Archive through May 01, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Superstorm / Climate Change » Post Your Weird Weather Here » Archive through May 01, 2006 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Edwina!
Username: mad_queen_edwina

Post Number: 948
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 2:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Early next week we're expecting a freeze warning even in Southwestern Florida
Liberty or Death!

miaree9
Username: miaree9

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 8:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Today and tomorrow in Abilene, Texas we are experiencing temperatures in the mid-80's. Friday, we are supposed to have a high of about 35F with a chance of sleet--and it's supposed to stay that way for about 4 days.

Edwina!

Post Number: 949
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Looks like it's getting cold again after being unusually warm across the South including Texas...

Weather.com
Liberty or Death!

Blossom
Username: blossom

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Tuesday we all went out in t-shirts, shorts and no jackets had to turn the air on a bit on the truck even. Today we are warped up like eskimos and cannot seem to stay warm for the life of us!!! (Here is Missouri)

Edwina!

Post Number: 953
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Not my weird weather (my weather's NORMAL right now ), but the Midwest / Deep South cold front I told y'all about is wreaking winter storm havoc and falling temperatures in the Northeast.

Northeast Storm Kills 4
Liberty or Death!

Lou Ann Britton
Advanced Member
Username: asgard

Post Number: 273
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We also had a tanker flipped over by the wind just five miles north of Syracuse on Interstate 81 Friday. Still about 25,000 homes without power in the Syracuse area as a result of Friday's storm. And there is still heavy Lake Effect in northern Oswego/Southern Jefferson Counties going on. It appeared initially that it was all headed north and going to fizzle out, but latest radar shows the Lake Effect reinforcing and starting to drift south again. Looks like I may be getting some more snow before the day is over.

miaree9

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Today, our temperature is supposed to get into the low 90's here in Abilene, Texas. Last week we rarely got into the 50's. By tomorrow, we are supposed to be back in the 60's.

Amaruk
Advanced Member
Username: machupicchu

Post Number: 228
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Canada's weather is totally weird and upside down this winter.

Torrid temperatures smash records around Nunavut
“The warm air is all in the North and the cold air in the South. The weather is backwards”
http://www.nunatsiaq.com/news/nunavut/60303_04.html

March 3, 2006

Edwina!

Post Number: 970
Posted on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Weird and dangerous storm front in Kansas and Missouri.

Read the article here.
Liberty or Death!

rebecca
Username: rebecca

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 5:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Want to talk about weird weather? We had snow. Not just a day of snow where it dusted the higher peaks but several days. Still only the higher peaks got it but still. There was actually a huge accident north of here but south of San Francisco due to snow! It's windy, rainy, and cold. That's now unusual weather except that we should have had it in December and January but in those months we were running around in tshirts for several weeks at a time.

Edwina!

Post Number: 972
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Rebecca, that IS weird! *SNOW* in the SF Bay Area and in Central and Southern California, in MARCH?????

And the Midwest had MORE twisters last night. Plus, Springfield, Illinois got hit with 100 mph-plus straight-line winds: Hurricane Category 2!

http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=5174

CNN.com/Midwest Storms - videos of damage by wind here.

(Message edited by mad_queen_edwina on March 13, 2006)
Liberty or Death!

Edwina!

Post Number: 973
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Warmest Winter in Canada. Yet the Bushbots still would have us to believe that global warming is bull****.

Winter Warmest Ever on Record in Canada
From Associated Press
March 13, 2006 7:50 PM EST
TORONTO - The winter of 2005-2006 has been Canada's warmest on record and the federal agency Environment Canada said Monday it was investigating whether it's a sign of global warming.

Between December and February, the country was 3.9 degrees above normal - the warmest winter season since temperatures were first recorded in 1948. Environment Canada climatologist Bob Whitewood said it smashed the previous record set in 1987 by 0.9 degrees.

"We saw it coming from mid-January on that we were seeing something quite remarkable," Whitewood said.

The experience has been similar south of the border where the U.S. National Climatic Data Center said the winter has been the fifth warmest on record. December through February are considered meteorological winter.

More here.
Liberty or Death!

Jimmy
Username: chippyo

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

heard a great documnetary on Phoneix AZ on NPR in the car today.

Talk about massive growth from the early 60's, now it is a 4 million population in the metero area. A suburban sprawl. When I was a kid at Williams AFB in 1966 road runners ran across the road & we ran through grape arbors. Now in my lifetime it is a large heat island of asphalt & concrete where the temp does not drop at night. The guy claimed that in a few years the summer nights would not go below 100 degrees at all.
I have some old workmates that moved back from Phoniex due to the intense heat! Wow...and they are able to....crazy!

Susi t learn...is this true?

"Old Wine in New Bottles..."- SBWII

Dhyan1111
Username: dhyan1111

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi Jimmy and All,
Speaking of Phoenix and the changes there. My family moved there from Wisconsin in the early 1980's. My daughter and I lived there for "three summers" and moved back to Wisconsin in 1984. Back then you could see the mountains from just about everywhere in the Valley. All the time. Not any more. In the last few years you're lucky to see the mountains (Superstitions) at all. Way too much smog and whatever other pollution you get when you put that many people there.

I find that sad.

Dhyan

Dhyan1111

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Like I said the other day; it's going to be a BAD severe Spring in the midwest and elsewhere.

100 tornadoes in five states
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WEATHER/03/14/severe.weather.ap/index.html

rebecca
Username: rebecca

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 1:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Uh oh, let me get my directions straight! The accident due to snow was south of here but north of San Francisco, not the other way around! Sorry about that. That would but the snow around the Sausalito area. Sorry for the misinformation due to my backwards brain. Still, snow here in this quantity is not normal.

Janet Rivenbark
Username: janetgr

Post Number: 607
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 6:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Geez, I really don't get this weather! It was beautiful over the weekend, but unusually warm: 80 for a high and low in the 60's. I slept with the windows open for 3 nights. I get up this morning and at 6am it is 30.

At least it is supposed to be sunny.
Janet

Work like you don’t need the money;
Love like you’ve never been hurt;
Dance like no one is watching.

Krystal Gale Potter
Username: paradox1022

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 2:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It actually snowed and got cold today here in ND !
Until humanity recognizes paradox as a definitive, the world shall know neither balance nor truth.

Lou Ann Britton
Advanced Member
Username: asgard

Post Number: 274
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 8:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's snowing here in Central New York, probably our last blast of it for this season. It's been quite mild overall throughout the whole winter and we have not had much in the way of snowfall. Quite a bit below normal and everyone is worrying about the water table. What they fail to realize is the water table has been extremely high the last few years due to excessive rains and heavy snow in the winters. Our water tables here, for the time being, are fine.

They did report on the news the other night that our weather has been getting windier over the last few years. They went back in the archives and found that the last two years have been the windiest on record, followed by 1996 and 1990. Geez, I could have told them that without their having to go back into their records! I've lost track of how many times I've had to replace stockade fencing due to high winds. And it's become the norm to expect power outages in March due to high winds and ice around here.

Dhyan1111

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 8:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Lou Ann and all,

Same thing here in Wisconsin. MUCH higher winds the last year especially. In the 11 years I've lived at this house, probably once a year I've had to put my garbage can in the back yard so it won't blow over and go rolling down the street. THIS past fall/winter however I keep the garbage can in the back yard as I was always chasing it. The winds are much stronger, much longer. Can't stress that enough.

Dhyan

Edwina!

Post Number: 976
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Speaking of high winds, Australia got hit by a Category Five Hurricane! Only they're called Cyclones yonder there down under.
Liberty or Death!

Amaruk
Advanced Member

Post Number: 246
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

But UC .com made a mistake when quoting the winds' strength.

In northern Australia, one of the biggest hurricanes in history is hitting the coast with 300 mph winds.

Actually, the BBC news Website says the winds reached 300KM/H = 180mph not 300mph...

Krystal Gale Potter
Username: paradox1022

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

When I lived in Mi, the wind speed was increasing dramatically every year. Hurricane force winds became almost common and anyone under my age did not even know it was'nt right.

In ND, which is a very windy state, I have seen a decrease in wind speed while I've been here...however, I live in an odd part of the state. It's like a vacuum. Everybody else gets hit with flooding rains or blizzards and it's completely calm here in the center of the state. Occasionally we get smacked..but nothing like I experienced in MI. From the town I live in, if there is a major storm in the state...we can drive out of town in any direction and run into it within a few miles, but when we drive back into our town..NOTHING is going on. How do you explain that ? Some kind of localized anomoli ?
Until humanity recognizes paradox as a definitive, the world shall know neither balance nor truth.

anna
Username: anna

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We have had it very weird here in Boise the last 2 months or so. Warm, then cold, dry, then pouring rain. Warm, then snow. Then over again... We have had a very wet winter, which was good for skiers, but now there's spring flood worries. Overall, it's very weird. And I am really worried about the summer, if it's excessive and unstable...

Edwina!

Post Number: 992
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Down here in West Central Florida it has gotten VERY chilly for a few nights, now... and the air conditioners haven't cranked up yet as I had expected them to (they always did in mid or late March in New Orleans...)
Liberty or Death!

Edwina!

Post Number: 999
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

27 Killed by Tornadoes in the Midwest and South

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12093497/
Liberty or Death!

Edwina!

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Tornado in Hamburg, Germany

408386,00.html

March 28, 2006 Der Spiegel International - English Edition

FREAK STORM

Tornado Causes Chaos in Hamburg

The northern German port of Hamburg is used to strong winds but this was different. A tornado blew over tall building cranes, trees and cars, tore off roofs, left 300,000 people without electricity and knocked out the railway system on Monday night. Two building crane operators died.

Tornados regularly hit the United States but remain unusual in the calmer climate of Europe. Residents of Hamburg, one of Germany's largest cities, got a crash course in the ferocity of such storms on Monday night when a freak tornado wreaked havoc, killing two people and leaving 300,000 without power during the night.
Liberty or Death!

Edwina!

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Snow cover north of the 44th parallel melting 5 to 10 days early, according to USGS

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1482

Rivers Indicate Earlier Snowmelt in Eastern North America
Released: 3/27/2006 8:51:25 AM

Scientists at the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) have found evidence in eastern North America that the snow is melting and running off into rivers earlier than it did in the first half of the 20th century. According to a USGS study published in the most recent issue of Geophysical Research Letters, winter-spring flows in many rivers in the northern United States and Canada are occurring earlier by 5-10 days....

The scientists compared the dates by which half of the total volume of winter-spring runoff has flowed past a river gaging station in each year. Most rivers north of 44° north latitude—roughly from southern Minnesota and Michigan through northern New York and southern Maine—showed earlier winter-spring streamflows. In contrast, many stations south of this line in Iowa, southern Wisconsin, and northern Illinois had later streamflows. Changes in average monthly flows support these results—there are high percentages of rivers north of 44° north latitude with increases in January, February, and March streamflows and relatively high percentages of rivers with decreases in May and June.

In 2005, researchers from Scripps Institution of Oceanography and the USGS found earlier streamflow across large portions of western North America in rivers with significant snowmelt runoff.

Liberty or Death!

Dhyan1111

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Israel experiences unusual weather ~ a Tornado
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/702899.html

"When this kind of phenomenon occurs over water it is called a water spout, but when it occurs over land it is called a tornado. To use military terminology, this is an escalation in terms of weather and a very rare occurrence in Israel. This is an example of how extreme the weather in Israel has become," he said.

Amaruk
Advanced Member

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 8:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well it's official : Summer has come ... and gone in southern Quebec. It was 19 Celsius last Friday. but on Tuesday, it was snowing again. And guess what? A false fire alarm rang at the school during lunch hour. All the kids were outside, many in T-shirts, for 15 mins before we were able to secure a safe place to take them to : the basement of the next door church!

A great introduction to what Canada is all 'bout for those -many- kids newly arrived in the country!

donnawa
Username: donnawa

Post Number: 2360
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 8:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

"...many- kids newly arrived in the country."

Any immigrants from the USA?

anna

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 1:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

And we're gettinf flooded here in Boise big time. A lot of snow this winter, but then a lot of RAIN and warm! They're releasing a lot of water from the local dam, and turned on the irrigation ditched early. We had one dry day this week, today, 64 and heavy haze (it was CLEAR, then they chemsprayed really heavy! Yuck). Now more rain the next 6 days! And warm! Maybe I should build a raft..... :-( On the up side- it's so green!!! But if it's our normal hot and dry summer it will be a killer fire season. All the lush, green grass will dry and turn to tinder..... :-( Oh well....

j
Advanced Member
Username: observer

Post Number: 260
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Check out this link.
http://www.flight-history.com/arch/showstory.php?contentID=57 268 feet of ice in 50 years !!! I wonder how old those ice caps REALLY are and how often global weather oscillations really do happen.

jonas
Advanced Member
Username: jonas

Post Number: 264
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I guess what happens here in Norway is not "unusual" when reading what happens in the US/Canada region. Here in Oslo it snows when it should be spring, warm and sunny :o(
There has been alot of snow this winter...

The Mind is the MatriX of all matter

Edwina!

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Jonas, global warming is a possible cause of all that snow in Scandinavia IMO. After all, the great ice sheets could not have covered Europe and North America without a sufficient amount of snow to those northern latitudes.

Speaking of global warming, click here and view this Quicktime video about New Orleans seven months after Katrina. Although the video is about the struggle of the city after the hurricane, about three-fourths of the way in, one of the interviewees said that there were 80-degree days (or possibly warmer) there in December, January, and February. Now when I was down there one might see a small amount of such days toward the end of February, but not once did I experience any days that warm in December or January!
Liberty or Death!

Edwina!

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Correction: up there. New Orleans is NORTH of Westcentralflorida.
Liberty or Death!

dirkwright
Username: dirkwright

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We have what appears to be a trend upward in the number of tornados in the U.S. Here's a chart put together by Accuweather that shows cumulative tornado numbers for the last 5 years or so. Notice that 2003 was above the 10 year average, then 2004 was even more, but 2005 was less and 2006 was way up so far. I suppose it's too early to call a clear trend though, since 2005 was lower than the 10 year average.

anna

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Today it was 70, which is too warm for here. And yet there was snow in the forecast here 2 days ago. Very bizarre!

slw
Username: slw

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 12:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Record temperature for Easter in North Texas today, a whopping 92 degrees! When my kids were little, I remember an Easter when they hunted Easter eggs in their winter coats!

quigs
Username: astralgazer

Post Number: 984
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Geez what about those tornadoes? There were at least 20 more last night in Illinois. You know for the past few months I've had maybe two dreams a month about tornadoes. In each dream I'm controlling them with my mind. Trying to clear the sky. Now that these twisters are literally popping up all over the place it's really friekin me out that I kept dreaming about them. I heard there was even a possible tornado in Modesta, CA. A while back my 2 brothers, my sister and I all dreamed of a tornado wrecking our parents house. I didn't really take the the coincidence that seriously before, now I'm thinking I should.
'Via Crucis o Via Lucis'

L. A. B.
Username: leathab

Post Number: 5685
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's snowing, 17 Apr and it's snowing. Brrr.

miaree9

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's supposed to get up to 99 degrees today here in Abilene, Texas. I tell you what L.A.B., if I can just figure out how to do it, I'll send you some of my heat in exchange for some of your cold. That way we'd both be comfortable.

slw
Username: slw

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Correction, it was 95 degrees on Easter! 93 was the old record. Today it was 98! I wish we had some of that snow, too!

Seltsam
Username: seltsam

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Up to 5 feet of snow fell on northwestern South Dakota today.

anna

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We had spotty corn snow Monday afternoon, today it was 75 degrees! Flooding is expected to get worse on some of the major rivers and if it gets warmer and stays til May it will get really bad. I'm glad we moved away from the irrigation ditch area last year. Atleast we won't have to worry about the fields flooding with the water from the ditchs. I just hope it cools down or there will be a lot of property damage in the area. There are some very expensive new houses with young owners near the river who seem surprised that this kind of thing can happen. Can you spell "flood plain"?

Sharon2468
Intermediate Member
Username: sharon2468

Post Number: 182
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Here in central Ohio it's been good weird! The dogwood and redbud trees are blooming almost two weeks earlier than usual. Probably due to the really mild winter we had.

We've lived here for 27 years and they have always bloomed the early part of May. You could count on the timing. Now I wonder if this could mean more tornadoes or a hot and dry summer?

L. A. B.
Username: leathab

Post Number: 5763
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Now it's 78 degrees. Hot!!

Amaruk
Advanced Member

Post Number: 262
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Nunavut : Arctic Canada

Will the summer of 2006 be the hottest ever?

Solar tracker says warm air growing in atmosphere.

This past winter may have been warm, with many places in Nunavut breaking long-standing temperature records,

but the summer of 2006 will be the “King of Heat,” according to Wayne Davidson, a long-time observer of the sun in Resolute Bay.

http://www.nunatsiaq.com/news/climate/60428_01.html

Quantum Cat
Username: msfox

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

In my part of the world...Northwest Arkansas...it rained Friday and Saturday. It rained and rained and rained...and it was very good. But it is still not enough. My home region is full of springs that used to never go dry...ever even when it was abnormally dry. With climate change and over development, this area is not the place it once was...A shame that the pathologically greedy get to destroy everything in their quest for that which can only be used during this part of the journey.

Used to get these kinds of raines a lot when I was a kid. Last normal winter we had was in 1993. It's really strange when what was once normal has become unusual.....go figure.
L
Self sufficiency is TRUE freedom

Quiti
Advanced Member
Username: starcat

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 1:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yesterday, in the space of 2 hours the temp dropped from 50 degrees to 31 degrees-the driving rain turned to to snow-the biggest fattest heaviest flakes I've ever seen. This was just about 25 miles NE of Seattle at about 1200 ft elevation.