Archive through February 02, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Superstorm / Climate Change » Post Your Weird Weather Here » Archive through February 02, 2006 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lou Ann Britton
Advanced Member
Username: asgard

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 3:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

starspirit, that same system went thru here earlier today. The worst of it stayed north of me, but we still got about 3" out of it. Has been rather windy and cold since. I guess winter is here for this year. At least if we get more of the bitter cold like we've had the last couple of years, we got some snow to act as insolation. Maybe I'll make it thru the winter this year without any burst water pipes.

starspirit
Username: starspirit

Post Number: 1873
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 5:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

oh man lou ann what a storm that was. Seems to be over now. But my god it was like a blizzard all day.

Then to top it off, I had to go pick up my son at school. Could'nt see out the windows of the car and could not go over 20 mph. Had to do the sideways maneuver around corners in snow a foot deep & then the car was completely covered again by the time I got to the school. So I had to get out & brush it off & Then da da da dumb I locked the darn keys in my running car LOL.
Had to walk home with my son in the whipping sideways stinging snow where ya can't see. And since my house key was in my car, had to climb a bush & rip the screen out of a window to get to the storm window, luckily unlocked, climb in, and get the other set of car keys. Walk back in the blizzard to get my car. Took me longer to get home driving then walking, lol, God what a day.

At this point I was like there is no way I can go shovel after all that. And poof there was some guy at the door asking to shovel the drive way. 1st time I've ever paid someone to shovel, hec it's worth it.

ahhhh hot cocoa time

starspirit

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 5:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Now that I'm all warm & cozy and dry. It is sooo beautiful outside right now. Watching my son & his friend building a snowman, lol. Me? I'm wearing a heating pad on the bruises from climbing in the window.

Got 16" total, ya it's usually a bit more than they say, and snow fell 3-6" per hour!!! also a plane got struck by lightning leaving logan airport. No one injured.

They are calling this strange storm "bombogensis" lol, a "thundersnow" storm to remember.

(Message edited by starspirit on December 09, 2005)

merovee
Intermediate Member
Username: merovee

Post Number: 199
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 1:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

One time I locked my car keys in my running car in a thunderstorm. I saw a mechanic's garage nearby and although they played dumb on helpingme slim jim my car open, I acquired a welding rod(like a stiff wire hanger) and jimmied my door open in seconds, even though I had never done it before. With locksmith's so expensive it is worth a try, especially if you don't have power locks or windows. It's amazing what can be accomplishedunder this kind of pressure.
Yes we had 8 beautiful, freezing inches last night. My neighbors in the flat upstairs had a 'snowed in' party overflowing onto the balcony. It was fun. This is an earlier and more agressive start to winter than in recent history. If this is what early december is like, I hate to imagine how bitter january will be. My dad told me, and I have read in history books that the Detroit area used to consistently get 2-3 feet at a time, and more ice too. I really hope we don't get any bad ice storms, those are the most dangerous.

Lou Ann Britton
Advanced Member

Post Number: 256
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 8:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

starspirit, you definitely deserve a heating pad and hot cocoa after all of that. I had seen that storm system predicted a couple days before and was praying it would miss me. After the last two dumpings we got, I've had my fill of winter already. Like I said, the worst of it passed to the north here, but could see it was intensifying as it headed east.

What made it so bad was it being a combination of two systems, one from the west and one coming up the coast from the south. Those are the ones I dread the most, so much moisture being supplied by the system from the south, you just know someone is gonna get slammed bad. Except for the really bad lake effect storm we got here two years ago, our worst blizzards have always been the result of this sort of scenario.

I can truly empathize with you on the driving conditions. Two years ago we got hammered so regularly that I would spend 3 to 4 hours on the road making it home from work at least once a week. A trip which is normally only about 35 minutes. That was a long winter for me. I'm surprised they didn't close your son's school down early, or did they? They've had two snow days here already this year. At this rate, the kids will be spending some extra days at school at the end of the year to make them up.

starspirit

Post Number: 1877
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 6:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I'm surprised the school was open as well. They were expecting it to turn to rain by 2pm. That's when the thunderstorm hit the snowstorm causing a blizzard. Just like the scenario you mention above. All of a sudden there was flashing lightning, loud rolling thunder, 70 mph winds and complete white out.
Freaky thundersnow blizzard lol. Don't ever want to walk in that again. Well, maybe to a neighbors snowed in party, like merovee did.
lol those are fun.

Jimmy
Username: chippyo

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 9:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Been pretty below noraml cold here in Philly Metro. Fisrt time since I have been here we have had 2 snowfalls (3-5 inches) before x-mas.

Wonder if this is a chilly year or harbriger of things to come?

"This is a mean ole world" -WMJ

Edwina!
Username: mad_queen_edwina

Post Number: 875
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well I'm back in Westcentralflorida and things are pretty damn normal for this area for this time of year except I thought this would be dry season with hardly any rain at all. And we've had plenty of rain in the past few days. Plus lots of fog. Any *real* Centralfloridians out there to tell me what normal's *supposed* to be like?

The local weatherpeople told us to 'spect another cold front to come in, tho'. Wonder if it'll freeze?
The Bush administration has shown a willingness to do just about anything to manipulate public opinion.

- Arianna Huffington

rebecca
Username: rebecca

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 12:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Way too mild here in Sonoma County California. It should be really cold by now making it necessary to wear sweaters and jackets. Had on a t-shirt and light pants today. It's nearly 10pm here and I am still sitting in my shirtsleeves with no heater on. I want winter!

Janet Rivenbark
Username: janetgr

Post Number: 560
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 7:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The Farmer's Almanac says that we (southeastern US) are supposed to have a strange winter. We are supposed to see saw back and forth between unseasonably mild to seasonably or unseasonably cold. So far we have been doing just that.

We had a very mild fall. We still had our air conditioning on during the day into November. Then it got cold and we went from AC to heat in one 24 hour period. Then it got warm again, was very nice on Thanksgiving. Then it got cold again. We are supposed to stay in the mid to upper 50's during the day with lows in the lower 30's at night right through Christmas Eve.

So far it hasn't been unusually cold, I think the lowest I have seen it was in the upper 20's, but January is supposed to be warmer than usual at the beginning and then the weather is supposed to get rough. The old timers are saying that they think it might even snow enough to measure this winter.

You should see this place when it snows! I took drivers ed in Michigan during a very snowy winter, so I learned how to drive in the snow, and there are a few people, mostly the transplants, who know how to drive in it. But mostly we stay off the roads until they are cleared, because the natives are out there. It is just like before a hurricane. If the weatherman says it might snow, all the bread, milk, bologna and beer disappear out of the stores, everything closes and people are glued to their TV's. After it stops snowing (no matter if it was 1/2 and inch or 18 inches) it is a sight to behold. Even the cops have problems. One year ('89?) we had 18 inches on Christmas. The day after I had to go out to pick up necessities for family. I passed a State Trooper who had slid off the road. A guy in a big 4 wheel drive truck with Maine plates was pulling him out of the ditch.
Janet

Work like you donít need the money;
Love like youíve never been hurt;
Dance like no one is watching.

Edwina!

Post Number: 895
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Well I just heard from some friends in coastal Mississippi... temps in the 40s F at day (twenty degrees F below normal!)

And there are still people living in skeletons of houses and in tents
The Bush administration has shown a willingness to do just about anything to manipulate public opinion.

- Arianna Huffington

Krystal Gale Potter
Username: paradox1022

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's been cold here finally. ND. I like sub-zero temps as they alleviate my pain, however...now the local news says by Thursday we will be back into the 40's ! Rain is headed this way. I'm like 100 miles from the Canadian border at the end of December and will be in a rain storm with 40 F temps. We just filled the tank for heat, it cost 670 dollars ! We were informed that they raised the price because it is supposed to be an exceptionally cold winter. IF it ever does get cold and stays that way, a lot of people are going to freeze at that price. Paying that bill pretty much wiped us out and Dave is layed off. I think I'd rather deal with the pain and have higher temps than freaking out over how we are going to pay the bills. The point though is that ND should be in perma-freeze until the end of March...and it ain't happnin'.
It seems as if the southern states are getting colder and the northern states warmer. Pole shift to blame ? Ocean currents ? I have some roses planted that are hardy to zone 5. I am in zone 3..so we mulched the heck out of them, covered them completely..looks like it was for no good reason. ND is behaving like zone 4 to 5.

Edwina, I just saw on the news that they did an anonymous survey for the people still homeless and 66% of people polled would decline to help African Americans. Originally, since the kids are gone and I have spare rooms, I was going to place my home on a list for shelter. Dave then brought up an excellent point. Even though we are not predjudiced..the town and the state are. Wicked bad predjudiced. Black children would be shunned and targeted, adults would not be able to obtain jobs and even if they did the employees would make their lives a living H*ll. I really wanted to do this but the only refugees I could take would have to be white. I can't very well openly state I will only take whites. I've been thinking about it a lot. I'm so angry at people's stupidity. I guess I could open up the house, let the people know the conditions they would be living under..and let them decide. The people here are so predjudiced it goes beyond color. They will barely tolerate you if you are from another state. I don't even know where to begin in offering my home. Is there a registry ?
Until humanity recognizes paradox as a definitive, the world shall know neither balance nor truth.

Janet Rivenbark

Post Number: 572
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 6:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

"they raised the price because it is supposed to be an exceptionally cold winter."

Now does that many any sense at all? Sounds to me like someone is planning to make a good profit this year.

We use propane and when our tank was filled last week it surprised me that it was only $2.01 a gallon, but then I am in the southern part of NC and it isn't expected to be exceptionally cold this winter.
Janet

Janet Rivenbark

Post Number: 575
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 9:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It has been cold, but last night the low was only about 45 and about 4am a thunderstorm woke me up. It was poring rain and there was a lot of thunder and lightening. It is supposed to be 65 today and rainy all day. A wet Christmas; at least it isn't snow!
Janet

Lou Ann Britton
Advanced Member

Post Number: 258
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 7:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We hit the mid-40's here in Central New York again today...and rain! It's been very mild the last three or four days, a lot of snow and ice melting very rapidly. At least I won't have to get back up on the roof and shovel again right away...I hope. A lot of fog due to the snow pack and the warmer air temps. This feels like our "traditional" January thaw... a bit early if it is. They are predicting, so far, to have mild temps for the next two weeks. Fine by me as far as my heating bill goes.

Had a lot of birds around the last couple fo days as well. I had to clear out some of the brush they like to perch in that has winter berries. So put up a bird feeder for them. Silly creatures, took them about two weeks to discover it. But they were definitely enjoying it today. A lot of singing going on out there.

Quiti
Intermediate Member
Username: starcat

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We have gone from a solid 2 week period of temps dropping to 21 degrees at night(almost record cold) to record breaking highs-55-63 degrees -in a matter of days. (Seattle-Everett area)

Edwina!

Post Number: 908
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 3:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I talkied to my relatives up in New England (Boston area) and they said temps were in the 50s!

- Arianna Huffington

Edwina!

Post Number: 913
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 8:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Wildfires in Oklahoma and Texas. Aren't they supposed to be having snow or at least freezing rain this time of year?

- Arianna Huffington

Edwina!

Post Number: 917
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 7:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Tropical Storm Zeta

- Arianna Huffington

anna
Username: anna

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 1:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We have had major rain/warming and now have flooding. Ick, it is so soggy. The weather seems either way too cold/dry or way too warm/wet. Nothing in between. I hope things "normalize" a bit, whatever that is.....

miaree9
Username: miaree9

Post Number: 975
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 2:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Two weeks ago here in Abilene, Texas, we had about a week where the temperature stayed in the teens and 20's. For the past week and a half, the weather has been in the mid 70's during the day. On New Year's Day, the temperature is supposed to be 79 to 80 degrees. Weird weather, indeed!

Patricia Davis
Username: patricia

Post Number: 8727
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 2:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Northern California is getting hit with a brutal series of winter storms this week--as I write, the wind is literally *howling* around the house. And another house on another hill slid and injured a woman who had to be pulled from the wreckage of her home. Those of us who live on steep hillsides really fear even a moderate earthquake during very wet rainy seasons like this one--landslide danger is very high

miaree9

Post Number: 983
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Temperature in the mid 80's today here in Abilene, Texas. Even at this hour, it's still 66 degrees. The next few days, however, are only supposed to be in the mid 60's. That's much more seasonable for this area during January. It just seems bizarre to run the air conditioner in January!

slw
Username: slw

Post Number: 996
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

miaree, In a couple of weeks, we may be getting flooded like northern Calif. But for now, it's become so dry here in east Texas that I'm worried about some of the trees falling. For the past three weeks, I've watered the bushes around the house to keep them alive. I've never done that before in January. It was 83 degrees here today.

When we get a gully washer I always think of a man in Big Bend responding to my question of rainfall for his area. He said their average annual rainfall is 18 inches and I should be there when it happens!

miaree9

Post Number: 985
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Slw, I used to live in Mt. Pleasant, Texas, which is on I-30 between Dallas and Texarkana. I know that they are experiencing a more severe drought than we are here in Abilene, which tends to be semi-arid anyway. It really breaks my heart to think of all that beautiful, lush East Texas countryside turning dry and brown. I really hope you get some rain soon, but not so much that it floods. I've experienced flooding in that area, and it wasn't pleasant. My prayers for East Texas are for just the right amount of rain to green things up.

Edwina!

Post Number: 926
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10687464/

Tornadoes in eastern U.S. cause damage

Utility worker dies in Indiana; food store
leveled in Kentucky

Updated: 11:31 p.m. ET Jan. 2, 2006

Unseasonably warm weather brought severe storms to parts of the Ohio Valley and the South on Monday, spawning tornadoes, dropping hail and contributing to the death of a utility worker in Indiana.

Tornadoes were reported in Georgia and Kentucky. Three people were hospitalized with minor injuries in Georgiaís Pike County, about 50 miles south of Atlanta.

In suburban Atlanta, at least seven houses were damaged or destroyed near Tyrone by what residents said was a tornado. Near Palmetto, a tornado damaged about four houses, police said.

Liberty or Death!

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 2:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I took my daughter to the airport tonight in Bismarck. On the way back it was like driving through jellied brains (Tim Burton ref LOL ) the fog was so thick. Yes, I am saying that in ND, one of the most northern states, where it is supposed to be frozen solid right now... we have FOG. It was a spooky drive... if you know how many deer herds there are here. Not to mention just not being able to see the road. I thought I was back in MI.
Until humanity recognizes paradox as a definitive, the world shall know neither balance nor truth.

slw

Post Number: 998
Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

miaree, Somehow I missed your post above. I know where Mt. Pleasant is, pretty area. It's cooled off some here but supposed to be back up to 80 on Sunday.

The weather can be fierce where you are. Years ago, I was in a dust storm in Abilene! The sand got between the dishes in the cabinets!

I heard it may rain next week. One can only hope. Thanks for your prayers!

sharlr
Username: sharlr

Post Number: 785
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Just spotted this on the BBC news site. Coldest temperatures in Delhi in 70 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4592240.stm

Also, Japan is dealing with its heaviest snowfall on record.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4591950.stm
"Don't give me the Star Trek crap. It's too early in the morning."
Lister, The Last Day - Red Dwarf

Janet Rivenbark

Post Number: 583
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 8:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Can the weather get much more wacky? Last weekend the lows were in the high 20's. All week the highs have crept back up and today is it supposed to be 72 degrees. It is not 9am yet and it is 58 degrees outside. I slept with the windows open last night.

We are supposed to have thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow the high is going to be 55 and the low 30.

Weird is becoming the norm!
Janet

slw

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It finally rained a little here last night. The thunder and lightning were a treat after such a long dry spell. The wind was very strong and when I went outside I could smell smoke but there are no fires in this area. I heard on the news today that we were smelling smoke from Oklahoma. The Oklahoma border is about 90 miles north of here! The news showed many fires there all over the state! Those people need some help and some rain!

The Watcher
Advanced Member
Username: the_watcher

Post Number: 357
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's too bad they closed this thread, as it was one of the more popular ones. Earlier, I had stated that the springs here in MI had become quieter as the chorus of thousands of frogs waking from their winter thaw had stopped. Recent headlines on unknown country seem confirm that this "indicator" species may soon "disappear". Is a similar fate awaiting the human race?? Apparently the aliens, the greys, or whatever you wish to call them, have no doubts

I Swear
Username: i_swear

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Back in NH. I know I man been gone a while, but it is mid-Jan right? It's been 50's - 60's.
Snow gone. I think we have a 5th season now.."Wummer". Mi nuh love the cold (that why I man fly like a bird to the warm)but this is not good. Well, ah Jah works same way.
Give thanks fi life and experience.
RastafarI.

One Love

slw

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Something happened here that wasn't the weather's fault (not that I know of) but because of my last post above I'm posting about it here. Just after dark this evening, we heard fire trucks coming down the road from our little volunteer fire department. We didn't think too much about it and couldn't smell any smoke. Then I looked out my kitchen window and saw a house down the road behind us engulfed in flames! I stood on my backporch and watched it burn to the ground. It's so sad to see something destroyed like that! Thank God the wind wasn't blowing or this place would have been a goner, too! It's nice that the wind had stopped as it had been blowing all day and is again. You can bet I'll be keeping a vigil tonight watching for hot spots or flames flaring up!

slw

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 8:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The wind whipped up really hard today, I'd say gusts of about 30 mph. Before going to the store this afternoon, we drove by the burnt house to get a better look at it. It's a good thing we did.

A tall tree was still smoldering and some of the debris from the house. We tried putting it out with dirt and a neighbor stopped by and helped us. She called 911 and my hubby filled an old spray container with water and sprayed out most of the fire. An ember from the tree blew over on a fencerow and started flaming up. We were able to put that out (but it got a little frantic) before the fire dept got there. They were able to put out the tree.

It's odd and very fortunate how we timed our trip at just the right time!

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I've been meaning to get over here slw. Glad you are ok ! You are ok aren't you ?

Here in ND the ground is finally frozen. How long that will last is anybody's guess. I'm moving to Siberia.

Amaruk
Advanced Member
Username: machupicchu

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yesterday was a pot-pourri day for Quebec : rain, sleet, snow and gusts of wind, temperature drop from -15 to -12 Celsius(from the past few days) to + 3 Wednesday.

In Montreal, at 7:00AM it had been raining for 4 hours non-stop already!We woke up to icy sidewalks and all secondary streets were transformed into skating rinks. Schools were closed. Pedestrians were showered by cars passing them by. In some areas there was 12'' of water on top of the ice!

The whole St-Lawrence River Valley was put to the test from South to North, from Montreal to Quebec City to Rimouski : strong winds of 60 to 110 km/hr. Wild!

slw

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Krystal, Thanks, I am fine! Hope you are too! Still a bit windy and dry here!

We need some of y'all's snow and ice down here to kill off some insects, Texas size!

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 1:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Craziness Amuruk !

slw...glad to hear you are ok. That must have been quite a night.

uh..what snow and rain ? Something to know about the plains...if the weather channel maps say snow or rain...don't bet on it. It might look that way from above but it seldom touches the ground. At least... anymore.

Indy
Username: indy

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 5:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Don't know for sure if this qualifies or not... but here in Indianapolis, IN we have experienced 29 days in a row of above normal temps. As of Jan 20th we are running 14.6 degrees above normal this month. I haven't seen anything like it. Even Jan 1998 wasn't this bad. There is also no sign that the warmth will break before the end of Jan meaning we will likely finish the month with every day being above normal. I don't recall that ever happening here.

rebecca

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Here in No. California where it is usually cold this time of year 30's to 50's it got up to 76 F yesterday and today is pretty warm too. Not as warm as yesterday but still above average.

Indy
Username: indy

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Its the 25th today and our string of above normal temperatures continues. 32 straight days above normal. If the 10 day forecast holds up we will likely be looking at a string of over 40 consecutive days above normal.

rebecca

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I guess Hawaii beats us all. Snow there for the first time ever??? I guess Park Rangers don't remember ever seeing snow there before.

nadm
Advanced Member
Username: nadm

Post Number: 290
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

that's a totally fabricated quote. i just posted this on another thread:

don't believe all the "news" you read on this site's front page. and please guys, don't take this the wrong way--i do believe we are witnessing severe signs of global climate change. but snow on Mauna Kea is not all that strange, and no park ranger who has been there for a year would say they'd never seen it. a friend who can see Mauna Kea from her porch across the island loves to tell how the weather on her side can be fifties and gently raining, while up at the observatory on Mauna Kea they are iced in or getting an inch of snow.

it was a dumb example to use, because people who don't know the normal weather of the big island think it uniformly tropical. Mauna Kea is something like 14,000 feet elevation, as is Mauna Loa, the other major volcanic mountain on the Hilo side of the island.

they even list snow white-out as a specific danger when visiting the Mauna Kea observatory:

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/mko/severe_weather.htm

sometimes the "news" on this site reads a lot like the infamous check-out line papers at the grocery.

Patricia Davis
Username: patricia

Post Number: 8961
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

My sister in western PA just emailed to report that yesterday they had a thunder and lightning *snow storm*--!

Quigs
Username: astralgazer

Post Number: 866
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's going to be 40 darn degrees today. 40 in January in North Dakota is not normal! In some parts of the state it may reach 46 today. That is April weather not January weather. Of course the meteorologists are saying that we are in a "warming trend". Warming trend my azz! This ain't right and everyone knows it.
"War is a racket...War is largely a matter of money. Bankers lend money to foreign countries and when they cannot pay, the President sends Marines to get it." Maj. Gen. Butler

Krystal Gale Potter

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yes, the weather is lovely is'nt it Quiggs ? My bulbs should come up any day at this rate. ( you are not imagining sarcasm nor am I exaggerating ) On the good side, Dave might go back to work sooner. On the bad side... PAIN ! Can I sue the state for not being cold enough ?

ldyhawk369
Intermediate Member
Username: ldyhawk369

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 6:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I was wondering when the increase in winds were going to be noticed. It has been extremely windy here in NY on and off. I feel I have to really hold on tight to my steering wheel because it blows me around , pretty scary. It has been happening at least 3 days a week. By the time I get home my hands have to be peeled off the steering wheel. Yikes has anyone else noticed this?

merovee
Advanced Member
Username: merovee

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yeah, it's supposed to be 40f in Michigan tomorrow. Every day this month has been way warmer than normal for january. Normally it is single digits, of course I'm not complaining about the heat wave, but what's July and August going to be like? January felt more like October, and what was weird is that Noveber actually felt like January, so does that mean August will feel like November? If so, yikes!

Quigs
Username: astralgazer

Post Number: 882
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

This isn't my weird weather but I saw this on the CNN website

Tornado in LA in January? I have never lived there or even visited but is this normal? Those poor people.
"War is a racket...War is largely a matter of money. Bankers lend money to foreign countries and when they cannot pay, the President sends Marines to get it." Maj. Gen. Butler