Archive through January 08, 2007 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Superstorm / Climate Change » Post Your Weird Weather Here » Archive through January 08, 2007 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

susi t learn
Username: etsi

Post Number: 4977
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

all spring and summer, nothing. now that it's winter and freezing, raining and snowing, my petunias are in bloom??!! what's up with that?

nonmessy
Intermediate Member
Username: nonmessy

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Cleaning out the closets while I have been off work I noticed the wool sweaters and snow boots I haven't had on in at least two years. I am glad I bought a lighter jacket this year because I haven't had much cause to use my winter coats yet. People recall when it used to snow in the winter in Kentucky. No more it seems. The local weather forcasters come on gleefully explaining how lucky we are that New Years will be coming in with temperatures in the 50's or 60's. NOT! I don't like freezing any more than anyone else but this isn't normal. It is almost like we have the winters now that North Carolina had 20 years ago, just from my observations. The last "Winter" weather we got was a giant, bizzare ice storm in 2003 that ravaged Lexington. That in itself was weird, then nothing more than a very occasional skiff of snow for almost 4 years.

Janet Rivenbark
Advanced Member
Username: janetgr

Post Number: 242
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yeah, and North Carolina is getting weather more like Southern South Carolina and Georgia.

I was raised in Michigan and remember some pretty cold, snowy weather there in the 50's and 60's. But there is one thing I also remember and that was my teachers in High School telling us that we were coming out of a mini-ice age and that the weather we had for the first part of the 20th Century (and a little before) was actually abnormally cold. I'm not discounting the global warming thing; I do believe it is happening and that humanity is pushing it along at a faster pace, but I also belive that a lot of this is part of a cycle and no matter what we do or had done, it would happen anyway, just maybe not right now.
Janet

BELIEVE--things happen for a reason!

Jimmy
Advanced Member
Username: chippyo

Post Number: 264
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 1:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

In the coming decade you can expect the weather to be what is 500 miles below you in latitude.

Philly will have NC weather & Vermont will have ours.

I read this in a remote viewers book and several earth climate scienctists have predicted such.

Note to self: Do not invest in a ski resort.

"Old Wine in New Bottles..."- SBWII

Regina
Username: rchante

Post Number: 823
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 1:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I hear polar bears may be put on the Endangered Species list because of the rapidly melting polar ice caps. How will that help to put them on a list? Do people hunt them? I also wonder what will become of them. Surely, many thousands of year ago, during the last global warming, they had to acclimate to the environment. Wonder how they did it?
Hey I got an idea! Let's wake up!

Thomas
Username: thomas_j_veil

Post Number: 6122
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 1:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Some people say that there's a bunch of gray-colored little buggers that crawl up out of the ground, or hover overhead in some kind of "flying machine," and take "samples" of folks like the polar bears so that they can be re-constituted later, just in case that a certain "hairless ape with an attitude" ruins the party for everybody.
“Question what’s real. Question who’s real.”

Janet Rivenbark
Advanced Member

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 8:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

500 miles south, you say? That means Wilmington, NC will be more like Miami. Does that mean we will get their hurricanes too? We already get enough of our own.

Hey kids, no more snow days.
Janet

Dhyan1111
Intermediate Member
Username: dhyan1111

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Jimmy wrote:
In the coming decade you can expect the weather to be what is 500 miles below you in latitude.

Philly will have NC weather & Vermont will have ours.

Dhyan: From what I understand, the 9.3 Indonesia Earthquake two years ago did shift the planet approximately 500 miles, so that would be correct. What was 500 miles south of you, now you have their weather. At least in this side of the Northern Hemisphere. From all the "weird weather" reports right on this board, it seems to be true NOW.

Krystal Gale Potter
Username: paradox1022

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

For the first time since October...it's really snowing ! About 6 inches in 4.5 hours. Sweet..except...Dave's not here to shovel the drive & walkway. But at least it looks like North Dakota now.

500 miles huh ? So, since I like the deep freeze...I have to move to one of the poles ? It's ok, I've already claimed Antarctica and my Penguin Army are working diligently to install new freezer coils to stop the melting/breaking problem. Here is an arial view of a couple of soldiers in my genetically superior giant penguin army.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/Paradox1022/pengslap.gif
Until humanity recognizes paradox as a definitive, the world shall know neither balance nor truth. http://www.kgppredicts.com

Thomas

Post Number: 6135
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Regarding the spate of tornadoes recently: weren't tornadoes this time of year almost unheard of only a decade or two ago? Or am I just paying more attention? Does anyone have any hard facts on this?
“Question what’s real. Question who’s real.”

Janet Rivenbark
Advanced Member

Post Number: 244
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 8:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

"Traditionally" tornadoes happen in the spring and fall (and during hurricanes) when the weather is unsettled and changing, but that pretty much describes the weather year round now, so I guess it makes sense.
Janet

Jimmy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 265
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Weird December folks.... way warm above norms here in the mid atlantic.

Today I had 2 flies in my car.. no freeze kill, never seen that in December....ever!

Spring Mountain... No snow can't even blow snow as it's above 32 all night long. Freidn went snowboarding in the Poconos.. said it was like late spring sking mountain was very bony with patches of snow only 1/4th the lifts open.

Damn...

susi t learn
Username: etsi

Post Number: 5013
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

jimmy

when my sister was in college she used to earn money working at the buckhill falls in the poconos. beautiful country.

Beldar
Username: beldar

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We received a clock for Christmas that displays the time and outside temperature on the ceiling. I woke up at 2:30 this morning and it was saying it was 51 degrees outside. I found this hard to believe, because I live in Denver, where it's never 50 degrees in the middle of the night in January. At least in the 30 years I've been here.
I have family in upstate New York reporting spring like conditions for weeks.
This morning they're saying that the cherry trees are blooming right now in D.C.
Very strange indeed.

Cosmic Seeker
Advanced Member
Username: mikelmn

Post Number: 220
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 3:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I heard that trees are blossoming in Washington DC; they're eating ice-cream in Rome; the Russians are suffering from snow deprivation; no snow in New York; rivers running dry in Australia.
Big changes look certain now.
“Don't think about what you'll be doing next year. Think about what you'll be doing in a million years”
-Lobsang Rampa.

graciesmom
Username: jmb

Post Number: 563
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It has not gone below 45 during the day since God knows when here in central PA! It's raining today, but again, it's over 45 degrees F!

Gemini
Advanced Member
Username: gemini

Post Number: 422
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I live in PA also and yesterday was so nice I hung some laundry out to dry!
And I picked a couple of tiny blue flowers that are blooming in my yard.
It's like spring.

(Message edited by Gemini on January 05, 2007)

Jimmy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 272
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Last night the SE PA news station NBC 10 weatherperson said that on Sat we could break the old record of 70 in Jan set back in 1953.

Then I have to 'defend' Global Climate Change to whomever is in the room.

The deal is this: Yes there have been occasional abberations or anomlies in the climate history of temperature recordings.

What most people don't GET is the frequency that these successive anomlies are doing.

Example the last 2-4 years have been the cumulative warmest on record. One has to examine the overall trend.

The analogy is the stock market: Daily Highs & lows but there is an overall trend. And the FREQUENCY is the issue. Much like the 2 blind men who each have a part of the elephant, one has the trunk andthe other has the tail, neither one 'sees' the big picture that is the elephant.

Tell that to those who critize you.

Janet Rivenbark
Advanced Member

Post Number: 254
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The weather around here today has a real odd feel to it (odder than it has been). It is just a little after noon and the temperature is 75 and there is a strong, gusty breeze out of the south. It is overcast (30% chance of rain.) I have all the windows open and it is quiet, quieter than it usually is this time of year. All I hear is the breeze through the trees and the occasional crow and frogs croaking; imagine frogs in January. And my cats are patrolling the windows. They are usually content to sit on one window sill and nap; especially if it is open, but Missy is going back and forth from the bedroom's side window to the front window and Bailey is making the circuit of all the windows he can get at. A few minutes ago I even saw him standing on his hind legs so he could see out the front picture window (it doesn't have a sill.)

They have made me nervous. I have checked all the weather forecasts, and even looked at the radar and there doesn't seem to be anything headed this way. There is a tornado warning watch box down in southwestern South Carolina and Georgia, but that is at least a day away.

Anybody else got that feeling of anticipation? Maybe something to do with what Krystal has been getting lately?
Janet

Dhyan1111
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Jimmy had written:
What most people don't GET is the frequency that these successive anomlies are doing.

Dhyan: Not to mention that this is not a local thing; it's happening ALL OVER THE WORLD at the same time. Try and find just one area that hasn't reported record breaking temps one way or the other; or record breaking droughts or rain. When you look at the BIG picture, all this is not good.

To me "Global Warming" is a combination of natural (volcano example) AND man-made pollution that IS affecting the entire globe. To say that humans have not made it LOTS worse is to have your collective head in the sand (and you wouldn't be alone - denial/DeNile is not just a river in Egypt). To have BILLIONS of polluting cars on the road daily is making things much worse, To say it's not is purely ignorant.

And I've read that weather on the weekend is usually worse (you'll get more rain storms/thunderstorms on the weekend) because the traffic is so heavy during the week, it collects up in the atmosphere and lets loose at the end of the week. That's what's been happening in Los Angeles for years.

In southern Wisconsin right now, fifth of January, we should have temps hovering around 0-20 degrees F. It is expected to be FIFTY (50) degrees today (was quite nice all week, all "winter"). And on my walk to the hair stylist this morning I heard a spring bird; couldn't tell who it was but I almost thought I saw a ROBIN.

In January.

In Wisconsin.

And the grass on the lawns is still partially green, some parts have CONTINUED TO GROW. Not growing so much as you'd have to cut it (if people start having to cut their grass soon, I'm getting in a bomb shelter and not ever coming out again!) but the grass didn't turn brown at the end of fall like it usually does, still lots of green.

I truly believe "the jig is up"!!! !!! !!!

Dhyan1111
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

And Janet wrote about how her cats have been going from window to window...

My friend has 9 cats. New Year's Eve she called me in a rather shaken tone. Said her cats kept going around the apt. looking outside. SHE couldn't see anything but they sure did.

WHAT ARE THE ANIMALS SENSING?

We REALLY DO have to pay attention to the animals. Look what happened prior to the 9.3 earthquake. The animals all took off before it. Animals truly sense things we cannot and if there are reports of cats in various parts of the country all anticipating something coming from outside, what gives?

Any Animal Communicators we can contact?

That would be a REALLY good idea for they can contact any living or deceased animals. I trust the Animals behavior much more than the government's!!

And now that the government has control over USGS, we can't find out from USGS when clusters happen or even maybe they'll even not let them post bigger ones or ones that we've seen ourselves ~ earthquakes that form into a circle for target practice?

Janet Rivenbark
Advanced Member

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Now the local weather is predicting severe weather tonight: Heavy rains and high winds. The cats have calmed down somewhat, but are still a little restless and a cute little black cat (female I think) has shown up on my back deck. She is cute and friendly and probably about 4 months old. Hopefully, she belongs to a neighbor. When it started to rain, she took off.
Janet

fortwynt
Intermediate Member
Username: fortwynt

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I must say, in my area (Charleston, WV), we have yet to have like ANY snow...it was a little cold for about a week, but mostly its been in the 60-70 degree range consistently....even here in the "southern" usa as some think of it, we typically have much more cold weather and/or snow by now....last year was very similar also.
"Be the change that you wish to see in the world"

--Ghandi

rebecca
Username: rebecca

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

On two separate occasions I have walked out of my house at 6:30 am and had the sense that some change was coming. The first time I got the sense after a big gust of wind suddenly came up. It was quite eery. This morning was the second time it happened. It was very cold, clear, and crisp. The moon was shining and all was "normal" except for the feeling I got. Something is coming. I don't know what it is but it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. It is creepy. I guess if I were a cat I'd be acting as weird as the ones you are describing. Another sense I get is that the wind keeps bringing messages if only we can figure out what they are.

Janet Rivenbark
Advanced Member

Post Number: 256
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I guess this was the reason everyone here was on edge yesterday. Liberty is about 250 miles south west of here, and we never actually had more than heavy rain.

STRONG STORMS SWEEP SOUTHEAST, KILLING TWO

LIBERTY, South Carolina (AP) -- Powerful storms killed at least two people, flooded streets and ripped apart homes as they swept from Louisiana through South Carolina on Friday.

Much of the worst damage was in Louisiana's Iberia Parish, where what appeared to be a tornado hit the New Iberia area just before 4 p.m. Thursday.

In northwest South Carolina, 15 people were injured when a suspected tornado piled cars on top of each other Friday afternoon outside an elementary school, officials said. (Watch residents clean up after severe weather in Louisiana )

In Alabama, several vacant mobile homes parked outside a mobile home plant in Hamilton were damaged and power lines were down, officials said. Trees were down across stretches of Georgia.

In Mississippi, nine people suffered injuries ranging from broken bones to critical head trauma early Friday when storms plowed through rural Kemper County, officials said.

There were no reports of fatalities during the storms that began late Thursday and left scattered damage in seven counties, according to the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency.

"There's more damage out here than what we initially thought," Ben Dudley, Kemper County's emergency management director, said.

"We're looking at eight to 10 homes destroyed and several with major damage," he said.

Dudley said crews were working to restore power to homes still capable of receiving the service.

Dudley said the damage in the Blackwater community "was definitely the result of a tornado. I don't know what category it was, but I do know it was a tornado."

Carnell Newton, a retired serviceman, surveyed the scene of damaged homes and smashed cars and agreed only a tornado could have done that kind of damage.

"I knew what it was, and immediately after it went over I got on my four-wheeler and started looking for people," Newton said.

One of those he found was his nephew, whose nearby mobile home had been torn from its foundation and tossed across a road.

"He didn't get a scratch," Newton told The Associated Press in a phone interview from the scene. "He was trapped by the couch and that's what saved him. The only thing we did was hug each other."

The same line of storms spawned the suspected tornado in Louisiana that killed a woman and a 6-year-old girl in their home Thursday night.

The storms reached Liberty, South Carolina, just before school was to let out.

Don Reeves was reading a book while waiting to pick up his grandson when he looked over his shoulder and saw a "twister."

Reeves told The Greenville News his car was lifted about 10 feet in the air and came crashing down. "I just thought this was it. I thought this was the end. God just looked out for us," he said.

Reeves and others helped people out of their crumpled vehicles until firefighters arrived.

"We can tell you from all evidence that it's a suspected tornado," Pickens County Sheriff's Capt. Dot Trotter said.

At least two people were taken to a Greenville hospital and one to a hospital in Easley.

Trotter's office got four emergency calls related to the weather. "They called in here screaming," she said. "It was a madhouse."

No students were injured.
Janet

Thomas

Post Number: 6315
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

BREAKING NEWS:

quote:

Avalanche buries cars, forces others off road

Rescuers are searching for survivors after a huge avalanche buried several cars and forced others off a major road in Colorado. Six people have been found alive in the snow on U.S. 40 near the 11,307-foot-high Berthoud Pass, Colorado highway officials said. "Our crews said it was the largest they have ever seen," said Stacey Stegman, of the Colorado Department of Transportation.

(Message edited by thomas_j_veil on January 06, 2007)
“Question what’s real. Question who’s real. Trust your own discernment.”

Granny
Advanced Member
Username: phar9

Post Number: 418
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 1:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Janet ...

"I have all the windows open and it is quiet, quieter than it usually is this time of year. All I hear is the breeze through the trees and the occasional crow and frogs croaking; imagine frogs in January. And my cats are patrolling the windows."

Glad I came into this thread ... Over the past two weeks, I have noticed the quiet many times and at many places. Now I live in a small town in Tenn. so it is not New York City noisy here anyway, but this quiet is creepy.

I guess I noticed it more through Christmas and just assumed that was it, but I noticed it in a grocery store parking lot ... ok ... not many cars in the lot, but that is normal when I get off at 7pm and stop at the grocery store ... so that is not it. This was the Wednesday before Christmas.

Then when I was home ... I only work a couple of afternoons a week now since mom sold the pharmacy and the shopping center ... it is strange, but I love it ... being home. Besides I can take care of mom, cook for her and kind of help her out. I never spend money anyway except for groceries and utilities ... am way over the buying stuff thing and always hated shopping. Anyway ... did not really mean to launch off.

To start again ... then when I was home the next few days .. it was just quiet outside ... it did not seem like it was any less busy in the neighborhood, but it seemed abnormally still. A couple of nights ago, we had rain and outside ... that was all you could hear ... gentle rain. It was lovely ... but still freaky.

Also.. my husband said yesterday he thought I was going deaf ... in my defense ... he was in the kitchen yaking at me while I was in the next room with the Tv on ... but he could be right ... am old enough for a definite tune-up.

It has been unseasonably warm ... ornamental pear trees are just before bursting into bloom.

As to the cats ... Fairly normal pet behavior except that they are CATS ... so no telling what they are up to. You know how cats will pick a spot and you can always find them there ... that is until they pick a new spot. (lol) Well, they have all suddenly picked new spots, been staying outside longer than normal and one cat has disappeared. Now this is an outdoor cat ... Stripe .. very special, very huge boy cat who only came home to eat and get catnip from his mommy -- me. I was the only person he would allow to touch him ... when my husband reached out toward him he would duck (typical cat move) or if hubby came into the kitchen when Stripe was eating, Strip would circle around through the dining room and slip out the cat door.

Hubby promised Stripe would be home after his New Year's Eve partying was over ... personally I think he's been picked up by the cat police ... they said they'd be out over the holidays ... checking for drunk prowlers ... just hope he didn't take one of the cars.

Isn't it obvious ... Gran has lost more than her hearing ...

P.S. Was just reading over this post ... and for me the key seems to be ... it is not that it is quiet so much as it is still.

Granny
Advanced Member

Post Number: 419
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 2:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Janet ...

Ok ... this just get more strange all the time.

"Reeves told The Greenville News his car was lifted about 10 feet in the air and came crashing down. "I just thought this was it. I thought this was the end. God just looked out for us," he said.

Reeves and others helped people out of their crumpled vehicles until firefighters arrived.

"We can tell you from all evidence that it's a suspected tornado," Pickens County Sheriff's Capt. Dot Trotter said."

There are two reasons this is interesting ...

I was born and grew up in Greenville, S. C.

Plus, growing up there we rarely had even a tornado warning ... Greenville is nestled in a ring of mountains ... or so the tourist trash says ... but it was actually true enough to break up storm systems as they passed ... I saw one funnel cloud my whole life there ... it got horizontal in the sky and flew down the road 55 miles to Abbeville and did some real damage.

Now I am really nervous ... I live in a similar, bowl shaped area in beautiful Tennessee ... horse's butt. Gonna really have to watch those darn cats closer. Their frequencies are definitely different than ours ... tapped in, they are.

Gran, who is pretty sure she was a royal cat of Egypt ... (or possibly a starving alley cat in Knoxville)

fortwynt
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 153
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 3:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

That's one reason I just LOVE living in Charleston, WV...we are in such an area that the two jet streams seem to converge and split right around us just barely skimming over our state, so most storms of any sort either go one way around us or the other...sure we have had rare instances of huge storms but not too often...i've never seen a tornado in my life and only heard about tiny "suspected tornados" just once or twice my whole life...winters are mild (especially this one) except a huge snow once about every 10 years...summers can get hot but evenings are mild, and fall there's rain but not usually ever so bad that anyone gets hurt...very mild weather here, no earthquakes (yet) no coast with which to be hit by hurricanes...ahh the safety of the mountains, although granny has me worried now with the fact that her area wasnt prone to storms...hmm

--Ghandi

Krystal Gale Potter
Username: paradox1022

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 3:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

this link was in my yahoo so I thought I'd post it. 71 degrees in albany LOL

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070107/ap_on_re_us/northeast_warmth
Until humanity recognizes paradox as a definitive, the world shall know neither balance nor truth. http://www.kgppredicts.com

Janet Rivenbark
Advanced Member

Post Number: 258
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Gran,

I think you have hit it on the nose; still was the word I was looking for. Maybe it is an atmospheric change or something. I live just off of US17 South of Wilmington, NC. It is a busy road. People take I-40 into Wilmington then get on US17 South and head for Myrtle Beach, SC, a favorite destination for Yankees and Canadians this time of year. They are starting to call themselves "Branson East." I am less than 1/2 a mile off US17 and it is a busy road, but I hardly hear the traffic sounds. The other day when the windows were open it sounded more like a summer day from my childhood (in the '50's), I could hear the drone of a small plane in the distance, and the breeze in the pines, but not much else. It was nice, but like you said, a little creepy.

I have a friend who lives in Spartanburg, SC and he said that there was very little warning about the weather the other day. He is a HAM radio operator and a member of Skywatch and they had no reports other than what the Weather Channel was putting out. But I think the tornados are getting even more unpredictable. There was one in our area before Christmas that did some very strange stuff. I drove through the area a few days after it happened and they had traffic temporarily stopped because they were moving debris. I got a chance to get a good look at the damage. It looked like it touched down in a wooded area, the trees were all twisted, it took out a brick house, no damage to the doublewide right next door, went across the road, took the roof off a cinderbolock building, a wood frame house was demolished and so was another another brick house. But there were several doublewides that had little or no damage, and the cinderblock building just lost a roof. The original reports said that 9 people were killed, but I think it turned out to be 4 and they were the ones in the two brick houses.

I think we are living in interesting times.
Janet

Etoile
Advanced Member
Username: etoile

Post Number: 283
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Rebecca,
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about regarding that vague feeling that something has changed. In fact on the 3 times in the last year which I have felt this eery sense, it was between 6:30am and 7am just as you have experienced. I remember having this feeling one morning in May, in August and just recently in Dec. I think it has to do with the sense of time speeding up.

Etoile
Advanced Member

Post Number: 284
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I live in Connecticut and yesterday we broke a temperature record... it was 71 degrees! My heather bushes are blooming and the daffodils are poking up already. Just plain strange...

Jimmy
Advanced Member

Post Number: 275
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ice blocks falling:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/01/22/1074732534083.html?from=storyrhs

Any one hav ethe link to the incident in Seattle?

They keep saying it's from plane's de-icing their wings.. I say BS.

Anyone know planes etc?

Granny
Advanced Member

Post Number: 428
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

fort ...

I am worried too. I was serious ... Greenville was an area that never used to get hit. Where I live now is the same ... except ... there is something funny about ORNL ... about 40 miles down the road.

An employee told me once that due to some sort of emissions from one of the Oak Ridge facilities, there was more chance of the "hundred year storms" and that Oak Ridge had taken "steps" to prevent that.

Wonder what that means.

Plus, since I have been consistently checking USGS (such as it is these days) I have discovered there is a fault line that runs beneath Knoxville and there have be many minor quakes ... like mini though. Still ... that is not my fav discovery of 2006.

Probably doesn't matter... they say New Madrid will reach across hundreds of miles if it blows again. More cheery news ... New Madrid is not Yellowstone.

Gran

rebecca

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Gran- you are exactly right, it is quiet. I notice that too. The times I've gone outside at 6:30am and felt the "change is coming" it was that quiet you are talking about (at first) and then the feeling overcame me (or was brought to me on the wind). There is just a quality of stillness that happens? at times. Or, maybe we're just being able to pick up on it. I know I've noticed it before but never really put a name to it.

Etoile, I just wish it would stop being just a vague feeling. I've had instances of this vague feeling since moving to California in 1990. I have never gotten more "information" than the feeling. I have asked, begged, even pleaded with the spirits and guardians but to no avail.

I grew up in Florida. We moved around a lot (had to stay one step ahead of the bill collectors) so I don't remember every place we lived. I was talking with my mom and I mentioned that I never remember a hurricane or tornado ever hitting anywhere near us. It just wasn't part of our life. She said that none ever did. She remembers one time being told to evacuate and only getting a few miles from home when they called the evacuation off. The town where my sisters still live has been hit by tornadoes during the last several years of bad storms.

Granny
Advanced Member

Post Number: 429
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Etoile ...

"I remember having this feeling one morning in May, in August and just recently in Dec. I think it has to do with the sense of time speeding up."

I have been studying the meaning of this "time speeding up" premise and I am beginning to get it.

I must admit I am certainly feeling the speed up or at least something very strange and large and cosmic ... it is almost like a silent roar inside my head ... that I am constantly tilting my head one way or the other ... hoping to hear or make sense of it. It also feel like being pulled or drawn away from Earth ... into space somehow.

Does any of this make sense?

I am still totally puzzled about time ... on a material, ticking clock basis. So if time is measured by something rotating around something or by something spinning, then I can see how the rotation could increase ... thus speeding up time ... but then there are our goofy clocks ... those mechanical tick, tick tick clocks.

My brain is old, but I can hammer information in there via my ear canal if necessary.

Does this have something to do with hyperdimensional space or quantum mechanics (picture microscopic ticking clocks) ...

Could someone please enlighten me where I have gone off the track here.

Gran ... at sea again.

Granny
Advanced Member

Post Number: 430
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Jimmy ...

"They keep saying it's from plane's de-icing their wings.. I say BS."

Very Funny! Is there anything people will not believe when told? Except of course the truth.

Total BS

Gran

fortwynt
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 179
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I find that if some "authority figure" or "media personality" says something then people automatically buy it...the argument is "why would they lie" or "what do I know, they know more than I do"

--Ghandi

Dhyan1111
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

What IS happening right now is eerily reminiscent of . . .

The Langoliers (Stephen King mini-series) ! ! !

...The passengers also make other bizarre discoveries, such as the lack of electricity in the airport as well as automobiles on the airport's tarmac, bizarre time patterns such as daylight lasting only a couple of hours before becoming night and vice versa, bizarre weather patterns such as lack of cloud movement in the presence of wind, and a strange lack of echoes.

...Searching for the cause of their plight, first Dinah, and eventually the rest, hear a strange sound, not unlike radio static, slowly approaching their location. The passengers of American Pride Flight 29 quickly find that time is their problem.

...Attempting to figure out how to escape before whatever is creating the sound arrives, Albert comes up with an idea.

Taken from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Langoliers

fortwynt
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 181
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I often wonder how many people on this board are Stephen King fans....not to take away from Striebers excellent writing skills and talent hehe, I have a feeling there are lots of King fans here too...I definitely am.

--Ghandi

Cosmic Seeker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 2:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Nothing to ski here in one of Canada's biggest resorts:

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/168483

(Message edited by mikelmn on January 08, 2007)
“Don't think about what you'll be doing next year. Think about what you'll be doing in a million years”
-Lobsang Rampa.

buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 3343
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 5:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Cosmic Seeker the grass is still green
in much of Ontario.
Qua da di

Cosmic Seeker
Advanced Member

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 5:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I think it's happening, Buddie.
Next few months will tell if it's just of those seasons or something more permanent.
-Lobsang Rampa.

gridghost
Username: gridghost

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sweden jan 8th 2007. +6 degrees Celsius and green grass. Usually it's between 10 and 15 degrees below zero this time of year... and snow... God, I miss the snow...

/gridghost

Janet Rivenbark
Advanced Member

Post Number: 259
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

A few months ago there was a discussion on Ian Punnet's version of Coast to Coast about how people were perceiving that there had been a change in the light. A lot of people called in about it, saying that it was a fact. The following week he got a lot of e-mails from professional folks like photographers and videographers who were all confirming that the quality of the light had changed in the last 20 years or so. So maybe the quality of sound has changed too.
Janet

Dhyan1111
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

This is technically not weather but it is something that is in the air.

Gas odor permeates Manhattan
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/08/ny.gas.odor.ap/index.html

What I think is TOTALLY ignorant is how city officials say:
We don't know what it is but we know it's not dangerous.

If they don't know what it is, HOW CAN THEY SAY SOMETHING IS NOT DANGEROUS??

That's as stupid as when a plane goes down. "We don't know what happened but we know it's not terrorism."

They can't say things aren't dangerous if they don't know what the gas / problem is.

rebecca
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

For more gas odor stuff, check out what I wrote on Prediction Site Thread

Etoile
Advanced Member

Post Number: 286
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Whoa... Dhyan, that is an eery reference! I remember watching the mini-series of the Langoliers.

Etoile
Advanced Member

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Rebecca, I guess we'll all have to rely on our intuition to guide us thru whatever is coming. So many odd things happening with the way the animals are acting, the weather weirdness etc. Did you notice a particularly red sky last week at the time of the Full Moon? There is also a very bright comet in the sky near to Venus which can be seen with binoculars. Scientists are saying that the comet may be incredibly bright around Jan. 13 after it emerges from an orbit which will bring it very, very close to the Sun.

Granny, I think the changes in the fabric of time may be the reason all of Nature is acting abnormally lately. It isn't just El Nino as the forecasters are saying. I think that the increase in activity of the Sun and cosmic rays are affecting the entire Solar System and that it will only increase over the next 5 years. We are just beginning to feel and see the effects.