Archive through January 23, 2012animalspirits75 1-23-12  7:58 am
Archive through June 30, 2012animalspirits75 6-30-12  9:07 pm
Archive through July 21, 2013lassensage75 7-21-13  5:39 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sharon2
Username: sharon2468

Post Number: 4983
Posted on Monday, July 22, 2013 - 6:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We had three inches of rain this afternoon.

It seems like the weather we are having is either one extreme or the other.
Our life is determined by the choices we make!

kathy decker
Advanced Member
Username: fand

Post Number: 390
Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

And now it's ...COLD. Sorry, but a high of 67 degrees in August feels strange..the heat seemed more natural.
This chilly weather is supposed to last for nearly two weeks.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5006
Posted on Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 6:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The mid 70s is very cool for August here as well. Our dogwood trees are turning red, early.

anna
Username: anna

Post Number: 3557
Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Huge flooding in Manila-
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/20/world/asia/philippines-floods/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
http://energy-creations.blogspot.com/

To insist that the only reality are phenomenon that can be submitted to the paradigm of classical science is itself a religion- Dietrick Thomson

anna

Post Number: 3558
Posted on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 7:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Fires still really bad here, just praying for some heavy steady rains here to col things off....

To insist that the only reality are phenomenon that can be submitted to the paradigm of classical science is itself a religion- Dietrick Thomson

anna

Post Number: 3560
Posted on Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We got a really big downpour tonite! Hopefully it will calm down the fires. Dropped 20+ degrees in an hour, what a relief...

lassensage
Advanced Member
Username: lassensage

Post Number: 281
Posted on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Glad you got rain in your area, Anna. We've been watering heavily for days while waiting for the thunder storms to hit us this week.

Mostly missed us, but kept us watching for news of dry lightening strikes and fires close to us.

Finally cooled off here, too.

Yosemite needs some prayers for rain.

blue
Username: jennyblue

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Friday, August 23, 2013 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The showers were coming, then later, then suppose to miss us, too -- but I hung a large blanket on the line to dry outdoors in the morning -- and it worked like a charm ;) plenty enough rain to satisfy thirsty trees (and other plants, too :-)
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Hopi Elders 2001.

to be a rock and still to roll . . .
change we can believe in is here -- The Ed Show
Love is the Way ~ Jesus of Nazareth

anna

Post Number: 3561
Posted on Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hot and 95 and smoky. The fire near Sun Valley is getting better contained. We're actually getting smoke here in Boise from the California fire! Bad enough to have our own smoke, now we have theirs. Some of my friends and I are praying for rain there....

Ldyhawk369
Username: ldyhawk369

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 6:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Very strange weather, 44 degrees on Monday morning, today heat index of 103. Crazy!

anna

Post Number: 3562
Posted on Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We've been warmer than usual (90's) for this time of year. It's raining tonite and supposed to get down in the 70's soon. I'm ready for fall. I'll be curious to see if we have another really mild Oct./Nov. Last year I ripped out my veggie garden in mid-Oct. or so. Could have left it til mid-Nov.!

anna

Post Number: 3563
Posted on Monday, September 16, 2013 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Lots of rain here, the last week- mud slides, roads washed out. Lost power a bit, gutter's over flowing. Heat and rain= miserable. Drying out, cooling off, happy dance!

anna

Post Number: 3564
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 1:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Fall is finally settling in, I think. Last year it was pretty warm clear into late Oct. Down in the 70's, then 60 this week, with rain, and snow predicted in the mountains :-)

QuantumJohnny
Username: quantumjohnny

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 3:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The Pacific Northwest had better get ready. Remnants of Pacific typhoon, Pabuk, are going to be providing high winds and possible record rainfall totals.

anna

Post Number: 3565
Posted on Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 9:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yes, we're ready. Pouring in Portland, Seattle, hitting us tonite.

cherokee
Username: cherokee

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 9:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Where have all the birdies gone? we have a feeder in our large picture window. It is big screen kitty TV. From March through October I have to fill it every day. From the end of October through the end of February I fill it about every four days. But this year I haven't had to fill in two months and it's still half full.

I've been scratching my head and was quite bumfuzzled over this for the last couple of months but now I'm pretty sure I know what's going on. It was one of those "duh" moments.

The Old Farmers Almanac predicted a colder snowier Winter many month back and as usual they seem to be right on the money. The day before Thanksgiving we awoke to a blanket of white covering Mole Hollow. Like some other parts of the country, we got the earliest snowfall on record. Thanksgiving Day was the coldest in over a hundred years.

Hmmm, I thought, that explains the lack of Birdies. As with other critters, they knew months ago what was coming and they moved further south rather than wintering here like they usually do.

I imagine they're down in south Florida on the sunny beaches sitting in little lounge chairs sipping cocktails in tiny glasses containing pieces of fruit and those itty bitty umbrellas. Lucky them.

Articles are appearing about the current sun cycle. Sun spots are a rare as the birdies and that means colder weather. Some scientists are saying the sun is entering a cycle of lack of sunspots just like during the little ice age and this may just be the start of another one.

The little ice age was roughly from around 1600 to 1850 AD. Winters were brutal. In Charles Dicken's Christmas Carol London was covered in snow. The Dutch ice skated on the canals. George Washington and the Continental Army suffered their brutal Winter at Vally forge.

If we are entering a cycle of low sun spot activity, this is just the beginning. Winters will continue to get colder and it could last for several hundred years. Brrrr.

Methinks I need to split more firewood.

Best Wishes from Cold Hollow

blue

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Saturday, November 30, 2013 - 7:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

a tale of two worlds . . .
Hopi Elders 2001.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5284
Posted on Friday, December 06, 2013 - 8:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

This morning we are waiting for ice and snow to hit.
I filled the bathtub with water for flushing... just in case.

cherokee

Post Number: 1599
Posted on Friday, December 06, 2013 - 2:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sharon- You are wise.

After we got the earliest snow on record and the coldest temps in over a hundred years, the last couple days have been in the seventies. Glory Hallelujah Spring is here!

Best Wishes from Mole Hollow

Sharon2

Post Number: 5285
Posted on Friday, December 06, 2013 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Cherokee, yesterday it was 60 here - way weird!

We didn't get the ice, just the snow today.
In the teens tonight, but our pellet stove is keeping us toasty!

That's what we get for living in Ohio.
GO BUCKEYES!

cherokee

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Saturday, December 07, 2013 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sharon- Good for you that you got snow and not ice. I'll take snow any day. Them ice storms bring down power lines and trees which fall on power lines. Ick.

The Barn Goddess doesn't believe Spring is here and sez that Winter is merely on a brief vacation. She says I should keep splitting firewood. Silly girl, it's downright balmy

But for you, keep splitting those wood pellets.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5289
Posted on Saturday, December 07, 2013 - 6:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Ha Ha, splitting pellets is much easier than splitting tree trunks!

Cherokee, do you have a wood splitter(other than yourself)?

QuantumJohnny
Username: quantumjohnny

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 2:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The western US has been feeling a cold snap this past week. Snow on the valley floor from Washington to California. The morning low temperatures on 12/8 may be the lowest temperatures recorded in history.

cherokee

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 6:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sharon- Nope, just me. The Barn Goddess sez it's good exercise. She's always looking out for my best interest doncha know. I find downed trees in our forest, cut them into sections and haul them back to the barn. Then the fun begins.

Seems she was right about Spring not being here. This morning it's brrr degrees.

blue

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 8:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

jet stream doesnt seem to move into a winter pattern . . . the up and down wavy pattern of the spring/fall patterns has persisted into summer/winter. With all the additional moisture in the air due to melting (and other stuff, too) . . . the likelihood of storms and extreme weather events increases (obviously) . . . however, imo, people influence weather events as well -- and staying calm and feeling prepared in case something happens is probably a good strategy when facing extreme weather phenomenon.

Its brrr here, too w/some snow expected (just west of Lake Michigan). Take care all . . . solar is a bit extreme right now as well :-)

good stuff on this guy's show . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYwWa-xPnK0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUTiL1q9YbrVam5nP2xzFTWQ

(Message edited by jennyblue on December 08, 2013)
Hopi Elders 2001.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5291
Posted on Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Wow, Blue! That guy really knows his stuff. I bookmarked him in my favorites.
I didn't know half of the things he was talking about but it is fascinating!

lassensage
Advanced Member

Post Number: 300
Posted on Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 1:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

10F here last night,very cold with 10inches of snow. And 6 inches down in the valley at sea level, where it only snows every 5 to 10 yrs. Staying snug and warm with a roaring fire going in the wood stove.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5292
Posted on Monday, December 09, 2013 - 6:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Now, THAT'S winter weather!!!

cherokee

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Looks like we're going to have a much colder Winter this year. Brrr. Some say this solar cycle will bring colder Winters for the next hundred years, others that it will be for several hundred years. The US has already broken over 1,000 record low temps and a new world record low of minus 135 degrees F.

Even if it's just this Winter it means higher energy usage resulting in high bills. Here are some tips to save energy and save $$$$. There are too many to list so I'm providing the ones that will save the most money for the least effort and at little or no cost. How much you save depends on several factors including the size of your home, the number of occupants, condition of your home, etc.

1. This one can save you around $40 to $60 per month, $480 to $$720 per year, you can start right now, and it cost you nothing.

Electric water heaters cut on and off 24/7 keeping the water up to temperature whether you use it or not. So when do you use hot water?
Example: We take showers or baths every day around 7:00 PM. We also use some hot water in the mornings. Our water heater turns on at 6:00 PM and off at 7:00 PM. (It only runs for 30-45 minutes because as soon as it reaches optimal temp it shuts off automatically.) There's still plenty of hot water the next day.

How to do it: The no cost way is to simply flip off and on the circuit breaker according to your schedule. Or you can install a timer available at home improvement stores that will pay for itself in only one or two months. Also install an insulation blanket made for water heaters. Insulate all exposed hot water pipes with foam tubes made for that purpose. Cheap.

Gas Water heaters- Not so simple because they have a pilot light. If it's shut off requires you re-light the pilot every day. But if you have expensive LP gas it's definitely worth the trouble.

2. Drafty windows and exterior doors are a big energy leak that are easy and cheap to fix. From the inside, look all along the top, sides, and especially the bottom. Can you see daylight? Use smoke and run it along every side to see if it is affected. From the outside, check to see if the door presses tightly against every inch of the weatherstripping. Sometimes the stripping can be adjusted. New or additional stripping is available at home improvement stores. The door bottom is the most common problem as the strip wears down from rubbing against the threshold. Check windows for leaks too and if found home improvement stores have solutions.

3. Switch plates and electrical outlets on exterior walls leak too. Remove the cover plates and install foam plates made specifically for that purpose then reinstall the cover plates.

4. Caulk around exterior window and door trim. You don't have to be an expert to do a neat job, just use clear caulk. Cheap.

5. Add attic insulation. This can cost far less than you think and might even be done for free. Check with your power company for energy saving offers. A friend of mine had a contractor add insulation to his attic and the power company wrote him a check for hundreds of dollar more than the cost.

Measure the depth and type of your attic insulation. Compare that to what is recommended in your area. Some home improvement stores will loan you the blower for free when you purchase insulation. It's an easy job. One person uses the hose to blow the insulation into the attic while a second person is outside feeding the hopper. Takes about 30 minutes or less. Figure out how much you need and price the insulation. Or simply figure the square footage and the folks at the store will do the rest. Not expensive and will save you real money. Payback time will be short.

6. Clothes dryer- All that heat vented to the outside could be used to help heat your home. Although it contains a lot of moisture, winter interior air is too dry anyway. Home improvement stores carry a thingy with a lever that switches the exhaust air from outside to inside. Cheap.

7. Energy is very expensive in Europe compared to here. Europeans typically heat only one or two rooms, the ones being occupied. Are there rooms in your home that don't need to be heated all the time? That could be big savings.

8. Install a programmable thermostat. You can each day of the week separately. It can be programmed to lower the heat at night and while you are at work, etc

9. Replace electric blankets with goose down comforters.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5296
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2013 - 6:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Good tips, Cherokee!

Did you also know that if you turn your water heater down to 120 degrees (from the standard 140 degrees), that would bring your costs down as well. It is amazing how long your water will stay warm even after the power has been off.

If you don't want to buy the outlet covers, clear packing tape will keep the cold out, too.

We use space heaters a lot. It's still way cheaper to heat a small space (bathrooms) than to heat the entire house. We keep our thermostat on 68 but our pellet stove keeps the temps above that. Our furnace seldom comes on.

Quilted window coverings are excellent at keeping the cold out.

I wear hoodies inside and camping socks instead of slippers. Wool really does a nice job keeping your toes warm. Easy to wash, too.

cherokee

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2013 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Sharon- Great idea with the packing tape. Ya just can't beat Mother Nature's wool & goose down. Last Christmas I gave the Barn Goddess a pair of lambs wool lined slippers that looked like cowboy boots. I found them at the local farm supply store. When she unwrapped them the tag said, "Cowboy Kickers." Not having her reading glasses on she exclaimed, "Sh*t Kickers?!"

Michael Smith
Advanced Member
Username: by_name_only

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2013 - 9:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Snow covering the pyramids and sphinx in Egypt. Everyday, stories on the news about massive car pile ups on the freeways across large parts of the US http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/cairo-snow-egyptian-capital-sees-2923418 #ixzz2nOgAdWeR

Are there any updates on the Gulf Stream weakening?

Sharon2

Post Number: 5297
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2013 - 9:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Oh Jeez! Here we go again! Winter Storm 'Electra' is on it's way!

Ldyhawk369

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2013 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Snowing here since 7. Just glad not work day! : )

anna

Post Number: 3567
Posted on Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We've been told this will be a "normal" winter here. So far- record early cold, below teens in Nov., 2 snowstorms, really cold in Dec. for here (12). This is NOT normal....

cook
Intermediate Member
Username: cook

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, December 27, 2013 - 7:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

22 degrees Celsius one day, 38 degrees Celsius the next, 20 degrees Celsius the next. Not unusual in Melbourne.

xretsim
Username: xretsim

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2013 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

the weather is unusually warm here, next to the oslo fjord. these rain storms (same as uk) are causing quite a bit of damage.

Ldyhawk369

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 7:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Weather is crazy, snow freezing temps , freezing rain. Temps going up tonight rain and thunder! Tomorrow rain, temps going down to 4 degrees! Yikes!

Sharon2

Post Number: 5331
Posted on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I was watching the weather channel and one of the young women showed the US map and 90% of the states had below freezing temps!!!!

THAT IS BIZARRE!

anna

Post Number: 3570
Posted on Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 7:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I think this may be the "new normal", really extreme weather, for longer periods :-(

Sharon2

Post Number: 5333
Posted on Thursday, January 09, 2014 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

And THAT'S the truth!!!!

Sharon2

Post Number: 5336
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Direct TV cancelled The Weather Channel. I sent them an email with millions of others but it didn't help.
I am bummed. I would tune in when any unusual weather was happening in the world.

And as Anna pointed out, unusual weather seems to be the norm.

Buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 6395
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The Weather Network up here
is a part of every package..

I found my Bus Stop Bunny..
he/she left foot tracks in
some soft snow covering the Ice..
I was so happy my heart was
singing..i THOUGHT maybe He/She
was caught up in the food chain :-)

Sharon2

Post Number: 5344
Posted on Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 7:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hey Buddie, give 'Bus Stop Bunny' a carrot from me. But don't let anyone see you do it.

Ldyhawk369

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Monday, January 20, 2014 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

More snow and 15 below zero wind chill coming tomorrow! Wishing for early spring : )

Ldyhawk369

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 7:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

So it snowed again today, will snow again Tuesday night into Wednesday, then on Saturday could have 30 inches or 3 inches! Please stop snowing! We have enough : )

anna

Post Number: 3571
Posted on Monday, February 03, 2014 - 7:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Send some snow here! We had 1" measly snow today. We need more. Supposed to be 18 in the morning, and getting colder...

Sharon2

Post Number: 5363
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Anna, I'm visualizing snow for you! Hope it works!

lassensage
Advanced Member

Post Number: 305
Posted on Friday, February 07, 2014 - 1:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Finally a sprinkling of snow and some rain here, and more on the way!!

anna

Post Number: 3572
Posted on Friday, February 14, 2014 - 6:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We went from snow to wet and warm, 47...

anna

Post Number: 3575
Posted on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

60 yesterday, almost balmy! Back to the 30's tonite with some snow, go figure :-(

cherokee

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 1:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Week before last we were snowed in for two days. Last week we were snowed in for three days, two of those off the grid. That was inconvenient. I had to go outside and crank the generator.

This week it's been in the seventies. Songbirds are singing, jonquils are up- it's the light at the end of the tunnel. The promise that Spring will indeed come. But in the meantime we're sure to get more cold & snow. So it goes.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5376
Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 1:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mother Nature keeps us on our toes!

lassensage
Advanced Member

Post Number: 306
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 5:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

This Feb. is warmer then our typical May..Most of winter has passed us by.

I don't miss shoveling snow off the roof!

Sharon2

Post Number: 5397
Posted on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

MAY! What's May? I kind of remember that month!

That's something I've never done before... shovel snow off the roof.

lassensage
Advanced Member

Post Number: 307
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Noticed some Canadian Geese hanging out in the meadows..Just a few.. And I saw some daffodils blooming down the mountain at 3,000ft elevation, and one small wild apple tree.

Heck of a rainstorm passed through last couple of days, about the lowest reading on the barometer that I've ever seen.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5423
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 9:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We just got back from visiting family in Florida. In Alabama, some magnolia trees were flowering already.

Now, back in Ohio, we might get a foot of snow by morning.

Amazing how a day's drive can change things!

anna

Post Number: 3578
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

High 50's and raining. Feels like late April/May!

blue

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Lower Great Lakes region -- cold, snow, and more cold. (People here are getting real creative in dealing w/the ice.) But, I am seeing/have seen signs of spring lately as well . . . The critters are getting restless for one thing. and there seem to be more bird species hanging around the food. I heard geese a couple of weeks ago. I still am wondering if I imagined it ;) But your experiences lead me to believe I was not :-)
Hopi Elders 2001.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5424
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 8:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

March 3rd and still might get below zero temps tonight. We lucked out on the snow. It went south of us. Its 14 degrees right now. Fingers crossed and still hoping that spring will come sooner rather than later.

anna

Post Number: 3589
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 7:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

75 here today, unusually warm.

blue

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Comic relief: there seems to be a correlation in my world between: precipitation/temperature extremes -- and Wednesdays (which just happen to be senior discount shopping day at my food store (second largest expense in my budget) . . .

ps. torrential downpours, high wind gusts, erratic wind in general, relatively rapid changes in humidity levels (daily) here in the uppermidwest . . . but, otherwise sunny and mild :-) Praying for people caught up in destructive weather everywhere . . .

(Message edited by jennyblue on June 18, 2014)
Hopi Elders 2001.

anna

Post Number: 3601
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Now we've been unusually COLD! Freeze warnings last several days west of us, lows in the 40's. It was high 50's/60 and really windy yesterday, had the heat on in the morning. 90 forecast for Sat. On the weather report it looked exactly like a polar vortex- cold rotating down from Canada and then back up and around in a circle.
http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/

Sharon2

Post Number: 5598
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 5:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

In the 90s in Central Ohio! More like July weather - Hot and Humid

But that is preferable to 25 below zero - real temperature this past winter!
"I believe in the sun even if it isn't shining. I believe in love even if I am alone. I believe in God even when He is silent."

anna

Post Number: 3604
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 6:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I hear you, as it was below 0 this last winter here too :-(

lassensage
Advanced Member

Post Number: 321
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2014 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Mild summer here with chilly nights in the 40's. Had to have a fire couple of nights ago when another cold front came through..Odd summer.
Already have pine cones falling,don't want be under the trees when the wind blows.Usually when we have lots of pine cones it means a hard winter is coming..Almost no pine cones last yr and very mild winter with little snow.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5599
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2014 - 7:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi Lassensage, how have you been?
Wasn't it weird how most of the U.S. had below normal temps last winter (even the Fla. panhandle had freezing temps) and your area was mild? Strange Weather!
"I believe in the sun even if it isn't shining. I believe in love even if I am alone. I believe in God even when He is silent."

lassensage
Advanced Member

Post Number: 322
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 1:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Hi Sharon, thanks for asking.Hope you are doing well. Been an interesting yr so far. Intense energies and lots of clearing out of the old fussy,pessimistic energy.

And yes, very weird weather here.Had much more rain and very little snow last winter...Oddly enough our nights were often warmer during the winter then in the nearby Valley..

The yr before we would have snow, then it would warm up and melt, only to freeze..lots of ice..I used a pick-axe more then our collection of snow shovels.

Planning on an extreme winter this yr, already have most of our fire-wood ordered. Very happy to have cold fronts and more humidity then normal this summer..keeps the fire danger down.

We average 20 degrees F cooler then the valley just 50miles down the mountain..Redding,Ca. in the valley is also having cooling trends every other wk this summer..Funny to see the local TV channel weather folks trying to explain this.

Buddie
Username: buddie

Post Number: 6503
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 3:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Perhaps..
Mother Earth is tired of baby sitting
delinquent habits..
I can't but wonder where I'm bound

anna

Post Number: 3605
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's been cooler and raining again, nice for the garden!

lassensage
Advanced Member

Post Number: 323
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Cool 64F here today after a good soaking rain late yesterday that lasted through the night. Just below 50F for an overnight low. Very strange to have any rain in the summer here, and very welcome.

Predicting a cold winter, a multitude of squirrels have appeared the last couple of weeks and are already gathering up pine cones.

anna

Post Number: 3606
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2014 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Some cool wind and rain last night here, odd for this time of year. 90 by Sat.

lassensage
Advanced Member

Post Number: 324
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 4:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Chilly 48F last night and very hot 90F in the shade by 1pm today.

lassensage
Advanced Member

Post Number: 327
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 2:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Raining here since last night..unheard of to rain in Aug. here, and very welcome as we have some huge wild fires that were mostly uncontainable.Has saved the little mountain town of Burney,Ca.

bean
Username: tina

Post Number: 2773
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 8:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Wow, Lessensage! Quite a spread! We have spreads too, but not in the summer!

Sure wish we would get rain for hours....We need it so badly..

Michael Smith
Advanced Member

Post Number: 399
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 4:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Massive rain and flooding in some parts of the world, critical droughts in others.

Is it just me, or does this mid-August seem more like mid September? The leaves are starting to change color early, my perennials which sometimes lasted well into October are starting to go already, and it just feels like autumn to me. Anyone else noticing this?

anna

Post Number: 3608
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 6:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yes, it's cooling off here in Boise too, a bit more rain, fall-ish storms coming thru. I'm ready for fall :-) I hope we get lots of snow, with snow days this winter!!!

Michael Smith
Advanced Member

Post Number: 400
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I have this feeling you will get your wish. I used to love the snow when I was young, not so much now since I have grown old and have decreased circulation from diabetes. The cold hurts, especially last winter. And driving on icy roads....I nearly died and was on life support/bed ridden for a year after a head on collision, no desire to go through that again.

cherokee

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 3:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

The Old Farmers Almanac is predicting an extremely cold Winter. The Barn Goddess sez I need to get crackin' splitting firewood.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5625
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 6:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

We had the most beautiful summer here, in central Ohio. But since July was cooler and less humid, I wonder if the winter will mean another brutally cold one???

Good luck with your wood splitting, Cherokee!

Michael Smith
Advanced Member

Post Number: 405
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 8:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I am hedging that all of the next winters will get colder and colder. I am wondering if this is a result of the Gulf Stream weakening or what they are calling "global dimming". A great many people have been told that there will be "major earth changes", even that "their world is ending". This summer was mild, and like I noted, it seems more like September than August to me.

anna

Post Number: 3609
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 9:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

It's cooling a bit here too....

Michael Smith
Advanced Member

Post Number: 409
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Late into this link, you will see the reality and consequences of climate change. Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrz5ucQACo8

Michael Smith
Advanced Member

Post Number: 425
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2014 - 1:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Snowing in the Dakotas and parts of Canada already? People here are walking around in their fall attire, I remember most years it stayed hot and humid well into October.

anna

Post Number: 3611
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2014 - 3:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

Yes, we just saw snow at the Can/Montana border a few days ago. Another polar vortex on it's way? We about 10 degrees below normal this month, nice for us now, but what does that mean for fall/winter???

Sharon2

Post Number: 5644
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2014 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I had my space heater on this morning - 47F outside! Pretty early for central Ohio but you never know what to expect anymore. When its cloudy, its very chilly. When the sun is out, you don't know what to do with the extra clothes you wore.

Sharon2

Post Number: 5651
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 2:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post

I noticed that our large, maple tree is turning yellow. That doesn't usually happen until mid-October.

A month early!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: