Archive through March 20, 2008 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Superstorm / Climate Change » Post Your Weird Weather Here » Archive through March 20, 2008 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ldyhawk369
Advanced Member
Username: ldyhawk369

Post Number: 378
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Driving home from work ,on 84 starts raining , big bolts of lightning come down. The next thing hail , about an inch , started coming down so fast that I was afraid my windows would crack. Also was wondering about tornadoes???Never ever experienced hail like that , it covered the road quickly. Really scary stuff.(Live in Putnam County, Ny)

anna
Username: anna

Post Number: 662
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

95 today, 90's last week and 1/2. Supposed to drop to 60' by Tues. (what a relief) for a week. nice, BUT weird....
"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work." - Emile Zola

mothership
Advanced Member
Username: bob_higgins

Post Number: 244
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

http://www.shropshirestar.co.uk/2007/06/your-flood-photos/1/

This is near where I live in Shropshire, UK. But there are floods all over the country this week. A major bridge collapsed yesterday in a place called Ludlow in Shropshire and the house near it fell into the river this morning. Complete choas everywhere but we are lucky in that we have not really been affected by the floods where we live. Just as well as we dont have any house insure as we cannot afford it. Rain, rain and more rain - and it is cold too. Crazy mad weather.

miaree9
Username: miaree9

Post Number: 692
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Here in Texas, we are having an extremely wet year. There is flooding in much of the state, and at least 11 people have died as a result.

Here in Abilene, where the average yearly rainfall is between 23 and 24 inches, we have already received almost 19 inches in 2007. Locally, the ground is completely saturated, and any new rainfall floods the streets, making driving very dangerous. Our forecast for the next seven days is for more rain.

Regina
Username: rchante

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

WOW! Texas will be the new Amazon rain forest at that rate!
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Second Wind
Advanced Member
Username: second_wind

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 6:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I posted on the Chemtrails thread about this.....

Here is West Texas, we had an extremely MILD and WET winter. And now, we are having an extremely MILD and WET Spring/Early Summer.

By this time last year, we had already had 19 days over 100 degrees, and 1 day of 105 degrees. So far this year, we have only had one day that I remember for sure of over 100; it was on the 18th of June, and I think the high was 101 that day.....might have been 102.

I didn't look up rainfall statistics, but it's been incredibly wet. There is rain in the forecast for the entire week, and the highest temp forecast during that time is for 91 degrees tomorrow.

I'm not complaining, though.....not by a longshot! I feel lucky compared to so many who are suffering from either flooding, or from horrible drought and/or fires.
"In the end, only kindness matters."

anna

Post Number: 738
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 3:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We had a near record high yesterday, 109. Ugh.... 100 and something today and it's only JULY! :-(
"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work." - Emile Zola

Ldyhawk369
Advanced Member
Username: ldyhawk369

Post Number: 389
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I live in Putnam County, NY. It seems that we do not get gentle rains anymore, just torrential downpours. Really when it rains the it is like a curtain coming down.

anna

Post Number: 739
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Send some our way :-)

Angelseeker
Username: angelseeker

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Here in Vegas our 'official' high was about 111, but my car thermometer was reading 117!

(Message edited by Angelseeker on July 07, 2007)

anna

Post Number: 759
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 4:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We are really suffering here, thru smoke from forest fires and unusual heat. About 15 degrees hotter than usual, 100's. It stinks, literally. I am praying for wind and RAIN. None in the last month or so....

anna

Post Number: 803
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Last month we broke a all time high for the whole month. Ugh....

Jimmy
Username: chippyo

Post Number: 504
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The western US will be in increaseing drought and water shortages over the next decade. It will get ugly, dust bowl conditions. Coupled with the Vegas-Phoniex population boom it excerbates an already bad condition.

We all will be affected in the coming years by shifts in global climate, but teh US west is by far the most at risk.

If it were me, I would begin making plans to get out of there.

"We have the Information, now what do we do with it?"

anna

Post Number: 806
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yes, working on my hubby.... I'd like to go N. of Santa Fe, in the mountains, but he's more likely to want to go to Oregon. Maybe central in the mountains there....

starrover79
Advanced Member
Username: starrover79

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's hot were I live but that is normal for summer. It looks like we're in a drought though. All the grass is dying. Several of my drought resistant bushes are dying from lack of water. I've got an apple tree that is dying. The summer began wet. Then the rain stopped and it's so dry. That is unusual for this area. Normally it's hot and extremely humid. Humidity isn't a problem this summer. The dry weather hasn't affected the corn or soy bean crops at all and that's kind of strange. In fact I've never seen farmers plant so much corn so tightly packed together. It's growing like you wouldn't believe. I've never seen corn like this stuff.

Regina
Username: rchante

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Only if you wish to share, whereabouts do you live? Does the corn actually look different from standard corn?
Each cell in your body can produce 1.7 volts of electricity. And you have how many cells?

Janet Rivenbark
Advanced Member
Username: janetgr

Post Number: 282
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Our weather has been just plain yucky for the last week or so. We have been setting records for high temps; heat indexes have been over 100 every day for the last week, and the air has been so thick you could cut it with a knife! I haven't seen smog this bad here (coastal southeatern NC) in the 35 years I have lived here. We haven't had any fires, but every now and then it smells like smoke; it sure looks like it. Maybe it is drifting in from out west where the fires are. We usually have afternoon thunderstorms that clear the air, but lately we have been getting a lot of rumbling but only spotty showers.
Janet

BELIEVE--things happen for a reason!

starrover79
Advanced Member
Username: starrover79

Post Number: 212
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Illinois. Something is different about this corn. I can't really figure out what is different about it but something is. It looks the same as standard corn but something is different. Maybe I'm sensing something about the energy field of the plant or something about it's genes. I don't know. But my gut tells me that this corn is different than normal corn and it has really caught my attention in a major way. It doesn't feel right.

animalspirits
Username: animalspiritstalstarcom

Post Number: 560
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

~bump~
Understand that all things are sacred--yet nothing is sacred.

~Yotee Coyote

StarMaiden
Username: carla

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 6:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I live in Michigan..it is always cool or cold here right? Yesterday it was 91 degrees!!!!! Normally we only hit 90 a few days in August! I don't even think we have had a 'good' frost yet!

Berghaus
Username: berghaus

Post Number: 624
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

When the freak storm hit us yesterday morning, I was on duty near Windsor castle.

It seemed that one minute it was a mild, slightly dull morning and then WHOOSH!

The heavens really did open up and we had about 10 mins of absolutely torrential rain. Though I can't say that Windsor saw a tornado, the ferocity and suddeness of the cyclonic weather surprised all of us.

If such deluges are going to be more frequent over here then we're in trouble.

anna

Post Number: 938
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Brrrr, we seem to have gone into fall/winter all of a sudden. Highs have dropped a bit the last 3 weeks. Tomorrow the high is supposed to be in the 50's, lows in the upper 30's tonite... Glad I unpacked my cold weather clothes....

skeptic tank
Intermediate Member
Username: skeptic_tank

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Okay, so I'm watching the 8th inning of the Yankees/Indians play-off game. And I can't help but wonder... "Um, why is Joba Chamberlain being consumed by locusts?"

(Yes, I do think this is global warming related.)

anna

Post Number: 942
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Gnats??? Not a pretty site!!!

da~an
Username: daan

Post Number: 3287
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

DAY AFTER TOMORROW! yes...
~Life's looking UP~
...al gore has won
a nobel prize!!!

anna

Post Number: 951
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We have had a LOT of rain, the last several weeks. About 2xs a week, unusual, but we needed it!!!! :-) And it's cooler and going to fall. I'm glad summer is over.......
Gandalf- Death is just another path. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, & all turns to silver glass, & then you see it, white shores & beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

The Watcher
Username: the_watcher

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

2-3 weeks ago, 90 degrees, setting a new record high. Within that same week, a 40 degree temperature drop. We have hot, humid summers and cold winters here in MI, although not anywhere near as cold as we did in the 70s through the early 80s. The Detroit River has not frozen over since 1982. Many times there is no spring or fall, no transition from summer to winter and back.

fortwynt
Username: fortwynt

Post Number: 2996
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

sounds like the weather here too watcher (charleston, wv)
There's a storm on the way, and it's comin no matter what I say.

~Gnarls Barkley

Edwina!
Username: mad_queen_edwina

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hurricane-like storm in the Mediterranean
Liberty or Death!

da~an

Post Number: 3729
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

"up"
"up"

da~an

Post Number: 3888
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

!
"up"

anna

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 2:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

More mini-snow storms here than usual. Now a BIG wind storm coming, Oregon already slammed! But I do love the white stuff!
Gandalf- Death is just another path. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back & all turns to silver glass & then you see it, white shores & beyond a far green country under a swift sunrise.

anna

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We had almost 5" of snow this morning. We have had a lot more snow than usual in the last month, but still in a drought....
Gandalf- Death is just another path. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back & all turns to silver glass & then you see it, white shores & beyond a far green country under a swift sunrise.

Thomas
Username: thomas_j_veil

Post Number: 10145
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Northwest Cable News is reporting a "tornado watch"—in Vancouver, Washington.

"We don't want to see things that aren't there. But when they're there, are we crazy for seeing them?"

Thomas

Post Number: 10146
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Now they are reporting that the tornado has touched down in downtown Vancouver, WA (just across the state border, several miles from Portland, OR).

Damage is being reported.
"We don't want to see things that aren't there. But when they're there, are we crazy for seeing them?"

Bran
Intermediate Member
Username: bran

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yeesh! I have grandparents there!

Thomas

Post Number: 10147
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I haven't heard of any serious injuries, Bran—so that's a good thing, but there has been quite a bit of damage: ruined roofs, toppled chimneys, blown-over trees, downed signs and power-lines and telephone poles.

Being estimated initially as a "mere" F-0, this tornado could have been much, much worse.

Thomas

Post Number: 10148
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Oh... And now, as I pressed "Post," I just heard about an entire house that was decimated.

animalspirits
Username: animalspiritstalstarcom

Post Number: 1925
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thomas,

Wow! Do they get many of those up there?
Understand that all things are sacred--yet nothing is sacred.

~Yotee Coyote

Thomas

Post Number: 10149
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Nope. The last big tornado in the Portland/Vancouver area was on April 5, 1972, when six people were killed. That tornado was an F-3.

In the wake of all the damage, and the photos of the larger-than-first-thought twister, today's tornado is expected to be "upgraded" to an F-2.

Bran
Intermediate Member
Username: bran

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

You live up that way Thomas? I spent my early childhood along the Columbia and still call Washougal my home town.

It's changed a little since the early 70's.

Thomas

Post Number: 10153
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi, Bran... Yep. It has changed a lot since then, hasn't it?

I lived in Portland for eight years during the 1980's, and after work had me moving all over creation in the 1990's, I moved to the Puget Sound area of Washington State a couple of years ago.

Even though I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area—and spent most of my life there—I really missed the Pacific Northwest, rain and all. So now, I'm back.

Janet Rivenbark
Advanced Member

Post Number: 315
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It has been in the 70's every day this week. Feels like October or April. That is unusually warm for even here (south eastern NC). We have had the windows open all day and all night. Except for last night when we had a thunderstorm. Nothing as wild as some of you had, but it did rumble and flash for a while. It looks like the worst of the storms were north of here. There is another line of storms heading this way, but the rain is welcome.

It didn't rain just about all summer. The first time it rained any measurable amount was at the end of October, the day we moved. It rained steadily all day and it was very welcome. We are still way too dry, but it has rained more than it did over the summer. We are usually similar to Florida when it comes to rain. We usually go through a part of the summer when it rains almost every afternoon, not a lot, usually just a shower that might last 30 minutes. I never thought I would say it, but the South Eastern US could sure use a good tropical storm, especially south of here.
Janet

Janet Rivenbark
Advanced Member

Post Number: 316
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Snow falls on Baghdad for first time in memory

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSL1146182220080111
Janet

susi t learn
Username: etsi

Post Number: 9829
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

the had rare snow in baghdad.

anna

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We're to be down close to zero and here's the east coast...
Border States Hit Really Deep Freeze

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — Temperatures dropped to breathtaking levels, well below zero, in extreme northern sections of Maine early Monday.

Thermometers registered 34 degrees Fahrenheit below zero at Van Buren, 27 below at Presque Isle and 26 below at Allagash, the National Weather Service reported.

In the northern Rockies, Butte, Mont., registered 32 below at 8 a.m. — with a wind chill of minus 47, the weather service said.

Another of the nation's usual cold spots, International Falls, Minn., managed only 16.1 below zero, but even after the sun came up its temperature of 14 below combined with 6 mph wind for a wind chill of 29 below zero, according to a weather service Web site.

As the cold air blew across Lake Ontario, it picked up enough moisture to produce 3 feet of lake-effect snow Sunday in New York's Oswego County. The roof of a public works garage holding snow removal equipment collapsed early Monday in Fulton, N.Y., under the weight of 37 inches of snow, and the town declared a state of emergency. The region at the east of Lake Ontario often gets heavy lake-effect snow.

"We're digging out," said state police Sgt. Edwin Croucher in Fulton. He reported multiple accidents caused by the storm but no serious injuries.

anna

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I am however loving the white stuff! We get it so rarely! Go el nino, or is it la nino???

anna

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

WOW! We have had another 2" of snow since late this afternoon! Bitterly cold, 7 this morning, with outdoor recesses cancelled last 3 days. Warmer would be better, but I LOVE the snow :-)

anna

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

With more snow on the way, another 2" maybe... Maybe a "snow day" for us, which we NEVER get... I hope

anna

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 12:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We are having another snow storm coming thru tonite, after it was 47 today! Everything melted and was like spring. An old timer told my husband it was always snowy here (Boise) in the winter and then got drier and drier. It might not be a bad thing if those times returned. Would replenish our water tables, etc....

sonorK
Advanced Member
Username: sonork

Post Number: 465
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

200,000 trapped in a train terminal in China because of the worst winter weather in 50 years.....

Thank goodness it's getting warmer.
"In Iran, we do not have this phenomenon. I don't know who's told you that we have it." - Mahmoud Aquavelvajad

anna

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

New snow here, several inches. A "perfect storm" of 2 storms hit at the same time. About 3 new inches down here, more on the way tomorrow. I keep hoping for a "snow day". No luck so far.... :-(

kadie
Username: kimmy

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Last night at midnight the temp was 48. Three hours later is was 15.

anna

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ugh!!! And we had a SNOW DAY!!! :-) I think with the forecast we may have another tomorrow. Roads bad, black ice under snow. Slipperrryyyy....

Sharon2
Username: sharon2468

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Central Ohio - It was in the upper 40's last night then we had extremely high winds. I was afraid to sleep upstairs it was roaring so loud. Today its in the 20's. Had to cut up a tree that was down across our driveway.
Ok, how fast is the speed of dark?

Janet Rivenbark
Advanced Member

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 6:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We had a lot of wind night before last too. We had a several dozen flattened moving boxes on the deck awaiting a trip to the recycler and when we woke up yesterday they were all over the neighborhood. Got our exercise recovering them. Now there is a cinderblock sitting on top of them. Temps are still mild. It is 37 right now and should make it up to almost 60 today. 68 and rain tomorrow and then the mid 60's through the weekend.

We have had several cold snaps this winter, but they have only lasted a day or two, then it has gone back into the 60's. Mild even for Coastal Southeastern NC. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. We usually get our worst weather in January and February. Except for the year we had the first white Christmas in over 100 years. Got close to 2 feet in two days. People around here were in shock. It happened back in the 80's; I can't remember the exact year.
Janet

anna

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I've had to run down recycling too before!!! We had 35 mile a hour winds this morning. Snow blowing completely sideways! Warming up a bit and slushy snow now. Supposed to be another 1-2" tonite/tomoorow. Had to go back to work today. But tomorrow's Friday! :-)

Janet Rivenbark
Advanced Member

Post Number: 328
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

There were boxes in the woods next to the house this morning; not mine. I snagged them, mashed them and added them to the pile under the cinderblock.

We always have a pretty stiff breeze here; the coast is only about 6 miles away, but right now it's holding steady at about 15mph and every now and then there is a good gust. It is currently 63, spitting rain and is supposed to be 68. Welcome to February.
Janet

Jimmy
Username: chippyo

Post Number: 730
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

No snow it all in teh mid-atlantic and it's feb 1st. all rain. usually 2-3 sledding days by now.

Nothing nada zippo...even the ski hills are whining. Gott aget below 32 at night to blow snow.

Been lucky so far

"We have the Information, now what do we do with it?"

anna

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It melted a bit here, but another 2-4 inches tonite/tomorrow! 1st snowday in Boise in over 20+ years and most snow low in the valley since I don't know when....

anna

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We had a little melting yesterday and sun!!! I didn't realize how long it had been since we had a REALLY sunny day! More snow forecast for tonite and tomorrow night, 1-3" both. I am starting to wonder if this is the trend for the rest of winter? Wouldn't be so bad, less drought. Although a fast, warm spring could meaning flooding in certain areas....

Sharon2

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Central Ohio - warm again. Tons of rain and thunder storms. Not our usual February weather

Aprylla
Username: astralgazer

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Anyone affected by the tornadoes in Tennessee? That was pretty bad. I heard 26 people died. It sounds like this was really abnormal and caught a lot of ppl off guard. Like those tornadoes in Illinois and Wisconsin a month or so ago.
"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable – what then?" George Orwell 1984

Granny
Username: phar9

Post Number: 897
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Aprylla ...

Had a near front row seat.

Fortunately for us, most "weather" skirts around us here ... near Knoxville ... 'bout 40 miles NE.

We had plenty of rain and a bit of thunder ... still very windy, but nothing like the rest of Tenn.

Many are hurting right now. Prayers.

Gran
Think Or Be Eaten ...
Turn Off The TV!

anna

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Bad winter twisters... :-(

Aprylla
Username: astralgazer

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Good thing you weren't affected Granny. I have a friend in TN that I keep in touch with through email. I emailed him but haven't heard back yet. Now I hear the number is up to 55? Crazy. Winter twisters are scary because people are lulled into a state of complacency in the colder months. Thinking they are safe. I know I think like that even in the spring. Although spring twisters can be bad as well.
"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable – what then?" George Orwell 1984

Granny
Username: phar9

Post Number: 909
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Aprylla ...

The weather is getting a bit hairy lately ...

Today the sky was clear and the real blue ... you know ... like it used to be ... until this afternoon when the planes showed up.

I guess it does not matter much any more what they are doing ... cause most people don't look up and most think you are crazy and say ... "What, those jets?

Uh yeah, I think to myself ... when by 5 pm the blue sky was gone and the milky white was back ... and they crisscrossed the sky ... big Xs and grids and people think that is normal ... I don't get it.

Sometimes the trails are really spectacular ... today there were many that were near curly ... thick and bright white.

Sinus trouble will be here tomorrow.

Gran :-(
Think Or Be Eaten ...
Turn Off The TV!

Regina
Username: regina_chante

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

So many heartbreaking stories on the internet about the devastation caused by those recent twisters, and yet you really gotta dig for those stories. All the media covers now is this damn election stuff and Hollyweird people. Those folks in the SE are still important but how they're faring and the extent of the damage isn't even being covered in the nightly news lately. Not even an update on how those folks are getting their lives back together, and it's right here in our country! Such a terrible shame. Nevertheless, i'm keeping them in the forefront of my prayers, right along with all those good folks who lost their property, families and animals right in the pacific northwest from recent floods. I guess they all aren't rich enough to be in the news. psh!

miaree9

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Record highs on Monday remind residents this is Texas
The rest of the week is expected to be dry and cool.

By Miguel Liscano
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Spring is still a month away. But this is Texas, and warmer seasons sometimes have sneaky ways of making appearances in February.

Monday was the warmest day of the year and the hottest it's been on that date for more than half a century, meteorologists said.

The temperature reached 92 degrees at Camp Mabry and 89 degrees at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport on Monday, breaking records of 89 degrees, set in 1918, and 87 degrees in 1954, respectively.

Today was expected to be cooler, with highs in the 60s, Lower Colorado River Authority meteorologist Bob Rose said. Parts of Central Texas might see a light freeze early Wednesday.

"That's what's so weird," Rose said. "We're going from the low 90s, possibly down to freezing."

The hottest day ever recorded in February was Feb. 21, 1996, when thermometers reached 101 at the airport and 99 at Camp Mabry, KVUE meteorologist Mark Murray said.
Link.

Ah, the joys of living in Texas! We also had wildfires and smoke in many places yesterday.

miaree9

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yesterday, it was almost 90 degrees; today, it is not quite 50 degrees.

anna

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Man, it was 54 today and like spring! This after a month of cold/snow. If it weren't for all the heavy chemspew, it would have been beeeeutiful...

merovee
Intermediate Member
Username: merovee

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yeah, I just moved to Austin from Michigan; they definitely have extremes of hot AND cold there. The 25th was nuts! 92 degrees in January! I went out for bike ride, and sat out and ate dinner at night, until the wind picked up and the temp suddenly dropped.

One minute it was nice and 89 degrees and the next second all my food was blown off the table. Two hours later the temp was in the 60s and the next morning it was like 30! 60 degree temp diff!!!

Sharon2

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Central Ohio - We just had "The worst snow storm in Ohio's history." 20 inches of snow over a two day period! An average snowfall is two inches. A big snowfall for us is four or five inches.

anna

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mild here last week or so, days 50+! I hope we have more rain though, it's been a 7 year drought.
Sorry for your snow :-(

merovee
Intermediate Member
Username: merovee

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 1:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It rained mud in Central Texas (San Antonio/New Braunfels/Austin) yesterday! The weather people said it was from dust being blown up into the atmosphere before a big storm. There were winds and the storms were scary looking.