Archive through October 22, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Superstorm / Climate Change » Post Your Weird Weather Here » Archive through October 22, 2006 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

slw
Advanced Member
Username: slw

Post Number: 420
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We're in a horrible drought here. It only rained once during July and probably less than a quarter of an inch then. We're under water restrictions, can only water outside on even days, during early morning and late evening, and then only by hand, no sprinklers. The temp has been 100+ for the past couple of weeks, with the low around 80 early in the morning. The a/c never stops running.

If this keeps up, I can see us having restricted electricity like we do with the water. I told my husband this awful thought today and he said he'd thought of the same thing. I hate to sound so pessimistic but it can happen.

This will be my last year to try to have a flower garden. Everything is dying including the grass. The poor animals and birds are sweltering. We try to keep them watered as best we can.

Hi, Krystal! Glad you're back.

Granny
Advanced Member
Username: phar9

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Just wondering ....

Anyone remember the drought in the Mid - 1970s in Calif ... I was living in San Francisco at the time and we had water rationing. No outside watering, no car washing (I loved that one) and then they finally began to ration toilet flushes.

Toilet Slogan was:

"If its YELLOW, let it mellow,
If its BROWN, flush it down"

I ran my spin cycle and rinse water from the washing machine into a tub and watered my plants from that. People had plastic tubs in the shower to catch water.

The toilet flushing allowances and total household water were based on past usage ... only reason mine was ok was because I had planted a garden and was watering it in the evenings ... (very small and did not work at all) ...

I learned to stop running water while brushing teeth and stop running water while washing dishes. We waste sooooo much water we never think about ... because of our abundance of clean water, but after the experience in Calif and while moving home, I remember seeing a water fountain at a rest stop that ran continuous and I was shocked to see all that water being wasted.

That was thirty years ago now and I have migrated back to my bad habits ... but it was potentially good training for the future.

I do have to admit enjoying San Francisco without the normal rainy season.

Gran

Janet Rivenbark
Intermediate Member
Username: janetgr

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

"If its YELLOW, let it mellow,
If its BROWN, flush it down"

I remember hearing that. I was active duty in the Air Force back then and was on a Temporary Duty Assignment to Edwards AFB, CA, for 6 weeks. Coming from the wet, semi-tropical south, I really learned a lot about saving water. I learned to take short showers, how to wash my hair (which was quite long at the beginning of the trip) in very little water. Before I went home I wound up cutting it all off, because I had to drive though the desert, on a dirt road in a truck with no air conditioner to get to work every day.

We have a private well here. The water has never been great, we have always had to have a conditioner and filtration, but lately, the last few years the water has been getting worse, a lot of sulfer, especially when the weather is hot. The well is not deep, but is below a level of limestone. The county says that it is a running aquifer and that we are not in danger of it going dry, but sometimes I wonder.
Janet

BELIEVE--things happen for a reason!

Granny
Advanced Member

Post Number: 209
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 1:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Janet ... that is scary about the water ... ours is county water and it is near unbearable.

My son has well water and he is fairly close by. We fill bottles from his well ... but there seems no escape to what toxins re in the air and water and food.

I keep hoping that old yarn is true .. "what does not kill us makes us stronger."

Gran

Janet Rivenbark
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 1:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Gran,
We have had the water tested, both by the county and a private company; we do it very year or so, and they say that there aren't any toxins in it, just a lot of limestone, iron and sulfur. And strangely enough the natural fluoride levels in this area are quite high. They did say that the high levels of sulfur aren't really good for you and it was suggested that we use filters, which we do.

We are moving in a few months and the area we are moving to does not have county water yet either, but should in about a year. We will probably still use filters because I don't like the chemical smell of the county water.

We have a water conditioner and filters in the pump house plus the water dispenser on the 'fridge has a filter and I have a hot water dispenser on the sink that has a filter. Once it has gone through all those filters, it tastes good and has tested good.
Janet

Janet Rivenbark
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I just came back from the supermarket and I am soaked. Officially our temperature is 95, with 52% humidity and a heat index of 107, but the thermometer on my car was reading 101 as I pulled into the driveway so that would put the heat index at well over 110. It is miserable out there. To add to the misery, we have smog. We hardly ever have smog. The last time I remember the smog being quite this bad was the year there was a large forest fire north of Wilmington, NC (I live south of Wilmington). It is making my eyes burn and it is like breathing syrup. I don't have asthma, but I feel like I do.
Janet

j
Intermediate Member
Username: observer

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I was looking at some world weather temperatures and in Bahgdad the forecast is for a high of 51 celcius (123 fahrenheit) this saturday. Yeesh! That is hot.

Granny
Advanced Member

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Janet ...

Am over in NE Tenn ... closer to Oak Ridge than I like ... but not so close as to shake in my boots ... ('bout 45 miles ) still ... once they get that new Neutron Spallation Thingie (it is some kind of heavy ion collider --- will probably open a black hole that will eat Tennessee first ... good job!)cranked, who knows.

Just google Oak Ridge and spallation ... it is huge.

Anyway ... point is we have not had heat as horrible as some I have read about ... although it is killing me ... being a/c spoiled and all, but the past two days when I went outside there is an a distinct odor of burning .... I even went all around the house today (outside) just checking ... but nothing.

Odd ...

Gran

Janet Rivenbark
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 8:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Gran,

I talked to a friend last night who lives in Brevard, NC, and she said the same thing. She is visiting her kids who live across the street from me and she knew it was hot here, but didn't realize it was that hot. She has been here a few days and is heading home this morning.

Somebody (can't remember who, memory was the first thing that went) said that the smoke from the fires on the west coast has been drifting east, pushed by the weather fronts. That could explain your strange smells and our smog.

We are supposed to have some pretty strong storms this afternoon into the evening. It is a cold front moving though. They will probably hit you first, keep your head down. At least the high is only supposed to be about 85 tomorrow. That will be like heaven!
Janet

graciesmom
Intermediate Member
Username: jmb

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We had a brief but violent thunderstorm last night (central PA). Some time during the event, straight-line winds tore through and lopped off the tops of several very large trees in a perfectly straight line that extends nearly a mile from our property up over the ridge behind us! We heard one loud "pop" during the storm, but not any "howling" winds. It was NOT a tornado. I used to work at Accu-Weather and the site of damage in a straight line like that is a classic thumbprint of straight-line winds.

thunderchicken
Username: thunderchicken

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well, I suppose this isn't technically weird weather for Florida - but the beach near us has Red Tide again. Last year we had the worst red tide ever. This year is better but a woman who has lived on Manasota Beach for 30 years said she's never seen so many dead fish - also she said there are dead snakes and she's never seen that before. The red tides are getting bigger and lasting longer.

starspirit
Username: starspirit

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Bizarre weather to report here in southern Massachusetts...

We had an unusual storm Wed night. knocked out our power Wed & Thurs.

It came in shaped like a long rectangular looking cloud with a "whirlwind" swirling in front of it. Lightning began to shoot forth at an alarming rate like strobes knocking trees down as it went. Tornado type winds and caused much chaos around this area. Folks will be talking about this for awhile around here...

Granny
Advanced Member

Post Number: 213
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Janet ....

"... smoke from the fires on the west coast has been drifting east, pushed by the weather fronts. That could explain your strange smells and our smog."

Although it does not seem possible I suppose it is ... I mean the smoke and pollution traveling that far. Those fires have been burning for quite a while.

I did not notice it today when I went outside, but I did not go out until my husband came running inside, and said he was looking for the cats (they are major spoiled and afraid of thunder and lightning and, after all, we are on their staff) because it was pouring rain. I had not head anything ... no wind, no thunder, not even rain, but he was correct.

I was so surprised. The sky was blue in places with white clouds but dark clouds in sections. Then we got Fiesty, the black cat, in the back door (lately, he is terrified of storms ... more than he used to be) ... so he dashed for the front door.

Not this may seem foolish, but if you know cats, they do not realize that the weather is the same at the front door as it is at the back ... yep, that's a cat for ya.

Anyway, Ronnie said he was washing the car in the driveway when the sky just opened up ... no warning what so ever.

When Fiesty got to the front door I had already seen the wind was up. All it took was me cracking the door to send him flying behind the couch.

I'm sorry, but there had not yet even been thunder or lightning (and later there was only one loud crack of thunder that sent all other animals under and behind sofas) and it really seems to me the animals are much more frightened and freaked than in the past.

Within 20 minutes the wind died down and the rain gentled, providing a soft rain for about an hour.

It has cooled off considerably. Later in the afternoon, I had to run into town to the court house to register some papers. On the way back I saw some very bright lightning so I thought we were in for it ... but it never happened.

My husband thinks I am a bit crazy about this weather thing ... but I know "something is not right" or something is definitely different.

Responses?

Gran

Granny
Advanced Member

Post Number: 214
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ok ... so to all ...

To me it does seem there is strange weather happening ... you all do think it is true don't you ... or ... are we all victims of keeping too close tabs on all the weather sites??

Gran

Janet Rivenbark
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 141
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Strange weather indeed. Even our local TV weather people have commented that our summer hot spells usually don't last this long. The promised cold front that would drop temps at least 10 - 15 degrees didnít really materialize. It is 10am and the temp is 85 but the humidity is so high that the heat index is already 96 degrees. Ugh. It is going to be another miserable day.

A friend vacationed at her sisters in the southern part of lower Michigan and she said that the heat was running 10 - 15 degrees above normal there.

I was out in the heat most of yesterday. I went outlet shopping with a friend and all the stores were virtually refrigerated. That canít be good with the way stores doors are constantly being opened and closed.
Janet

Regina
Advanced Member
Username: rchante

Post Number: 322
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Janet,
I see you're in NC, but Granny i'm not sure where you're at. Here in the NW (Portland, OR) there was a week of 100+ temps which was really awful and most unusual, but since then it has stayed in the high 70's or 80's. Nothing too unusual. We don't usually get much in the way of lightning or thunder - only occasionally. I watch the Weather Channel, though, and maybe too much, but i want to see how people are faring around the country and it sure looks like the map is always in the red, pink or white - which is waaay too hot. I am worried for the welfare of everyone, as well as animals and wilderness. The more fires there are, the more air pollution - and it's happening around the globe - so it probably is a vicious cycle. Then, add China's latest tactics of attempting to control their weather. That stuff they're doing is bound to impact what sails westward, our way.

Dhyan1111
Username: dhyan1111

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

KEEP AN EYE ON MT. ST. HELEN'S

She's blowing smoke!

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/images/mshvolcanocam4.jpg

For recent archive page see:
http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/archive/live-images/index.shtml

The time is now 12:20 p.m. central time and the archive page that shows the past three hours shows the Lady blowing smoke the whole time (August 5, 2006).

Dhyan1111

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I for one truly believe THIS IS IT FOLKS!

The beginning of the end (of the old ways).

It was prophesied from numerous ways (Book of Revelation, Nostradamas, Native/Indigenous).

Things to look for.

EARTH CHANGES.

Watch the Animals. They are changing, spooked, moving, or dying in great numbers.

It was prophesied that no one on the face of the earth would be untouched by the changes and that seems to be occurring!

If you have kept up to speed with all the Earth's activities you'd know that almost if not all continents have been reporting "unusual" "record breaking" "strange" "violent" "deadly" on and on weather and other anomalies.

LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE.

That's why I haven't posted lately. Too busy trying to keep up with all the news.

There are at least three reports of ET showing up THIS MONTH. Three reports of ships that are going to be APPEARING over cities. Three reports from various sources.

The wars are getting way too close to nuclear. If Cuba's crisis in the early 60's was too close (someone almost used atomic or nuclear) bombs and this information came out years later; but if that was too close THEN, look at how "far" they've come now.

That Hezbollah (spelled wrong) freak bragged about Israel not knowing about their "new" weapon. Did no one else catch that? I heard him say it (through translator) and knew what he meant by it.

And the fact that ISRAEL is in this war. That in itself is a ancient prophecy.

That RSOE site is great. I'm on the e-mail alerts and many come in daily. From that you can see the big picture; the entire globe.

I really think this is IT.

Stay safe; update emergency preparedness supplies, phone lists (IF there will be phone service), make lists of your e-mail contacts, make plans with family / friends on where to go and how to contact each other.

You can't say "I love you" to loved ones too much.

If nothing comes of ALL this, then this will be a drill. Practice makes perfect. And I'm sorry if I alarm people but you must keep your eyes and ears open.

People and animals have been dying in alarming numbers (around here anyhow). It also has been prophesied that many will "check out" prior to the Change.

BUT REMEMBER THIS:
We must keep the focus on the END RESULT. NOT on the chaos. Keep the focus on what the world will be like after the changes. Mother Earth for one needs to CLEANSE HERSELF. I read recently where the HEAT SPELL is Mother Earth's FEVER and that fever needs to be there because she's got an infection that needs healing.

If you keep your head when all around you is falling apart, you'll come out ok. Focus on the "1,000 Years Peace" that's also been prophesied. The removal of disease and hunger; the removal of pollution; the removal of war and insanity. SEE the clean water and SMELL the clean air. How would you like to drop down by a stream and DRINK THE CRYSTAL CLEAR WATER?

About these ET stories: I won't believe them until I see them and I'm not running out to the first one to see. You have to determine whether or not they're for us or against us FIRST. Wolf in sheep's clothing?

In our Dreams and in "Real" Life we've prepared and practiced FOR THIS TIME. You'll know what to do when it's time. DO WHAT YOU KNOW.

The momentum is accelerating. The Earth Changes; Human Consciousness. There needs to be a certain percentage of Human's that reach a certain level of consciousness before this happens.

I believe the percentage has been reached.

And that's a good thing.

This will end well. Just going to get REALLY bumpy for a time. KNOW THAT YOU WILL BE SAFE NO MATTER WHAT. KNOW THAT THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE COME HERE AT THIS TIME FOR. KNOW (as I read on this board recently) THAT YOU ARE NOT YOUR BODY. That you've come and gone many times in many different shapes and sizes and that if you choose the LIGHT and stay centered, NOTHING can harm you.

We are Humans Becoming; Help Us To Become!

Remove victimhood. Take responsibility in the collective unconsciousness (?) for all that's been done. DON'T ASK ANYONE OUTSIDE YOURSELF for help; the HELP must come from us, from inside US. Only then will ET come to ASSIST. We got ourselves into this mess; why should anyone get us out. If we beg for help the help won't come. IF we work to help OURSELVES first, then ASSISTANCE will come.

Sorry for the long post.

rebecca
Username: rebecca

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Dhyann, I totally agree. For the longest time I was dormant in my ability to sense things. Then I started getting this humming sensation like energy vibrating through my body. The other day I went to lie down for a nap and the energy moving through my body was so intense! This is the sign to me that I am being prepared for my role. Whatever that may be. Some advice that I have been taking lately is to enjoy what this time has to offer. Go to the movies, read books, go to the spa. Whatever. Just enjoy the now so that when life becomes harder and these things are not available, you will be able to face it.

Granny
Advanced Member

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

REgina ...

Am in the most wonderful spot... N.E. Tenn ... bout 40 miles NE of Knoxville.

Small town, 9 miles to work. Kind of sheltered and surrounded by mountains ... this means lots of weather misses us. It has been hot here and very humid... people in Mississippi and New Orleans are surely wilted by now.

Boy the USGS always makes Calif look like a punch board ... watch it Pat.

Krystal ... did I mention I think I know why all the building is happening up your way ... the new NASCO Mid-Continent Corridor. Holy Cats and Dogs ...

Now ... if my house does not fall down a sink hole ... we might make it.

Gran

Janet Rivenbark
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 2:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I donít know Rebecca, I donít really expect life to become that much harder, but maybe simpler. I do enjoy my modern conveniences, especially my Roomba (I hate to vacuum) and the internet. I often wonder how I ever got along without the internet. I have always wanted answers, and have always been an avid reader and when I moved to a new place the first thing I always used to do was get a library card. When we moved to where we live now, 30 years ago, there were no libraries in this county. I haunted the used bookstores. Now when I want information, I just Google it.

But to get back on track. I donít think that things are going to get that bad. I think that individuals arenít going to get as much help from the government when it comes to natural disasters, etc.; we are going to have to be much more self sufficient, and help each other, but that isnít all that bad. I live in the country and that would probably be easier for me and others who live in rural areas. I can plant a garden. I used to have a garden every year, but when our daughter got older and I went back to work, I didnít have the time for one so I havenít planted one in years. I retired from my AF Reserve job in March, and we are planning to move in a few months and I am already planning my garden for next spring. See if I still have a green thumb.

Change isnít always a bad thing, just different. So many of the folks who make predictions are ways predicting bad things. Maybe because the vibes that kind of stuff puts out are so much stronger; but I feel that good things are going to happen too.
Janet

Regina
Advanced Member

Post Number: 325
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well said, Janet. I agree, good things are happening too. If a visitor to our planet saw a woman giving natural birth, they'd think she was dying! It looks and feels so awful. Then voila! A beautiful new life form arrives, like a gift for all that pain and suffering. The Earth is birthing a new world, and i like to think that includes us but we'll have to stay in tune with her. Keeping food seeds on hand is a good idea, since we never know when we might need to start anew.

Mt. St. Helens looks to be right across the Columbia River - even though it's an hour or so drive from Portland - but i see her everday as i drive into town from the 'burbs. It's a lovely sight, as one drives north. Mt. Hood is very majestic and snow-capped off to my right, in the east. It's hard to imagine that St. Helens used to look like Mt. Hood. The top is truly blown off, and she's very active. Often times while riding into downtown i'll see puffs of steam coming out of her. Mt. St. Helens is like an artist and a dancer. She does her little dances and pushes big chunks of wildly shaped rock out of the dome. The last one looked like a giant shark fin. It became unstable and crumbled back down. Literally every day, or other day, she does a 3.0 rumble. Guess it's the NW's equivalent of all of Southern Cal's earthquakes. I hope the constant activity of the mountain is a way of releasing pented up pressure in the region.

Regina
Advanced Member

Post Number: 326
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hey Gran,
You're a Tennesse gal. Very good. My dad's side of the family is from that region, as well as Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. My great grandfather had a plantation in Tennessee, so the story goes.

Do you know what the name of the fault-line is that runs through the Tennessee area? I often see earthquakes on the USGS map in your region.

Granny
Advanced Member

Post Number: 220
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Regina ...

I am actually from South Carolina ... Greenville ... almost into North Carolina. That was not so bad ... being close to the mountains. I am just not a beach girl.

Since I landed in Tennessee ... I must be a mountain girl. A while back, we were talking on one of the other threads about how we feel we have somehow gravitated to "where we are supposed to be."

I am so glad to have gravitated to Tennessee. It is so very beautiful and my favorite place.

I think the fault line you refer to is the New Madrid. It brought unspeakable destruction in the early 1800 ... there are just horrifying account written in victims own hand preserved and available for reading online. I think it was 1811 and 1812 and during that whole time the quakes, large and small went on non-stop.

This fault is at the other end of the state ... on the western edge at Memphis, but scientists say that a major quake at New Madrid would be felt for at least 300 miles or more.

The above link is one from USGS: Sample

"In the winter of 1811-12, the central Mississippi Valley was struck by three of the most powerful earthquakes in U.S. history. Even today, this region has more earthquakes than any other part of the United States east of the Rocky Mountains. Government agencies, universities, and private organizations are working to increase awareness of the earthquake threat and to reduce loss of life and property in future shocks.
The 400 terrified residents in the town of New Madrid (Missouri) were abruptly awakened by violent shaking and a tremendous roar. It was December 16, 1811, and a powerful earthquake had just struck. This was the first of three magnitude-8 earthquakes and thousands of aftershocks to rock the region that winter.

Severe shaking accompanied the powerful New Madrid earthquakes that struck during the winter of 1811-1812. By winter's end, few houses within 250 miles of the Mississippi River town of New Madrid (Missouri) remained undamaged. (19th-century illustration, courtesy of the State Historical Society of Missouri.)

Survivors reported that the earthquakes caused cracks to open in the earth's surface, the ground to roll in visible waves, and large areas of land to sink or rise. The crew of the New Orleans (the first steamboat on the Mississippi, which was on her maiden voyage) reported mooring to an island only to awake in the morning and find that the island had disappeared below the waters of the Mississippi River. Damage was reported as far away as Charleston, South Carolina, and Washington, D.C."

Here is a map showing the size of the New Madrid.

Great info at this site.

This site has listings of all kinds of info including survivors accounts.

There is also a fault in our area and we have little shakers now and then, but nothing like New Madrid.

Gran

slw
Advanced Member

Post Number: 424
Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It rained here this p.m. really hard! After it quit for awhile, it rained some more! It was a pleasant surprise as this was not forecasted. I cannot remember when it rained so hard. The electric went off twice but the rain had cooled everything off so it wasn't so bad! Maybe our drought has broken! Excuse me for acting a fool over rain. LOL!

Dhyan1111

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Wow... take a look at this. THREE tropical systems in the Pacific at once

http://www.osei.noaa.gov/Events/Current/TRCSaomaiBophaMaria219_GJL.jpg

slw
Advanced Member

Post Number: 426
Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Dhyan, Thanks for the link. That looks like some powerful weather!

Janet Rivenbark
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Are thunderstorms getting louder or what? I swear that the thunder just sounds different some how. And we are having a lot more dry thunderstorms, or it will thunder and lightening for 30 - 45 minutes before it ever starts to rain, if it starts to rain. We are having a thunderstorm now. The worst of it is over; it is still rumbling and it just started to rain.

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing.
Janet

susi t learn
Username: etsi

Post Number: 2628
Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 - 8:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

yes, that happens here. tucson. lots of dry ones. i had a hard time sleeping last night, the lightening was so frequent it kept the room lit up.

Granny
Advanced Member

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 1:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Here in N. E. Tenn we have been having lots of thunder and lightning, but not much rain.

And yes, the thunder seems much louder and my animals are quite freaked out by it.

Gran

Krystal Gale Potter
Username: paradox1022

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 1:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We had a mild thunderstorm this morning. ( ND. ) First rain that has hit the ground in awhile. It was relatively light though. Still in bad drought. people's lawns have gone from brown to white.

The fire sirens go off at least twice a day. Not sure what it's all about. Probably simple grass fires. My dog freaks when it happens. Speaking of my dog..she's been acting so weird again. She only wants out about twice a day and she does her thing and comes right back in. She does not want to be outside at all. Could be the heat I guess.

We also seem to have a big pollination problem . I've only seen two bees this year. The little white butterflys are doing the pollinating..but not very well. I've taken to hand pollinating the plants.
Until humanity recognizes paradox as a definitive, the world shall know neither balance nor truth. http://www.kgppredicts.com

Janet Rivenbark
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 6:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Gran

I am glad I am not the only one who has noticed it. My husband think's I a little odd when I talk about it. My poor female cat spends most of every afternoon and early evening under the bed; she hates them, but the other one only looks a little worried unless there is a real loud crash close to the house. Then he just kind of ducks and squints and gets that "I'm gonna die!" look before he launches all 19 pounds of himself into my lap.

You said you live in N.E. Tennessee? We vacationed in a cottage at a place called Thunder Cove on a lake formed by a dam when I was 12. Can't remember the name of the lake right now, too early and I haven't finished my coffee. But that was a place that lived up to it's name. We had one heck of a thunder storm our first night there. Seemed to echo down the valley and was louder than any we had ever heard, and that is what the storms around here have been reminding me of lately.

Krystal, we have had plenty of rain, those scattered afternoon thunderstorms, but it hasn't been consistent over the whole area. It has been ultra humid and there is mold growing on everything. Inside isn't too bad, I can keep it under control with a mild bleach solution, but there is black mold on our deck and in both the sheds. Ugh! My allergies have been worse this year than they have been in years. I hate to leave the house.
Janet

Lou Ann Britton
Username: asgard

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Fierce thundestorms here in Central New York this summer. I remember two or three summers ago mentioning that we hardly ever get thunderstorms anymore; that whole summer we only had two little puny storms. Well, we have more than made up for it this summer!

The heat index has been absolutely horrendous most of the summer, high humidity, the works. We seem to get one maybe two days every couple of weeks with tolerable weather. Then it's either sun, high heat and humidity or heavy rain and thunderstorms. A lot of heavy flodding in numerous areas throughout New York State.

And yes,Janet, the thunder sounds different. I've heard several people around here comment on it. It's not only loud, but seems to last longer. To me it sounds like some great angry beast growling out it's rage. And the lightning!! Each storm we've had has produced some major hits very close to my trailer. My poor kittens blow-up like little balloons in fear from it. The last storm produced a strike so close that shook the trailer to bad it knocked a bag of groceries off the table!

And yeah, everyone here is complaining their allergies are the worse they have ever experienced, myself included.

Janet Rivenbark
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Lou Ann,

A great angry beast is a very good description.

Just to add to the mix. Our weather today is totally different than it has been all summer. At 10:30 am it is only 72 degrees and the temp is only supposed to make it to 80 today. It is overcast and threatening to rain. Yesterday it got up to the high 80's which was refreshing. My husband and I were at the dealer for the modular we are buying and we walked out of the office to go look at some cabinets in one of their display models and the weather had totally changed in the hour we had been inside. The breeze had switched from out of the south and was blowing out of the north east and was COOL! There was another woman there looking at houses and she and I looked at each other and grinned. We both commented that it felt wonderful!
Janet

Dhyan1111

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Geomagnetic Sudden Impulse

Report dated August 18, 2006

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/SWN/

L. A. B.
Username: leathab

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Freeky hailstorm just went through, two minutes ago, may wreak our harvest and fruit trees. Argh!!

(Message edited by Leathab on August 25, 2006)

Granny
Advanced Member

Post Number: 286
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Janet ...

Cooler here in Tenn too ... and some night the breezes are heavenly ... cats already getting a bit spunky.

L.A.B. ... heard somewhere there was 3 inch hail ... murder!

Gran

L. A. B.

Post Number: 1745
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ours was one inch, melted fast, but still pulled lots of leaves. The 3-inchers were further up the canyons, on into Colorado/Wyoming. Hope the midwest doesn't get the tornadoes.

We are due for more rain tomorrow, and until Tuesday.

slw
Advanced Member

Post Number: 457
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

What does acid rain look like? Our drought has broken (for now) and it rained several hours today. We drove about 40 miles to another town in the pouring rain. I've seen rain so hard that it looked like small crested waves on the highway but this was different. The rain that accumulated on the road and ran down the curbs was "white". It looked like it could have been scooped up in solid form. I've never seen rain that looked like that! It was not natural!

Janet Rivenbark
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 8:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

If it hasn't rained in a long time the rain was probably washing a lot of crud off the road. Fuel residue, oil and you name it. Some fuels actually have detergents in them.
Janet

slw
Advanced Member

Post Number: 458
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 9:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Janet, Thanks for the response. Our roads were fairly slick due to a build up of oil but after 30 minutes or so the rain was abnormally white plus it seemed to be thicker than rain. Maybe it was nasty rain from the atmosphere. But after so long with no rain, I'm not complaining!

L. A. B.

Post Number: 1813
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Could also be "pollution" if it hasn't rained in a long time.

Janet Rivenbark
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yeah, with all the fires all over the place not to mention a few volcanoes; could be most anything.
Janet

anna
Advanced Member
Username: anna

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well, we have gone from 90's summer to 50/60's and it looks like it's FALL. I love the cooler weather, but it usually changes more gradually, not overnight. I hope Winter doesn't come early.... But this cooling has been good for the fires...

Janet Rivenbark
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

No weird weather to report; it has been beautiful, if a few degrees warmer than normal. I finally got my husband to agree to turn off the AC.

There is only one problem with having all the doors and windows open: the critters tend to get curious and wander in. I have caught several large grasshoppers and green anole lizards and put them out just today. Luckily I have seen them before the cats or they would have been history.
Janet

Lou Ann Britton

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well, it's not my wierd weather, but Buffalo, NY. They received in excess of 22" of lake effect snow last Thursday and Friday, a new record for this early in the season. Over 350,000 people without power and not expected to have power fully restored until later this week. The early heavy wet snow brought down powerlines, tree limbs and in some cases whole trees.

there was talk on the news last night that a similar storm was headed this way, on the east end of Lake Ontario, though not as severe. Haven't heard anything from local news as of yet, although we got nothing here. There was a higher probability of it hitting north of here over the Tug Hill Plateau.

buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Wednesday there was 40cm dumped in
Fort Erie Ont.they are still without power..
sewage is backed up and it's flooding peoples
homes..everywhere is a shambles and the
night temperatures hover just around freezing.
It was a very bad early snow storm the worst
in their history according to reports..
Qua da di

Lou Ann Britton

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Same for Buffalo, buddie. Now they are worried about possible flooding as this early snow melts at a relatively fast rate. The evening news now says that some residents may not get their power back until the end of next weekend. They are saying there hasn't been a storm with this much destruction here in the north east since that big ice storm that hit Canada and the northeast a few years back. The scarey part is, according to my brother-in-law who works for National Grid, many of those repairs from that storm are still classified as "temporary" or as some say "cob-jobs" which have not been reinforced since then...at least not here in the States. News clips showed snow flakes that could likely have given one a concussion were they hit in the head by them. One of the drawbacks to living around the great lakes is lake effect snow, it can bury you fast.

Janet Rivenbark
Advanced Member

Post Number: 203
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I thought the US was supposed to have a mild winter because of El Nino".
Janet

Lou Ann Britton

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Depends on who you listen to, Janet. read the latest prediction for the winter this AM and it's pretty much a toss-up. They list a lot of variables and different years with different effects of El Nino. Bottom line, I think their guess is as good as yours and mine.

For myself, based on the animal life I monitor and certain trends. I think the temps may be a bit milder here where I am, but we may get average or above snowfall. That's where I'm at at this point in time. Take it for what it's worth...