Archive through September 17, 2008 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Superstorm / Climate Change » Post Your Weird Weather Here » Archive through September 17, 2008 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

merovee
Intermediate Member
Username: merovee

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It was pretty weird; my car was dirtier after it rained. And it rained hard.

Edwina!
Username: mad_queen_edwina

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Don't forget all that flooding that's being caused by all those heavy rains in the Midwest. And it's STILL showing in the upper Great Plains! All that water still has to come down the Mississippi including the snow, when it melts. And already, there's flooding in Mississippi (near Greenville) and the levees along the river past New Orleans are being put to the test....
Liberty or Death!

miaree9
Username: miaree9

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi, Edwina! It's nice to see you.

wolfshadow
Intermediate Member
Username: wolfshadow

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Maybe it's just me but,yesterday they were forecasting 3-5 inches of rain.Luckily we didn't get any.I did notice something strange with the lightning however,it was just a ball of white like an explosion going off.There were no bolts and it wasn't heat lightning which is more of an orange color.I don't know if anyone else has seen anything like this?

Mama Shine
Username: mama_shine

Post Number: 6334
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Wolfshadow,

I don't recall ever seeing anything like that, doesn't mean I haven't seen it..I'm trying to recall. Yesterday was a weird day...well, seemed so for me. Wonder what it was?
I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. ~William Blake

animalspirits
Username: animalspiritstalstarcom

Post Number: 2845
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

WS,

Could it have been ball lightning?

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=periodically-i-hear-stori&page=2
Understand that all things are sacred--yet nothing is sacred.

~Yotee Coyote

Edwina!

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi Miaree!
Liberty or Death!

wolfshadow
Advanced Member
Username: wolfshadow

Post Number: 204
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Animalspirits,
thanks for the link.It possibly could have been ball lighting the only thing is it was happening around the mountains so i'm not sure.The best way to describe it would be if you had a bubble and there was a bright white light in it.

miaree9

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Okay, this happened in Greenville, South Carolina instead of Abilene, Texas, but we get these things all the time:

Tornado? No, It Was 'Dust Devil'

POSTED: 6:46 am EDT April 17, 2008
UPDATED: 6:58 am EDT April 17, 2008

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- When a West Greenville couple returned home on Tuesday, it looked like a tornado had hit their home.

But on a clear, sunny, but breezy, day that seemed unlikely.

The National Weather Service said that it was rare weather phenomenon that damaged Donald and Ellen Grant's home.

Debris was tossed around their yard and an awning was ripped off their garage. Even the dog house was overturned and broken.

"It was strange because no one else around had any damage at all," Donald Grant said.

Weather officials said they are confident the damage was caused by a 'Dust Devil,' a phenomenon that causes a brief period of intense swirling winds.

They look like a small tornado that organizes in an isolated area.

The one that hit the Grant's home was estimated to have winds of about 50 mph.

Only the couple's dog, Cody, was home at the time.

Weather officials said that the last time a 'Dust Devil' developed in the Upstate and caused similar damage was in 1995 in Honea Path, when the winds were strong enough to tear the porch off a home.
Link.

Yikes!

anna
Username: anna

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We have had unusually warm weather, now "record lows" tonite of 26. Ugh... pick a season already!
Be the change....

Granny
Username: phar9

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

miaree9 ...

Interesting ... I was born in Greenville, S. C. and that is an area that is kind of surrounded by mountains and protected from tornados.

Dust devil ... bizarre. Greenville is in the upper N.E. corner of S.C ... not very dusty there at all ... not sandy like the mid to lower part of the state.

Hmmm ....

Sounds more like a microburst downdraft to me.

JMO

Gran
Signing up for "War Kittens"
Think Or Be Eaten ...

anna

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Old and up to 76 by Monday. My poor shrubs will be so confused.... :-(
Be the change....

anna

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Snow and sleet. Supposed to be 75 by Sunday, again. Up and down, up and down...
Be the change....

anna

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Heat up to 97 this weekend, with flooding predicted near all the rivers down here. WAY too hot for this time of year...
Be the change....

Indy
Username: indy

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 6:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I don't know if you want to call it weird or not. But we've had one 80 degree day this May. That was only 81 degrees. It looks that through the 24th of the month we don't have a shot at 80 with highs mainly in the 60's and low 70's. By that time in 2007 we would have had 12 days of 80 degree temps or higher. Looking at the 16 day forecast we may finish the month of May with just one 80 degree day. That would be matched only by May of 2003 (going back to 1996). May of 2003 for Indianapolis had just one 80 degree day (84). So this year would edge 2003 out by virtue of having one day and it being 81 degrees.

But the month isn't over yet so who knows.

Angelseeker
Username: angelseeker

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm here in Vegas and at 11:00 am it is already 94 degrees. It is supposed to hit about 102 later today and 107 tomorrow! I don't ever remember it being in the triple digits until mid to late June! (I could be wrong though)

GGG
Intermediate Member
Username: ggg

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Freak snowstorm in and around Big Bear, California.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

GGG
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 183
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Lightning strikes and thunderstorms from Long Beach to Hemet, California.

GGG
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Tornado Warning in East Riverside County, California. Warning extended to 5:45 pm.
Funnel cloud was spotted.

GGG
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Doppler radar tracked a tornado moving through Moreno Valley, California. It overturned a big rig and derailed some train cars.

Update: Two tornadoes spotted in Moreno Valley, California.

(Message edited by ggg on May 22, 2008)

anna

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

From 90+ last weekend to rain/hail/wind and low 60's. Cooler is better!!! :-)
Be the change....

susi t learn
Username: etsi

Post Number: 11348
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

yesterday it was 101. today it was in the high 70's.

????

Angelseeker

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

On Wednesday we reached about 106 and today I think our high will be about 69. It was 56 when I left my house this morning!

Mystic Gardener
Advanced Member
Username: weaver27

Post Number: 363
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We need more rain in GA. I am able to water my veggies, but would rather have real rain. Heard on the news last night that La Nina is weakening, I hope that it will mean more rain down here, we have too many water sensitive plants to keep on this drought path.

I am grateful we still have enough water to wash and drink, but the Army Corpse of Failed Engineers will just keep dumping our water out to save some mussels in Florida again.
Last year they flushed more water down river than we used in our homes. :-(
Aum Tat Sat

anna

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mystic, do you use rain barrels, etc. to harvest rain water? Good things to use to capture and store some for your garden. I got 2 for free and we just added the plumbing parts...
Be the change....

Sharon2
Username: sharon2468

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Interesting about the rain vs. watering. My garden looks so much more vibrant and lush after a rain even if I water every day. Why is that?

It's finally warming up here in central Ohio after chilly days most of the month. Planted my flowers today...late this spring.

animalspirits

Post Number: 3158
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sharon,

Maybe it has to do with the fact that rain water doesn't have the chemicals that they put in our drinking water to keep it uncontaminated...like chlorine.

It is more healthy for the plants.

~Yotee Coyote

Granny
Username: phar9

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yes AS ...

Hubby and I try to draw the water for the "not outside plants" and allow it to sit for a while ... the chlorine evaporates ... am not remembering how long that takes.

Gran
Signing up for "War Kittens"
Think Or Be Eaten ...

Sharon2

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

AS, that makes sense about the chlorine but we use outside well water. It is 'hard' water and smells like rotten eggs. I won't drink it so the plants probably don't like it either.

It keeps them alive but I wonder if there is anything I could do to make it better for them? We do have dry spells. Two years we had no rain for months. 88 and 98? I hope 08 won't be another.

animalspirits

Post Number: 3160
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sharon,

If the water smells like rotten eggs it contains sulphur. Hard water has more minerals in it...as to what ones, your local County Agriculture Agent ought to be able to tell you.

Also, whether your soil is acidic or alkaline makes a difference. Some plants prefer each. If you have plants like soft water and they are getting hard water, they will probably be affected. My water is hard, so I put a small limestone rock next to the plants that like soft water/alkaline water. A lot of herbs prefer it.

~Yotee Coyote

anna

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sharon, I would also mulch, mulch, mulch...
Be the change....

animalspirits

Post Number: 3164
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sharon,

Remember that mulch does conserve a lot of water and cools the root systems (which in the South and our drought is a must), but it usually (depending on what you use) adds acidity to the soil. It also breaks down into good fertilizer/dirt for the plants. I use pine straw as the plants seem to thrive on it.

It is all I use on my shrubs, cottage garden, etc...never fertilize or use pesticides.

Those limestone rocks add lime slowly to the soil and keep the plant roots from 'burn'...and you having to add lime to the soil each year.

~Yotee Coyote

Sharon2

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ohio, typically has a good growing season during the spring and summer months. Drought is a rarity.

AS, I put lime around my tomatoes (to stop blossom end rot) but had never heard of using a limestone rock. That is just brilliant!

Anna, We use leaves for mulch. It's free!

We also just use our well water for watering our garden plants. It's very cold from the well. I wondered if that could be a shock to their systems?

animalspirits

Post Number: 3177
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sharon,

How cold is 'very cold?'

~Yotee Coyote

anna

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sharon, we use leaves too and our homemade compost. You're lucky with the no drought part!
Be the change....

Sharon2

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hmm... I've never checked the temperature of our well water. It makes my hands ache. My guess would be in the fifties. It's over a hundred feet deep.

animalspirits

Post Number: 3179
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sharon,

That's pretty cold. Of course, if the water is going down through mulch it should warm it up quickly especially during the summer heat.

~Yotee Coyote

Angelseeker

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ok, so yesterday it got cold again and this morning it was all of 63 in Vegas! We are usually way past the cold and getting ready to sizzle about now.

Mahalla
Username: jean

Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We had a tornado touch down here in our valley in Va. yesterday. It damaged a few houses and downed trees and power lines, nobody hurt thank goodness. Just kinda unusual for our location, last one being in 1974.

Regina
Advanced Member
Username: regina_chante

Post Number: 495
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Don't know that it's weather related but we had two power outages in our neighborhood this week. One on Tues., around 3:50 am during a major downpour (so we attributed it to the rain). There was also a major flash of light outside our window (2nd story) but no lightning or thunder - never figured out what that was. Then another outage today around midday, but there was no rain, no wind, nada. It took out a good chunk of power in the area, even the local school. In both instances the digital clocks went off then flashed PF, my daughter's cd player turned on by itself and played music, and the overhead light in our bedroom turned on by itself. Pretty bizarre. Guess that's caused by a surge when the power returns (?)...
We all bleed the same color.

anna

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Tonite it's supposed to SNOW! Cold and windy, and back up to 89 by Sun.

I can't decide what the heck to plant!!!
Be the change....

Regina

Post Number: 503
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Wow, Anna! That's insane!

It's 7:51 pm pac. coast time and i don't think we cleared 55 degrees this week. It's usually in the 70's this time of year. The noticeable difference in weather is this boring, heavy, stagnant greyness. Sometimes it sprinkles but they say we're actually behind in rainfall so far this year. We barely see the sun - maybe once every few days for a brief spell, and when it comes out it's like a breath of fresh air right down to the soul. But, i have to say, it's nothing at all compared to what the midwest and east coast are dealing with, as well as other parts of the world.
We all bleed the same color.

anna

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 2:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yep! It was down to 38 a few hours ago and POURED!!! When I think about Whitley's statement a year or 2 ago, that the climate would shift down south several hundred miles(?), that's about right. Mid Canada to Boise??? What a wild ride...
Be the change....

gridghost
Username: gridghost

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 6:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Back to sweden again...

Two days ago there were -5 degrees celsius and snow in Kiruna and some days before that it were +20 degrees celsius and sunshine ... Rapid change there i'd say.

I live in the mid-to-southern part of sweden and today we had our first rain after 2 months of heat (relatively speaking, i'm used to +20 - +25 degrees in the shade, we've had +30 - +35 here a couple of days), it's still +25 degrees celsius (in the shade) and i'm pretty sick of it to be honest.
"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it isn't open"

Mahalla
Intermediate Member
Username: jean

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

My brother lives in Indiana and the floods have been terrible there, 41 counties proclaimed a disaster area and 8 dead (last I heard). He is one of the lucky ones, but said trying to get anywhere was a real challenge and so many people are suffering losses.

anna

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We had 3" of new snow in the foothills last night, bizarre!
Be the change....

Kokopelli
Advanced Member
Username: auriga560

Post Number: 298
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Prelude to superstorm??

http://www.rense.com/general82/hurr.htm
Knowing is arrogant; not knowing is stupidity; the way is far beyond both of these.

Aprylla
Username: astralgazer

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

They are calling the flooding in Iowa a 3,000 yr flood. Hrmmmm....also they are not letting residents into their homes even though waters have receded in certain areas. Imposing curfews and giving them wristbands to go and get a few things. I've seen many floods up in my region and I've never heard of people not being able to go back to their homes after the waters have receded. It stinks of social conditioning to me.
One lady said in an article on CNN.com something to the effect that the authorities were trying to protect them so the citizens didnít have the right to go back to their homes. Didnít have the right? Itís your property. You pay outlandish amounts of interest to live there. Itís your choice if you want to risk injury to go back to your house. Keyword is choice. This is just one more example of Mommy and Daddy govt trying to take away our freedom to choose.

(Message edited by astralgazer on June 16, 2008)
"If you are going to control any population
for any length of time, you must have some measure of consent." Aldous Huxley

Second Wind
Username: second_wind

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I have been worrying about all the people affected by all the storms of late. There seems to be very little actual coverage about what, exactly, is happening with the victims????

Where are these people??? It seems that we are not being told about the victims, like we were during Katrina. The coverage on this year's storms seems different that it was for Katrina.

Maybe I am missing something???
"In the end, only kindness matters."

Regina

Post Number: 533
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Low 70's yesterday and in the high 60's for the last week. Today, however, and for the next few days it will be 100. THAT's a leap!
Joyously hydrated.

anna

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Supposed to be record setting heat this weekend- 103 or so. WAY too hot for this time of year!
Be the change....

Lassen Sage
Username: lassen_sage

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It is still getting down into the 40's here some nights.It always cools off 4,500 ft elevation.

And last winter we had 6ft of packed frozen snow for much of the winter,we ran out of places to put the shoveled snow.And warm days melted enough to put a thick layer of ice everywhere,my driveway was a ice rink for months.

anna

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It was 104 yesterday. Ugh, I almost melted. Wishing for snow, well rain, maybe!
Be the change....

Lassen Sage

Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It is a chilly 42 degrees here right now,probably 10 degrees cooler then normal.Mild days in low 80's is OK.Too cold for the nights..

Lassen Sage

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

from a normal sunny day to a strangely revealing yellow-0range-Light in moments,all the smoke just totally changed this day.

With temps over 110 today in nearby Redding,it is at least 29 degrees cooler at 4,500ft.At about 50% contained the fire near Shasta Dam is at 53,000acre was at 53,000 acres this am.

And looks like a long fire season for California...

Regina

Post Number: 563
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We all need to get together and do a rain dance for California. The smoke from your area is making it's way north. Hate to say it, but smoke and haze makes for very beautiful sunsets (but the air gets stagnant).
Joyously hydrated.

Lassen Sage

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 5:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thanks for the cool thoughts,the barometer dipped indicating a low front and mild winds brought the nighttime temp down to 60.And I hope it is clouds,not smoke obscuring the starshine.

Lassen Sage

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

While checking the local weather at KRCR News/Redding I found a report on how the seven historical glaciers on Mt.Shasta(14,000ft) are growing because of the weather change.

Pacific Coast moisture is following the mountain ranges inland and keeping my location at a steady 60 to 70%.The Mt.Shasta area is only 28%,so I suspect our volcano Lassen Peak's glaciers are also growing.

We are finding it much easier to keep the ground moist this summer,so I am going to check the local Shingletown news to compare the typical humidity.

It is a very welcome 84% today and a great time to plant before the full moon.

Angelseeker

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It is supposed to be the 'dog days' of summer here in Southern Nevada. Usually it is already in the mid to upper 80's when I leave for work at 6:30 am. The past two mornings it has been in the mid-70's! Not that I'm complaining. It's been very hot this summer....although it does not feel as hot as it did last summer (when it was 116 in the afternoon!). It's been extremely dry here too. Not much rain to speak of. I know this is going to sound hokey....but as the saying goes...I can feel it in my bones that fall is going to come earlier than expected this year and winter is going to be bitter cold (and somewhat wet).

animalspirits

Post Number: 3595
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Fay.

~Yotee Coyote

anna

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We had a lot more snow/rain last winter and the snow lasted a LOT longer :-) and milder/wetter spring. Much less forest fires this year. I have noticed the squirrels are full tilt burying nuts (we have 2 feeders). No wonder I am re-filling them faster!!! I'm glad I invested in better snow boots last winter while they were on sale...
Be the change....

miaree9

Post Number: 1927
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We had so much rain here yesterday that my street temporarily became a small stream! We are expecting more rain all week.

blue
Advanced Member
Username: jennyblue

Post Number: 359
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

better snowboots 4me, 2. -- in fact, 2 new pair because i didnt send one pair back (a rather strange green )

I need a better snowblower, too -- in fact, a plow wld be nice :-) but hopefully my new 4wheel drive (pls no tomatoes, i've got plenty) will get me outta the driveway after the city leaves several square feet of snow, salt, and ice on the bottom half after i've shoveled it clean :-(
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Hopi Elders 2001.

SR13
Username: sr13

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Last night, my significant other, myself and my youngest stepson were jolted awake by a deafening thunder explosion (literally that is what it sounded like - an explosion of sorts) at around 3am. It was followed by another splitting thunder explosion that seemed to be in the same spot - outside our bedroom window. And the rain thunderstorm storm ensued, although no more "explosions" from that point on. My stepson cried (he is eight years old)and when I held him I realized his nose was bleeding. On top of that my significant other said she had dreamt that two men were trying to get us, when the thunder explosions occurred.

Maybe its not weird weather - but here in WNY it's been a very very wet summer! And it might be a very wet fall too! With all this rain I wonder what winter will be like, and thats not to mention the lake effect snow we get out here!

kathy decker
Username: kat

Post Number: 917
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

You know, a few weeks ago I was sitting here in my den with my daughter. A thunderstorm was approaching, but it was about 60 miles away.Suddenly there was an explosion right outside my window-a blinding flash and a few seconds later, a deafening boom that literally shook the house.

There was nothing more. No more thunder, the storm dissipated long before it arrived with only a shower, about 45 minutes later.

At the time, I actually thought perhaps a particle of a meteorite might have exploded in the upper atmosphere. It was that explosive, and there was no sign of a lightening strike anywhere in the vicinity.

It was during a meteor shower.

I live in the central southern tier of NY.

My sister, in the lower Hudson valley, was awakened by a similar explosion-it appeared to be right over the highway that runs past her house.It was a perfectly clear night and there were NO storms in the vicinity. I told Linda Moulton Howe about it-she is investigating strange explosions all over the world.
Humans believe they are devils pretending to be angels when, in fact, the reverse is true.

Regina

Post Number: 633
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Wow, Kathy. That's kinda scary! I hadn't heard there were explosions going on around the world, so i'm very interested to hear what LInda finds out.
Know Thyself.

blue
Advanced Member
Username: jennyblue

Post Number: 360
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

me too. I thought it was only around me -- it is interesting to hear others are experiencing this also. I also get the 'feeling' that something is trying to get in. So far the 'doors' are holding in my world ....

and, yes they seem to keep exploding in the same spot. Altho I've only noticed it twice in two different places that are about 2-3 miles apart. As the 'explosion sounds' occurred it seemed as tho they came from the same spot. Perhaps someone/something is trying to open a door in our world -- or perhaps a world close to us is "breaking off". Perhaps the "paths" are separating.

http://curezone.com/ig/i.asp?i=24817

have any physicists noticed the phenomenon?
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Hopi Elders 2001.

kathy decker
Username: kat

Post Number: 923
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I don't know. I tried searching earthfiles formention of it, but i believe it was back in the winter of 2007. i can't find anything now.
Humans believe they are devils pretending to be angels when, in fact, the reverse is true.

Regina

Post Number: 638
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Kathy,
Did you read the latest news on the UC main page about Asteroids & Fireballs? I wonder if the booming sounds are related to that phenomenon?

(Message edited by regina_chante on September 11, 2008)
Know Thyself.

Edwina!

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Leaves already turning color on some trees here in Southern Louisiana.
Liberty or Death!

anna

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Very dry here and running about 15 degrees higher than usual for the last month. I'm ready for the cooler fall days and some rain! Supposed to be 90 tomorrow, and Tues. Ugh...
Be the wave....

Sharon2

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Our power came on today after being out for two days. We had a freakish combination of Ike and a high pressure system meeting and creating high winds reaching 75 MPH that lasted for four hours! We've never seen winds that high in central Ohio! It was hot and dry - no rain or thunder.

We lost some shingles and two mature trees. Branches and debris littering yards and roads.

We started our generator. It ran juice to our refrigerator, freezer and water pump. When the electric goes out, we have no water.

After watching Hurricane news on TV, I can't even being to imagine what that would be like. We just had a small taste and THAT was scary.

We have power now but a lot of people still don't and might not for days.

anna

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Have you thought about buying a solar pump for your well? I think they make those.... Or add an old-style hand pump? No water would be a big problem if it lasted...
Be the wave....

Second Wind
Username: second_wind

Post Number: 1979
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 4:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sharon2, I am so sorry that you went through this, but I'm glad your power is back on!!!

How long have you had your generator?

I imagine you are really glad you made that investment!!

My sister (and millions of others) are still without power.

But she didn't lose her home, so she is blessed.
"In the end, only kindness matters."

animalspirits

Post Number: 3778
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 7:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

My friend that lives near Columbus, OH had 75 mph winds from what was left of Ike. They lost power (have generator) and their landline. They still don't have power yet.

She told me that a lot of their utility service people had gone to TX to help them and they had to call them back.

~Yotee Coyote