Archive through December 17, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Superstorm / Climate Change » Earthquake/Volcano thread » Archive through December 17, 2006 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

anna
Advanced Member
Username: anna

Post Number: 407
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 3:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Powerful Magnitude 7.2 Earthquake Hits Near South Pole
Sunday, August 20, 2006

TOKYO — A powerful earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.2 hit near the South Pole, Japan's weather agency said Sunday.

The temblor hit at around 0341 GMT, Japan's Meteorological Agency reported. The agency did not indicate the quake's depth.

The agency, which said it received magnitude data from the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, said the quake was centered in waters in the Scotia Sea.

The Scotia Sea lies between Antarctica and South America.

The quake's magnitude is sufficient to produce a tsunami in shallow waters, the agency said. It added that the quake posed no tsunami threat to Japan.

Etoile
Advanced Member
Username: etoile

Post Number: 238
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Interesting look to the USGS today... a 6.4mag off of Kamchatka and a 6.4 in Argentina. Connect the dots and you get a straight diagonal line between them.

anna
Advanced Member

Post Number: 412
Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mayon volcano spews ash columns after one-week lull
By MADEL R. SABATER

Mayon Volcano ended its one-week lull yesterday by spewing ash columns as high as 500 meters as volcanologists foresee increased activities of the restless volcano in the coming days.

The volcano’s series of eruptions have displaced at least 40,000 residents in Albay province and they are now housed in government evacuation centers. Local and international relief agencies have provided funds and relief goods for the evacuees.

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) recorded an "ash puff" Monday at 6:25 a.m. and was followed by four more ash explosions at 2:58 p.m., 4:56 p.m. and 5:48 p.m. and at 12:28 a.m. yesterday.

"The series of small explosions for the past 24hour observation indicated that Mayon is exhibiting a slight increase in activity," Phivolcs said.

The Department of Science and Technology (DoST), meanwhile, said that the volume of lava spewed by the volcano was estimated at 52 million cubic meters as of yesterday.

Lava flows were "mostly channeled" to the Miisi and Buyoan gullies.

Phivolcs also said that earthquakes, tremor episodes and sulfur dioxide flux at 3,364 tonnes per day remained significantly high.

At alert level 4, Mayon remains ripe for a hazardous explosion.

"All existing danger zones (eight kms in the southeast sector and seven kms in other areas around the volcano) should be considered as very high-risk areas and should remain off-limits until further notice," Phivolcs said.

Famous for its near-perfect cone, Mayon has been attracting local and international tourists.

Hale
Intermediate Member
Username: hale

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

When the cauldera (sp?) at Yellowstone goes, watch out! Apparently the dome (underground) is now filling with magma again, a very long cycle event. Areas that were underwater have been rising lately. Last it happened its effects could be seen into Nebraska. The dome fills pretty much the whole park area, and the ejecta is thought to go very high into the atmosphere. Very few objects like this on the earth, and they erupt with far greater force than most volcanos. Thing is, while we are due for another event, it could easily happen in another 100 years as the dome slowly fills.

anna
Advanced Member

Post Number: 413
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well it's going, going, gone.........

50,000 Villagers Forced To Evacuate As Mayon Volcano Spew Ash And Gas
August 31, 2006 1:13 p.m. EST

Legazpi City, Philippines (AHN) - Gov. Fernando Gonzales of Albay province in the Philippines has ordered the forced evacuation of some 50,000 villagers from the 8-km danger zone on the southeast sector of Mount Mayon after the volcano spewed clouds of ash, indicative of an imminent major eruption.

In an interview with AHN, Fernandez said his office has already made contingency plans to evacuate the additional villagers after government volcanologists informed him the volcano still poses serious threats despite showing some lull in its volcanic activities the past days.

He said, "The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology has not yet lifted the level 4 alert for the Mayon volcano. That means an eruption is imminent anytime. Let us not be deceived by the 'relative calm' the volcano has been showing the past few days because I can assure you, the threat of an eruption still exists and I will not risk the lives of my constituents."

A tour made by this writer in some of the evacuation centers indicates that operations in the shelters were organized with the police keeping a close eye on the evacuees. So far, there has been no report of a serious epidemic except for the occasional colds and flu.

He said the "mood" of Mayon has changed considerably during its last eruption. One of the country's 22 active volcanoes, Mayon has had a violent history of 47 eruptions since 1616. Its worst eruption buried Cagsawa town and killed 1,200 people in 1814. A 1993 eruption killed 77 farmers.

In the past, Mayon erupted every 10 years and the smaller tremors and activity lasted several days before a major eruption. But Gonzales said the volcano now erupts four years after its last eruption and continues to blast ash clouds and lava for several days.

He said the local government is trying to provide the needs of those displaced and who are now housed in temporary shelters, but he admits the province's resources were now slowly being depleted because some of the people in the evacuation centers do not really need to be evacuated.

"There are some people in the evacuation centers which we believe will not be affected when there is a major eruption. These people are mainly those living outside the 8-km extended danger zone and particularly those not within the southeastern slope.

"But what can we do, they say they were frightened by the constant rumbling of the volcano so we have to take them in. The only problem is, they are stretching our already stretched out resources," he said.

Disaster teams have deployed 80 trucks aside from those provided by the military, the police and private groups to ferry more evacuees.

Contingency plans adopted by the government included being prepared for bad weather, which could change the direction of the lava flow, said Cedric Daep, head of the Albay Public Safety and Emergency Management Office.

anna
Advanced Member

Post Number: 417
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Indonesia raises alert level at smoking Mount Bromo volcano

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP): Indonesia has raised the alert level at a smoking volcano on Java island, and is urging villagers and tourists to stay off the mountain's slopes, the government said Wednesday.

Mount Bromo typically erupts once a year, but it does not send debris or lava far down its slopes and nearby towns and villages were in no danger, government volcanologist Suryono told el-Shinta radio station.

Bromo was placed at the second-highest alert level on Tuesday, meaning an eruption may occur within one or two weeks, said Suryono, who goes by a single name.

"The mountain is showing signs of mischief and the smell of sulfur is very strong,'' said Suryono, urging hikers and villagers not to visit the crater. "It never erupts dramatically, but the danger here is people get very close to the crate,'' he said. The 2,329-meter-high (7,641-foot-high) mountain is one of Java's most popular tourist attractions.

Villagers often trek to the crater to leave offerings at the peak.

Indonesia, the world's largest archipelago, is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the so-called Pacific "Ring of Fire,'' an arc of volcanos and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.

Alert level 4 remains hoisted over Mayon--Phivolcs
Last updated 06:23pm (Mla time) 09/06/2006

LEGAZPI CITY -- Mayon Volcano's activity showed a reduction in the likelihood of a major hazardous eruption, volcanologists said Wednesday morning, citing data from various monitoring networks.

However, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) maintained alert level 4 of the five-step warning system as the likelihood of ash explosions and lava dome collapse remained high.

During the past 24-hour observation period, Mayon Volcano's seismic network detected 13 volcanic earthquakes and 295 tremor episodes while the sulfur dioxide emission rate was measured at 2,032 tons per day.

Lava continued to ooze out of the summit crater but the rate and volume of extrusion apparently decreased during the past three days, added Phivolcs.

Alert level 4, to mean a heightened level of unrest, was raised over Mayon on August 7 while at least 30,000 persons from 24 affected villages within the eight-kilometer extended danger zone have been housed in 24 evacuation centers for a month now.

Sept.5, 06
Fourth earthquake in week hits, this time off Big Island

A 3.3-magnitude earthquake shook the ocean floor off Waikoloa yesterday evening, the fourth temblor of 3.0 or more to strike the state in a week's time.

Big Island police had no reports of damage or injuries from the minor quake, which occurred at 5:27 p.m., according to the U.S. Geological Survey's Web site. The epicenter was 13 miles west-southwest of Waikoloa at a depth of about seven miles.

Hawai'i is among the top states when it comes to seismic activity, ranking behind Alaska and California in a U.S. Geological Survey count of earthquakes with a magnitude of 3.5 or greater between 1974 and 2003. Many of the quakes are linked to Hawai'i's volcanic activity, said Robert Cessaro, a senior geophysicist with the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in 'Ewa Beach. He said the state has many minor quakes, which don't represent a tsunami threat.

"Earthquakes of magnitude 3 or so are pretty common," he said.

A quake fitting into this category occurred the evening of Aug. 28, when a 3.8-magnitude quake rattled windows on O'ahu and was felt on Moloka'i. That quake was 26 miles east-northeast of Waimanalo.

Two other quakes struck on Aug. 31 on or near the Big Island. A 3.1 temblor was recorded at 1:04 p.m. that day about 18 miles north of Pahala. It was followed by a 3.2 that was 30 miles offshore of Hilo at 8:38 p.m.

Other recent quakes in Hawai'i included a 4.5-magnitude quake that happened on July 27 off the Big Island and was felt as far away as Kaua'i.

anna
Advanced Member

Post Number: 418
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 8:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

India, Assam Govt. sounds earthquake alert
Guwahati, Sept. 7 (PTI): The Assam Government today sounded an alert instructing all district headquarters to be prepared to deal with any eventuality in case of an earthquake in the state tomorrow as "predicted" by a noted geologist.

Official sources told PTI that Deputy Commissioners have been directed to take measures under the Disaster Management Risk Programme in case of any eventuality and to put personnel involved in these measures on alert for the next few days.

The Centre has been informed about the "prediction" made by noted geologist Prof N Venkatanathan of the Department of Applied Geology of the University of Madras that there was 70 per cent chance of an earthquake of magnitude 7 to 8 on the Richter scale to hit the state tomorrow.

Chief Secretary S Kabilan has convened a meeting this evening on disaster management to chalk out a strategy in case an earthquake hits the state.

The government also appealed to the people not to panic but to be calm in case of an earthquake and assured that all essential services, rescue teams as also the state electricity board were prepared to deal with any situation.

According to reports, quoting Venkatanathan and posted on various websites last night, the epicentre of the earthquake is predicted to be about 15 km southwest of Dibrugarh in upper Assam and is slated to occur at around 8.21 am.

Venkatanathan, who is a board member of the Britain-based International Society for Earthquake Predictions, has been making predictions using Geo-astrophysical calculations that he developed as part of his PhD thesis.

Some seismologists have, however, debunked his theory.

Dhyan1111
Username: dhyan1111

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/usslav.php

5.8 Gulf of Mexico

thunderchicken
Username: thunderchicken

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I live in Southwest Florida and we felt this earthquake this morning!! We just moved here a year ago and I knew we should be concerned about hurricanes but earthquakes!!!???!!!

thunderchicken

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

They just updated the magnitude to a 6.0.

susi t learn
Username: etsi

Post Number: 3103
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

thunderchicken

i'm not sure where rotunda west is...what are you near? i just called my daughter in sarasota to see if she felt it but she said no. it makes me nervous because i have a recurring dream that i'm on the bridge in key west trying to get to the mainland of florida and the bridge is about 1-2 feet under water. from a tsunami? and my ex has recurring dreams about florida being underwater.

thunderchicken

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Susi,
The USGS earthquake site (www.usgs.gov) said that the earthquake was too small to generate a tsunami. We are about 1 hour southwest of Sarasota and 30 minutes southwest of Venice. The nearest town to is Englewood (about 5 minutes northwest). We just got back from shopping in Englewood and alot of people didn't feel a thing. We definitely did - you knew it was either an earthquake or an explosion. Your dream has me worried though because all the global warming predictions show Florida under water. We just moved here a year ago. Maybe it's time to move back to New England!!

thunderchicken

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

On the USGS site - I looked at the historical data for the Gulf of Mexico and it appears that earthquakes are pretty rare here. I'm wondering if it means maybe the New Madrid Fault is getting ready for one.

susi t learn

Post Number: 3108
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

thunderchicken

i get alot of 'stuff' in dreams. i believe though that they're only showing me what 'might' happen. nothing is set in concrete.

having said that, this is the first recurring dream i've had. that's the thing that bothers me.

quakes are rare there but you never know what mother earth is going to do.

i keep trying to get my daughter and grandkids to come to arizona. timing.

ok, now i know where you are. i lived in sarasota and for a brief time in venice.

susi t learn

Post Number: 3109
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i had to look up the new madrid fault...couldn't remember exactly where it was. i remember techumsa prophecised the mississippi would flow backwards and the bad quake of the 1800's.

but i am also trying to remember a more recent prophecy that says it will happen again...sun bear?

i'm trying to figure out if that happens how it would impact florida.

Regina
Advanced Member
Username: rchante

Post Number: 485
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Did you see the news about the 6.0 eartquake in the Gulf? That's kinda weird. That seemed man-made.
"The shortest distance between two points is an intention."
Dr. John E. Upledger

susi t learn

Post Number: 3111
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

when??

thunderchicken

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I wonder if the New Madrid fault had a major earthquake if that would cause tsunami's in the gulf of mexico? We moved here to be closer to my husbands parents (who are getting on in years) so I guess we're stuck here for now. Although our niece and nephew are in Tucson so maybe all of us will move out there. The big move was leaving New ENgland so anything else will be a piece of cake - LOL!!!

susi t learn

Post Number: 3112
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

hey! I'M in tucson! :-)

Regina
Advanced Member

Post Number: 487
Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Susi, it's in the UC news. I think it was roughly 6 a.m. PDT, but wait. You're not in PDT, are you? Well, anyway, it was this morning.

try this URL: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/
If you keep clicking on the big, blue square in the Gulf the site will eventually give you all the stats on that quake.
Dr. John E. Upledger

susi t learn

Post Number: 3126
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 5:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

i was just talking with my sister about the earthquake. she lives on the west coast of florida. she said about a week before they were drilling very deeply for oil.

??????????????????????????

anyone believe in coinkydinks?

they were also drilling in the area before the indonesian tsunami.

Regina
Advanced Member

Post Number: 494
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Coinkydink? That just really FELT like a human-made (or perhaps instigated) quake as soon as i saw the USGS site. I didn't know people had been drilling previously in those areas. Hmmmm...

I'm tellin' ya, we can't get that free-energy stuff soon enough!
Dr. John E. Upledger

Krystal Gale Potter
Username: paradox1022

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 5:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I really don't know where to put this, it doesn't really warrant a thread of it's own, but thought it interesting so I'll put it here.

Electric Ice

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/13sep_electricice.htm
Until humanity recognizes paradox as a definitive, the world shall know neither balance nor truth. http://www.kgppredicts.com

Dhyan1111

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Seems as though the week of September 18 saw a lot of volcanic activity (from SVE volcano page):

http://www.sveurop.org/gb/news/news.htm

Ecuador TUNGURAHUA
West Indies MONTSERRAT
Mexico POPOCATEPETL
Mexico COLIMA
Guatemala FUEGO
Guatemala SANTA MARIA
Guatemala PACAYA
Hawaii KILAUEA
Alaska FOUR PEAKED *not monitored but "unusual plume" seen
Italy ETNA
Phillipines MAYON
Russia KAMTCHATKA unrest continues

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The volcanoes mentioned have been spewing for months now. It just looks worse when you see them all grouped together on a page. But, it's still pretty bad, and I think indicative of something else happening in the earth. I found a pretty good article the other day...maybe I saved it somewhere. I'll have to look for it.
Until humanity recognizes paradox as a definitive, the world shall know neither balance nor truth. http://www.kgppredicts.com

Chr15t05
Advanced Member
Username: chr15t05

Post Number: 389
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

No End in Sight for Indonesia's Mud Volcano
By Chris Brummitt, AP
Sep 29, 2006, 03:54

PORONG, Indonesia – Factories that once produced watches and shoes lie under a sea of thick, stinking mud. Villagers stand on hastily constructed dams and gaze at the thousands of homes swallowed by brown sludge.

Four months ago, a torrent of hot mud from deep beneath the surface of Indonesia's seismically charged Java island began surging from a natural gas exploration site following a drilling accident.

The “mud volcano” pours out some 165,000 cubic yards of mud every day – enough to cover a football field about 75 feet deep. Often spewing out in geyser-like eruptions, the mud has left some 665 acres swamped or abandoned as unsafe, forcing more than 10,000 people from their homes.

Experts say the mud volcano is one of the largest ever recorded on land. Geologists fear the technology may not exist to stop the eruption, saying mud could flow for years or even centuries – or stop on its own at any time.

The mud is believed to come from a reservoir 3½ miles below the surface that has been pressurized by shifts in the crust or by the accumulation of hydrocarbon gases.

The calamity has underscored the patchy safety record of mining companies exploiting the natural resources of this Southeast Asian nation made up of thousands of islands.

Police seized the drilling rig involved in the accident and are investigating whether to bring criminal charges against the principal well owner, PT Lapindo Brantas.

Lapindo, which is linked to the wealthy family of Indonesia's welfare minister, is paying for an ever expanding network of earthen dams to contain the mud, but many people fear the resulting slimy ponds will overflow during the approaching rainy season.

“The volume of mud that is coming out of the hole is not just large, it's enormous,” Earl Hunt Jr., an engineer from Woodward, Okla., said while supervising dredging operations.

“We are running out of room up here, period,” he said. “If they don't pump it to sea or something soon, then there will be more villages lost.”

The government recently gave permission to dump the mud into the sea via a local river. But experts question whether that will get rid of the sludge faster than it gushes from the hole, and environmentalists are opposing the plan as a threat to the marine ecosystem.

The mud, which stands as deep as 16 feet in places, has submerged or washed into houses in four villages. At least 20 factories and many acres of rice fields and prawn farms have been destroyed.

The sludge has repeatedly washed over a major road, closing it for weeks at a time, and now it is threatening a rail line in the industrial area just outside Surabaya, Indonesia's second-largest city.

The mud, which is not toxic, first appeared several days after a blowout deep in Lapindo's well shaft May 29.

Police claim the company mishandled the accident by failing to cap the hole properly, allowing the mud to surge to the surface from several cracks close to the well.

Independent analysts also have said the company's activities were a factor in the torrent.

“This is a natural disaster induced by drilling activity,” said Andang Bactiar, a consultant for the oil and gas industry who is working with authorities investigating the case. “Somehow, or somewhere, several mistakes occurred that caused the mud to come from the hole.”

The company declined to give its version of what happened or the steps it took to stem the mud, citing possible legal liability. But spokeswoman Yuniwati Teryana said drilling activity had not been proven to be linked to the eruption.

The well is 50 percent owned by Lapindo. Another Indonesian firm, PT Medco E&P Brantas, has a 32 percent stake and Santos Ltd. of Australia holds the remaining 18 percent.

Lapindo has made emergency payments to those who have lost homes and promises to compensate their losses.

But in a country where mistrust of government runs high after decades of dictatorship that ended only in 1998, many people fear the company will try to dodge its responsibilities. The involvement of Welfare Minister Aburizal Bakrie's family in Lapindo has only added to worries.

“We are just poor people, our rights will be torn up as usual,” one resident, Sukararji, said as he stood on a dam gazing at mud that reaches the second-floor windows of his house. “We are being stepped on like ants.”

After two unsuccessful attempts to stop the flow, Lapindo is digging three shafts alongside the hole, hoping to kill the eruption by pumping in concrete.

Experts are skeptical that will work.

“If they manage to stop it, it will be the first time in the world that it has been done,” said geologist Arif Munsyawar.
"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true."

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

makes you wonder if that previously pressurized mud displacement will cause the plates to adjust themselves ? That area is so messed up as it is... yikes. I can't even think what a big quake in the middle of a newly hatched mud bog would be like...

Chr15t05
Advanced Member

Post Number: 395
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Scientists: St. Helens Eruption Slowing
By Associated Press
Sep 30, 2006, 06:26

Two years after Mount St. Helens began its low-key eruption, a process that has extruded tons of rock into the crater left by the volcano's deadly 1980 blast, scientists say the mountain seems to be slowing down.

But they're making no predictions about when the activity will end.

"Volcanoes throw you a lot of curve balls. I've been humbled enough not to call the pitch till it's over the plate," said Cynthia Gardner, scientist in charge at the Cascades Volcano Observatory, a U.S. Geological Survey facility about 50 miles from Vancouver, Wash., and 150 miles south of Seattle.

The southwest Washington mountain is going through another "dome-building" phase within its crater.

The volcano's May 18, 1980, eruption killed 57 people, sent superheated mud down the Toutle River Valley, flattened forests for miles and spewed ash across the state and, eventually, around the globe. It also reduced the 9,677-foot mountain to 8,363 feet, and replaced its symmetrical, snow-covered cone with a gaping crater.

The blast was followed by a period of dome building that ended in 1986.

The current flow of magma began in October 2004 after weeks of low-level seismic activity. For the first year it averaged more than 3 cubic yards, about two big pickup truck loads, per second, Gardner said. The extruded rock has been piling up brittle new structures, which then collapse onto the crater floor and form the foundation for the next gush of lava.

Since October 2005, the extrusion rate has slowed to less than 1.3 cubic yards per second, Gardner said. Since April, "we're in the half-cubic-yard range," she said.

But confirming a trend "takes a long time, because a lot of these are very small changes," she said.

Seismic readings, which had ranged above magnitude 3, have also dropped over the past year, Gardner said. The rate of deformation - the swelling or shrinking of the volcano's flanks - also has slowed, but in very small amounts, she said.

"We're not seeing anything ... that tells us we're in store for a change in eruptive style in the near future," she said. "Right now it looks like we'll be continuing with fairly benign rock extrusion and rockfalls that can send ash over the crater rim."

There's no telling when, or if, the activity could ratchet up again. "A lull's OK, as long as it's not another 18 years. I don't have that much time left in my career," Gardner said.

The current eruptive phase followed 18 years of silence.

A drumfire of seismic rumblings began on Sept. 23, 2004. A plume of ash and steam on Oct. 1, 2004, confirmed that an eruption was under way. Magma appeared in the crater 10 days later.

The Johnston Ridge Observatory about five miles from the peak was closed Oct, 2, 2004, due to safety concerns. It reopened the following May 6.

This summer, a hiking trail to the edge of the crater was reopened by the U.S. Forest Service.

"This is a great opportunity. I think people need to understand that this is so rare, that you can actually go up and see something like this - even for scientists," Gardner said.

Mount St. Helens, the youngest and most active of the Cascade Range volcanos, has a history of leveling and rebuilding itself. Scientists say the mountain that stood before 1980 was just 4,000 years old - the blink of an eye in geologic time.

There had been eruptions in the St. Helens area for hundreds of thousands of years, but for centuries they only produced small lava domes.
"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true."

Dhyan1111

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 1:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Maine Quake Causes Dramatic Drop in Well Water Level

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20061003/sc_space/mainequakecausesdramaticdropinwe llwaterlevel

Note: it says the water level continues to drop.

susi t learn

Post Number: 3580
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

saw a 4.6 in washington yesterday...anyone know if it was near any volcanos?

susi t learn

Post Number: 3584
Posted on Sunday, October 08, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

A volcano that will devastate the Seattle area is foretold is an ancient prophecy from Washington State's Puyallup tribe, which says, "The time will come when Little Sister will speak, and Grandfather will answer. And the land will be swept clean to the ocean." Sun Bear explained that Donald Matheson, a leader of the Puyallup tribe, moved his people to Idaho in 1979 because he believed it was time for this prophecy to be fulfilled. In March 1980, the mountain that we call little sister began to whisper. May 18th of 1980, the Little Sister spoke with a cubic mile of mountain that was spread over the northwest area, and many other parts of the world... "The Little Sister is called Mount St. Helens. Soon, the Grandfather is going to answer so much bigger. That one is called Mt. Rainier."

there was a 4.6 under mt ranier yesterday.

L. A. B.
Username: leathab

Post Number: 2386
Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

4.2 generated by North Korea
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1816130,00050004.htm

Chr15t05
Advanced Member

Post Number: 410
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

This article says there was only one quake, but according to IRIS there were at least two:

Hawaii Hit by 6.6 Magnitude Quake, Scientists Say (Update6)

By Peter Young and Kevin Orland

Oct. 15 (Bloomberg) -- An earthquake with a magnitude of 6.6 struck the largest of the Hawaiian Islands today, the U.S. Geological Survey said. No fatalities were immediately reported.

The quake occurred at 7:07 a.m. local time and was centered six miles (10 kilometers) southwest of Puako, according to the agency's Web site. The community is on the west coast of the island of Hawaii, known as the Big Island. It was earlier estimated at magnitude 6.3.

Kona Community Hospital was evacuated because of structural damage, said Ed Teixiera, vice director of Hawaii State Civil Defense, in an interview on KITV-TV in Honolulu. Honolulu International Airport on Oahu is closed to outgoing flights because of power outages caused by the earthquake, KITV said.

``Thankfully, we have no reports of any significant damage on Oahu yet,'' said John Cummings, public information officer for the Civil Defense Agency's Oahu office.

About 90 percent of Oahu, the state's most populous island is without power, Cummins said. Oahu is about 150 miles northwest of the earthquake's center.

A 5.8-magnitude aftershock hit seven minutes after the earthquake, the USGS said. Nine shocks of 3.1 to 4.2 on the Richter scale were reported in the next three and a half hours. Values on the scale, an expression of energy released by the quake, are typically between 1 and 9.

No Tsunami

``No tsunami is expected,'' the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Ewa Beach, Hawaii, said in a bulletin. ``However, many areas may have experienced strong shaking.''

Earthquakes are not uncommon in Hawaii, and strong quakes in the past have destroyed buildings and disrupted utilities, according to the USGS Web site.

A 1975 quake of magnitude 7.2, centered on the south side of Kilauea, one of the Big Island's active volcanoes, caused a tsunami that killed two people, destroyed houses and sank fishing boats, the geological survey said.

Chr15t05
Advanced Member

Post Number: 414
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yellowstone Hit With Swarm of Over 70 Quakes
Earth Changes Media, Oct 25, 2006

News is just coming out indicating a series of more than 70 small earthquakes hit the Yellowstone Volcanic Caldera on October 14th. Is it just a coincidence that one day later the very unusual 6.8 quake hit Hawaii?

In Saturday's October 14th 'swarm', the largest of these small quakes registered 2.4 magnitude. But as you will see listed at the USGS sponsored University of Utah Seismograph Center, the 'swarm' of quakes hitting in-and-around Yellowstone caldera have not let up.

Utah Seismograph Center: http://www.seis.utah.edu/req2webdir/recenteqs/Quakes/quakes0.html

Yellowstone Caldera: http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/Yellowstone/description_yellowstone.html

The October 14th swarm lasted several hours, according to the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory. Henry Heasler, Yellowstone's principal geologist reminds us Yellowstone has seen swarms before, as in April 2004 when more than 400 earthquakes were recorded over three days.

On the very next day we witnessed a very unusual and large quake hitting Hawaii's Big Island. And guess what the headline read? "Hawaii Quake Blamed on Volcanic Stress". Full Article: http://www.earthchangestv.com/secure/2005/article_15394.php

Are volcanoes connected in a more intimate manner than most geologist and volcanologist suggest? Does the "ring-of-fire" have more of a "single pulse" than current science understands? Could this be a uncanny example of what our Mayan and other elders mean when they suggest what I have customized to say "what we experience 'externally' - will mirror what we experience 'internally'. There is no doubt the signs of change are among us. The question is---will we listen?

Dhyan1111

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Has anyone been watching the southern CA area the past few days? There has been an increase in activity there.

Hopefully it's just a short lived swarm. Have relatives in L.A.

rebecca
Username: rebecca

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Stan Deyo reported on his site about these quakes. Said there were a lot of quakes going on in unusual areas. That is what struck me- the "unusual areas" thing.

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 3:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

http://www.volcanolive.com/volcanolive.html

New Island formed in Tonga

Dhyan1111

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Why do you suppose this recent earthquake swarm (which includes the 8.1) in the Kuril Islands is in a circular pattern?

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Maps/10/155_45.php

It was like that yesterday and I checked again now and there it is; wonder what is in the center of this area?

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well, IF the topography is correct on that map...and I'll cross check it here in a minute if I can.. that ridge could be volcanic..perhaps it's a cauldera.

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

K I cross referenced and..take your pick. It's a big subduction zone, very active WITH submarine volcanoes in the area. Could be an existing cauldera, or perhaps same thing as Sumatra..the plate opened up to form a new volcano at that spot. I've got an inverted ocean map..topo of the the ocean floor... made by some dude named Earl Bateman III..let's hope he's a geologist or oceanographer or something.

Dhyan1111

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Thanks Krystal!

If it's a submarine volcano...
wouldn't a volcano blow right in it's center or close to it, though? Not ALL around it's circumference or am I just "geologically impaired" and way off?

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's a really cool map by the way..it Glows in the Dark ! Perfect for those 3 a.m. urges to look at the ocean floor I know we all get !

No Dhyan, I think the magma chamber in that area would be pretty close to straight. The subduction zones are the deepest areas on the planet. The quakes would be around the cauldera I believe as the main magma chamber really has nothing solid to jolt. IF this is the case it would be a pretty decent sized chamber from the looks of it.

Dhyan1111

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

From Wikipedia, I find this interesting about "Kuril Islands":
The name Kuril originates from the autonym of the aboriginal Ainu: "kur", meaning man.

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

By the way..thanks for pointing that out..very interesting. I'dda never caught it. I'm... PO'd at the earthquake so I'm ignoring it. lmao.. it put me through hell physically. Now that Dave is not here, these earth incidents are a bit more disconcerting.

Dhyan1111

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Krystal, not to change the subject but I'd feel much better if you'd have a "Lifeline" type emergency bracelet to phone. Know what I'm talking about? To live alone with medical conditions such as yours is kinda dangerous.

Just doin' my Mothering thing. :-) Even though I'm only a few years older than you...

But what plans have you made in that "one horse town" in case you need some help fast? Dave is going to be gone for months, correct?

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Oh ..I almost called an ambulance this time. BUT... think about it. What do I say Dhyan ? Hey I'm having earth pains ? LOL Worse, not say anything..let them drive me to the hospital where they will see sporadic symptoms that don't match any diagnosis..and then the symptoms will stop..they will say I'm a hypochondriac, or I ahve Munchasen syndrome..even after they record changes in blood pressure etc... since they can't figure it out they have to justify it somehow..then medicaid does'nt pay for it and i'm screwed. I'm allergic to about any drug they can give me anyway. It took years to find the 4 I'm on. I have several of these incidents per year (now)..all different but equally severe. I can't call the ambulance every time a volcano erupts or there is a big quake. Not to mention ..to get to me I'd have to be strong enough to drag my dog barking and growling into the laundry room so she would'nt kill them.

There is not one person in this town that will even talk to me unless I'm buying something. I'm sociaphobic and hardly ever leave the house except like..3 a.m. to walk the dog when I can. I dye my hair funky colors at times. I was'nt born here. According to the town..I'm a "witch" "that gypsy woman" etc... I don't think they know any words that are worse than those. hee hee These people would love nothing more than to see me die so they could sleep peacefully at night knowing that I'm in hell where I belong.

I be 'aight. It's only another 6 months. I'm more ticked than I am scared. I'm..just getting tired of my life being dictated by fault lines. It's getting worse every year. Just not the kind of future you look forward to ya know ?

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm going to post this here too.

http://www.halfpasthuman.com/HPHALTA_907PRA_warn.htm

susi t learn

Post Number: 4530
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

boy, there was alot of earthquake activity yesterday around the ring of fire, especially the kuril region. it seems to be building there...i hope that won't cause a tsunami to our pacific coast. were there any astronomical anomolies that may have triggered it?

Dhyan1111
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Censoring the USGS

The garbage bush administration must be anticipating something in the near future. Whatever other purpose would there be in censoring the earthquake site? They want to control people seeing the numerous eq's; most frequent eq's or something in the near future. This HAS GOT TO BE STOPPED.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1152AP_Bush_Scientists.html?source=mypi

It's a good thing that seasoned researchers like those on this board know not to use only one website for things like this anyhow and the European eq site has had better, more current information all along anyhow.

It just shows how the cabal is grabbing at straws.

They are failing and trying to hold on.

But it won't work ~ the cabal is taking their last disgusting gasps. Good riddence to BAD rubbish.

So may it ever be.

Granny
Advanced Member
Username: phar9

Post Number: 368
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

This is exactly what I was asking about a couple of weeks ago.

The site has changed dramatically and the maps I am used to accessing are no longer available.

Are they just trying to irritate us?

Sharp stick in the eye?

Gran