2-22 2013 Bigfoot DNA Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Dreamland » 2-22 2013 Bigfoot DNA « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

skeptic tank
Intermediate Member
Username: skeptic_tank

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 8:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

For me, the big takeaway from this episode is that it's yet another example of what a fraud science is. (Edit: In case it's not clear about why this is my big takeaway; I'm referring to how all these "scientists" are completely disassociating themselves from the proven DNA results.)

Scientists (and most of the public) will usually make grand, praising proclamations about science. About how it's all about finding out the truth of things. How scientists are inherently curious and want to discover new things. Striking down ignorance. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Unfortunately, that is only the cereal-box-ad-slogan version of science. That's the Gumdrop Fairy version. In this Magical Fantasyland, medicine and the drug companies are all about trying to cure and help people. Politicians and Washington only exist to spread freedom and serve the best interests of joe sixpack. And religion only cares about spirituality and trying to spread good morals.

Now if you were to point out the hypocricy of those institutions to the science-worshippers, they would agree that all of that is bunk. Of course none of those institutions are about those things--despite what their mission statements are. But science? Oh, science is all about finding out the truth. To this day, science is all about finding out the truth.

All institutions--especially those in which money, power and control are part of the picture--are corruptible. But isn't it strange how out of all these institutions, science goes largely unscathed? You can find many people who see the hypocricy of Washington, but if you question the hypocricy of mainstream science, you're some kind of Bible-thumping neandrethal. (Which is why I agree with Lloyd Pye when he says that science is the new religion.)

You can make fun of religion all you want, for their hypocricy is pretty obvious. Drug companies--well, that's a harder sell. Even though their corruption/greed is pretty obvious to some, a lot of the public will call you a conspiracy theorist if you were to suggest that mainstream medicine, the FDA and drug companies actually are not the selfless healers they portray themselves as being. (That's one of those things, I'm guessing, where you have to have been personally injured or had your life ruined in order to understand how corrupt medicine is. Unfortunately I fall into this category.) Still, thankfully, there is a segment of the population that sees the B.S. there.

And if you look at the history of science, it's practically as embarassing as the history of religion. New ideas have been regularly ridiculed, despite the confirming evidence (even for concepts that we take for granted as true today). The scientific community as a whole regularly repeats dogma, as much as any hardline religous fanatic--with nary a thought to question whether that dogma is true. Very often, the supposed bedrock of their institution, "The scientific method," is merely an afterthought, or even a complete non-factor, in their official proclamations to the public about what is "true."

It's easy to point to examples from the past in which science got it wrong and have the public understand that wrongness after-the-fact. It turns out margarine is the not the healthiest thing for you. Nor is smoking good for pregnant women. And everyone today will agree that those ideas were silly.

But this is inevitably followed up with the notion of, "Well, those were just silly people from a long time ago. It's a good thing science has cleaned up their act today! The people of today are really smart and discerning! I mean, we have reality shows and Twitter--that just proves how advanced we are!"

And so people go on believing a whole new set of dogma. Things that fly as much in the face of truth as those previous examples. The collapse of building 7 on 9/11 happened because of a miracle (and don't you DARE ever suggest anything else! Because that would be unpatriotic and unthinkable!). Mercury in vaccines are good for kids. GMO foods are all about helping starving people. Sodium fluoride--literal toxic waste from the aluminum, fertilizer and nuclear industries--is good for people. Drugging your kids brains is not at all harmful (or drugging your baby, if he "cries too much" since crying is a "negative" emotion), especially if they seem distracted in class, because they all have a disease called "ADHD," and it's good that the drugs sap them from being imaginitive and dreaming, destroys their coping mechanisms and makes them more prone to suicide, psychosis, etc. And on it goes.

If one were to contradict any of the fairytales of today, you'd most likely get screamed at or ridiculed for being an idiot. Because "everyone knows" those things are true. Science has proven it.

I suppose it's possible that 100 years from now people will be smirking at how gullible people from today are for blindly believing science about those things. But if human nature hasn't magically changed over the interim (and I suspect it won't, barring a miracle)--they will probably be believing a whole new set of fairytales. Fairytales propped up by corporate interests and grant money and the lust for control.

And that's the end of my rant.

(Message edited by skeptic tank on February 24, 2013)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bean
Username: tina

Post Number: 2337
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 7:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Skeptic! I salute you. Seriously, great post!!
bean.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: