Archive through January 31, 2007 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Superstorm / Climate Change » Earthquake/Volcano thread » Archive through January 31, 2007 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chr15t05
Advanced Member
Username: chr15t05

Post Number: 452
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yellowstone lava domes swelling fast
Associated Press

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. - A geologist says some parts of the continually shifting, collapsed volcano at the center of the park are swelling unusually fast.

Bob Smith, one of the leading researchers into Yellowstone's geology, presented some of his findings at the American Geological Union meeting in San Francisco this week.

Smith and other geologists from the University of Utah are particularly interested in two subterranean lava domes deep beneath the Yellowstone caldera.

"We've gone to this really pronounced, and I would say unprecedented, uplift of the caldera," he said.

Using data collected on the ground and from satellites, scientists say the Mallard Lake Dome, west of Yellowstone Lake's West Thumb, has risen 4 centimeters a year since the middle of 2004. Meanwhile, the Sour Creek Dome north of Fishing Bridge has risen about 6 centimeters a year.

Smith said an infusion of magma may be heating up groundwater and causing the ground to bulge.

"It's like inflating the balloon, but the balloon is capped," he said.

Link
"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true."

Hale
Username: hale

Post Number: 549
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well it is interesting, this Yellowstone thing. I am of course still waiting to see if anything happens around, oh, say, February. That would be about five months after I got the big black five thing. But still waiting.
Then there was that little bird incident......

Personally, I think it is entirely probable that that cauldera could go off bigger than anyone could imagine. I know I am like a broken record, but I recall many years ago geologists expressing THEIR concern over the effects of global warming, which was not about losing a few meters of shoreline from more liquid water off the poles, but about the redistributed weight from the ice now beginning circling the globe as liquid water, exerting newfound pressure on the crust of the earth. And since so much of the oceans contain volcanos, their concern was that the weight from liquid water would trigger a renewed era of intensified volcanic activity. Both under water and above it. This would on balance tend to cool things off quite a bit and do the opposite of global warming, which I believe is the hidden danger no one is really talking about. Not global warming, but volcanic winter. Ice Age baby! Just your kind of climate (KGP)!

So I am interested why so little about this point is being mentioned nowadays, but it is not like I spend the time to read up on it. Gotta make a living, or try to. But as I have said, I have this feeling that with the convergence of sun, magnetic field weakining, and global warming, the volcanic activity will quite possibly be greater than otherwise experienced. I think we are running headlong down that hole. Big vent hole, that is.
"No Guru, no method, no teacher, Just you and I and nature"- Van Morrison

Gemini
Advanced Member
Username: gemini

Post Number: 404
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mount St. Helens is acting up, too. I heard just a clip about it on one of the news channels today and then didn't hear any more.

susi t learn
Username: etsi

Post Number: 4852
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

man, that kuril island area has been highly active. if it has something like the indonesia quake, that could mean a tsunami for thepacific coast.

susi t learn

Post Number: 4920
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

there was a magnitude 7 in taiwan. that area is so active.

anna
Advanced Member
Username: anna

Post Number: 439
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==

***This event supersedes event AT00000610.

Region: TAIWAN REGION
Geographic coordinates: 21.813N, 120.529E
Magnitude: 7.1 Mb
Depth: 10 km
Universal Time (UTC): 26 Dec 2006 12:26:21
Time near the Epicenter: 26 Dec 2006 20:26:21
Local time in your area: 26 Dec 2006 05:26:21

Location with respect to nearby cities:
91 km (57 miles) SSE (164 degrees) of Kao-hsiung, Taiwan
120 km (75 miles) SSW (213 degrees) of T'ai-tung, Taiwan
137 km (85 miles) SSE (167 degrees) of T'ai-nan, Taiwan
802 km (498 miles) N (357 degrees) of MANILA, Philippines

CNN-- Japan's Meteorogical Agency says an earthquake off Taiwan had a prelimary magnitude of 7.2 and that a 3-foot high tsunami is headed for the east coast of Philippines, The Associated Press reports.

Krystal Gale Potter
Username: paradox1022

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Two quakes. 7 and 7.1
Until humanity recognizes paradox as a definitive, the world shall know neither balance nor truth. http://www.kgppredicts.com

wolfshadow
Username: wolfshadow

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

That's weird I didn't hear anything on the news about this.with something that size and a tsunami threat you would have thought it would have been plastered all over.

Granny
Advanced Member
Username: phar9

Post Number: 399
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

wolf ...

No, actually I would not have expected the news to say one word about the quakes ... not our sold-out press ... watched all year as disasters happened around the globe, many killed and displaced ... zip ... nothing.

Gran

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

wolf, the only disasters the media will report are the ones they can't hide. If it happens in a highly caucasian area or tourist area, it gets reported. That is a very small fraction of the planet. In the past couple of years over a hundred thousand people have been displaced because of volcanic activity alone. Entire islands have been evacuated and the indiginous residents homeless. That's just one type of disaster. They don't want people to know what is going on. They want to feign normalcy as long as they can.
Until humanity recognizes paradox as a definitive, the world shall know neither balance nor truth. http://www.kgppredicts.com

wolfshadow

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

That makes sense to me.so let me ask another question do you think that all are natural events or man made?

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Both. Part are purely natural. Part man- made, and part technically natural but the aftermath of the man made events..kinda like dominoes going down.

Granny
Advanced Member
Username: phar9

Post Number: 414
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 2:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Guys ...

Is part of this thread missing?

Dates do not seem right.

Gran

Quiti
Intermediate Member
Username: starcat

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Granny, the dates seem ok.....

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I've been watching the maps and the number of quakes around the globe that are 6 & over seem to be dwindle to nothing. I KNOW i heard a 6+ the other day. I have no doubts one occurred..but it ain't showin'. Almost every round (it's the cycle of quakes in the ring of fire) produces at least one and usually two 6 mag quakes. It has'nt been happening. The quakes that are showing are all 5.9 and below.

Now, either they are wiping those quakes, or the planet is constipated and that can't be good. (I'm as good with imagary as some other people I know on the board lol)

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Oh... and this could just be coincidence but it's happened twice now. The other day I was talking about Yellowstone again..my comp got attacked 10 times that night. My Malware program caught it. Not a haphazard virus from a site or an email or anything..a person trying to attack my comp directly.

wolfshadow

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Krystal,

I know that yellowstone is a supervolcano are there any other's in the US that don't get the same attention??

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I've got discsussions on Yellowstone in The prediction site thread and the dreams thread and here LOL

Uh yah..Long Valley Cauldera is a Supervolcano. I think there is one other in the U.S. but it's believed to be extinct. I don't remember that one. Long valley is showing a lot of microquake/gas/vapor activity but as far as I know, not the uplift that is occuring at Yellowstone. There is also a big bulge of deformation happening in Oregon somplace that might indicate a new supervolcano being born.

Outside of the US there are a few. I've wondered about Toba being right there in the thick of quake activity in Sumatra.

The dream I had the other night seems to indicate that man either knows about this or is helping to bring it to fruition. (I've actually had two dreams that indicate man's involvment) I am thinking it's a US thing though because my instincts are telling me to leave ND.

Hale

Post Number: 616
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Wanna suggest some links for monitoring volcano/earthquakes?

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sorry..I thought pretty much everyone knew LOL

Uh..these are the links I use the most, but as I said..I seriously think they are being wiped now.

http://www.iris.washington.edu/seismon/

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/index.php

and this one is interesting although they don't get the quakes on there right away.

http://visz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert.php?lang=eng

anna
Advanced Member

Post Number: 459
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Here goes another one!!!
Managua - Nicaragua's Telica volcano, one of six active in the Central American nation, threw a column of ash and gas hundreds of feet into the air on Tuesday. Around 2 500 people live close to the volcano, but no one was evacuated.

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 3:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Montserrat erupted on the 8th too.

anna
Advanced Member

Post Number: 460
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Kyrgyzstan: BISHKEK - An earthquake with a magnitude 6.0 on the Richter scale occurred in the Batken district of Kyrgyzstan overnight, the republicís Ministry of Ecology and Emergency Situations told Itar-Tass on Tuesday. The quake epicentre was located 90 kilometres southwest of the Batken regional centre in the Turkestan range area.

graciesmom
Username: jmb

Post Number: 579
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Why all the daily activity around the Aleutian Islands?

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's been that way since I've been looking at the maps. Highly volcanic/quake prone area.

anna
Advanced Member

Post Number: 464
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

CNN- Tsunami warning issued for Japan and surrounding areas after quake east of Kuril Islands, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center says.

Dhyan1111
Intermediate Member
Username: dhyan1111

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 7:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Might I point out that the Kuril Islands 8.2 is the same area where the earthquakes were forming a circle awhile back. Remember, when the smaller earthquakes were occurring in a circular pattern, leaving a hole in the middle. Target practice ahead of time? Maybe it's these types of things ahead of time the gov't is censoring with USGS and others.

Or perhaps the NYC smell; if that was the Hudson Submarine Canyon, they could have censored any small tremblor in that area and no one would have known.

anna
Advanced Member

Post Number: 465
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

***This event has been revised.

Region: EAST OF KURIL ISLANDS
Geographic coordinates: 46.288N, 154.447E
Magnitude: 8.2 Mw
Depth: 10 km
Universal Time (UTC): 13 Jan 2007 04:23:20
Time near the Epicenter: 13 Jan 2007 14:23:20
Local time in your area: 12 Jan 2007 21:23:20

807 km (501 miles) SSW (204 degrees) of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy, Russia
1703 km (1058 miles) NE (42 degrees) of TOKYO, Japan

Quiti
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

sooo, who else is really bothered as to why the west coast is so quiet. Or have I missed something...

Krystal-do you remember the 9.2 quake that occurred around thanksgiving time in Nevada about 8-9 years ago?

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

No, I don't think I've ever heard about it. At that time I would have been living out in the woods with no electric/tv or even radio. (For quite awhile I lived in an almost complete state of nature).

Yes, the quiet does bother me. I have written about it in the prediction site thread a couple of times. I think I said something to the extent about the western US being like the cork in a champagne bottle that is being shaken.

Quiti
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well-it disappeared from the USGS site almost immediately (hummm-wonder why) I remember Art Bell talking about it when it happened (I think he felt it)-I saw it on the USGS site-next day it was gone. Was just wondering if anyone else remembered it

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm trying to find it.. I found a magnitude calculation site that used it for an example. They say it was a 6.1 magnitude, the largest quake to hit the Nevada area in 28 years. http://seismo.unr.edu/ftp/pub/louie/class/100/magnitude.html

Oh quiti..THIS should interest you LOL

http://patrick.net/wp/?p=356

One thing I remember..would have been 97 or 98. A friend from a clan in the tribe who lived out in NY, came to visit me. He brought me a short wave radio and we strung the antennae up through the trees in the woods. I got the BBC and they were broadcasting about a huge quake that had hit ..I think the Japan area. My friends said that nothing was reported about it on the t.v. news here in the states. BBC said it was terrible and they were thinking it was a 9 on the richter. I never heard anything more about it. I did'nt have a comp or anything at the time. I did'nt even know how to use a comp at the time.

when my friend and I strung up that shortwave radio in the trees was the first time I heard Art Bell incidently LOL )

Quiti
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Krystal-that was the same time frame. like so much else-it was dropped from the "radar" as it were almost immediately.

rebecca
Intermediate Member
Username: rebecca

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We experienced a small quake in Sonoma County (No Calif) at 3:30am Thursday.

anna
Advanced Member

Post Number: 466
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

SCIENCE NEWS
January 14, 2007
Comoros Volcano Tremors Grow Stronger, More Frequent

MORONI (Reuters) - Earth tremors from Comoros' volcano Mount Karthala grew stronger and more frequent, residents said on Sunday, forcing thousands of nervous families to sleep outside overnight for fear their homes might collapse.

The Indian Ocean archipelago's largest island, Grand Comore, was put on red alert after Mount Karthala -- one of the world's largest active volcanos -- began to glow red and emit suffocating fumes late on Friday.

The 2,361-meter (7,746-foot) Mount Karthala dominates Grand Comore, but its eruptions, which happen on average every 11 years, have rarely caused a major disaster.

But while lava levels inside the crater have subsided, earth tremors have become more frequent. Hamidou Soule, a geologist who leads the Karthala surveillance center, said tremors were lasting up to five seconds and had reached five on the Richter scale.

"The lava and the gases remain trapped and are looking to crack through the mountain. It seems the main chimney is blocked," he said. "The frequency of the tremors shows that a (lava) flow could happen in any part of the island."

Residents said people were prepared to evacuate.
"The tremors get stronger and stronger every 15 minutes," said Ibrahim Youssouf, a photographer from Mitsoudje village on the volcano's southwestern slope. "A good number of people have packed their bags, ready to flee in case of eruption."

Another resident from a village on the volcano's western slope said high temperatures had made the air dry. "It feels like everything will explode," he said.

In the capital Moroni, thousands slept outside overnight and national radio broadcast appeals for calm and readings from the Koran across the mainly Muslim island.

"When I felt the tremor, I woke my wife and we stayed in the garden," said resident Abderemane Koudre. "We thought the house was going to collapse. It was frightening."

In 1903, 17 died from noxious fumes that seeped from cracks, and the last big eruption was in April 2005 when thousands fled in fear of poisonous gas and lava.

From: http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003&articleID=BCB91D59186AA1E622116246 FC3FE62C

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

That might be why I have an overabundance of volcanic symptoms. I think I reacted last time Moroni acted up. But not like this... but I don't think larry's instruments would pick up on 5's in Moroni island though. They'd be too far away from his sensors..I think. I suppose if the whole island were going to blow apart it might be what we are feeling.

anna
Advanced Member

Post Number: 469
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

AP) A magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck Japan early Tuesday, rocking buildings in the capital city but causing no tsunami. No injuries or damage were immediately reported.

The quake struck at 3:18 a.m. Tuesday and was centered 105 miles underground in Shizuoka state, about 94 miles west of Tokyo, Japan's meteorological agency said.

Light shaking was felt in Tokyo and as far as Aomori prefecture, some 360 miles northeast of the capital.

Tuesday's quake came after a magnitude 8.2 temblor off northern Japan triggered tsunami warnings Saturday, sending thousands fleeing to higher ground but causing no reported injuries or damage.

That quake struck below the seabed about 310 miles east of a disputed island chain known as the Northern Territories in Japan and the Kuril islands in Russia.

More than three hours after the quake, the largest wave, at 16 inches, hit Chichi-jima, an island of 2,000 people about 620 miles south of Tokyo.

Japan sits atop four tectonic plates and is one of the world's most earthquake-prone countries.

The last devastating quake to hit Tokyo was in 1923, when a magnitude 8.3 temblor killed 142,000 people. Powerful quakes in 1703, 1782, 1812 and 1855 also caused considerable damage in Tokyo.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/15/world/main2359512.shtml

Quiti
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Krystal-have you seen this?
(sorry-could not get it to open in a new window)

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72451-0.html?tw=wn_index_5

Ldyhawk369
Advanced Member
Username: ldyhawk369

Post Number: 330
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

7.3 Molucca Sea

anna
Advanced Member

Post Number: 473
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Earthquake Rattles Northeast Indonesia
Jan 21st - 8:57am
MANADO, Indonesia (AP) - An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.3 shook buildings for several minutes in northeastern Indonesia Sunday and caused minor damage, the U.S. Geological Survey and witnesses said.

There were no immediate reports of casualties or a tsunami after the underwater tremor off the eastern coast of Sulawesi island.

Three people were slightly injured when a church was damaged in the regional capital, Manado, a witness told The Associated Press. And frightened residents on the islands of Maluku and Sulawesi ran in panic to higher ground.

The Indonesian seismological institute, which put the tremor at 6.7 magnitude, issued a tsunami alert via local television and radio after the earthquake hit around six miles under the Molucca Sea.

The epicenter was about 80 miles from the city of Ternate in the Maluku capital and nearly 1,400 miles northeast of Jakarta.

Indonesia, the world's largest archipelago, is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the so-called Pacific "Ring of Fire," an arc of volcanos and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.

In December 2004, a massive earthquake struck off Indonesia's Sumatra island and triggered a tsunami that killed more than 230,000 lives _ 131,000 people in Indonesia's Aceh province alone. A tsunami off Java island last year killed nearly 5,000.

Beldar
Username: beldar

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

What's going on in the Molucca Sea is truly alarming!
29 quakes at 5+ in the last 6 days, including a 6+ and what usgs is reporting now was a 7.5!
This feels very unsettling.

anna
Advanced Member

Post Number: 481
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Quake Rocks Eastern Turkey, No Casualties
A moderate earthquake measuring 4.7 on the Richter scale jolted the eastern Turkish province of Elazig, causing minor damage but no casualties, officials said.

The epicenter of the quake, which hit at 10:20 am (0820 GMT), was in Baskurt village near the town of Karakocan, the Istanbul-based Kandilli observatory said.

The tremor caused walls to crack in five houses in a nearby village, but there were no reports of injuries or deaths, Elazig Governor Muammer Musmal told Anatolia news agency.

A tremor measuring 5.0 on the Richter scale on Sunday jolted the province of Agri, northeast of Elazig, again causing damage to buildings but no casualties.

Earthquakes are frequent in Turkey, which is crossed by several major fault lines.

Two violent temblors in the heavily populated, industrialised northwest claimed about 20,000 lives in August and November 1999.

susi t learn

Post Number: 5386
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

6.7 in the macquerie islands. any of you southern aussies feel it?

anna
Advanced Member

Post Number: 486
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Undersea Volcano May Have Caused Quakes-
By EDUARDO GALLARDO Associated Press Writer

January 30,2007
SANTIAGO, Chile -- A wave of small earthquakes that has caused alarm in southern Chile may be related to the birth of an undersea volcano, officials said Tuesday.

More than 1,700 tremors have been recorded recently in the rugged, sparsely populated area dotted with volcanos and cut with fjords. Dozens of people slept outside or in tents on recent nights, fearing a larger quake might follow and topple their houses.

Most of the quakes have been too small to be felt, but some registered up to magnitude 4, according to the government's Emergency Bureau.

Volcano expert Juan Cayupi, part of a team that has been investigating the quakes, said scientists believe the quakes have been caused by "a magma force that is pressing up toward the surface, and is fracturing the rock" some 6 miles below the surface.

Cayupi said in a telephone interview Tuesday with The Associated Press from the area that the movement will probably result in "a small submarine volcano."

But he said "the reduced area affected" means that if a volcanic eruption occurs, it should be relatively small.

"We can safely say that there is no danger for the population" of some 35,000 people who live in Puerto Aysen and Puerto Chacabuco, the two towns closest to the Aysen Fjord.

Cayupi said the epicenter has been estimated to be 12 miles north-west of Puerto Chacabuco. Aysen provincial Gov. Viviana Betancourt also said Tuesday that there is no danger to the population, which has remained mostly calm. She said authorities will continue to constantly monitor the situation.

Chile is an earthquake-prone nation with some 2,900 volcanoes. About 500 of them considered active though only about 60 have erupted in historic times.

anna
Advanced Member

Post Number: 488
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Region: KERMADEC ISLANDS, NEW ZEALAND
Geographic coordinates: 29.530S, 177.660W
Magnitude: 6.5 M
Depth: 33 km
Universal Time (UTC): 31 Jan 2007 03:15:52
Time near the Epicenter: 31 Jan 2007 15:15:52
Local time in your area: 30 Jan 2007 20:15:52

37 km (23 miles) SSE (147 degrees) of Raoul Island, Kermadec Islands
963 km (598 miles) SSW (194 degrees) of NUKU'ALOFA, Tonga
3148 km (1956 miles) WSW (240 degrees) of PAPEETE, Tahiti, French Polynesia

Gemini
Advanced Member
Username: gemini

Post Number: 450
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I wonder what's up with the cluster of small earthquakes near the New York/Canada border? There's been 9 just in the past few days!

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 4:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I've been wondering about that too Gemini. I've always thought cluster quakes to be magmic, but I've never seen them in the east like that. Is that a volcanic area I wonder ?

anna
Advanced Member

Post Number: 490
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Today:
Strong Earthquake Near Mariana Islands
KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 31 (Bernama) -- A strong earthquake measuring 6.9 on the Richter scale occurred near Mariana Islands, the northernmost islands of Micronesia, early this morning.

The Meteorologyl Department said the 5.37am earthquake occurred at 21.1 degrees North, 145.1 degrees East and about 3,370km northeast of Sandakan, Sabah.

The department in a statement issued here today said that there was a "very small possibility of a local tsunami near the earthquake centre".
However, there was no tsunami threat to Malaysia, it said.

susi t learn

Post Number: 5403
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i saw a docu that said though it's not well known, there's a large fault through new york.

Hale

Post Number: 714
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I think I read somewhere about smaller lesser known fault lines, too. I'd have to ride in my wayback machine to find the article, but alas, my family does not let me have the keys to it anymore. This is my way of saying my memory aint what it used to be.