Archive through June 01, 2007 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Superstorm / Climate Change » Post Your Weird Weather Here » Archive through June 01, 2007 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Granny
Advanced Member
Username: phar9

Post Number: 493
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Guys ...

Uh ... still one burning question though.

I thought surely if I posted re leg warmers and the question "for what purpose they were worn by dancers" .. someone would jump in immediately and give me the answer.

"GIVE" being the operative word since Gran is always interested in gaining answers without doing the work.

Someone?

Gran, who always adheres to thread topic.

Krystal Gale Potter
Username: paradox1022

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

LOL I was just kidding. The socks as warmers thing happened before the movie tank girl came out. I just never thought about it until you mentioned it. You've never seen Tank Girl ????? Blasphemy ! It's one of my favorite movies.

Why do dancers wear leg warmers ? Because they look good and Vogue magazine paid the dancers to wear them to start a new clothing trend they could make money from. LOL ellifino !

Krystal, who's shining talent is steering the thread topic away from Granny.
Until humanity recognizes paradox as a definitive, the world shall know neither balance nor truth. http://www.kgppredicts.com

Quiti
Intermediate Member
Username: starcat

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

thank you-thank you, been looking for a good excuse to watch Tank Girl

Quiti
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Granny
(as found from the "net")

Bare legs were never very popular with dancers for practice sessions since the leg muscles must be kept continually warm. Today dancers wear not only leotards and tights but also wool leg warmers and/or plastic pants over their tights in order to keep their muscles warm and supple.}

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

One never needs an excuse to watch Tank Girl.
Until humanity recognizes paradox as a definitive, the world shall know neither balance nor truth. http://www.kgppredicts.com

starrover79
Intermediate Member
Username: starrover79

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Man we are starting to have some wicked weather developing in Southern Illinois. Yesterday and up until about 2:30pm today it had rained cats and dogs. We have large amounts of standing water everywhere with some smaller roads partialy flooded. A lot of water has been dumped in a short period of time and it can't drain fast enough.

A major snowstorm has been dumping lots of snow just north of us. At about 2:30 I looked out the window and it was raining heavily like it has been for the past 2 days. after that I went and did some work on my computer. Then I noticed that the wind had picked and was howling. I looked out the window at 2:40 and the scenery had changed in 10 minutes! The tempurature must have dropped fast because everything is covered in ice. The water on the roads froze and it's sleeting like you wouldn't believe.

Ice storms are really nasty in Southern Illinois and they do a lot of damage. I've got a bad feeling about this weather.

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 2:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

-18 in ND. No snow, at least in the middle of the state.

Our board member Hale.... I'm going to KICK HIS BUTT ! He and Dave decided to drive through that eastern storm for several hours ! Thing is...I've been waiting all night by the phone because Dave promised he'd call..and Hale should have made him call...and right now I don't have a clue whether or not they are in a hotel or stranded or worse ! I don't know whether to be angry or concerned..I guess I'm both.

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 4:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

They just called. They are fine.

Edwina!
Username: mad_queen_edwina

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

More tornadoes
Liberty or Death!

The Watcher
Username: the_watcher

Post Number: 933
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Edwina......where ya been??I have missed your posts. Good to see you again. Freaky weather everywhere.

Edwina!

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi Watcher... I've been stuck offline for awhile.
Liberty or Death!

Mama Shine
Username: mama_shine

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I Edwina. I live over in Slidell. My mother in law is in a FEMA trailer in NO East. How did Katrina treat you. I'm in Eden Isles and we flooded, I lost everything. We're almost done building back.
Dancing is silent poetry...
--Simonides (556-468 BC)

nadm
Advanced Member
Username: nadm

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

hi Mama S. have you seen the concerns about the FEMA trailers? some of them are off-gassing high amounts of formaldehyde:

http://www.alternet.org/katrina/48004/

kathy decker
Advanced Member
Username: kat

Post Number: 438
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Wow, that is quite the story. i was in a FEMA trailer here in the northeast last summer, we had been severely flooded and I had been living in our garage. We were happy to get the trailer, but if I'd known of the risk, i probably would have thought twice before accepting it.
Humans believe they are devils pretending to be angels when, in fact, the reverse is true.

anna
Advanced Member
Username: anna

Post Number: 499
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Geez, it was alomst 60 today and it's supposed to stay warm for the next week. This is WAY too warm for Feb...!!!! :-(

Granny

Post Number: 503
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Quiti ...

Thanks so much for the info on the leg warmers .. the last time I searched was way back when I was using some ancient search engine ... a real slow mo ... by the time I got around to Google, everyone else had thrown out their leg warmer ... but not me ... I just kept wearing them in the winter ... which we sorta skipped the last couple of years.

Hopefully my fav insects will back off this year ... they sure did not last year.

Gran

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Central North Dakota is at 40 F. according to the thermometer in my garage.

merovee
Username: merovee

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/story.asp?S=6117584&nav=menu51_1
Those hailstones sound like the ones in The Day Aftr Tomorrow.

The temps here in SE Michigan are finally starting to come up out of single digits, into the 40's!
Our winter consisted of 3 weeks of single digit temps and one decent snowstorm. Usually winter is longer than this, this last winter it took till mid January for winter to really start. When I was young It was generally pretty wintry by Thanksgiving. When I was a baby 3 feet of snow at a time was not unusual, since I was 2 years old we have not gotten more than 14 inches of snow.

anna

Post Number: 501
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Now it snowed this morning and stayed cold 30ish. Last week was almost 60. Pick a season already! Atleast it rained, since we NEEDED IT!!!

Granny

Post Number: 506
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Just wondering ...

A couple of days ago I saw the Weatherman (Chad) on Cnn talking about some pretty thick fog ... then he showed a photo of ... well ... nothing but super thick fog ... and was pointing out where everything was supposed to be ... but you could not see anything but fog.

I think he said it was Detroit.

Then he went on to say that since the temp was pretty well below freezing ... it could be a frozen fog.

Just imagine walking down a street and being enveloped by a frozen fog.

Yuck ... why it could perhaps freeze a bird in flight. As you can tell, I have never heard of freezing fog.

Gran

Bran
Username: bran

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I don't ever see it where I live now, but ice fog is beautiful stuff.
"Scientific progress goes boink?"
--Hobbes

Quiti
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Granny-frozen fog is kind of like freezing rain-it leaves an icy coating on everything-and it's hard to see. We've had it here a few times this
season.

anna

Post Number: 503
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 1:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We wnet from almost spring to a weeks forecast of snow. I hope it moderates a bit, but now it's anyones guess...

susi t learn
Username: etsi

Post Number: 5589
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

DULUTH, Minn. (Associated Press) -- For Jay Austin, who has made a career of studying the Great Lakes, the warming climate around Lake Superior is no mystery. But he was surprised to find the waters of the lake itself warming even more rapidly.

Austin, a Duluth professor and a researcher with the University of Minnesota-Duluth's Large Lakes Observatory, has studied decades of data. What he found was water temperatures rising almost twice as fast as air temperatures _ more than 4 degrees for the average surface temperature.

The increase is having dramatic effects.

"The date of what we call the spring overturn has been getting earlier in the year," Austin said. "It's basically the start of the summer season in the lake. It's when you start to develop strong positive stratification: warm water sitting on top of cool water."

In two decades, the spring turnover has moved up two weeks from early July to mid-June.

Part of that likely is due to a loss of ice cover. Since ice is reflective, when it's not there it makes it easier for the lake to absorb heat.

In another 35 to 40 years, Austin said, Lake Superior will have very little ice cover.

While that may sound good to people who swim or sail on the lake, it's not so good for plants and animals, including the lake's native whitefish.

"If there's less ice over time, and there appears to be, there's a chance for greater storminess in the sort of shallow water (bays) that the whitefish spawn in," said Steve Coleman, who directs the Large Lakes Observatory.

Bob Sterner, a University of Minnesota biologist, said warming usually speeds the growth of fish and the plants they feed on. But when it's too fast, it can create big problems.

"Paradoxically, you may well see the lake essentially becoming even more desert-like in the sense that you've reduced the flow of nutrients into the system across that temperature gradient," Sterner said.

The research will be published soon by the American Geophysical Union. The Duluth scientists' next project is trying to prove their suspicion that diminishing ice is contributing to falling lake levels.

Quiti
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

In the last 3 hours we've gotten about 5 inches of snow-what a mess - right at commute times.....

SCOTTY
Username: scotty

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Here in Rochester MN it's snowing like mad, we're forecast to get 10-15 inches in the next 24 hours ! The problem over the last few days has been freezing rain causing power outages. In the last three days I've been without power for 24 hours. This has been an incredibly lopsided winter because the majority of the snow has been in the last month of the winter season. Everyone should be prepared for a day with no power, take it from me !

merovee

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The sky is rumbling! It's been icing, sleeting, and raining all day. Non stop, beating rain. At least it's not snow. Cause it would be feet of it.

One interesting thing to think about is that one inch of rain would come as 6 inches of snow if the temperature were much lower.

The storm looks like a 'land hurricane'!

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well..this is the worst storm we've had in ND all year. man I just shoveled the walk yesterday...well you can't even tell it was shoveled today, the wind is blowing very hard too. The power has been out, I'm not sure what kind of comp access I'll have until this quits. The bad thing about the power being out is of course the heat not being there. The mail guy is days behind they said. I'm doubting if he will catch up today. Even if he does, I still have to go out in this stuff and walk to the post office to get it. I would'nt mind as much if I did'nt hurt so bad and I knew the power would stay on.

zendor
Advanced Member
Username: wizardofoz

Post Number: 348
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Some good news here -- we have been having normal rain for the last month, the drought where i live looks like it might be over (touch wood). My water tank is full and i have to take water out of the pool!

I had forgotten what it was like to get the groceries out of the car in the rain!

The garden (and grass) is growing at tropical rates now there is both heat and water around.

But we are having the most massive thunderstorms i have ever seen -- these monstors have been causing havoc all over the place, as mentioned in the UC story today.
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." -Albert Einstein

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

That is good news zendor, not the intensity but the drought relief for sure.

I'm not sure if I dare say this yet but the storm here seems to be winding down. Still very windy, but maybe a tad less so. I got brazen and booted the comp. My heat situation in a power outage might not be quite as bad as for others. I've got radient heat..the old cast iron loop things. They keep a house warm much longer than forced air. If I must use fossil fuel, this is the most efficient form of it I've ever had. Somebody was being stupid when they invented the forced air furnaces.

I did venture down to the mail today. It looks like a white desert being swept with a sandstorm. In this little town only the inner houses keep the wind from drifting the snow. Where the alley's open to the streets, it's thigh high. Beyond that it's simply white desert drifts. I usually compare it to a lunar landscape but with all the blowing today, more like a vast desert. I admit, I was grinning all the way as I walked to the post office. It was like being in an arctic documentary. Very beautiful in it's own desolate way.

starrover79
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 160
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 2:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I guess it's just the winter blues but I wish spring would come. The first part of winter felt like fall. It was so warm in November and December. Now it's cold and for some reason it feels like winter is just getting started.

Cosmic Seeker
Advanced Member
Username: mikelmn

Post Number: 392
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 3:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Some Australian inland towns may have to be evacuated due to declining water supplies, linked to drought. No link yet, but it seems to be a breaking news story.
Australia, as the driest inhabited continent and with the lowest mean elevation, is more vulnerable to climate change, so the effects will show up here before anywhere else.

anna

Post Number: 522
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We had warm a few weeks ago, then snow off and on for a week or so. Today it's 60 and supposed to be 70 tomorrow. Maybe will have a blizzard in 2 weeks?

kyle
Username: kyle

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We're supposed to have a 'La Nina' season in the Northeast this upcoming summer...which is the reverse of an 'El Nino' season.

The 'El Nino' season supposedly disrupts hurricanes. And they say that the El Nino weather pattern this past summer canceled out the strong hurricane pattern of the summer of Katrina, but supposedly the La Nina pattern encourages hurricanes. And everything seems to be setting up for a 'La Nina' season.

Scary, to say the least.

anna

Post Number: 523
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Tied all time high today 70, way too hot for Mar., hope it doesn't last. Can you spell "flooding"? ugh.....

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 4:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It got up to 51 here in central North Dakota. It's 42 now at 3:25 a.m. We are'nt supposed to anywhere near that yet but it does'nt surprise me. The snow has melted except what was piled up by the snow plows. The roads are bare. I actually walked my mutt tonight as I did'nt have to be concerned about ice. It's supposed to get warmer over the next week.

anna

Post Number: 529
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Today.... NEW YORK - Airlines were forced to cancel hundreds of flights in the northeast United States Friday as a winter storm closed in, bringing a grim mixture of snow, sleet and freezing rain.

anna

Post Number: 530
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We have had record highs this week, low 70's. Ugh... I hope it doesn't crash back into winter, or the shrubs/plants will really suffer... not to mention people....

anna

Post Number: 531
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Now we're back down 20 degrees lower and rained a bit... Better cooler...

Granny

Post Number: 527
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Not exactly weather,but it is included.

Trees in full bloom ... sinus gone crazy.

But ... cats are freaked out completely ... diving over obstacles to run behind couch ... slinking around.

Last couple of days ... something feels different again.

Last evening ... at sunset ... birds going crazy ... light rain.

Later last night ... more fog ... no birds singing, but crickets going crazy.

Here again ... as we have said before ... it is not so much that it is quiet outside ... but somehow a stillness ... a feeling of a shift in ... something ... time?

Gran

starrover79
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well right after I complained that I thought winter would never end, the temperatures shot up in the 80's and stayed that way for a while. It caused all of the fruit trees to bloom a little earlier, all of the trees have leaves on them. Now that Spring has sprung the temperature is dropping a lot. Last night we had a hard freeze, tonight the temperature is supposed to drop to 24 degrees. Things won't warm up till after the weekend. I wonder how bad this bout of cold weather is going to hurt the local fruit crop. I also wonder how it will affect the trees in general. They already have leaves.

Oh and my cat is acting weird too.(My cat probably talks to his friends and how weird their pet humans act!!!

starrover79
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Oh I think all of those missing honey bees must be living in my back yard! I prayed really hard for bees to come and polinate my fruit trees this year, because honey bees have been scarce the last few years. Well I've got hundreds of honey bees in my back yard!!! I guess you really get what you ask for. Maybe I should have prayed for stable weather and honeybees!

Regina
Username: rchante

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

That's really awesome news to hear, starrover, particularly after having just returned from reading the article over at Earthfiles. My dear friend bought me a little stick-on bee, made of felt and a fuzzy, to keep with me for inspiration, in hopes that our little buzzing friends will return. I've seen a few bumble bees in our area, but i think it's still a little early in the season to determine if their numbers have declined as well.

Power to the honeybees return!
You will find peace of mind-If you look way down in your heart and soul-Don’t hesitate ‘cause the world seems cold-Stay young at heart ‘cause you’re never old at heart.

starrover79
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well I woke up to light snow flurries. The leaves on the trees are all frozen. The spring flowers are all frozen. My lilacs are frozen in full bloom. Looks like this is going to be an interesting spring.

Regina

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Aw, geez. That isn't normal, is it?
You will find peace of mind-If you look way down in your heart and soul-Don’t hesitate ‘cause the world seems cold-Stay young at heart ‘cause you’re never old at heart.

starrover79
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 174
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's not normal at all for the area of the country I live in to have weather like this. I bet the price of peaches and apples is going to be high. I've never seen a hard freeze at this time of the year.

slw
Username: slw

Post Number: 611
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Snow flurries here in East Texas this morning. I think the last time that happened here this time of year was in 1989! We had warm weather a couple of days ago. I was hoping to not have a heating bill this month but no such luck! I'm "dreaming of a white Easter".....NOT! LOL

Mama Shine
Username: mama_shine

Post Number: 2180
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 2:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Record low temp for the New Orleans area. Freezing rain and light snow predicted for some areas. This type weather hasn't happened here since around 1971. Forget Easter egg hunts.
I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. ~William Blake

merovee

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 3:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

All the crocuses and forsythias, and yong blossoms are frozen here in Michigan. There have been several (80 degrees f)warm days so far this year and on Sunday I went for a glorious walk in the park, everything was awakening. Little frogs and tadpoles, and ducks and geese mating. The first flowers were blooming and we opened all the windows in the house. Now there is a few inches of icy snow on the ground and trees and the flowers are frozen. No pretty blossoms this year! Very weird. Even for Michigan. It's not just a little cold, its like a windchill int he single digits. Sometimes I wonder if big oil doesn't control the weather and they are trying to make up for lost profits due to an abnormally late start to winter, here it didn't really get below freezing until January as opposed to the usual November. Well they can stop now because we are going to starve it this keeps up.

anna

Post Number: 575
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It was 75 a few days ago, for about 4 days and now snow/rain the forecast tomorrow. Colder today and poured rain, which we needed! :-) I hope my fruits survive all this... Glad my lettuce is still in the coldframe...
"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work." - Emile Zola

starrover79
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It looks more like fall than spring were I live. All of the leaves that froze are dying.

Amaruk
Intermediate Member
Username: machupicchu

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's been snowing all day in Montreal. Glad I still have my winter tires. Beautiful big flakes kept falling all day. Great, although not very Spring like ...

susi t learn
Username: etsi

Post Number: 6029
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

this is crazy...day before yesterday i was sweating, running around in shorts.

then yesterday the temp dropped so i had to put on sweats. then it rained all night even though the weather announcer said it would be dry!

graciesmom
Username: jmb

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

They are forecasting a major winter "nor'easter" starting Sunday night that will dump OVER A FOOT OF SNOW on central PA! Hello? Isn't this SPRING? Actually, there are two tracks the storm could take; one to the north, bringing snow; the other would be the storm passing over Virginia, bringing mostly heavy rain to the north.

Gemini
Advanced Member
Username: gemini

Post Number: 482
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

graciesmom, I was just coming here to post something about the storm coming to PA this weekend.

From the National Weather Service Bulletin -
".A HISTORIC LATE SEASON WINTER STORM WILL BRING POTENTIALLY
RECORD BREAKING SNOWS TO PARTS OF CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA SATURDAY
NIGHT AND SUNDAY."

Oh, goodie....

graciesmom
Username: jmb

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Here's my old colleague Henry's take:

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/news-blogs.asp?partner=accuweather&blog=meteomadness

Earlier in the day, Elliot Abrams, the chief senior meterologist, was betting on just heavy rain. Oh, and my old job is open again. HA! No way in HECK would I ever apply! They done me wrong.

starrover79
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Check out Indy's post #12 in the thread "Like Watching "The Day After Tomorrow."

anna

Post Number: 584
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well, this seems to be a "regular" thing now. Warm weather for a few days/week, then cold, winter for a few days/week. Was 65 today and forecast for rain/snow Wed., then back up by Sat. Really bizarre. I have lived here in the Boise area over 10 years and never seen this unstable type of spring weather in Mar./April.

I have been conservative about planting too early, as I watch my neighbors planting (and NOT mulching) away. Oh, well.... Atleast I have my cold frame full of lettuce mixed greens! I just started harvesting last week. I'm HAPPY!!! Atleast we are getting rain too...
"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work." - Emile Zola

Edwina!

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Killer tornadoes in Texas and Mexico, which is almost unheard of!

Weather Underground, Jeff Masters' Blog
Liberty or Death!

Regina

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi Edwina, thank for the link. This little excerpt from the blog is certainly a wake up call:

"It's been a bad year for tornadoes--last night's storm brought the 2007 U.S. death toll to 58. The average tornado death toll for the entire year has been just 46 the past three years. It's only April, and we still have the peak tornado months of May and June to get through."
Enlightenment is not a destination.. It lies somewhere in between.
Tito, the Monkey Scribe

miaree9
Username: miaree9

Post Number: 620
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

That is an interesting link, Edwina. Night before last, tornadoes struck two little towns in the Texas Panhandle and did considerable damage. One of them, Tulia, is about 20 miles from where I grew up. The news said that about 15 blocks in town were destroyed--and it's not a very large town.

Jimmy
Advanced Member
Username: chippyo

Post Number: 442
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

10 people killed and even worse the can't find the remains of 4 trailors in the Texas Tornadoes.

"We have the Information, now what do we do with it?"

Edwina!

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

OMG Jimmy-- if they can't find the remains of the trailors, they might not be able to find the residents either!
Liberty or Death!

anna

Post Number: 606
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Almost 85 here today, more tomorrow then cooler. That's about 20 degrees higher than normal... :-(

quigs
Username: astralgazer

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It is unseasonably warm here as well. I don't know if it's related but there is horrible skunk like smell that is covering a very large area. They were even talking about it on the radio today. We are in ND and someone called in and said they could smell it once they started coming across the border from South Dakota to North Dakota. I was getting ready for work this morning and I really thought there was a skunk in the house. I was walking around with an umbrella in case it tried to spray me. But no it is just something in the air. I think it's because we warmed up way too fast. One day it was about 45-50 and the next we were pushing 80. Crazy stuff.
"Direct your eye right inward, and you'll find
a thousand regions in your mind yet undiscovered. Travel them and be expert in home-cosmography."
William Habbington

anna

Post Number: 614
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We are in this yo-yo thing. 20 degrees up or down in less than 1 day. Tonite rain, and 60ish, after days of 80ish...

quigs
Username: astralgazer

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

All right this smell has not gone away. My whole neighborhood has stunk for days now. I'm wondering if it's like the NYC incident where they had that smell and no one knew where it was coming from. It's very potent. I was trying to garden yesterday and I couldn't even stay outside for more than 15 minutes. Maybe it's Mother Nature's revenge. :-) I'm worried that maybe the water table in my area is polluted somehow. Can that happen?
"Direct your eye right inward, and you'll find
a thousand regions in your mind yet undiscovered. Travel them and be expert in home-cosmography."
William Habbington

Edwina!

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Non-tropical Storm with Tropical characteristics. The NHC ( nhc.noaa.gov ) predicts that if present trends continue, the storm will be named Andrea
Liberty or Death!

Edwina!

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

NHC prediction here.
Liberty or Death!

anna

Post Number: 641
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We have been way too hot the last month, 80' in April and May. We have had some rain, but I think it may be an early HOT summer :-(

Cosmic Seeker

Post Number: 566
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 7:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I saw some mysterious planes making clouds. It has been raining a lot here (SE Australia) and the drought might be breaking. I don't know whether these are cloud-seeding planes. They appear from nowhere.

Jimmy
Advanced Member
Username: chippyo

Post Number: 471
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hooray! I am glad that your drought is over Cosmic Seeker..was looking grim there.

"We have the Information, now what do we do with it?"

Cosmic Seeker

Post Number: 568
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thanks for your kind thoughts Jimmy. It is not quite over, but looks promising all the same. Apparently, a La Nina is forming. Unfortunately, that may mean drought for folks in California or that region.

noeticguy
Username: guyh

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

In April we had a 'hundred year' storm of 8-10" of rain in 24 hrs. in Connecticut. In May we have had several small tornadoes. Let's see what June brings us...

anna

Post Number: 660
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We're supposed to set a record high the next day or 2, 96 or so. It SHOULD be in the 70's, which I would like MUCH better! Too hot, 90 today :-(