Archive through June 30, 2012 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Superstorm / Climate Change » Post Your Weird Weather Here » Archive through June 30, 2012 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

brit
Username: brit

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2012 - 8:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204301404577171531838421366.html
"The brighter the light, the darker the shadow."

miaree9
Username: miaree9

Post Number: 4928
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 2:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Interesting article, brit. As a counterpoint, I will offer an article noting the research of climate skeptic Robert Muller who started the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project (BEST) to show the world how to do climate analysis right: Climate Skeptics Take Another Hit.

From the article:

In the press release announcing the results, Muller said, "Our biggest surprise was that the new results agreed so closely with the warming values published previously by other teams in the US and the UK." In other words, climate scientists know what they're doing after all.

brit

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 3:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

"…we redistribute de facto the world’s wealth by climate policy…One has to free oneself from the illusion that international climate policy is environmental policy. This has almost nothing to do with environmental policy anymore…” IPCC co-chair of Working Group 3, Dr. Ottmar Endenhofer, November 13, 2010 interview

brit

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2012 - 7:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2093264/Forget-global-warming--Cy cle-25-need-worry-NASA-scientists-right-Thames-freezing-again.html

miaree9

Post Number: 4930
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 2:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Brit, today I ran across this article which is a direct response to the original article you posted from the Wall Street Journal: WSJ Publishes Op-Ed From 16 Climate Deniers, Refused Letter From 255 Top Scientists.

From the article:

The most amazing and telling evidence of the bias of the Wall Street Journal with respect to manmade climate change is the fact that 255 members of the United States National Academy of Sciences wrote a scientifically accurate essay on the realities of climate change and on the need for improved and serious public debate around the issue, offered it to the Wall Street Journal, and were turned down. The National Academy of Sciences is the nation’s pre-eminent independent scientific organizations. Its members are among the most respected in the world in their fields. Yet the Journal wouldn’t publish this letter. Instead they chose to publish an error-filled and misleading piece on climate because 16 so-called experts aligned with their bias signed it. This may be good politics for them, but it is bad science and it is bad for the nation.

This article also points out that among the scientists listed in the Wall Street Journal article were tobacco apologist Richard Lindzen of MIT and ExxonMobil executive Roger Cohen, who concede that manmade carbon dioxide emissions have a warming effect on the planet, but argue that the effect is 'small' and nothing to 'panic' about.

miaree9

Post Number: 4931
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 3:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Brit, I should also point out that the Wall Street Journal article you linked emphasized the opinion of Dr. Ivar Giaever who is retired and has published no work on climate science. He has long been considered a climate skeptic: Ivar Giaever.

From the resume:

Giaever's climate science resume is limited to serving on a climate change discussion panel at the 51st convention of Nobel laureates in physics, chemistry, physiology and medicine. At the convention, Giaever stated he is skeptical of the importance of the issue of global warming.

brit

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 7:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

So just to be clear: anyone who is a 'climate skeptic' is by definition 'wrong' and anyone who agrees that global warming is a grave threat is 'right'. Is that correct?

And just to be clear also: even though the amount of government money used to push the 'we're all gonna die from climate change' message dwarfs anything from industry of any kind, those few who have links to any form of industry (to get funding denied to them by the government perhaps) are by definition 'biased' and the others aren't. Is that also correct?

Also, if it was 'error filled' what were those errors? Similarly, if it was 'misleading' in what way was it misleading?

I'm not asking you to bury your head in research to answer this miaree =0) I'm just saying that, from the other side of the fence, massive funding and propaganda from the government side of things can also seem like 'bias'.

And since governments take their lead from the IPCC, a political body, which is demonstrably biased in all sorts of ways, that's not really surprising.

brit

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 7:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

And since you mentioned BEST here's a couple of links which may be of interest:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/11/17/why-best-will-not-settle-the-climate-debat e/

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/11/03/a-considered-critique-of-berkley-temperatu re-series/

They're very geeky, which kind of reinforces the point that what you read in newspapers is very much cherry-picked, according to whatever bias they're involved in. The devil really is in the detail.

miaree9

Post Number: 4932
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

No, brit, just being skeptics doesn't necessarily make them wrong. However, I have noticed that if you trace their associations, their funding, and their history, you will often find ties to oil companies or to organizations which have close ties to the petroleum industry. For instance, Giaever has ties to the Cato Institute which in turn was founded by one of the billionaire Koch brothers whose family made its fortune by developing an innovative crude oil refining process. BEST also received significant funding from Koch industries. Although I usually do not rely on Wikipedia, they do present some interesting information regarding Koch Industries.

I don't necessarily trust government, but I trust big business less. The devil is, in fact, in the details. I prefer to take a balanced approach and attempt to uncover as much information as I can concerning the issue of global climate change. Often, I find that there is reason to question the so-called evidence on either side. Others, of course, are free to pursue the matter in any fashion they choose. However, it is always interesting to 'follow the money' and ask the question: Cui bono?

brit

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 - 8:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well talking of money, we must also look at who is involved with the IPCC, the source of much of the hysteria in the media. This body of course is not a scientific body, nor are many of the people working on it's reports scientists. Indeed many are simply activists who are happy to include work done by advocacy groups such as Greenpeace and WWF, which is then touted as fact.

But these are not scientific bodies either and have a very slanted and narrow agenda of their own. Some of which are downright anti-human. Even the founder of Greenpeace will tell you that.

The fact is - and it is a fact - politics has hijacked the whole argument. This coupled with the fact that the media thrives on bad news stories means that cherry-picked reports are what the masses read and then these negative, hysterical views sink into the collective consciousness like urban myths dressed as facts.

Look at the 'Hockey Stick' for example. Thoroughly debunked by statisticians and maths experts with more expertise in those fields than Michael Mann himself yet it is still held up as some sort of gold standard of science. Brian Jones of the UEA doesn't even know how to use an Excel spreadsheet. It is surely a sign of the times we live in that such poor science has become mainstream.

The IPCC is as bad as any corporate interest. IMO, it's worse, because the consequences of its propaganda are proving more costly to the world than any corporate interest ever did.

Because of the hysteria they helped to promote, my country's beautiful landscape is being festooned with useless windmills. It is an irony indeed that so called 'greens' think nothing of despoiling the landscape and chopping up birds in the name of some King Canute like attempt to 'combat' climate change. The arrogance of their hubris is breathtaking.

I've been reading through the last batch of 'Climategate' emails and take it from me, these guys don't really have a clue what is actually happening - and admit this in private to each other.

Yet puffed up idiots like Al Gore and Richard Branson happily jaunt off to the Antarctic in the summer to film melting ice and will no doubt come back and tell us we're all doomed. It's nothing but a circus.

It is a scandal that we are being led down a path of hugely expensive and ultimately futile measures simply because some geeks came up with some 'what if' scenarios derived from computer programs and manipulated data - and personally, I want no part of it.

miaree9

Post Number: 4955
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 9:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Brit, I think you might find this article interesting: Climate Science Goes Megalomaniacal.

anna
Username: anna

Post Number: 3492
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mild here lately, almost 50! Then woke up to snow yesterday, and much colder today...
Energy-Creations.com

http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/

animalspirits
Username: animalspiritstalstarcom

Post Number: 10496
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 6:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Unusual number of vortices formed around the globe today
Understand that all things are sacred--yet nothing is sacred. ~Yotee Coyote

Blog: http://animalspirits--withoutfear.blogspot.com

anna

Post Number: 3495
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

More snow tomorrow...
Energy-Creations.com

Sharon2
Username: sharon2468

Post Number: 4112
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 9:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Amazingly mild here in Central Ohio! Sunny and balmy yesterday.

But winter's not over yet!!!
Our life is determined by the choices we make!

blue
Username: jennyblue

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

and we havent even reached solar maximum yet . . .
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Hopi Elders 2001.

to be a rock and still to roll . . .
change we can believe in is here -- The Ed Show
Love is the Way ~ Jesus of Nazareth

Alea
Username: alea73

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I live at around 7,000 feet above sea level. On Friday morning I awoke to 3 inches of snow on the ground, and a kitchen covered in sugar ants! They have never made their appearance this early. My son has been sneezing quite a lot. Yesterday, I was cleaning his room and saw that the pinon pine outside his window was making pollen!

Forcast today for wind! I'm so tired of WIND!!! It's agitating, and it creates danger for forest fires. We had one of those last year, and it looked like Armageddon. It was so horrible. All the little animals.

Jimmy
Username: chippyo

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2012 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Daffoilds flowers are up & bloomed in the woods! they are 1 month early!

SE Pennslyvania..
"Don't take life to seriously;no one gets out alive."

Second Wind
Username: second_wind

Post Number: 6076
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

After the time change Saturday night, I had reset all clocks and such, except for the timer on my landscape lights.

So, on Sunday evening, I reset the clock portion forward to the current time, and then reset the "turn on" time for the lights to come on at dark.

Unsure exactly what to set the "turn off" time for, I turned on The Weather Channel on TV, to wait for my "Local on the Eights", so that I could look up sunrise time for Monday morning.

I watched the next "Local" segment, and noted the sunrise time, but then saw something on the screen that made me do a double-take.

I thought I must have been misreading something, so I waited for the next "Local on the 8s", and there it was again.

Still, I waited for the NEXT local segment, just to be sure....and there it was again.

But I just shrugged, and thought, well, I'll look it up tomorrow.

It said that my area had experienced a record low temp the night before of 1 degree, and gave a date of the last recorded record low, which I didn't even make note of, because I was so flabbergasted by the report of the record low from the night before.

Again, this was in the "Local on the 8s" segment for my area, and as far as I could tell, all the other pertinent data was accurate, or at least, not so far off that it stuck out.

And, again, I watched 3 consecutive "Local on the 8s" segments to make sure I was actually seeing what I was seeing. And the statement came just after the "Almanac" screen, and was followed by local forecast, including the extended picture.

After searching this morning, NOWHERE have I been able to find anywhere in the US that even recorded a low temp of 1 degree. anywhere in the past month, even, much less one occurring on Saturday night/Sunday Morning. In actuality, it did not even get down to freezing any time over the Fri. thru Mon. time frame.

I could kick myself that I did not have the presence of mind to turn on my VCR and record what I was seeing displayed on the "Local on the 8s".

Not that it would make any difference in the grand scheme of things, even if I had recorded it.......

Things that make you go HMMMMM.....
"In the end, only kindness matters."

anna

Post Number: 3496
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 8:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Where are you, in the south or?

It's been really warmer than usual the last 2 months, with a spot of snow once in a while. I hope we don't get a really hard freeze after my fruit trees bloom. We had a very wet spring last year, my garden loved it!!!
Energy-Creations.com

Second Wind

Post Number: 6077
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 2:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

anna, I am in West Texas.

I am hoping we get enough moisture soon to break our severe drought. Last summer was brutal. We went over a solid year with no rainfall. It was just awful! Lots of trees, shrubs, and yards died.

I love warm....even HOT....weather, and just hate cold weather....but still, last summer was scary.

The weather is just pretty scary all over....it's all out of whack!!! (No kidding, huh?)

Sharon2

Post Number: 4132
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 6:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

In Central Ohio...

The last couple of days, we have been in the 70s! My chives are sprouting already! We only had a few days of extreme cold this winter. Typically, Jan and Feb have been nasty... but not this year!

This morning it is in the 50s and we have had thunder and hail for two hours now. Way weird!

NATiVE ALiEN
Username: blue_screen

Post Number: 4504
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 3:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i'm pulling weeds in March in Philly...flowers are growing, butterflies, wasps, flies, ants...its like its May...i've never seen anything like this...
"This gets me to a question that returns to my mind practically every day of my life: what are the visitors?"

Whitley Strieber

StarMaiden
Username: carla

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Here is West Michigan it was 83 today and the forecast is 5 degrees warmer tomorrow! This is crazy

Tashina
Username: tashina

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Here in Central Maine , todays temperature was in the 80s, tomorrow more of the same, we've broken a few records lately. Flowers are up and the lawn is turning green.

Sharon2

Post Number: 4136
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Same here, in Central Ohio! The first day of spring has felt more like the first day of summer! In the 80s!

Our Forsythia bush is blooming a WHOLE month early!

anna

Post Number: 3503
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 2:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

75 today, high tomorrow 45, ugh....
http://energy-creations.blogspot.com/

NATiVE ALiEN

Post Number: 4549
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 9:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

KANSAS CITY, Kansas — A Kansas man was struck by lightning hours after buying three Mega Millions lottery tickets, proving in real life the old saying that a gambler is more likely to be struck down from the sky than win the jackpot.
Bill Isles, 48, bought three tickets in the record $656 million lottery Thursday at a Wichita, Kan., grocery store.
On the way to his car, Isles said he commented to a friend: "I've got a better chance of getting struck by lightning" than winning the lottery.
Later at about 9:30 p.m., Isles was standing in the back yard of his Wichita duplex, when he saw a flash and heard a boom -- lightning.
"It threw me to the ground quivering," Isles said in a telephone interview on Saturday. "It kind of scrambled my brain and gave me an irregular heartbeat."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46915119/ns/us_news-weird_news
"This gets me to a question that returns to my mind practically every day of my life: what are the visitors?"

Whitley Strieber

animalspirits

Post Number: 10569
Posted on Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 9:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Not exactly weird, but cool none-the-less:

The first sprites of summer appear in the skies of North America

...especially the photos...

Blog: http://animalspirits--withoutfear.blogspot.com

Buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 5074
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 8:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Under not such weird weather..

I wanted to show the video
of the transport trucks and
containers flying around in
the last Texas Tornado looking
like feathers..tumbling in
mid air like FEATHERS ..
and no lives taken..
But I can't find it except
on my weather network which
my old Comp can't figure out..
Its amazFing.. I've seen lots
of video BUT NEVER ANYTHING
LIKE THIS LIKE FEATHERS
TUMBLING over and over in the
air OMG the power.. and no lives
were taken .. Blessings in rebuilding

(Message edited by buddie on April 04, 2012)

miaree9

Post Number: 5012
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2012 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Start of 2012, March Shatter US Heat Records.

From the article:

It has been so warm in the United States this year, especially in March, that national records were not just broken, they were deep-fried.

Temperatures in the lower 48 states were 8.6 degrees (4.8 degrees Celsius) above normal for March and 6 degrees (3.3 degrees Celsius) higher than average for the first three months of the year, according to calculations by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. That far exceeds the old records.

The magnitude of how unusual the year has been in the U.S. has alarmed some meteorologists who have warned about global warming. One climate scientist said it is the weather equivalent of a baseball player on steroids, with old records obliterated.

"Everybody has this uneasy feeling. This is weird. This is not good," said Jerry Meehl, a climate scientist who specializes in extreme weather at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo. "It's a guilty pleasure. You're out enjoying this nice March weather, but you know it's not a good thing."

Meanwhile, scientists are predicting another hot, dry summer for us here in Texas.

miaree9

Post Number: 5020
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 1:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ah, there's nothing quite like springtime in Potter County, Texas--thank goodness: 2 to 4 feet drifts of hail collected in Potter County, Texas.

animalspirits

Post Number: 10591
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2012 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Severe dust and thunder/hail storms in India

Keep your eyes on the weather worldwide. It affects us all.

Blog: animalspirits--withoutfear.blogspot.com

miaree9

Post Number: 5047
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

103! Abilene breaks 100-degree mark in April for only second time in recorded history.

Second Wind

Post Number: 6206
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 1:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's scary, on many levels, Miaree.

animalspirits

Post Number: 10640
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2012 - 4:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Study Indicates a Greater Threat of Extreme Weather

animalspirits

Post Number: 10641
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2012 - 9:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sometimes pollen is really bad.

Mysterious green cloud over Moscow spark nuclear disaster fears

animalspirits

Post Number: 10668
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 9:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Violent tornado near Toulouse, France

dennis
Username: dennis

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2012 - 3:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Whats happening with our weather, i am in the South East of London and this weeknd the average temperature is going to be between 8 and 10 degrees , with frost at night, something is not right, March in the 70's and May in the low 40's, The weather forecaster's sound a little embarrassed explaining it.

animalspirits

Post Number: 10681
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2012 - 7:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

More bad news.

Report warns of rapid decline in US Earth observation capabilities

animalspirits

Post Number: 10687
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Japan Tornado: Twister Near Tokyo Kills 1, Injures Dozens

dennis
Username: dennis

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Still getting frosts at night and only 7 to 12 degrees during the day, and its the third week of May, is it a sign of a change ?.

lassensage
Intermediate Member
Username: lassensage

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

80F here at noon today, normal would be snowing. We get some days in the 80's by late June, never before in the middle of May.

It was 40F last night, which is close to normal for nighttime temps for May.

lassensage
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 5:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Our strawberries are blooming, never seen this before mid-June.

animalspirits

Post Number: 10723
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 8:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's not even officially hurricane season yet...and here they come.

This season is going to be a bad one.

Tropical Storm Alberto Expected To Stay Offshore

animalspirits

Post Number: 10726
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Northern Italy is shaking – More than 70 aftershocks after M6.0

animalspirits

Post Number: 10733
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 7:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

This thing just looks so cool:

Rotating thunderstorms produced rare “mothership” cloud over Texas

Sharon2

Post Number: 4196
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 9:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Late May in Central OHIO.... This is Spring?

It was 90 degrees yesterday and HOT again today.
I saw a lightning bug last night!
Don't usually see them until JULY!

-------------------

Sharon2

Post Number: 4197
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 9:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

AnimalSpirits, That was one scary looking cloud formation!!!!

blue

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2012 - 7:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

roses bloomin all over the place -- irisis! -- sweetwoodruff, lavender (all at the same time?!) I found a rosemary plant that actually survived the winter (no small feat in southern wisconsin) My sage plants (which usually survive) look like early-mid summer. WEEDS! (?!) in my garden overtaking my raised beds (they're in there somewhere . . .). The peonies are holdin out -- but I think another 90 degree day and they all just might explode -- and its not even June yet.

Given that the sunspot and CME activity will likely increase over the next year or two -- can we expect more of the same next year?
Hopi Elders 2001.

blue

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2012 - 7:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

dennis, whitley says that Great Britain/Europe are colder now because the Gulf Stream (which warms the climate up there) has slowed down and sometimes stops altogether (the water is getting cooler) -- perhaps due to north polar ice melt off . . .
Hopi Elders 2001.

Geoff
Username: geoff

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 3:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

From weatherwatch.co.nz

Tuesday night in the US, two super-cell thunderstorms collided over the metropolitan area of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma…the heart of what is commonly thought of as “Tornado Alley” in the United States.

The size of the hail produced was as rare as the event itself. Hail as big as grapefruit was reported around the area, up to 10cm in diameter. In some cases, hail completely covered the ground much like it did in Wellington Tuesday morning.

Super-cell thunderstorms are known for producing tornadoes. But on this occasion, it was the hail that stole the show. There was only one tornado report. It was weak and touched down only briefly. Another rarity for a weather even like this. Another unusual occurance related to this type of severe weather; no injuries or fatalities were reported.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGstTluQ8H0&feature=related

Second Wind

Post Number: 6468
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 9:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

GOOD LORD!

And I thought the tennis ball sized hail that destroyed all the roofs in my area a couple of years ago (including mine) was bad!

animalspirits

Post Number: 10742
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2012 - 6:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hurricane Andrew hit during an El Nino year.

Sea surface temperatures at the start of hurricane season

lassensage
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 3:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Rain,snow and hail last night..and we have a fire going today..Rainy day in low 40's after wks of near 80's here in N.California.

animalspirits

Post Number: 10774
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2012 - 9:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

This is not really weird, but it is cool to watch:

Footage of Upsala Glacier capsizing

animalspirits

Post Number: 10780
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 9:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Violent tornado hit Venice, Italy

animalspirits

Post Number: 10813
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2012 - 9:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Maricopa sandstorm timelapse (Phoenix US, June 16, 2012)

Mr. Mthood
Intermediate Member
Username: mthood

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - 9:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Weirdly hot and dry, rain way below normal. Mums are blooming months early. Grass August-like dry. High fire danger.

animalspirits

Post Number: 10818
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Meteor shower grounds Springer fire air support

Geoff

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2012 - 3:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

A "tropical cyclone" forming near the South Pole next week. Nowhere near the tropics!

See video below, from the 3:10 mark onward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4woc3QqQ1FQ

Sounds interesting!

anna

Post Number: 3509
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 5:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We've been yo yoing, temp wise, for months. We had snow in our hills a few weeks ago, then in the 90's. I planted my veggies really late, and had frost damage on a tree. Very strange and doesn't bode well fr the future...
http://energy-creations.blogspot.com/

lassensage
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 189
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 7:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Here in the mountains of Far N.Ca. we are having a cold spell..Mid-50's here today..Fired up the wood stove last night just before the rain started.

First time we have ever needed a fire in late June.

Normal would be sunny with no rain all summer..However we should be back in the 80's in a few days.

NATiVE ALiEN

Post Number: 4763
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 9:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Tropical Storm Debby formed Saturday, the National Hurricane Center said, making it the first named storm in the Gulf of Mexico this season. A tropical storm warning was issued for part of Louisiana's coast from the Pearl River west to Morgan City, the center said in a late afternoon advisory.

Debby makes four named Atlantic storms before July 1 -- the first time that's happened since record-keeping began in 1851.

Whitley Strieber

animalspirits

Post Number: 10822
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

No kidding!

We are getting constant hard rain that is to last through tomorrow evening.

Debby! Debby! Oh, where are you going to land?

Debby! Debby! Will you make landfall as a tropical storm or hurricane?

Debby, oh Debby...quit stalling around and move your rear somewhere.

Mama Shine
Username: mama_shine

Post Number: 15714
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 9:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We have high water from Debbie but she turned toward Fla. My son Mitch just moved from
Asheville NC to Panama City...surprise, surprise.

Yes the storm is making the water rise here and
ole Stanley Goose is up in the yard cause the water is almost there.

Take care Animalspirits and my Mitch and all those that may be troubled. My heart goes out to
ya'll.
I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. ~William Blake

animalspirits

Post Number: 10823
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 9:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I believe PC is going to be OK.

We are another matter. It is really nailing us.

Hoping Roscoe can yet again save us.

Only 1 and a half in. of rain so far, but a big ugly is headed our way...for late nite...it is always late nite.

See ya'll on the other side...

lassensage
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2012 - 3:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Animalspirits, Was wondering how you are doing with this storm..

lisa
Advanced Member
Username: thunderchicken

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2012 - 7:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Down here south of Sarasota the bands have been hitting us for 2 days. About 4 inches of rain so far.
The circle of life sure has some sharp edges!

Geoff

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2012 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Update on the unusual antarctic "tropical cyclone":

http://www.weatherwatch.co.nz/content/video-significant-storm-brush-lower-south- island

Sharon2

Post Number: 4233
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2012 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Central Ohio...

Last week we were in the 70s and 80s.
This week we have been in the mid to high 90s. It feels like Las Vegas. It was close to 100 today.

After supper we had this freaky storm with incredibly HIGH winds that toppled several of our trees. Two of which took out large chunks of our driveway. I have never experienced anything as strong. We didn't loose our power but close to us there are 200,000 homes without power.

Sharon2

Post Number: 4235
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 9:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The winds, yesterday, clocked in at 80 MPH!!!
That is close to hurricane force!
We are thinking about getting one of those weather alert radios, because we had no idea this was coming our way!

Well, our yard looks like a hurricane hit it. Trees down all over the place and debris that will take awhile to clean up. But luckily, there was no damage to our house. And we still have power!

Did anyone else get blasted by this storm?

animalspirits

Post Number: 10830
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 9:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hurricane force winds begin at 73 mph.

80 mph winds are hurricane force winds. Category 1.

Sharon2

Post Number: 4237
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Whoa baby! Never thought I would see anything like it!

The man down the road from us, lost his barn and the windows in his house blew out!

Our cat ran away and came home looking like a drowned rat! He was outside with my husband when it hit!

Crazy weather!

animalspirits

Post Number: 10833
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 9:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sharon2,

Am happy you are all safe.

Cats are particularly prone to run away, sometimes they don't come back.

Also happy yours did.