Archive through September 10, 2008 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Superstorm / Climate Change » Earthquake/Volcano thread » Archive through September 10, 2008 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

sonorK
Username: sonork

Post Number: 617
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

On the science side, the chinese earthquake data on the IRIS website seems pretty interesting. It looks like the epicenter for each of the subsequent aftershocks is moving to the northeast....
"He did the same thing to us that he did to Monica Lewinsky." Jeremiah Wright on Bill Clinton

Aprylla
Username: astralgazer

Post Number: 1943
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

My God the numbers coming out of China are astounding. I know in some ways we consider them an enemy but I am praying for those poor people. Now it makes sense why I kept hearing the word Earthquake last week and why I've felt on edge lately. But I do have another thought on this and Myanmar. Both countries in the last year have had large clashes with monks resulting in deaths of monks. I'm wondering if this isn't some sort of karma.
"If you are going to control any population
for any length of time, you must have some measure of consent." Aldous Huxley

Granny
Username: phar9

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Aprylla ...

I know you realize the people of China are not our enemy ... they are just human beings ... the same as us except not nearly so blessed.

All governments are showing themselves to be enemies of the people ... puppets on the strings dancing to whatever tune that draws the gold and silver.

Gran
Signing up for "War Kittens"
Think Or Be Eaten ...

susi t learn
Username: etsi

Post Number: 11193
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

aprylla

i was thinking karma myself.

Regina
Advanced Member
Username: regina_chante

Post Number: 439
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm of the opinion that turbulent and suppressed energies must find their release at some point, some time. They will be expressed via an individual, a group, warfare, disease, the weather, volcanoes, tectonic plates, what have you. We are interconnected to everything else, so it's quite possible that the destructive Earthly activity going on around the planet is an expression of the planet's collective life form energies including forces completely foreign to most people (i.e. those of a galactic nature).

I have yet to meet a person who isn't feeling some form of suppression, oppression, anger, judgment, guilt, etc, and yet not a whole lot of healthy emotional purging is going on. Rather, most people are into pointing fingers. Fortunately, there is a growing number of folks who are making a heartfelt effort to grow up and evolve. That's all any of us can do, and though each of us feels small in comparison to the world events going on i truly believe in us and know that we are so very powerful and very good at healing ourselves and those around the globe who are suffering. They are not separate from us. When they fall we cry, and vice versa.

Yogu
Intermediate Member
Username: yogu

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yes, it's all connected. But we can't forget the Earth is a molten ball with a well-cooled crust that moves/has moved/will move. Is it the Chinese government's fault, as some here suggest? Or is it the Indian subcontinent ramming into the Eurasian plate?

We can internalize anything and give it meaning that may not objectively exist. I hear rumors are circulating now in Chengdu, my home of 6 years. They say it happened because of the government's push towards the Olympics, or because of the environmental problems they've been having, or because of the clash with Tibetans lately (the area affected is a mix of Chinese and Tibetan peoples).

Anyways, I've been using Google Earth to view some of my favorite spots and some of the places I've been hearing about in the news. If you have Google Earth installed (and you should!), try this link. It should open up Google Earth with a list of places I've designated. If that doesn't work, see my post here and click View in Google Earth

Yogu
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Aw, I missed a good pun up there -- Is it the government's fault, or is it the fault created when India rammed into Asia? Har.

But here are some pics from China websites. It seems there's a firm belief in earthquake clouds (wiki). This photo was taken May 14 near the epicenter and these were taken May 9 in Shandong, FAR FAR away.

Aprylla

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Think about the number of people that have died on the continent of Asia in the last 5 years. It's astounding when you do the math. The Tsunami and now this. Not to mention civilian deaths in Iraq and the recent cyclone in Myanmar. Either way it's a very, very large coincidence, an act of God or of the devil.

(Message edited by astralgazer on May 14, 2008)

Yogu
Advanced Member

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

That Google Earth tour of Sichuan I made is now here instead of where I said it was above. If anyone's interested.

I don't want to pick a fight. But why do you hint at earthquakes and hurricanes being acts of God or devil? Especially when they play out in regions prone to earthquakes and cyclones?? We see huge numbers of dead in Asia because many are relatively poor and live in densely populated areas. Add to that military juntas (Myanmar) and US-led occupation (Iraq), and we only compound the problem. Natural disasters shouldn't be blamed on God. Manmade disasters shouldn't be blamed on the Devil.

Plus, there's nothing wrong with big coincidences. Our entire universe is a big coincidence, really. I find that quite magical, not in the least dull or mechanical.

Aprylla

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Our Universe is not a "coincidence". Fundamentally we are coming at this from two different perspectives. I can't argue with you Yogu. We would run around in circles for days. Either way it is still horrifying what has occurred on that continent in the last 5 years alone. I just heard the number in China might be 50,000.

Aprylla

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Over 4,000 aftershocks reported since the Monday quake. That, to me, is an outrageous amount.

Regina
Advanced Member

Post Number: 441
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The link below (courtesy of C2C) has some very interesting information about natural signs that occurred before the China quake that showed something big was about to happen:

http://observers.france24.com/en/content/20080513-toads-predict-earthquake-dead- china

Someone in the comments section wrote that ants invade people's homes and birds fly erratically (pidgeons in particular) before a quake or eruption. Those are good things to know. Does anyone else have any "forewarning" signs from nature to share?

Indy
Username: indy

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 6:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Keep an eye on Chaiten. Something big is going to happen. It has already ejected far more material than Mount St. Helens. Now there is an indication that a possible explosion and collapse of the volcano is coming. But that may not be the worst of it. I found on another site a list of big quakes that preceded the eruption by about 24 hours. One person thought that perhaps the quakes outlined the magma chamber. I did the math on it. If the quakes do indicate the outline then we may be looking at an eruption not seen since Tambora.

The quakes would have outlined a magma chamber that was about 45km long and 30km wide. The oblong shape of the chamber would give it a surface area of about 460 km^2. This is roughly the same shape as the Yellowstone magma chamber (though smaller). The Yellowstone chamber is 60 x 40km and estimated at 10km from top to bottom. Assuming the Chaiten chamber was only half as thick (5km) that would put the chamber size at about 4,200 km^3.

Chaiten may have already ejected in excess of 5 km^3 and the eruption after two weeks is still going strong. Quake activity indicates magma is moving rapidly and unfortunately that pressure may be building up which would lead to the catastrophic explosion. When this is all done the eruption will likely leave a new caldera.

I read the USGS has just sent a team down there. I suspect they want to document this. To capture something like that on film would be historic.

Anthony O.
Intermediate Member
Username: anfernio

Post Number: 119
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Couldn't help but noticing...

Unknowncountry.com:
"The death toll from the recent 7.9 earthquake in China my eventually reach half a million"

BBC
"The number of confirmed deaths has now risen to 32,477, but officials say the final toll may reach 50,000."

LiveScience
"The death toll exceeds 15,000 and could rise to 50,000."

Yogu
Advanced Member

Post Number: 202
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yeh, that must be a big ol' typo, 'cos China's official figures as of right now are:
32,477 dead
220,109 injured
9,500+ buried
36,563 pulled from rubble
4.5 million displaced

Who at UC news would write "The death toll from the recent 7.9 earthquake in China my eventually reach half a million, many of them children?"

Sounds pretty sensationalistic and misleading. And then they have to end the story with: "A major collapse is coming, and it will shake YOUR world¡ªand that's the collapse of the website you tell us you love so much. Without your support, we're going under, so please remember to subscribe today." Maybe then they could afford a proof-reader and fact-checker??? hehe

susi t learn

Post Number: 11272
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i'd rather be asked for money in a different way than 'scared' into it. :-(

susi t learn

Post Number: 11273
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

regina

one may not want to keep a cockroach as a pet, but they run in circles before a quake.

animalspirits
Username: animalspiritstalstarcom

Post Number: 3105
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

...and per today's UC headlines, the Frogs are swarming in California.

Understand that all things are sacred--yet nothing is sacred.

~Yotee Coyote

Regina
Advanced Member

Post Number: 442
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I didn't know that about cockroaches... that's pretty interesting My dad got a full blown, knock down case of vertigo on couple days before the China quake. He's had problems with vertigo since he was young, and i just wonder if he's one of those folks whose extra sensitive to the Earth's movements.

Aprylla

Post Number: 1951
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Going back to what Indy said. I think as well that Chaiten needs to be watched. I was looking at maps of fault lines and a massive eruption from that Caldera could case a chain reaction south to north up the west cost of South America. Just read up update on it on the USGS site that said an even bigger eruption could be in the works.

Regina
Advanced Member

Post Number: 460
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

CHAITEN CONTINUES TO ERUPT
As you can see in this NOAA image, ash has spread across South America from the Pacific far into the Atlantic as Chile’s Chaiten Volcano continues to erupt.

The following report is from ECR subscriber and correspondent Kristen in Buenos Aries.

"Suddenly the media is not saying anything about what’s going on down there. Yesterday all flights to and from Buenos Aries were cancelled again because of the ashes.

"The city of Chaiten is absolutely disappearing under the water the fire the mud. The volcano is in complete eruption. The Rio Blanco river that crosses the town has flooded 95 per cent of the houses.

"In Argentina which is also very affected they are opening schools in some areas for the children…but they have set up a lot of buses to get out of the provinces (closest to Chaiten).

"According to the news from the Argentine side they are living in absolute terror. It is a horror what they are going through down there.

"The media shuts up because people in Chile are literally in panic because they have lost absolutely everything. They don’t know what to do. Where do they put thousands on the Chilean side and tens of thousands on the Argentine side?

"The danger is very high…the volcano has not stopped erupting… (Fortunately) people are safe…a 92 year old lady died of a heart attack because of the stress, but everyone else is desperate but safe."

Footnote Saturday May 24: Kristen advised as this went to press that Chaiten has again started to erupt violently. Flights to and from Buenos Aries had again been canceled.

source:
http://www.buycontacthasbegun.com/newsletter043.html

animalspirits

Post Number: 3166
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

...and they just had an earthquake in Columbia...

~Yotee Coyote

Aprylla

Post Number: 1958
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yeah the media is definitely not saying much about Chaiten. Also Sichuan is still suffering from aftershocks. They had a 5.7 today. Maybe I'm not knowledgeable enough about quakes but isn't it odd that there are still that strong of quakes in the region? Shouldn't the pressure have relieved by now?

Astro
Username: astroboy

Post Number: 3531
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Aprylla, that is a good question. I've been wondering about the Indian Sub-Continent continually pushing against the region.

I am curious as to what elevation changes may have occured since these quakes begain? GPS would tell the tale, no?
"And the lion roams..."

miaree9
Username: miaree9

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Earthquake rocks Iceland.

susi t learn

Post Number: 11424
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

that big one in iceland worries me-they have alot of volcanos.

anna
Username: anna

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Geographic coordinates: 64.026N, 20.985W. Magnitude: 6.1 Mw. Depth: 10 km. Universal Time (UTC): 29 May 2008 15:46:01. Time near the Epicenter: 29 May 2008 15:46:01. Local standard time in your area: 29 May 2008 15:46:01. Location with respect to nearby cities: 50 km (31 miles) ESE (106 degrees) of REYKJAVIK, Iceland.
Be the change....

Yogu
Advanced Member

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I hear Sharon Stone's getting bashed from saying the China earthquake was a result of "karma."

susi t learn

Post Number: 11433
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i don't know if it's karma, but i've often thought that the consciousness of the people affect mother earth.

animalspirits

Post Number: 3204
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yogu,

Yep, big time...over their treatment of Tibet.

She is the spokesperson for some clothing line...Dior I think and is getting canned from that.

~Yotee Coyote

susi t learn

Post Number: 11445
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i'm sorry, but i don't think a person should be executed nor apologize for stating an opinion.

i know there's a fine line there but it's gone too far.

censorship sucks.

Astro

Post Number: 3577
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

If indeed it is karma, then China should consider this...

http://www.panchenlama.info/

Tibet has suffered enough.

And continues to.
"And the lion roams..."

Yogu
Advanced Member

Post Number: 206
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ok, here's my problem with it. I know this isn't the philosophy thread, but I need to state my case.

We could say China was hit with an earthquake because of their cruel government; ditto for Myanmar's cyclone; Iraq is punished for what? believing in Islam; Aunt Jane got cancer because she's a mean ol' hag; and I stubbed my toe the other day because I was thinking bad thoughts.

You see where I'm going with this. Whether karma is real or not, we humans tend to think of simple causality, and we certainly grasp at straws when seemingly unexplicable disasters occur. WHY ME, GOD!?!

And plus it's insulting to the people of China, as much as it is to Aunt Jane. That's why someone with compassion would not so quickly deal blame or suggest "they deserve it."

Having said that, I don't fully understand how the universe works, but neither does Sharon Stone.

sonorK

Post Number: 640
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Amen.

Don't forget what Indonesia did to deserve that nasty tsunami....
"He did the same thing to us that he did to Monica Lewinsky." Jeremiah Wright on Bill Clinton

susi t learn

Post Number: 11450
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

first of all, i'm not saying i believe in the karma thing one way or another. but...makes one wonder. indonesia has the highest muslim population in the world. they are also a haven for muslim terroists, having destroyed over 700 churches there.

but like yogu said, who knows how the universe works.

Astro

Post Number: 3590
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

To be honest with it, I think we are all in trouble.

Just the musings of someone within the zone of destruction if Yellowstone decides to clear its throat.

"And the lion roams..."

Native Alien
Advanced Member
Username: blue_screen

Post Number: 332
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i can't shake the feeling that perhaps God is testing our love and compassion for our fellow man through these horrific natural disasters that seem to be focused on the poorest of the poor. just my opinion.
You don't want another Enron? Here's your law: If a company, can't explain, in ONE SENTENCE....what it does....it's illegal.

Lewis Black

Astro

Post Number: 3592
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Astro puts a weinee on a stick and sits with his rocket boots dangling over the edge of a caldera.

"And the lion roams..."

wolfshadow
Advanced Member
Username: wolfshadow

Post Number: 478
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Astro pass the mustard
"No matter where we run, the shadow that trots behind us is definitely four-footed." Clarissa Pinkola Estes

"Trust is a hard thing to give and even harder to earn"

animalspirits

Post Number: 3226
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Has anyone seen the Gnome toasting marshmallows?

~Yotee Coyote

wolfshadow
Advanced Member
Username: wolfshadow

Post Number: 479
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 5:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I love those commercials.I forgot all about that one thanks AS
"No matter where we run, the shadow that trots behind us is definitely four-footed." Clarissa Pinkola Estes

"Trust is a hard thing to give and even harder to earn"

animalspirits

Post Number: 3227
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

WS,

Be careful...you know what happened to the white Dove on the cliff diving one...

~Yotee Coyote

sonorK

Post Number: 646
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

susi,
I'm pretty far from being a Buddhist or whatever it is that has the 'karma' idea, but I think it is a fundamental truth of the universe..... but, karma is an individual thing and not something visited on a people because their gov't is heinous.

Astro, NOVA on PBS tomorrow night is about Super Volcanoes. I'll be in front of the idiot box with my 4 monkeys watching the show. I've already primed them with info off the website about Yellowstone.

sonorK

Post Number: 647
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Oh, check that - I think it airs June 17.... check your local listings for more accurate information - hopefully from someone who isn't caffeine deprived...

Astro

Post Number: 3603
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'll be at work when that comes on, sonorK, but please let me know what is the latest on Yellowstone.

I understand they just had another major fish kill up there from the water being too warm.

"And the lion roams..."

sonorK

Post Number: 650
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Will do. I'll have to look in on that fish kill.

My oldest was just fascinated with the apparent movement of the caldera over the last 15+ million years with the movement of our plate and how similar it was to the Hawaii island chain.

Pretty cool stuff, but I hope you guys have fair warning before anything nasty happens.

miaree9

Post Number: 1640
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Something's Shaking in Antarctica.

animalspirits

Post Number: 3317
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

miaree,

That was a very interesting post.

Greece just had an earthquake.

~Yotee Coyote

miaree9

Post Number: 1643
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I just read that online, AS. In addition, there was another relatively strong aftershock in China near the "quake lake" that caused more landslides. Our Mother sure is restless lately--and I'm feeling a little unsettled, as well.

animalspirits

Post Number: 3355
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Earthquake in Japan kills at least 2.

~Yotee Coyote

Aprylla

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Quakes are popping off coast of Oregon again. That area is really starting to worry me. Seems to keep building. I believe 5.6 today.
"It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul." Invictus William Ernest Henley

Lassen Sage
Intermediate Member
Username: lassen_sage

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Aprylla thanks for the info.

I am having a rough,shakey kinda day and my dogs keep on barking,an barking and barking...

One of those full moons with a wallop,argh...

Lets give it another spin, shall we???And round she goes...whee...

Lassen Sage
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

479 earthquakes this last wk(168 hrs)in California and Nevada have us rockin'and reeling out west.

Just hangin' on for the ride,so much for "Normal",I'm about ready to pile my stones and cuddle up with my fur friends.

This extra gravity wobblin' around is dang nabit tiresome...grrr...

GGG
Intermediate Member
Username: ggg

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Just had 5.8 earthquake in Chino Hills, California, with a 3.8 aftershock.

Just downgraded to 5.6...

(Message edited by ggg on July 29, 2008)
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

scion
Username: scion

Post Number: 2034
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I am on the 10th floor in an office building in L.A. - It felt like it swayed and rolled at least 10 feet!!! Waiting to hear when we can leave the building.
"She wears an Egyptian ring that sparkels before she speaks..."

anna

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hang in there! Been watching the news...
Be the change....

shedmyskin
Username: shedmyskin

Post Number: 956
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

hope all you left coasters in the shake zone are all doing alright.
If you can be told what you can see or read....then it follows that you can be told what to say or think.

Lassen Sage
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 4:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Glad to hear everyone is OK after the shake,where else can you go for instant reporting?Thanks for the info.

And the eclipse is FRIDAY,extreme high tides and maybe more quakes???

anna

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 2:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Several people at the SyzgyJob website said August is the big time to watch. Get supplies if you don't have them on hand and good luck! I worry more about Yellowstone, since I'm near that biggie :-(
Be the change....

anna

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 2:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

http://www.syzygyjob.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=81&Itemid=2

Link for the site...
Be the change....

anna

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 3:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

30-JUL-2008 13:39:33 40.46 -125.20 4.2
2.5 OFF COAST OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
Be the change....

Lassen Sage
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 3:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Looking at the world map there seems to be an east to west as well as a north to south pattern to these quakes.

Across the ocean from land mass to land mass like a ping pong???Maybe it is a balancing???

anna

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Or opening up the zippers???
Be the change....

Lassen Sage
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

As I am between two live volcanoes in the Ring of Fire,better it lets off steam elsewhere as far as I am concerned.

And I also noticed a pattern of deep earthquakes to surface.A deep with a surface quake next elsewhere,hmm,curious...

anna

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Time will tell....
Be the change....

anna

Post Number: 1667
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Volcano in Chile Shows Signs of Eruption-

Eruptions of smoke and ash from Chile's Chaiten renew fears among population. Chile's Chaiten volcano spews smoke and ash, renewing fears of residents and authorities who witnessed massive eruptions from the volcano in May.

After several weeks of relative calm, Chile's Chaiten volcano, groaned and rumbled on Thursday (July 31), shooting out ash and causing renewed fears among residents and authorities. Regional director of the National Geological and Mine Service, Jorge Munoz, said that the volcano had registered 105 tremors, many with relatively strong intensity coming in at roughly 4.0 on the Richter scale. "Well, there are two scenarios," said Munoz after surveying Chaiten from the air. "One scenario is very concrete - it is that the eruption is ending, the first cycle of the eruption is ending and we can in relation with the high seismic activity that we currently have, have the probability in a hypothesis that a second cycle could begin."

Geological experts are speculating on reasons for the renewed activity, and are looking at the possibility of a "pressure wave" building within the volcano. "Our fear is that clastic burst, in other words producing an explosion which hopefully will be partial as happened the last time.

However, that explosion could cause large swaths of forest fires," said Sergio Galilea a local superintendent. The Chaiten volcano, located some 760 miles (1,220 kilometres) south of the capital Santiago, started erupting on May 2 for the first time in thousands of years, spewing ash, gas, and molten rock into the air. Two weeks later, the government declared the town of Chaiten - only six miles (10 kilometres) from the erupting volcano - off-limits for three months and reported that some 90 percent of the town had been flooded by the Blanco and Raya Rivers.

No deaths resulted, but thousands of people of people were evacuated within a 30-mile (48 km) radius, including the 4,500 residents of Chaiten. Chile's chain of some 2,000 volcanoes --500 of them potentially active -- is the world's second largest after Indonesia's.

http://www.timesnow.tv/NewsDtls.aspx?NewsID=12524
Be the change....

anna

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 3:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Third Aleutian Volcano Erupts Explosively- 8/8/2008

Kasatochi Volcano in Alaska's Aleutian Islands erupted explosively Aug. 7, sending an ash plume more than 35,000 feet into the air and forcing two biologists from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to evacuate the island.

"Kasatochi went from a quiet volcano to an explosive eruption within 24 hours and with very little warning," said USGS volcano scientist Marianne Guffanti. "We are thankful our colleagues were able to get out before the eruption began. They were rescued just in time by a local fishing boat."

Kasatochi is the third volcano to erupt in the Aleutian Islands in three weeks. Okmok Volcano erupted unexpectedly and explosively on July 12, followed by Cleveland Volcano, 100 miles away, on July 21. Both volcanoes sent ash plumes skyrocketing and caused commercial airline flights to be diverted or cancelled.

Scientists relied on seismic instruments on other volcano networks in the area to detect activity at Kasatochi volcano. "Fortunately, the existing seismic networks on nearby volcanoes picked up the activity at Kasatochi volcano," said Tom Murray, scientist-in-charge of the Alaska Volcano Observatory (AVO). "They were installed with funding from the Federal Aviation Administration to reduce the hazard to aviation from volcanic ash. These networks were crucial in recognizing that this volcano had entered the first stage of a major eruption."

"Our hope is to have monitoring equipment on all volcanoes that pose the greatest threats to public safety," said Guffanti. "Satellite imagery is useful to see the big picture of what is happening and what is going into the atmosphere. But direct instrumentation, such as placing seismic monitors around a volcano, will help give an early warning and give people more time to plan for hazardous events."

Scientists are working around the clock to monitor the volcanoes and keep the public and emergency responders informed.

Listen to a podcast interview with Guffanti at http://www.usgs.gov/corecast/details.asp?ID=91. You can learn about the USGS Volcano Hazards Program at http://volcanoes.usgs.gov.

The AVO is a partnership of the USGS, University of Alaska Fairbanks Geophysical Institute, and the Alaska Division of Geological and Geophysical Surveys. Information about all of the current volcanic eruptions in Alaska including activity statements, images, background materials and related hazards can be found at the AVO home page: http://www.avo.alaska.edu.

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1987
Be the change....

anna

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 3:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Maybe Adams is clearing her throat???

Major Avalanche Reworks Mount Adams, Washington- Aug. 06, 2008

A two-mile-long avalanche of ice and rocks large enough to rattle seismometers has reworked the southwest face of Mount Adams. The volcano is usually very quiet, with few of the tremors that occur occasionally at other Cascade volcanoes such as Mount Hood. So the seismic signal from Mount Adams on Aug. 1 stood out to Cynthia Gardner of the Cascades Volcano Observatory in Vancouver, who first noticed it.

"It is a very large signal at a volcano that has a very quiet background," she told The Oregonian on Wednesday. She passed on her observations to researchers at the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network at the University of Washington. There, seismologist Robert Norris recognized it as the likely signature of a major avalanche or rockfall, Norris said.

He relayed the information to Darryl Lloyd, a Hood River photographer and longtime authority on the Mount Adams region. Lloyd reported back that indeed a major avalanche beginning at Avalanche Glacier had tumbled about two miles down the mountain.

The Avalanche Glacier area of the mountain is aptly named, as it has released major avalanches in the past. A rock-and-ice avalanche from the same area in August 1997 ran about three miles down the mountain. It contained an estimated 5 million cubic meters of material and was the largest avalanche in the Cascades since one on Mount Rainier in 1963, according to the Cascades Volcano Observatory.

The avalanche this month was not that big, Lloyd said. It was more akin to a 1983 avalanche from the same area. Norris said one line of thinking for how the avalanches occur is that ice and snow piling up on the mountain eventually overwhelms the strength of the loose volcanic rock below it and both come tumbling down. All three of the known large avalanches from this area on Mount Adams have occurred in a summer following a winter of especially heavy snow, Norris and Lloyd noted.

"That weak substrate can only support so much ice," he said. In the past avalanches, a large part of Avalanche Glacier has tumbled down, Norris said. Lloyd said it's not clear how much of the glacier remains.

Such avalanches are a major force in reshaping Cascade volcanoes between eruptions, Gardner said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2008/08/major_avalanche_reshapes _mount.html
Be the change....

miaree9

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Fascinating article, anna.

In a bit of synchronicity, Mt. Adams is the area that William Henry discusses in this week's Dreamland.

anna

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Could be interesting for William Henry if it rocks and rolls while he's there...... :-(
Be the change....

anna

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mayon Spews Ash; Phivolcs Reminds Residents of Danger Zone
8/10/08

MANILA, Philippines - After almost a year of silence, Mayon Volcano in Bicol again showed signs of activity by spewing ash into the air, a radio report said Sunday afternoon. Bombo Radyo Legazpi cited a report by the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology that Mayon spewed ash at about 9:12 a.m.

It said an initial report by Phivolcs showed the ash went up as high as 200 meters, in an east-northeast direction. The report said the activity lasted at least one minute. Clouds have since obstructed volcanologists from getting a good view of the volcano's activity.

Phivolcs reiterated that Mayon Volcano remains under Alert level 1, meaning no one could enter its seven-kilometer extended danger zone. It also warned areas near the volcano against minor explosions and possible rock falls from its upper slopes.

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/112729/Mayon-spews-ash-Phivolcs-reminds-residents-of -danger-zone
Be the change....

miaree9

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Deadly earthquake jolts southern Iran.

Lassen Sage
Advanced Member

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

anna,Thanks for the update

My computer is running very slow past couple of days and this is on the few sites I can get to pull up,sort of..

Today I am walking on a boat out to sea,so it is nice to hear of the quakes shaking the planet.

etsi
Advanced Member
Username: just_visiting

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

sage, i know you didn't mean that last sentence to sound like it came out....lol
life is tough. i'm tougher.

miaree9

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Two powerful earthquakes strike Asia.