from time to time, and so we know how to get along, blow up, get over it and start again. We are also a very spiritual bunch and I think that counts a whole lot.

So, I am better off than some and you are right about being with family. They are all that matters. If I find that special place in the wilderness they will be going with me, sure on that!!!

I will add tips as this thread goes along. Thanks again for the help.

anna

Post Number: 3236
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Moonbeam, I read a lot of Foxfire stuff. Mother Earth News magazine is good and any of the Storey books on simple farming skills....

Energy-Creations.com

anna

Post Number: 3237
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

And get lots of basic handtools....

Energy-Creations.com

Jimmy

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Moonbeam...you are far ahead of most of this board!
(and pardon my typos!)

I think I know your area as I travel I-81...Roanke- Bristol is sure mountainous but near to Knoxville & DC.

moonbeam

Post Number: 798
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yup Jimmy, you are in the right vicinity. Anna, plenty of hand tools here as my husband has collected them over the years. Plows, shovels, mallets, post hole diggers, you name it. Foxfire is useful reading for anyone who wants to know what it is really like living off the grid. Another thing, we all play musical instruments and sing. We should fit right in with the mountain folks. We also have friends that would probably want to go with us, the more hands for work the better! And one is an RN, which would certainly come in handy. Her husband is a good ole country boy who was raised on a farm, like my hubby and they have two children. With all of us it would make anywhere from 20 to 30 folks.

Some of us do have medical probs so I would have to prepare for that, but country folks can survive.

A tip: Grow onions because they are great for boiling down and giving juices for colds and pneumonia. Helps bring it all up.

Jimmy

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Moonbeam-
That's the rub, isn't it? Retirees site being far from medical care & grandkids as influneceing their choices.

Will someone please recommned me an "off the grid" book to buy & read? I peeped on Amazon and it's hard to tell. Soem are pretty pictures & fluff and others are How to build a windmill etc. I'd like a comprehensive good read.

Any ideas from my UC friends?
Thx-

man in
Advanced Member

Post Number: 409
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

http://www.realgoods.com/

the link above will take you to Real Goods out of CA. They are into solar and alternative energies, other stuff.

http://www.realgoods.com/category/books-media.do

above is their book topic page

Kokopelli
Username: auriga560

Post Number: 776
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 1:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Perhaps the best survival 101 book out there - the US Army Field Survival Manual ... and it's free! I printed off every page and have it stored in a 3 ring notebook.

http://www.equipped.com/fm21-76.htm
Knowing is arrogant; not knowing is stupidity; the way is far beyond both of these.

Jimmy

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 3:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

How about a story of how one couple did it?

xretsim

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 6:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i don't see the logic of moving so far away from everything. away from the people and institutions that can help you in a crisis. that doesn't sound like survival to me.

Kokopelli
Username: auriga560

Post Number: 777
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's a mixed bag. A crisis brings out the best as well as the worst in people. Day to day life in such a situation is a gamble as to which you would encounter next.
Knowing is arrogant; not knowing is stupidity; the way is far beyond both of these.

moonbeam

Post Number: 799
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 9:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It is a hard call xretsim. Stay and fight for what you have, like dogs, or move from confrontations and try and live peacefully, successfully without help.

Jimmy, taking parents or grandparents could be a real challenge, but remember the days when people had docs show up at their homes? It might go back to that, even women having their children at home. My husband and his siblings were all born on their farm and the wakes of their grandparents were held in the old farm house. My husband was just a little kid and they gave him the job of keeping the cats from entering the room and off his dead grandparents. Sounds morbid, but that is just the way things were back then and I think we will be returning to that sort of life. Everybody had their chores to do before they went to school and your day started at daybreak, or before.

Mama Shine
Username: mama_shine

Post Number: 12800
Posted on Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 6:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

One thing to consider.

If you are victims of a natural
disaster as I was, looters are real.
When you are existing without power on the remains of
what is left of your property. it's every person for yourself for awhile..its not reading about it or watching it on TV..it's real life. You don't think and act the same, it's difficult to explain it. Very little
clean food or water because the winds and flood have washed away anything you did have saved. No police protection and if there was you didn't trust them, nuff said on that. When you saw the spray painted words "you loot, we shoot" believe it. If you had to venture to someones remains where they were hole up it was a good idea to hold both hands in the air or wave a cloth. You are not that picky what you eat either..nuff said on that as well. I could tell some stuff but it ain't a pretty picture. Dead animals...smells..fear,uncertainty. It gradually got better but until it did it was hell on earth. Some didn't come back..at times I wished I hadn't. For people that have a nice secure out of the way place to live and be peaceful, count your blessings. I've stocked up and have what I think will help me if it happens again. On a lighter note, I can fish from my canal and I have a wonderful imagination.

I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. ~William Blake

anna

Post Number: 3243
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Jimmy Mother Earth News has lots of free articles you can access, just google it...

Energy-Creations.com

anna

Post Number: 3244
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Jimmy- http://www.motherearthnews.com/search.aspx?search=off%20the%20grid

Energy-Creations.com

Victoria
Username: victoria

Post Number: 597
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 9:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

On 10-25-08 Dreamland, Linda Moulton Howe gave a report on the disastrous North Polar Ice melt, sea rise, stalling of the North Atlantic Oscillation current.

This important report is BURIED at the end of the "Rise of the 4th Reich" interview with Jim Marrs and Peter Levenda, and I had a VERY hard time finding it.

On the "Living Off the Grid" thread, Whitley reports that this is happening AGAIN?

We need LMH to give us an UPDATE report on this topic, ASAP, please.

Whitley, is there a way to make available to UC folks (subscribers) a listing of LMH's report topics over the years, ie., with the date and where to find them within Dreamland archived interviews?

These topics are very important, especially now, so we can keep track of their progression, or keep the topics she covers updated periodically.

...and that's why LMH should have her own slot... autonomy, like Wm Henry has. I'd gladly pay a little extra in subscribers fees for this.
Too many people enjoy the comfort of opinion
without struggling through the labor of thought. JFK

blue
Username: jennyblue

Post Number: 922
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

As issue which shld be of concern to those of us working towards minimal dependence upon the "grid" is the latest version of a "food safety" bill -- contact your Senator regarding s501. For more information read my post under Health and Medicine topic.

Its the same old issues in a new combo package with the egg salmonella crisis as an emotional booster to pass a long needed "food safety" bill. With senators out on the campaign trail it cld be the best of times or the worst of times to call their attention to food safety vs agribusiness and Big Pharma issues. (The sicker we get the more 'medicine' they can put us on. Gotta keep a solid flow of guinea pigs comin . . . ~~ Harsh words, I know, and our doctors and nurses are caught in the middle -- its up to us to take back our right to be healthy!

It is said to effect what kinds of seeds can be grown, how food must be processed, and to limit the sale of herbs and nutritional supplements.
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Hopi Elders 2001.

to be a rock and still to roll . . .
change we can believe in is here -- The Ed Show
Love is the Way. ~ Jesus of Nazareth

Victoria

Post Number: 604
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 2:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

A Georgia farmer is being sued for
GROWING TOO MANY VEGETABLES
...on his own land! TRUE!

"A local farmer hobbyist in DeKalb County, Georgia, who sells or gives away the various organic vegetables he grows for fun on his land as he has for 15 years, is now being sued by the government.

His crime is growing too many crops for the property’s zoning in Clarkston, GA. He stopped growing crops this summer and worked to change the property zoning, which was successful. But, the government has decided to sue him anyway, retroactively — Steve Miller faces up to $5,000 in fines for growing his vegetables.

Miller is not an illegal alien, isn’t growing anything illegal, isn’t asking for government hand-outs or bail-outs, works with his own hands and skills to provide food for himself and others… so yeah, punishing the productive is the bullying government’s narrow path of action.

His neighbors are appalled and have rallied in his defense, and are calling this intimidation by the government 'Cabbage-Gate.'”

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/24979774/detail.html

Victoria

Post Number: 605
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 2:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Is this what we're to expect if we attempt to be prudent, productive and compassionate to our neighbor?

I mean, don't these govt. maggots need to use their publicly-financed jobs doing something useful? I hope they get the "ax" for wasting public money on malicious prosecution and get to feel "real-need reality" when they get to experience the "bread-line" 1st hand!

Skin Shed Mon
Username: shedmyskin

Post Number: 3297
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Its what to expect when there is too much bureaucracy. The good thing though is that at the local level our governments are very much still us. I think everything will be solved by the numbers of people in his community being upset about this. I've heard he has a lot of support. I would hope it make them back off. There should be common sense, this man is hurting no one, and is actually provided a service to the community.
In spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart. I simply can't build up my hopes on a foundation consisting of confusion, misery and death. -Anne Frank

Victoria

Post Number: 606
Posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 5:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I agree with you SSM.

But what burns me is the gall and evil attack by the "retroactive" action, and the fines levied against him. We hear about food shortages coming everywhere, in every country.

Practically each item I buy at the grocery store costs $5. How can people afford to feed nutritious food -- not junk (highly processed with chemical additives)/Frankin-food (GMO food) -- to their families these days? The junk/Frankin-food is cheap, but the real whole, fresh food is very expensive.

I tried to grow an organic veggie garden this summer, but an injury compelled me to abandon it. So much for my attempt to live off the land, argh!

Buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 3502
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 2:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I was brought up living
'off the grid' I suppose ..
My Dad used cinders from the
wood stove to fertilize his
potato green bean lettuce and
tomato garden..oh ya Godforbid
THE Rhubarb!! He used LIME to
smother and eat away the outhouse
crap and smell and flies..He also
painted it in white wash..I think
thats Lime and water? I know how to
do basic splice and wrap and wire
if it comes in handy and ..
I have some old tools like a horse
hoof clipper assorted wood plains etc!
if we ever need to start a UC camp

jimmyPx
Username: jimmypx

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 1:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Something else that worries me besides Natural Disasters is an EMP Blast.

It would take just 1 nuclear blast high in the atmosphere to fry EVERY piece of electronics in 1/2 the country. It is estimated that if the U.S. lost power for a year, 90% !!! of the population would die in that 1st year.

Here is a link to EMP and a really good fiction book on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-After-William-Forstchen/dp/0765317583/ref=sr_1_ 1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286471321&sr=8-1

(Message edited by jimmyPx on October 07, 2010)

Jimmy

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 2:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Newt Gingrich’s foreword sez it's cpmpletely possibile. I think teh slow killer would be food storage, no frig & no one with any growing skills nor anything stored for the winter.

I mean I watch teh madness of a 2-3 snowstorm in the Northeast as folks rush to the Grocery store (ACME or PATHMARK) and buy tons of food like they might starve to death.

When I think of my own house, we would be toast after a week, and then have to start forageing for food. Thankfully no one is diabetic or dependant on any electronic health monitors.

That EMP blast is extremely capable of happening, in fact more so than any climate disaster or dirty bomb...yikes!

esotericha
Advanced Member

Post Number: 215
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 9:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

emp won't affect can goods though, and every house should have a pantry or at least a box full of can goods - expiration date on most of them is meaningless, although they are putting 'degrade' stuff in some of the major brands to force you to buy again - you can always tell if its good, just slap one end of the can with your hand and you should feel it on the other end, if not its probably bad

potable water is our biggest worry after seeing how quickly we went through a truckload of 6 gallon containers during our militia's night ops (feeding approximately 40 in the desert for 2 days) and that doesn't count bottled water, canteens, etc

we've been discussing using a tank on a truck instead, but i hate putting all my chickens in one big tank so to speak - if the tank goes bad (or got shot?) we'd be in a pickle that no wal-mart run could save

even dried food is useless without a whole lot of water

Jimmy

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I wonder if there is a basic stock grocery list that would provide for a week? I'm not talking a 5 ft deep wall of canned goods, but rather 1 week? Sort of a half step...

We like a lot of people, use a lot of frozen foods, not 1 can good. I don't think I have used our can opener in a year. wow... we would be so vunerable in teh event of a big melt down.

Victoria

Post Number: 664
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Try thinking of dried food. You can get a machine that slow dries food, removing all the fluids. Meats, fruits, veggies, all you need is water or buy cans of broth to rehydrate them. You need to seal them really well though, and maybe get those little packets that keep moisture out.

Indians used to dry meat and fish, grind it with dried corn or meal, and store it in caches under ground till the winter season when food was scarce. Read up on that process... and try to avoid using preservatives... the Indians didn't use anything.

anna

Post Number: 3263
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Jimmy, here's some ideas from the Red Cross-
think protein, carbs, sugars and fats, w/little cooking.

Powdered milk - boxed
Dried fruit
Dry, crisp crackers
Potatoes
Canned condensed meat and vegetable soups
Canned fruits, fruit juices, and vegetables
Ready-to-eat cereals and uncooked instant cereals
Peanut butter
Jelly
Hard candy and canned nuts
Wheat
Vegetable oils
Dried corn
Baking powder
Soybeans
Instant coffee, tea, and cocoa
Salt
Noncarbonated soft drinks
White rice
Bouillon products
Dry pasta
Powdered milk – in nitrogen-packed cans

http://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/f&web.pdf

Energy-Creations.com

esotericha
Advanced Member

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

just think of going to a deserted island with no restaurant (or anything else) for a week - easy enough, you'll come up with the menu - dried and packable is the key, also meals you would like to have not just cause they're easy - also depends on how many you are cooking for

here's a sample menu we cooked:

day 1

fruits, nuts, cheese, cereal always available

breakfast - dried eggs w/ bacon pieces, toast, jelly, oj, coffee, pop

lunch - canned tuna sandwiches, packets of mayo, coffee, pop

dinner - dried salmon plank with chives, instant mashed potatoes with garlic powder, coffee, beer, pop

day 2

lunch - canned ham sandwiches, dijon mustard, coffee, pop

dinner - dried lasagna, instant chicken soup, coffee, beer, pop

day 3

lunch - canned tuna sandwiches, packets of mayo, coffee, pop

dinner - soy ramen, canned green beans, coffee, beer, pop

for both toast and sandwiches we use pan tostada from bimbo - ready and delicious and pre-toasted and even pre-buttered - keeps forever - also makes a great breading for pan frying

just keep building your menu, then be sure to try it out for a day or two

don't forget the can-opener!!!!

sahgwa
Advanced Member

Post Number: 354
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

soda is bad. it rots your stomach and leads to acid problems.
not to mention the corn syrup sugar extravaganza and caffeine.

I stopped drinking soda about 2 weeks ago for good and my congestion and acid from it is almost all gone. i still have to have my one or two cups of coffee in the morning but i will start lowering that soon too.

Victoria

Post Number: 671
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 1:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

sahgwa ~ don't forget that coffee today is GMO genetically modified... not sure what % is, but you might search out your favorite brand to check. I posted earlier on this topic and had links, but the "Search" isn't working for me... sorry.

BUT GMO anything is highly damaging to intestines, organs, and ultimately your longevity... maybe reconsider your choices.

Geez, if TPTB really want to do us in, they'll aim for GMO CHOCOLATE next! GMO WHEAT is soon to be on the grocery shelves, BTW!

esotericha
Advanced Member

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 3:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

mmmmmm....caffeine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gmo, schmimo - this here body will hopefully be buried with a generous supply of french roast coffee and high-fructose corn syrup energy drinks for the voyage through the afterlife - i for one certainly don't want to live forever, just basically hanging around now to see what lol happens next...

another thing to take into consideration is lifestyle and build, most of the militia guys are police and lawyers and others afraid they'd have to go overseas if they joined the guard so they just joined the local militia, and they are pretty much fit and need 3 meals a day cause they were very active, unlike the cooks! - here at home we just usually have one big meal per day, not breakfast, lunch and dinner

xretsim

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

gmo is almost everywhere (almost all processed food). it can't be avoided unless you want to be obsessive compulsive.

Jimmy

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I wnet to a small farm Wydmoor farm this weekend for a hay rdie & games & general fall festival.

One of the guys who helps is a teacher who works in the summer at the farm. He aid that this guy does all this WORK and creates these fall fun things just to break even on his taxes aND KEEP his land. It is hard work!

With that in mind I can see how 1/2 teh population will croak if we have to work teh land to survive.

mightyaphrodite
Username: mightyaphrodite

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Great Thread! Many of us are forming to create intentional communities, and Eco-Villages. Findhorn is an excellent community model..but there are many others that work well, too! :-)
"Where there is love there is life." -- Gandhi

Col. North
Advanced Member
Username: col_north

Post Number: 428
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Both beprepared.com and foodinsurance.com have alot of good information...anywhere from food storage to emergency kits.
"Behind every great man is a woman telling him he's wrong"--Ivan Frederick

Smith
Username: fractld

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, January 17, 2011 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

A very good article

http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/149552

moonbeam

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I found a property in the country that I would like to buy. The only problem is there are rattlesnakes in the vicinity, and I am not sure how to rid the property of them. I wouldn't want the property if that is a problem. I see where the former owner had a chicken coop and think that many have drawn them.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

anna

Post Number: 3500
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2012 - 1:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

You could look at getting a snake person out there to evaluate trapping/removing them?
http://energy-creations.blogspot.com/

http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/

Indigo
Username: indigo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 7:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Anna, didn't you build a chicken coop several years ago. I was looking for your posts on it but couldn't find them. Are you still doing it?
without struggling through the labor of thought.
~ JFK

Indigo
Username: indigo

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2012 - 7:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Anna, never mind! I just saw your blogspot site... nice!
without struggling through the labor of thought.
~ JFK

bidaabin
Advanced Member
Username: bidaabin

Post Number: 404
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Moonbeam-
I grew up on a farm in rural PA. There were rattlesnakes and I was always told that the best way to keep them away from the farm was to have sheep as sheep know how to scare them away. We never had a problem with any kind of snakes because of our sheep.
"The only enemy that mankind has ever had, is their devotion to ignorance.." Dr. Robert Ghost Wolf

moonbeam

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 9:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thanks you all. Someone bought the property before I could, and I really lost out. Still looking though and will keep those ideas in mind.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: