False "News" Claims on Unknown Countr... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

The Board » False "News" Claims on Unknown Country « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff
Username: geoff

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2012 - 3:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I note the latest news section claims that the tornado here in Auckland yesterday was caused by climate change.

There is no basis to this claim whatsover, and we get these tornadoes here every year or so. They occur in this area because of the convection that occurs down the middle of the narrow land between the Pacific and the Tasman that Auckland sits on.

It's frustrating to see this claptrap continually written on this site. Keep to the facts please, learn what you're writing about, and keep the fantasy/assumptions/imagination out of it. It's disrespectful to those who died, and those grieving for them.

man in
Username: thirdpal

Post Number: 905
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2012 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

don't you think it's disrespectful to life on the planet that so much pollution IS happening? You really don't think it could have an effect on climate?
In this county even the CIA and the Pentagon - two ultra-conservative gov't agencies - have both published detailed reports about how climate change will effect the future of nations.

I don't know about your tornado, but who are you to say the climate change folks are wrong?
CEO of BP?

Mr. Mthood
Advanced Member
Username: mthood

Post Number: 352
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 2:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

What exactly are the facts Geoff? Whether or not climate change is responsible for the uptick in severe global weather, because there is an uptick, is being debated. There are tornados every year. There are hurricanes and cyclones, and monsoons, and flooding, and snow storms, and droughts all over the earth. Of course they are are all "natural".

Whitley is not a scientist. He is an author and experiencer of some odd things. He's said, without fail for the since his book with Art Bell came out, that he believed we were in for some significant changes and violent weather. So far, he's right, but that's anecdotal. Science, at this point, is pointing towards more violent storms, and more energetic weather patterns, as well as changing precipitation and temp levels. Historic ice pack lows are happening in the Arctic circle, while an increase in ice is being seen at the S. Pole. Climate change denialist's point to this and as proof that everything is fine. Unfortunately, as usual, they have no idea what they are talking about.

From what I understand, tornados in NZ are usually quite mellow, and nothing near the energy levels of what happens elsewhere in the world.

I grilled supper the other day in shorts and a t-shirt. It's the beginning of December in the Northern latitudes. I should be shoveling snow. We experienced 100+ degrees here for weeks on end, and a historic drought, which we are still in. These are things that are far from the norm.

Yes, the planet changes, or we'd be hip deep in dinosaurs. If you don't like the "clap trap" posted here, why do you come back?

Geoff
Username: geoff

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

You have both assumed I denied climate change. Not sure how either of you managed that, as I wrote no such thing.

The writer of the news article reported that climate change caused the tornado in Auckland, despite the fact there is absolutely no evidence of that, and despite the fact that tornadoes happen here in this specific area every year.

It was a normal, albeit tragic event.

Unsubstantiated claims about an event that killed three people is not something you should defend, and it should be retracted.

man in
Username: thirdpal

Post Number: 932
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Late apology Geoff. I thought, wrongly, that you were one of those folks who denies that change is happening, whatever the source. Sorry about that.

M
Username: ascension1

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 12:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I miss Man IN.

(In hopes he'll get the message)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
-Joseph Joubert-

Buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 6156
Posted on Friday, July 19, 2013 - 2:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Holding back a Giggle

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: